Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  04:35:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to go through the remaining FB&C albums to make an informed choice, since voting Golem is just lazy (in my case) and I believe that although the album has never really made me want to come back for another listen it should be credited on the merit of it's own uniqueness and in the context of the fact it is a soundtrack.

Currently listening to FB&C's (first album) and I'm suprised it's getting voted down really because it's a fine album. I guess the later albums are better though. I can't really remember how much I liked them.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  07:52:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FB&C’s is outstanding in my view. We have a couple, maybe a few to go before I would vote for it. I suspect I won’t have to though.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  01:11:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tough one to call on the remaining FB&C albums. I know DITS is a popular one, but I'd rate DITS, BLD and SMYT about the same: all have a variety of weak and strong tracks that makes it impossible to decide. FB&C is the strongest album I think. I think I'll give Golem a pass this week, not that it's going to make much difference and go for Black Letter Days, despite the fact it's got Cold Heart of Stone and Jet Black River on it.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  03:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised Bluefinger is slipping under the radar,it's got a couple of absolute classics on it but I always get a 'what could have been vibe' when I listen to it..
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  04:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB&C first album is one of my favorites. It is a great rocker and I love the guitar work.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  04:23:42  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

I'm surprised Bluefinger is slipping under the radar,it's got a couple of absolute classics on it but I always get a 'what could have been vibe' when I listen to it..

I don't think it's slipping under the radar. I think no one is going near it yet because it's spectacular.

Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  04:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

I don't think it's slipping under the radar. I think no one is going near it yet because it's spectacular.

I do like it and it definitely starts spectacular but once it gets past Threshold, I really miss Joey or someone bringing that bit of extra business.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  00:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alas, it is bad news indeed for der Golem as the forum voted to end its short life.

What happens in week 20? Voting starts now.

Gone

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides
Head Carrier
FMRM
Pistolero*
SVN Fingers*
Devil's Workshop
Golem

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Show Me Your Tears
Bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  01:34:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bye Golem.

Well I guess I'm voting again for BLD this week then..
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  02:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured FB&TC might be a lock to be one of the final two Catholics albums, but it's been getting more votes than BLD or SMYT (and DITS, which I think has gotten none).

FB&TC is a beast! Before I vote for BLD again, can the proponents of that album tell me what it's got going for it that can compare with All My Ghosts/Dog Gone/Solid Gold/Suffering ?

thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  02:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Show Me Your Tears
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  02:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting FB&C

All My Ghosts and Dog Gone are from the top-drawer
But I really felt let down by this album after the first FB solo albums, which were so much more creative, weird, fun, effortless
FB&C is sweaty and old-school, I prefer either former work or later albums

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  04:16:55  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might be tossing a grenade here, but for my money, the only preceding solo album that tops FB&C is TOTY. I also will probably be flamed but I would maybe even vote for Come On Pilgrim before FB&C.

No vote yet, need to think a little.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  04:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

I figured FB&TC might be a lock to be one of the final two Catholics albums, but it's been getting more votes than BLD or SMYT (and DITS, which I think has gotten none).

FB&TC is a beast! Before I vote for BLD again, can the proponents of that album tell me what it's got going for it that can compare with All My Ghosts/Dog Gone/Solid Gold/Suffering ?

thanks!

I agree with you, which is why I have yet to cast a vote for FB&C's. I think it's way more rocking than many of the other Catholics records, and is superior to most of them other than DITS. Then again, I'm still surprised Pistolero got voted off so long ago.

My theory re: people's opinions of FB&C's is that it was such a departure in sound from the arc that began with 1.0 through the three Imperial Era FB albums that people still associate their initial reaction to it when they think of the album to this day. Also, I think a lot of people can't stand Six Sixty Six for a lot of reasons, and that song has never grown on them like it has for a lot of us (I'm even into the acapella version these days). So those are my thoughts. But I won't have any tears to show if FB&C's gets voted off this round, considering it's made it to the dirty dozen.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  04:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB & Cs is a great album, still too early for it to go...

I'm casting a lonely vote for Bluefinger, for reasons above.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  05:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aha, now Bluefinger finally comes up and this could be a whole big discussion as well (and I hope we have some big discussions).

I agree that this album is terrific, and that it is flawed. In that sense I guess it's like Herman Brood himself (and Charles). The B sides I love, but they're on Abbabubba, so they don't count here. I think the whole album could have been shorter, but it's already a short one. It will be interesting to see how many votes it gets.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  08:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

Aha, now Bluefinger finally comes up and this could be a whole big discussion as well (and I hope we have some big discussions).

I agree that this album is terrific, and that it is flawed. In that sense I guess it's like Herman Brood himself (and Charles). The B sides I love, but they're on Abbabubba, so they don't count here. I think the whole album could have been shorter, but it's already a short one. It will be interesting to see how many votes it gets.

I like the songs but they deserve a bit more in terms of arrangements - there's not even a great deal of guitar overdubbing from Charles (if any). I always miss something beyond the rhythm to counterpoint the vocal melodies.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  10:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I like the songs but they deserve a bit more in terms of arrangements - there's not even a great deal of guitar overdubbing from Charles (if any). I always miss something beyond the rhythm to counterpoint the vocal melodies.

Actually, I like how bared down Bfinger sounds compared to other things. I can't really explain why some of the songs don't grab me other than I wish the whole thing sounded like Threshold
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  11:14:43  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’ve definitely gone into detail on Bluefinger elsewhere, but for me it’s perfect as is. I love the loose, tossed off, not overbaked vibe (yay we did it!), I love the songs, I love the performance, love the production. I can’t imagine it any other way. It’s definitely one of the best things he’s done in my opinion, top to bottom.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/12/2019 11:15:00
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  12:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, I like how bared down Bfinger sounds compared to other things. I can't really explain why some of the songs don't grab me other than I wish the whole thing sounded like Threshold

Threshold's the key. It's so good, there's no space for anything else in it - it's pretty much perfect. But it's so early in the running order, the rest suffers by comparison.
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  13:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My theory re: people's opinions of FB&C's is that it was such a departure in sound from the arc that began with 1.0 through the three Imperial Era FB albums that people still associate their initial reaction to it when they think of the album to this day. Also, I think a lot of people can't stand Six Sixty Six for a lot of reasons, and that song has never grown on them like it has for a lot of us (I'm even into the acapella version these days). So those are my thoughts. But I won't have any tears to show if FB&C's gets voted off this round, considering it's made it to the dirty dozen.

This pretty much sums it up for me as far as my experience with FB&C's goes.

I remember being in a used cd store, listening for the first time to snippets of TOTY's songs and being super excited about what I was hearing. The hooks, catchy melodies, weirdness.. everything was still there.

Later, I asked if I could listen to FB&C's for a little bit. And the contrast was so immense, it was hard to believe it was the same songwriter. Everything was much looser, his singing, the songs seemed to be longer, but with not that many interesting parts, and the hooks didn't seem to register until Dog Gone came on. Also, the sound of the recording was weird as hell.

Still hate the backing vocals in most Catholic´s songs.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  22:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First update (so far as I can tell)

FB and C's - 1

BLD - 1

SMYT - 1

BF - 1
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  04:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB&C and it's not even close. As I mentioned a few rounds ago, All My Ghosts and Dog Gone are top tier, but the rest lack the imagination of the earlier period and the subtlety of the later Catholics album. To be a bit polemical to make my lower ranking of the album more intelligible: this and Pistolero are his most Foo Fighters-esque albums.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  05:16:57  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... had to look up "polemical" :-)

I'll go with BLD

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  06:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLD
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  06:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn. I think Bluefinger is easily a candidate for the best album Frank Black has ever made. I think it's a masterpiece.
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  07:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going with FB&C
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  22:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update

FBandC's - 3

BLD - 3

SMYT - 1

BF - 1
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2019 :  12:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Letter Days

Highlight for me is 21 Reasons. I love that song. I Will Run After You stands out too, I prefer this version to the SSMVGD one.

But other than that nothing really blows me away like on the other remaining albums. I could probably name all the songs but ask me to sequence the album correctly and I'd struggle. It just hasn't made that impression on me.

I would also be really sad to see FB&C's go. It's an absolute beast. Before we started I actually expected it to be the second highest ranking Catholics album, after DITS.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2019 :  17:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

Black Letter Days

Highlight for me is 21 Reasons. I love that song. I Will Run After You stands out too, I prefer this version to the SSMVGD one.

But other than that nothing really blows me away like on the other remaining albums. I could probably name all the songs but ask me to sequence the album correctly and I'd struggle. It just hasn't made that impression on me.

I would also be really sad to see FB&C's go. It's an absolute beast. Before we started I actually expected it to be the second highest ranking Catholics album, after DITS.

I agree with this, except Whispering Weeds is my favorite song on it.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  02:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm going to be a close one this week. As I much prefer alt-country Caholics than the rockout version I will go for FB&C (BF beats them both)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  05:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I can tell the Monday morning update looks like:

BLD - 4

FB&C's - 3

SMYT - 1

BF - 1

Do people really like SMYT better than all other Catholics albums other than DITS? I'm surprised by this.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  06:50:57  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SMYT, BLD, and DW are all pretty much even for me, so it’s six in one half dozen in the other as far as voting order goes.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  07:17:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have to pick one, no matter how much it pains you.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  07:23:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

You have to pick one, no matter how much it pains you.

Who, me? I already did.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000