Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2021 :  10:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're an older chap who never read the comics I can't imagine wanting to sit through 7 X-men films that are all 2.5 hours long.

Bill Maher said something every movie being super heroes or virtue signaling. That's why the Bachelorette is so refreshing.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2021 :  06:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got one more X-men movie left to go, then it's on to the Wolverine trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2021 :  01:26:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Day Of The Triffids (2009) - two part mini-series I remember the trailers when it came out but never watched it. It's actually pretty good - reckon also beyond the story from the book there's massive potential for a full blown series there as well, continue the story.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2021 :  03:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don’t Look Up

It tried hard, had some good moments, felt as now as one could hope for

6/10
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2021 :  05:38:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Started watching Don't Look Up Last night - from the first half an hour I'd say 6/10 sounds about right
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2021 :  08:12:19  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally saw two documentaries I’ve been meaning to watch. I found them on Tubi, with commercials.

1. Bet, Raise, Fold. Comic-tragedy. About being an online poker player just before Poker’s Black Friday.

2. Stiv: No Compromise, No Regerts. I learned there are more albums I’ve never heard, Stiv Bators was a nut, and for the first time I’m glad I wasn’t there.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2021 :  10:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by hammerhands

I finally saw two documentaries I’ve been meaning to watch. I found them on Tubi, with commercials.

1. Bet, Raise, Fold. Comic-tragedy. About being an online poker player just before Poker’s Black Friday.

2. Stiv: No Compromise, No Regerts. I learned there are more albums I’ve never heard, Stiv Bators was a nut, and for the first time I’m glad I wasn’t there.
[/quote

Don't know much about Stiv Bators but I like the Dead Boys. Anything about Rocket From the Tombs / Pere Ubu in the documentary? Don't envy the 70's punk lifestyle!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2021 :  09:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm watching all of the Harry Potter movies for the first time, except the first one which will be my 2nd time. Up to the 6th one tonight. I don't feel like I'm exactly the audience (never been into wizard stuff) but it's been a fun random little assignment to myself.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2021 :  03:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn’t finish the first Harry Potter years ago, good luck with the assignment.

Stared the book of Boba Fett.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2021 :  23:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They get much better starting around the third one. I think they may just get better and better with each one.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2022 :  10:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny that I'm turned off by the thought of your Harry Potter assignment, when I just started my seventh X-men movie in a row and have three more to go (at least three I think).
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2022 :  10:53:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I visited two castles that were in Harry Potter last year.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2022 :  11:03:49  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

[/quote

Don't know much about Stiv Bators but I like the Dead Boys. Anything about Rocket From the Tombs / Pere Ubu in the documentary? Don't envy the 70's punk lifestyle!

Pere Ubu showed up on an early concert tour poster, the name was not uttered. I don’t recall much about Rocket From the Tombs, but quite a bit about Frankenstein, Stiv’s other bands back to the late 60’s and his naked insanity from that period.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2022 :  12:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

[/quote

Pere Ubu showed up on an early concert tour poster, the name was not uttered. I don’t recall much about Rocket From the Tombs, but quite a bit about Frankenstein, Stiv’s other bands back to the late 60’s and his naked insanity from that period.

Thanks! I'll check it out
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2022 :  12:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I'm watching all of the Harry Potter movies for the first time, except the first one which will be my 2nd time. Up to the 6th one tonight. I don't feel like I'm exactly the audience (never been into wizard stuff) but it's been a fun random little assignment to myself.

The Nick Cave song moment is very moving. I didn't think I would enjoy the movies but I did.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2022 :  11:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find myself watching Rob Ager film analysis videos from time to time.

What do people think of him?

Personally I like him even if I think some of his points are a bit of a stretch.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2022 :  12:40:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Valerian and the City Of A Thousand Planets

Picked this up last on Netflix and I'm watching it thinking to myself - this reminds me a lot of The Fifth Element. Turns out it's only the latest Luc Besson!

This is some piece of work this. No idea what the story is but it's just such a visually stunning experience. Got bits of everything in there somewhere, completely over the top like The 5th Element on an acid trip. Steam punk burlesque or something maybe a good description of Besson's sci-fi style - nice to see a piece of cinema that at times is quite trippy, like something from Barbarella or a Pink Floyd video.

Family friendly Disney stuff, but worth saving a fat joint for.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2022 :  23:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I am a fan. His stuff on Alien is especially good. Also really enjoyed a Blair Witch Project video from last year.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2022 :  13:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

I am a fan. His stuff on Alien is especially good. Also really enjoyed a Blair Witch Project video from last year.

Definitely good stuff from him on Alien. Almost all his stuff is good, though i don't play video games and I can't really imagine sitting through an hours long analysis of video game subtleties.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2022 :  00:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As somebody who will record a two-hour podcast about a TMBG song, I really can't criticize. More power to him!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2022 :  15:42:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this might be a controversial opinion, but I'm starting to think Ozark kind of owns Breaking Bad's ass a little bit. Maybe it's just because I'm more recently familiar with Ozark that I think that and had I watched them in the other order I might be thinking the reciprocal about them. It's definitely close.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2022 :  09:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never watched it, but I've seen clips and images and the visual look of the show is a massive turnoff. Breaking Bad is so beautiful. Ozark looks like a monkey got a hold of the color correction in Premiere Pro and smashed on the keyboard.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2022 :  10:08:19  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lot of murky or washed-out colour grading in series and film these days, I blame people of lesser skills trying to copy David Fincher. Ozark goes way overboard with the blue highlights, like watching TV through X-ray paper.

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2022 :  11:02:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whuh? You guy's watching a different show or something. It all looks pretty slick visually to me and I'm watching this on a brand new HP 21" 1080 monitor - I now want to visit the Ozarks on my bucket list tour of the states that will probably never happen. The plot and characters are of a very high calibre too. This series is proper mint.

Edited by - pot on 01/22/2022 11:03:29
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2022 :  11:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh that is kind of funny. I'm not the only one who's noticed this. It's actually the sole talking point I've ever seen about the show in articles, youtube videos about the genre, etc. Like I know nothing about the show except that a lot of people have problems with the visuals.

https://decider.com/2018/08/30/why-ozark-is-so-dark/

https://screenrant.com/ozark-lighting-too-dark-reason/
"Ozark is one of Netflix's darkest shows - literally. Fans have complained about what an eyesore Ozark is to look at..."

https://www.looper.com/207204/the-real-reason-ozark-looks-so-dark/

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1277723/ozark-why-is-ozark-so-blue

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ozark/comments/6poxij/great_show_but_too_blue/

http://fatsaloon.com/entertainment/ozark-is-the-bluest-show-on-television/

https://www.slashfilm.com/665514/the-interesting-reason-everything-in-ozark-is-so-blue/

etc....Not commenting at all about the writing and stuff though. The look of the show to me is just not my kind of thing so I don't feel enticed to watch. Maybe one day...

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 01/22/2022 11:55:44
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2022 :  13:37:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Must depend on the quality of the individual monitor then. I'm not sure quality of picture contrast is really a solid basis for slating an entire show though - if it were so bad then maybe but this isn't. Not sure I've even noticed previously anyway. If it's so bad for some folk then I'm sure they could remaster it quite easily? Your loss man.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2022 :  15:12:40  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it's more a category thing - people will watch 2 hours of handsome murkiness on film like The Godfather or Seven (and when done well, that chiaroscuro thing causes the eye to concentrate more intensely to make up for the lack of clarity, making for a great viewing experience), but a 40-hour series that dark and muted probably involves too much squinting for a lot of people. It can't be remastered, that look was chosen before they shot a frame; the type of lightbulbs they used and the set design as well as post-production choices - you can't bring up detail that was never shot in the first place. Watching it on a decent screen would defo help enjoyment. This is all new to us anyway, not too long ago pretty much all TV was horribly lit so it is great that cinema-quality choices are available to series creators.

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2022 :  19:53:07  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just think most TV shows look kind of cheap and bad which is strange because they are all aiming for the feel of prestige and cinema. I miss when they were all shot on 16mm film. To me nothing looks more beautiful than an episode of The X-Files, or later season Sopranos. Some shows can do digital...Better Call Saul puts in extra effort to match Breaking Bad's film cameras. But so many look kind of ugly to me.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2022 :  02:24:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm usually the first to complain about bad quality visuals, but so fas as Ozark goes I have no idea what anyone's problem with it is. It doesn't go all arty farty like the producers of Breaking Bad and Better Caul Saul, but it has some brilliant characters and the overall story arc is A+++. I think it's quite a polished series, and they even have the circle with four illustrations relating to what happens in each episode at the start in place of opening credits.

I mean.. opening credits you say. Have you seen the opening credits to Better Call Saul?! I know they are making it look bad on purpose, but still..
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2022 :  03:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love Ozark and love BB and BCS, and I feel like they all have certain looks to them.

I don't mind at all Ozark's look, maybe it is dark on purpose. That is a weird part of the states for sure, and that's saying something.

This last season of Ozark is crazy, doesn't disappoint. I'm sad it will be over soon.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2022 :  03:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I think I missed a chance to link this topic to Frank's "I'll Be Blue." Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2022 :  04:14:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Love Ozark and love BB and BCS, and I feel like they all have certain looks to them.

I don't mind at all Ozark's look, maybe it is dark on purpose. That is a weird part of the states for sure, and that's saying something.

This last season of Ozark is crazy, doesn't disappoint. I'm sad it will be over soon.

Isn't every part of the states weird in some way by comparison to all other parts?

These days I'm finding myself drawn to some of the more hillbilly parts after watching so many great shows - I'd like some of you guys to draw up a list of no go areas though in case I decide to travel there some day. I mean places where I'm likely to end up at the bottom of the lake or tied to a chair in someone's basement.

As for Netflix productions in general - I think they do alright? Ozark focuses on the story and the characters, whereas BB and BCS are more leaning towards the cinematography and arty farty aspect.

I remember when I started watching Travelers and was getting into that I nearly stopped watching after episode three where they had a shot of the moon in the background, and as people often do when photoshopping the moon into photos it was way too big and didn't look right. But, it turned out to be one of my all time favourite sci-fi series and one of the best Netflix productions I've seen. Rumours about it coming back, but I'm not that bothered because they wrapped the series up so well at the end of season 3.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2022 :  09:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I mean.. opening credits you say. Have you seen the opening credits to Better Call Saul?! I know they are making it look bad on purpose, but still..

...Hardly relevant? The 20 seconds long stylized opening credits is not really a reason to watch or not watch a show (and the Saul one is meant to evoke cheap film or video ie what a local law firm commercial would look like.)

I'm talking about the shows themselves. Saul stands out among the digital crowd in that they seem to actually work hard on lighting, composition, storyboarding, etc. They don't just go as fast as possible and shoot tons of coverage and move on (as I've witnessed being on set for many, many, many TV shows.) It doesn't have that flat, phony digital feel despite it being shot digitally. It feels to me that they spend as much time as possible getting the look of a scene right, making each shot notable. Maybe digital SHOULDN'T just try to copy film, as Saul is doing, but I think the results seem to work for them.

But its the colors and the lighting I'm mainly talking about. I'm not sure why you have an inability to see what Ozark is doing, but to be specific: they seem to be putting an exaggerated blue filter (some may call it ugly) on everything, plus lowering the brightness (and contrast?) down to absurd levels, even on scenes of people just inside a house with lights on. The articles I posted all have pertinent examples. I can't understand why anyone would make their show look like this, consistently, all the time. I get for a scene or two, but every scene?

I have not said anything about the characters or story, in fact all I said is one day I may watch it, because it seems people get really into it. No criticism of that at all. But visuals are important...when scrolling around on Netflix looking for something to watch, the visuals of Ozark that autoplayed in the preview is what made me click to something else...

quote:
Ozark focuses on the story and the characters, whereas BB and BCS are more leaning towards the cinematography and arty farty aspect.

Come on, pot. This is silly. First off, EVERY visual presentation should "focus" on the cinematography. That's something you...have to do when creating a TV show. Second, to say those shows don't focus on characters is...well, like I said, silly. BB and BCS are, above all else, character arcs. The plots of BCS are so nebulous and unpredictable because literally all we know about the show's goal is "what is the character arc that will turn Jimmy into Saul?"

As for artsiness, I'm genuinely not sure what you mean. BCS and BB plays things pretty straight, and has few abstractions and a lack of pretense. They're not Twin Peaks, they're not even The Sopranos. They are both character heavy, plot heavy, sometimes pulpy and funny shows about crime and morality. Symbolism, etc, (which by the way, looks to be all over Ozark judging by the heavy handed post production) is kept to a subtle minimum. I know this because I listened to dozens of episodes of the podcast where the writers and directors actually talk about this stuff. The writing and look is purposeful, sometimes symbolic or thematically driven, but it's always boiling down to "what is the character going through in this scene?"

Ozark may also be good! :)

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 01/23/2022 10:07:49
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2022 :  10:07:54  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't say I ever noticed anything particularly ugly in terms of the video production in the early seasons, but so far as this one goes I see a bit of the blue filter and maybe some scenes are a bit dark but overall it still looks good HD quality to me? I have no recollection of ever one time watching Ozark and thinking I can't see what's going on because it's too dark or poor contrast - never. I've seen plenty worse in cinema theatres. I'm not really seeing this blue filter every scene as you say, some scenes are bright and colourful and appear visually lucid and comparable to real life. I feel it might be getting a bit of unfair negative criticism here..
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2022 :  10:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's totally fair, you may be right. I'm only going off articles, you've actually watched the thing. Lord knows I'm a fan of tons of TV shows that I think get unfairly crapped on all over the internet (LOST, etc.)

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 01/23/2022 10:11:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000