Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2022 :  17:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt they're good recordings, but every song on the demoes record being in the top 15 seems a bit absurd. Surely In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain, Death Horizon, Doggerel, etc are better than *some* of the songs on the demoes record? It just seems like there is a much higher standard being applied to BTE than Doggerel. Yes, the looser/off-the-cuff nature of the demoes songs are nice, but I can't help but feel that if "I Just Can't Break It to You," for example, was on Beneath the Eyrie it would be criticized as being too bland and Catholic-y, and that if Death Horizon or Doggerel were on the b-side record they would be heralded as the return of the real Frank Black, etc. It seems that part of what is going on is that the demoes don't have the pressure of being a proper "Pixies" album, so are loved for what they are, while the records themselves receive somewhat ungenerous criticism for failing to live up to the ideal of a Platonic Pixies record.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as dismissive as I probably am!

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 12/02/2022 06:15:33
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2022 :  17:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What can I say? I just dig the songs more. You may be right that if Cain, etc were more "hidden gems" I'd appreciate them more...I've always been a sucker for b-sides and rarities. But all I can really confirm is...I just dig the songs! I especially love the lyrics more than the ones throughout much of BTE, they feel more raw and kind of punk and less fussed over or something.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 12/01/2022 17:48:02
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2022 :  04:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoying this discussion a lot. Here's my top 15

Thunder & Lightning
Who's more sorry now?
Hey Debussy
Under the Marigold
Bird of Prey
Ring the Bell
Snakes
Plaster of Paris
Get Simulated
Doggerel
Nomatterday
Ready for Love
Death Horizon
Hear me out

Doggerel heavy, Head Carrier Light. Was actually quite hard, I'd say there are 25ish Pixies 2.0 tunes that I think are top drawer.

Doggerel is *still* giving to me. Pagan Man was #12 at the start but it's rising steadily the last couple of weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2022 :  04:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I almost replaced Pagan Man with Who's More Sorry Now. It was neck and neck at the last moment. I like both songs enough, but I think Pagan Man is just slightly more interesting, and...it's just kind of cute and appealing and catchy?

I am always in favor of MORE SONGS so I am glad nothing like this actually happened, and I still really wish we could hear so many of these reject songs that didn't make it...I wish I understood why it had to be only 12 songs on an album. How about like...14 or 15...? To me, these albums feel a bit short.

Have to agree with you there. I remember walking home giddy from the record shop with the 15 on Doolittle, 14 on Bossanova, 15 on Trompe. It was just great. AND we'd get the 3 extra tracks on the 12 inches. And that's before we get to Teenager, BLD, FMRM. Maybe I'd wrong but I feel that is the influence of Tom trying to make a perfect '12' record but not understanding that a perfect '15' record is more perfect by definition!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2022 :  16:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is what I would do, 12 songs in this order, a sick album

Bagboy
Women of War
Cyrus
Get Simulated
Who's More Sorry Now
Los Surfers Muertos
Death Horizon
The Tenement Song
Mambo Sun
How I Learned to Earn Rewards
Haunted House
Magdalena 318
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2022 :  17:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this has been discussed here, but I was listening to Indie Cindy and noticing all the vocal parts that WOULD have been Kim Deal...here's the nearest I can figure:

What Goes Boom: "Make some room" backing vocal. "Carry on her grace...stocking...rocking" etc backing vocals.

Greens and Blues - "only visiting this shore" harmony (etc.), "ba ba ba ba baaaaa" around middle of the song (as FBF is singing "Greens and blues..." over and over.) More harmonies in final chorus throughout.

Indie Cindy - "I beg for you to carry me" harmony towards the end.

Bagboy - "Bagboooooooy..." (I think the "cover your breath" thing would be fun but seems too MASCULINE and that her Bagboooooy harmony would be a feminine counterpoint.)

Magdalena 318 - "oooooOOOOoooooohh" in the chorus

Silver Snail - Nothing?

Blue Eyed Hexe - Possibly the chorus harmony? It could have been a Gigantic type thing with Frank doing the higher part.

Ring the Bell - Nothing?

Another Toe in the Ocean - The "awwhhhs" in the verses at 1:30. "Oooooh" in the second part of the chorus ("I'll be here for the rest of my life...")

Andro Queen - Maybe a double of the spanish section? There's other voices echoing in that part that have Kim's texture to it.

Snakes - The chorus harmony? Sounds very much like a Kim clone here.

Jaime Bravo - Very airy and Kim-y harmonies throughout in the background on every line basically. Later in the song there's VERY Kim-like "Goodbye" whispery vocals coming in.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2022 :  11:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bagboy's chorus is sung by Deal
Or is it ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2022 :  11:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I think this is what I would do, 12 songs in this order, a sick album

Bagboy
Women of War
Cyrus
Get Simulated
Who's More Sorry Now
Los Surfers Muertos
Death Horizon
The Tenement Song
Mambo Sun
How I Learned to Earn Rewards
Haunted House
Magdalena 318

Saduccee's missing
and Mal de Mer

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2022 :  09:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man it took me a while to make that post about the phantom Kim Deal parts. I thought it would inspire more discussion. Maybe it was done already? Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2022 :  12:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Man it took me a while to make that post about the phantom Kim Deal parts. I thought it would inspire more discussion. Maybe it was done already? Oh well.

Sorry - it sounds right, there doesn't seem to be anything to add. It'll never happen, but I'd love for them to overdub Paz on those parts. The album really ended up missing a proper female presence.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2023 :  05:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came back to the office today, told the Siri / Alexa / Droid thing to "play classical music" and on came WIMM on piano.

It's a strange world Geofrey
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2023 :  12:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I used the ChatGPT thing for the first time today. I thought I'd ask it to produce lyrics to the mythical I released song Bogman and this were the results:

Bogman Pixies Style Song

Song title Bogman lyrics in style of Pixies band

Verse 1:
I saw him by the river, where the water runs so clear
He was digging in the mud, like a dog with a bone to chew
He looked up at me with eyes that shone like the moon
And said "I'm the Bogman, come and hear my tune"

Chorus:
Bogman, Bogman, hear his song
Bogman, Bogman, all day long

Verse 2:
He sang of the moss and the mud, of the creatures of the deep
He sang of the secrets of the earth, and the secrets that we keep
He sang of the beauty of the land, and the sorrows of the past
He sang of the future that's yet to come, and the hope that will last

Chorus:

Bridge:
He'll take you to the depths of the earth, and show you what's below
He'll show you the magic of the land, and the stories that it holds
He'll teach you to listen to the wind, and the whispers of the trees
He'll teach you to respect the land, and the life that it breathes

Chorus:

Outro:
And when you hear his voice, you'll know that you're not alone
He'll guide you through the dark, and lead you back to the home.

Edited by - Stevio10 on 01/21/2023 12:55:57
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2023 :  14:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, these are terrible lyrics. And nothing like the Pixies too.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2023 :  22:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I'm with Nick Cave on this one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ai-chatbot-chatgpt-writes-song-nick-cave-style-1234661842/amp/
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2023 :  03:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha oh dear. Strangely enough though the frequent references to songs and verses etc are one of my least favourite things about Pixies 2.0.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2023 :  02:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could help explain the lyrics to Andro Queen
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2023 :  04:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re-reading the AI lyrics to Bogman I can't help but hear it in the musical style of Tom Jones Sex Bomb! Bogman, Bogman you're my Bogman...

I wish I never did this expirement!
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2023 :  07:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

An interesting Spotify stat:

'All I Think About Now' is the 10th most listened to song in the entire Pixies catalogue having more listens than any other song on ‘Come On Pilgrim’, ‘Bossanova’, ‘Trompe Le Monde’, ‘Indie Cindy’, ‘Head Carrier’ or ‘Beneath the Eerie’, as well as more listens than any FB/BF/Catholics song or any Breeders song, excluding 'Cannonball'.

Quite the achievement for Paz's first songwriting contribution!

Just to update this 'All I Think About Now' is still rapidly gaining listens on Spotify. It's now the 7th most listened to Pixies song on the platform at 39.9 million listens behind 'Where Is My Mind?' (662.3m), 'Here Comes Your Man' (169.9m), 'Hey' (145.5m), 'Debaser' (81.9m), 'Monkey Gone To Heaven' (68m) and 'Gouge Away' (40.5m). Quite unbelievable really. From what I can gather it's a Spotify playlist thing.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2023 :  16:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

An interesting Spotify stat:

'All I Think About Now' is the 10th most listened to song in the entire Pixies catalogue having more listens than any other song on ‘Come On Pilgrim’, ‘Bossanova’, ‘Trompe Le Monde’, ‘Indie Cindy’, ‘Head Carrier’ or ‘Beneath the Eerie’, as well as more listens than any FB/BF/Catholics song or any Breeders song, excluding 'Cannonball'.

Quite the achievement for Paz's first songwriting contribution!

Just to update this 'All I Think About Now' is still rapidly gaining listens on Spotify. It's now the 7th most listened to Pixies song on the platform at 39.9 million listens behind 'Where Is My Mind?' (662.3m), 'Here Comes Your Man' (169.9m), 'Hey' (145.5m), 'Debaser' (81.9m), 'Monkey Gone To Heaven' (68m) and 'Gouge Away' (40.5m). Quite unbelievable really. From what I can gather it's a Spotify playlist thing.

That is really interesting. You think it's because it made it onto a suggested playlist?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2023 :  04:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to find an article which explains that phenomen when a random song suddenly gets sucked in by the Spotify algorithm. Pretty sure it was Dean Wareham of Galaxie 500 who wrote the article but can't for the life of me find it.

I think basically the Spotify algorithm considers AITAN to fit the stylings of an alternative rock song, so it probably falls into the suggested songs quite often.

It is an extremely bland song so it is peculiar.

Edit: It was Damon K! Not Wareham. https://internationalsadhits.tumblr.com/post/174724188743/the-previous-post-about-galaxie-500-streaming-song

https://www.ft.com/content/dca07c32-6844-11e9-b809-6f0d2f5705f6

Strange is a great song tbf.

https://www.stereogum.com/2105993/pavement-harness-your-hopes-spotify/columns/sounding-board/

And the same thing happened with Pavement and Harness Your Hopes.

Edited by - The Maharal on 04/16/2023 04:48:33
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2023 :  09:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AITAN is ranked 4th on Youtube music https://charts.youtube.com/artist/%2Fm%2F05xq9?hl=fr

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2023 :  15:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like I like AITAN more than most on this board!
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2023 :  08:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, you know your algorithm is messed up when AITAN gets more plays than debaser or monkey!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2023 :  18:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, as someone who actually has albums on Spotify, I noticed one of my songs randomly has thousands of plays. After investigating it's because it is on some random playlist! That's really the way to get your stuff out there on Spotify.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2023 :  19:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google Assistant having trouble with WIMM as alarm setting

https://www.androidpolice.com/pixies-where-is-my-mind-dismissing-alarms/
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2023 :  00:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Google Assistant having trouble with WIMM as alarm setting

https://www.androidpolice.com/pixies-where-is-my-mind-dismissing-alarms/

hahaha
brilliant

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2023 :  08:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol that's awesome
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2023 :  14:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hard Times ranks all Pixies albums, if you need something to browse.

Article reads like it was written by Kelly Deal.

https://thehardtimes.net/rankings/every-pixies-album-ranked/
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2023 :  02:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any list which does not have Trompe Le Monde on no.1 cannot be taken seriously.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2023 :  05:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Far Out article entitled: "Hear Me Out: Pixies Are Nothing Without Kim Deal"

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/how-kim-deal-defined-pixies/
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2023 :  11:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jesus. That might be the worst Pixies article I've ever read. A ridiculous premise (Kim Deal doesn't get enough credit) argued with the insight of a high school essay, padded out with an almost parody-level hackneyed Pixies bio.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2023 :  01:40:30  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but Gigantic wasn't written by Kim in the first place. Don't want to take any of her credit away, and maybe she wrote the main part (lyrics and vocal melody) but the whole structure and the dynamics Kurt was raving about is all Black Francis. So is the gigantic (!) chord structure.

Also very lazy to make the point "Kim was taken for granted" with a snippet of Dave saying "nobody can replace Kim". They did a lot to keep her on board from 2004 on. Grown up people sometimes part ways. It was for the best, Pixies shows are way better than in 2004. In my opinion.

Nothing can beat 1990.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Edited by - billgoodman on 06/11/2023 01:41:45
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2023 :  02:46:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never thought I would buy tickets for another Pixies gig and get to see them with Paz - but I think it will be a refreshing change and I'm certain that Paz will give it her best effort and nail it
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2023 :  00:56:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paz is all energy and musicianship, you are going to be thrilled

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2023 :  07:39:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was at this pub in Edinburgh the other night and this guy was playing some tunes on the guitar - me and this guy at the bar were laughing about how much he looks like Frank Black !

See what you think - had some fun rocking out to Highway To Hell by AC/DC later but I recorded a short bit so I could post this up and show you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNDcWk6znw
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000