Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2021 :  12:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same. Been really upset.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2021 :  04:30:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surge.

Disturbing and poignant portrayal of a guy having a mental breakdown in London. Oscar worthy performance from Ben Whishaw.

Edited by - pot on 10/06/2021 05:10:49
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  22:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reservation Dogs
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  05:16:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Midnight Mass (Netflix)

Slow burner. Bit too slow burner at times, but worthy of your time if gothic horror is your bag. Some good characters, acting and interesting fictional location that might have warranted a longer run. Slow build up to a reasonably epic climax.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  06:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am interested, but Haunting of Hill House ended so horribly, I don't know if I trust Mike Flanagan again. Plus there's the awful Doctor Sleep.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  09:11:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear you. Doctor Sleep was a bit.. what's the point? Haven't seen Haunting of Hill House. I'd say there are enough notable performances from Hamish Linklater as the priest and Samantha Sloyan as the religious nutcase woman in Midnight Mass to make it worth the effort, and a few memorable moments but otherwise there were times where I was just bored. Some of the scenes drag on a bit, I nearly gave up on it in the middle of ep 2.

So far as a Stephen King film/story goes Doctor Sleep was unremarkable. I was left at the end wondering if there was any point in making it the sequel to The Shining because it didn't really add anything interesting to the story. Sometimes it's better leaving an air of mystery to a story. Would have been better just being a stand alone.

Edited by - pot on 10/06/2021 09:17:14
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  12:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah!

I should clarify: So much of Haunting of Hill House was FANTASTIC. And I'd still recommend it to people. But the last episode is awful. That may ruin it for some, or it may not. I still am glad I watched it and it's worth it for the other 8 or so very good to excellent episodes.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  12:30:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haunting of Hill House is on Netflix. Tick.

I think Mike Flanagan added something unique to Midnight Mass. He must be a very religious person himself. The church sermons very quite intense, and all the characters were deeply spiritual people. I found it at times a bit overly sentimental, but at the same time it was interesting and poignant.

Long drawn out scenes are very Kubrick. I think more directors should take scenes and focus on them, as opposed to cutting the scene every 5 seconds. You feel like you're getting more bang for your buck from a good long scene than fast paced, twisty turny..

Edited by - pot on 10/06/2021 12:48:17
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  14:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's funny, I have the opposite opinion. I'm really sick of the new genre of film which essentially is "film student ripping off Kubrick." Like every A24 movie I've seen in the past year or two is like this. I want something new. Ripping off Kubrick but without the substance or reasons for the visual choices. Feels shallow to me.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  15:05:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean. Nobody owns longs scenes though.

You have to wonder if it weren't for the way technology advanced throughout the past 50 years that we would have any of it?

I like spotting Kubrick influences in films

Midnight Mass gives a nod to another classic film. Clue in the number of episodes
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2021 :  08:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Squid Game was a lot of brutal fun

Nine Perfect Strangers ran out of steam, but was still great

Finally for the first time ever watched James Cameron's Titanic. Loved it, 4/5 stars, great film making.

Started watching Gladiator with Russell Crowe for the first time ever. Loving it too.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2021 :  12:47:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Lighthouse

Where did this come from? Shot in 5/4 ratio black & white, like some Ingmar Bergman classic. Two guys going mad on a tiny island in the middle of the sea. I've always liked Willem Dafoe, he's got a right mad look about him - epic comedy portrayal of a drunken old Irish sailor in this. Totally recommend this if your into weird films. I suppose it's a dark surreal comedy too. Huzzah for the contemporary old cinema revival!

I'm sure it said performed by Willem Dafoe also sings on some of the Irish folk songs on the soundtrack in the credits too? If that's him singing traditional Irish folk then it's pretty authentic

Edited by - pot on 10/09/2021 13:48:16
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  05:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, love The Lighthouse. Need to rewatch
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2021 :  21:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Reservation Dogs

Yeah it look’ed a little ugly
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2021 :  22:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awh gosh boring
snus fest
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2021 :  11:02:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like Babylon 5 is finally getting the reboot JM Straczynski has been fighting for for years!

What could it possibly be like, considering so many of the original actors have died since it first aired?

One of the first sci-fi series to feature CGI effects - which looked amazing at the time but have aged really badly. Still worth checking this series out if your into space sci-fi - it's a slow burner but one of the most epic story arcs ever and so many memorable characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6PaqzKjHzU
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2021 :  05:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted Lasso. Great writing and characters. I can't stop watching and re-watching.

Only Murders in the Building. Steve Martin and Martin Short have always had great chemistry; Selena Gomez is surprisingly a great match with them.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2021 :  15:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been watching the trailer for The Batman, looks good enough.

Trailer for the Tragedy of Macbeth looks good too
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2021 :  19:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Chucky show!

Loving it so far.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2021 :  00:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed Dune

I like Lynch’s too

This new one is definitely a good watch. A bit long. Good movie
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2021 :  17:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never had any interest in Dune on any level. It all looks so miserable to me, especially the new film. What's the hook, exactly?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2021 :  20:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really a huge Dune fan, I haven't read the books although I have some friends who are really into it.

You can definitely see how Star Wars was influenced by Dune.

The appeal to me is just basic sci-fi appeal. The story makes sense and the drama is engaging.

Yes, it feels dreary at times, especially Lynch's version which has some genuinely creepy Lynchian moments if you're in the mood.

I guess the original film version of Dune was supposed to be 14 hours long but never got made. This new 2021 version is basically just the first half of the first book, with a part two supposedly coming down the road.

I would give this new Dune a 7/10
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2021 :  22:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a Star Wars fan either!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2021 :  01:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you into any sci-fi fantasy stuff
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2021 :  20:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much. I like Firefly. I like Alien and UFO stuff, but not where like, everyone is an alien, if you know what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2021 :  09:10:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of sci-fi - I just caught the first three episodes of new series Invasion on my three months free Apple TV I got with my new iPad. It fucking sucks.

OTOH For All Mankind is quite good (also on Apple TV) about an alternative version of history around the moon landings.

The final season of The Expanse is dropping soon - no aliens in that. Don't understand why they are calling it a day there because it has so much potential - but I guess the more cerebral TV shows don't tend to get the high ratings they are always looking for..

Edited by - pot on 10/27/2021 09:10:58
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2021 :  13:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was in Invasion as an extra, but you can't see me. Two days on set and nothing!

We've already talked about how much I absolutely hated the pilot of The Expanse, enough to scare away all interest in the show.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2021 :  13:24:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I was in Invasion as an extra, but you can't see me. Two days on set and nothing!

We've already talked about how much I absolutely hated the pilot of The Expanse, enough to scare away all interest in the show.

Super cool man. Didn't you tell me something like this before, something else you were in?

The Expanse is a slow burner and is awesome. If you're not into sci-fi though it doesn't help.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2021 :  12:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love sci-fi. Hated The Expanse :)

I've been in a million things by now...if it's a show shot in NYC in the past 3 years, very likely I'm in it! Or at least was there. I was sad I couldn't see myself in Invasion after an endless 2 days at that damn gas station.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2021 :  03:04:11  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't remember the gas station scene. All I remember is it was riddled with cliches and slow and boring as hell. Only the first 3 episodes have been released so far though, although there's a new one out today. I'm busy working my way through For All Mankind season 2 now - which is turning out to be better than I thought it would be in the beginning. It's got a bit of a Mad Men feel to it, also some nostalgia like Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes. It's all about what things might have turned out like if we hadn't stopped going to the moon - and that's a BIG question: why did we stop? Why didn't the Russians go there? They were one step ahead of America all the way right up until man on the moon - but they didn't go because they couldn't work out how to get around the problem of lethal space radiation. Makes you wonder..

You're Turns Out Music right? I know what you look like from ya instagram, so now any time I see a show that's based in NYC I'm going to be looking out for you in the background.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2021 :  07:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is Turns Out Music?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2021 :  07:59:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

What is Turns Out Music?

Me getting you confused with someone else on here
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2021 :  23:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm giving Better Call Saul a second chance, and I absolutely love it this time around. The first time I thought it was too slow. I was wrong. This is brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2021 :  15:37:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trying to find some stuff to bag while I'm on my 3 month trial with Apple TV and there doesn't seem much on there - and the mini-posters all look so horrible polished like a Disney film that it just puts me off everything there.

But I decided to check out The Mosquito Coast and asides from one or two minor plot holes it's doing alright - got a bit of a Ozarky feel to it?

Put me in the mood for Ozark S4 when it finally drops next year. Netflix et al have got some real treats lined up for the next big lockdown.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  12:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Against all odds, the first episode of the new revival season of Dexter was actually pretty good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000