Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1375 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  08:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably my imagination but I thought I heard the term "Selkie Bride" in San Nazare.

Probably a glitch in the software
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1575 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  08:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBF is a real beast at screaming. It's amazing how his voice can sound tired sometimes, and then suddently screams 4 songs in a row like he makes no effort, even after a 35-song set. I haven't clicked too much on the new songs (I'm trying not to), but the scream sounds even more powerful now. It's incredible.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  08:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Probably my imagination but I thought I heard the term "Selkie Bride" in San Nazare.

I thought the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

1375 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  01:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

I think he says “I went down on the Selkie Bride.”

Sounds challenging.

Also sounds like a mashup of Honeycomb and NSE.

This song is so good, really hoping they don’t muffle it like they did with the production on Baal’s Back.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  07:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the FB group linked up thread? It says content not available. Is there a Pixies fan page I'm missing out on?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
774 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  11:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds challenging.

This song is so good, really hoping they don’t muffle it like they did with the production on Baal’s Back.

lol at the sounds challenging part!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2697 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  12:28:05  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/15/loudquietloud-can-the-pixies-break-into-the-podcasting-world UK article about the new album podcast.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  19:55:51  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

What is the FB group linked up thread? It says content not available. Is there a Pixies fan page I'm missing out on?

Yeah, it's a private group called Pixies and Frank Black Francis. Request to be a member and you'll get approved and then you can see the link and everything else going on in there. Really great group of people.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  10:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome -- thanks, I joined the group. I love that they make you a pass a "no kim, no deal" litmus test in order to join haha
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
774 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  11:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds challenging.

Any thoughts on who the Selkie Bride is? I always thought it was a reference to his first wife Speedie Marie as it was from around the SMYT divorce era, but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe it's just a reference to the mythical selkie creature but I find it interesting it's popped up again.

Anyway, enjoying the song and also hope the studio version isn't ruined.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  18:32:37  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if Selkie Bride is referring to Violet... the song Selkie Bride came out after he was already with Violet. It was brought up in another thread on the forum, but Violet recently made a post on Facebook saying that she and Charles are separating. These songs have dark, edgy, angsty vibes to them, and this one in particular sounds like an angry break up song. (I'm done with talking to you, and I don't want to be true). But who knows, just fanboy speculation here.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
= Cult of Ray =

813 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  03:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

Awesome -- thanks, I joined the group. I love that they make you a pass a "no kim, no deal" litmus test in order to join haha

So how does that work exactly? Am not on FB, just curious.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
= Cult of Ray =

USA
871 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  03:50:29  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re: Selkie Bride... Only Charles knows what his inspiration was, but my guess is it isn’t really about a person, rather one of his folklore / historical musings. It appears to be a rather unambiguous take on the classic tale, told from the protagonists first person perspective, but maybe there were more inspirational layers. Who knows.

If you already know this, disregard, but for others - Selkies are a female Scottish folklore character, like a half human half seal that lives in the water around the islands. Their main storyline is being kind of forced into a relationship with a human when said human steals the swlkie’s seal skin. Now a prisoner and forced to be a human (human form, she hides) the human then marries her and holds her captive, with her hidden skin as the ball and chain basically.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 03/18/2019 03:51:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000