Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  15:27:58  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So what's a dothi? And, while we're on the subject, what's "knowness"? <g>

(The former question was serious, by the way.)

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  15:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's actually dhoti and it's some kind of Indian (Asia) robe.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  15:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We made need apl yet again for this one, but as far as I can tell (and by "I", of course I mean "Google"), a dothi is an India scarf-like garment. It comes in cotton or silk, and is very reasonably priced http://www.indiagiftcorner.com/dothi.html

As far as "knowness" goes, a Google or dictionary.com search will do you no good, that one is pure MV (moi), and only I hold the key to its elusive true meaning. It's quite a mystery, as "goddess" and "knowness" don't even really rhyme all that well. So what is the point, you ask? I don't know. Again, I may need apl's help....

I am: Seeking: For: To Make:

Edited by - speedy_m on 02/18/2004 21:07:11
Go to Top of Page

holidaysong
- FB Fan -

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  18:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love this song think it's great :) - i think TOTY is my one of my top fav albums of all time...
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  19:03:37  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh blimey speedy, do I have to help you out of every pickle, fer cryin out loud?....

The Point = rhyming sucks.

666 Dunkin' Donuts, a 20-inch veggie pizza from Gumby's, extra jalapenos on the side. And a case of Asahi Dry -
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  20:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

We made need apl yet again for this one, but as far as I can tell (and by "I", of course I mean "Google"), a dothi is an India scarf-like garment. It comes in cotton or silk, and is very reasonably priced http://www.indiagiftcorner.com/dothi.html

I seem to be invisible.
Go to Top of Page

Picapiedra
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  20:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did somebody hear something? Or was that just google.
-roger.

"Drug run'n on this Panamanian schooner."
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  21:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't hear nuthin'...

I kid darwin! I kid because I love. I was typing up my incoherant rambling response while you posted your much more lucid one. I didn't mean to talk over you, honest, you scare me.

And yes, apl, you lazy tart, you must help me out of every pickle. The only thing that sucks worse than rhyming is a fresh one from me when you complain to much, so mind your pints and quarters, and get back to work.

Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  20:00:14  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This track finished 22nd (out of 157) in the latest countdown - this was my favourite of TOTY for a long time

3rd Annual Australian Frank Black Countdown August 2003 - all involved parties rank EVERY released FB song from FB self/titled to the present - average ranks are calculated - beer (or suitable substitute) is added (mostly in drinking-game form - ie. rate a song well below its average and you drink a punishing amount), then sit back and enjoy a day of frank black....the only problem is quite often memory of the top songs is somewhat limited the next day
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  05:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I play this one on guitar just about every week. I'm hoping once the Pixies thing is done, the next obvious step for Chucky would be to return to performing the first coupla FB records. Then I'll be sort of ready to play in the band, cause when he calls out "Ole!" , I could do it pretty well. Wont you join me?

This song is what the Stones could have become - great rocking stuff, but somehow much more interesting.

Edited by - echo park on 02/25/2004 05:18:30
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  05:17:31  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don Eduardo

This track finished 22nd (out of 157) in the latest countdown - this was my favourite of TOTY for a long time

3rd Annual Australian Frank Black Countdown August 2003 - all involved parties rank EVERY released FB song from FB self/titled to the present - average ranks are calculated - beer (or suitable substitute) is added (mostly in drinking-game form - ie. rate a song well below its average and you drink a punishing amount), then sit back and enjoy a day of frank black....the only problem is quite often memory of the top songs is somewhat limited the next day

i'd be interested in seeing your full list...
have you posted it anywhere?

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

ELoRPS
- FB Fan -

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  14:14:34  Show Profile  Visit ELoRPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GREAT tune, of course TOTY is pretty much one of the few albums put out in the 90's where EVERY tune is stand up.

Top shelf I say,..top shelf!

"Some people like cupcakes better,..I for one care less for them!"
Go to Top of Page

cindy lou
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  17:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feel for you Aurora-borealis
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  20:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the kind of songs you can hardly expect from Frank these days... I don't blame him... I love what he does and did with the Catholics, and I think he never gave up with his conception of 'modern songs' he started with Trompe le Monde, the proof is Frank Black Francis...

HW
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7435 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  01:52:15  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like cindy said.

Denis

"If you do 7-Up, you can't ever do Coke or Pepsi. You've got to hold out for the best deal possible. It's about me being a smart businesswoman as well as a musician." - Jessica Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  03:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic, how I'd like to hear this played live again.

There are precious few songs about the architect of the LA water system.
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  06:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten about this song. Thanks for posting an obsure one.

Free the Heel!
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  15:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this song! So diverse and so catchy. Frank Black sure knows how to write a catchy song. But this one also has so much more!
I've always wondered about the Bradbury thing as well. It always made me remember Ray B. I doubt that's what he ment though.

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  16:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aurora-borealis

My least favorite FB-song of all time... I really fucking hate this one...

You must have a heart of steel...

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  17:02:42  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
There are precious few songs about the architect of the LA water system.

Well, he's also mentioned in "The St. Francis Dam Disaster."

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

rocknrolldan
- FB Fan -

Australia
28 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  03:50:14  Show Profile  Visit rocknrolldan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mulholland and Freedom Rock are my favourites from TOTY

"I like Lou Reed" she said...
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  10:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsieur

quote:
Originally posted by Aurora-borealis

My least favorite FB-song of all time... I really fucking hate this one...

You must have a heart of steel...

I will show you fear in a handful of dust

maybe he's "Ironman"

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  08:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved the references in this song. Am still unsure how to interpret "Pacific rim has a tank that thinks/But does it have IQ for the moon?" California is on the Pacific rim, so that makes sense ... like early-to-mid-1900s America was thinking "We can build a grand water system, so what else can we accomplish?" with the moon shot as a soon-to-be considered uncertainty. Big universities and research parks in CA being the "tank that thinks," etc.

But it could also be a bit of a slam on Asia. My first read on it was, "You're doing great guys, but you can't touch what we've done or will if you push us." Hint-o-jing-o-ism?
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  09:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah. Read first page of posts. Good research there. This must be purely about Los Angeles.
Go to Top of Page

Aurora-borealis
- FB Fan -

Denmark
131 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  15:44:42  Show Profile  Click to see Aurora-borealis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't really get this one...
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  09:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other day when I was on my way back home from visiting Crumlin jail in Belfast I happened upon William Mulholland's birthplace. It's cool bumping into things or landmarks or references from Frank's catalogue.

Some day when I have lots of free time and learn how to make a website I'll create a big globe of the world that is dotted with Frank's references.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  09:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And jeepers whoever said that Korn ripped off this song for their Got the Life track wasn't kidding. Just listened to it. That's pretty blatant right?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  04:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard that Korn song before. I guess I hear it.

OM is a great song, but I always wish the opening would be the whole song. I’ve thought that since I first played it in my car’s tape deck in 94
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  08:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see what you mean. On some listens I'm not so keen on the chorus, other times I love it.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  04:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like it's another example of a FBF song being more than one song at once.

It opens as some interstellar space drive kind of thing. Great tune to have on if you're in the car while going through tunnel.

Then it turns into some kind of proto-catholic slob rock thing, which I also love, but would have wanted to hold off for longer.

It's definitely a FBF tune that I would want to hear the extended 7 minute B side version.
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  18:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Mulholland turned over the dam to the mayor of Los Angeles, Mulholland is quoted as saying "There it is, Mayor___. Take it."
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

At the begining, when Frank says "there it is, take it", this a qoute attributed to Mr. Willaim Mullholland, if I'm not mistaken. I beleive this was discussed in another thread somewhere. apl? Little help?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000