New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shedshrine
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  06:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably already posted here several times by now but...

Record Store Day releases of his first solo album and Teenager of the Year for 2019.

Edited by - shedshrine on 03/04/2019 06:41:41

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  08:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  10:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is RSD?
Go to Top of Page

shedshrine
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  11:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://recordstoreday.com/
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  04:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  14:14:01  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm having a hard time finding out anything about this release, other than it's RSD and on white vinyl for TOTY and orange for FB (groovy). But, as a big hi-fi / record guy, I'm wondering who mastered it, from what source, and where was it pressed. I can't find anything. I have the original pressings of both of these, and if this is just a press of a CD or some digital source, I'm really not interested. Other than the white vinyl for TOTY... that would be cool.

Has anyone seen any details?

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

shedshrine
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2019 :  08:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White and orange, awesome. Other than that there will be 4500 copies of each for the world as stated above, I don't have anything for you on where they were pressed.

There is another thread about these reissues in the news forum if you haven't hit that up already.
Here you go.. http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31187

Here's hoping whoever pressed them did a great job. A lot of people waiting on these.

Edited by - shedshrine on 03/12/2019 09:01:15
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  06:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you think it'll be hard to get a copy?
my guess is that these won't sell out that fast. but i have no idea, really. 4,500 isn't a very large pressing. (if that number is correct. sometimes they have different numbers for the different markets, and they mean 4,500 for the UK, for example.)

bad news for me is that i'm travelling on that day, so there's no chance to pick up a copy on record store day.
which isn't a problem if these don't fly out of the shops, but would be an issue if they do. then i can start looking for a reseller that only bought these to make a profit. (lovely!)
i will maybe look for a friend to pick up a copy for me, to avoid scenario 2.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  07:31:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These limited releases are great for RSD buzz, but bad for the average Joe that can't make it or just doesn't have the cash or something at the time of release. It's just something we all have to deal with now. There is a whole sleazy flippers market for limited release stuff, and the modern resale markets make it easy and profitable to just scoop up a bunch of limited stuff then flip it for arbitrage. Like scalpers but worse. It's always nice when something doesn't sell out fast and you know they got stuck with a pile that they can't flip quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  07:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been one who never got the whole vinyl reissue thing.

But I find myself interested in both of these and if I can get one of each reasonably I will do so.

What I'm more bummed about is that I don't have my TOTY or FB Self-Titled Cassette tapes anymore.
Go to Top of Page

shedshrine
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  12:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

It's always nice when something doesn't sell out fast and you know they got stuck with a pile that they can't flip quickly.

Totally! I was all hot to trot on a Zappa release and a David Axelrod release the last couple years, braved the crowds, paid top dollar (meaning the going record store day price) only to see copies languish in the bins for weeks and appear online for half the price. The "lesson" being just because you are crazy about an artist doesn't mean the world is (though they are obviously missing out in the case of Charles Frank Black Francis Thompson)
In the meantime, here'a the visual aid .gif from the 4AD site..

Edited by - shedshrine on 03/15/2019 13:00:24
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  22:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i've asked someone before to get me a copy of some limited release on the day, only to see it still for sale even a whole year later. hehehe. :-/

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  22:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what i've also seen quite often is that they have this limited RSD release (numbered and/or on coloured vinyl, for example), but then after RSD, the same reissue becomes widely available on black vinyl, everywhere. but for some reason this unlimited release hadn't been announced... some people would have been quite happy with that information, though.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  22:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

These limited releases are great for RSD buzz, but bad for the average Joe

this is very true.
it's artificial scarcity, to create hype, and to empty everyone's pockets. the "scalpers" make the whole thing even worse.

it's funny what "limited" can do for a release. some of them - however limited - will still sell better than a normal, much larger release of the same music.

i don't even get appeal of a RSD buzz. one of the nicest things about record stores is that it's usually very quiet there.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  00:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look pretty
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  07:37:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

what i've also seen quite often is that they have this limited RSD release (numbered and/or on coloured vinyl, for example), but then after RSD, the same reissue becomes widely available on black vinyl, everywhere. but for some reason this unlimited release hadn't been announced... some people would have been quite happy with that information, though.

Interesting. I'd rather have a black vinyl version.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  08:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exactly. a lot of people do.
but if you're not sure if it's coming, what do you do?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  08:34:24  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:

These limited releases are great for RSD buzz, but bad for the average Joe

i don't even get appeal of a RSD buzz. one of the nicest things about record stores is that it's usually very quiet there.

it's educational

I agree. I’m not a big fan of RSD. I got into records in the early 90s and have been buying them steadily this entire time, so the frenzy and the insane lines and elbow to elbow madness at the local stores on RSD doesn’t fit my idea of a day of record shopping. One time I went and didn’t even know it was RSD. I just turned around and went home.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  11:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will we ever see an album with those two words "Frank Black" spelled across the cover ever again ever?
Go to Top of Page

shedshrine
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  10:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fyi, I got there a good hour after the store opened. (Last Record Store, Santa Rosa CA). I had talked with the guys there the prior weekend so knew they had ordered 10 copies apiece of Franks's reissues. I go through the doors and the checkout line is winding up and down every store aisle. I made my way over and up to the RSD racks and..by my count there were still 10 issues of each in the racks. What is wrong with these people? haha.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  10:25:16  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No one was going anywhere near them at any of the stores I hit either. Odds are most folks don’t have a clue who or what it is.

Go to Top of Page

shedshrine
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I for one am glad to have these flashy new color versions to save the O.G.s some wear time..

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  11:33:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shedshrine

Well, I for one am glad to have these flashy new color versions to save the O.G.s some wear time..

I picked them up for the same reason.
Go to Top of Page

shedshrine
- FB Fan -

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2019 :  15:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who are curious, I've played them both through today and they sound great, no issues. Great job on the packaging, the only difference I spotted was that the eponymous has thick matte printed sleeves now instead of thick glossy printed sleeves.

I've managed to acquire quite a bit of vinyl since starting this addictive hobby again in 2012. The favorites tend to have some kind of significance to life events, aka the nostalgia factor. Of which these two albums loom large in that category. That said, bring on the rest of the Frank Black, Black Francis, Frank Black & the Catholics catalogs on vinyl. They've been far too hard to find, or never even been issued in the format for far too long now!

Edited by - shedshrine on 04/13/2019 15:20:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000