Official Tanya Donelly Appreciation Thread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  08:46:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Third song released from the new album Dove, which is out soon. Belly!

I think there was an EP for record store day on Saturday or something and it's on there too, but it's probably a vinyl jobbie and I don't do old technology these days.

I think this is the strongest track from the new stuff so far. Her voice sounds as sweet as it ever was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXVnGOPuiaY

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  00:08:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Belly album up for a free listen here

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/26/604404015/first-listen-belly-dove

Tanya Donelly rules.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  00:36:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This album totally owns both the last 4 Pixies/Breeders albums collectively!

There's even a country song on there with the old twangy guitars. Tanya's got a bit of a cowgirl thing going on these days. (Artifact)

Tempted to get myself a ticket, but money's tight these days. £22.50 for a night with Belly at the O2 in Glasgow is quite reasonable though, for a band of their stature. They could rip us off more more if they wanted to.

Love to see them at The Ritz in Manchester though, now that would be a trip down memory lane..

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  00:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started listening to it, at least I thought I did. Turned out to a hip hop album: Belly "Mumble Rap."

I'll keep looking for it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  01:00:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted a link to where it's streaming pre-sale.

Enjoy.

Yeah you have to search for Belly and the name of the album on streaming services otherwise you get the rapper. How dare he steal their name!

Same thing with Acid Reign. Now there's a hip hop band and a clothes shop.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  05:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Digging it.

Good stuff.

Plus they've aged really well. Maybe a healthier diet than the Pixies and Breeders.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  11:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well chuffed with it - I pledged :)

They were cracking when they toured in 2016, looking forward to the summer shows. Kristin is over playing Meltdown the night after the Belly show in Shepherd's Bush so chance of duet evening.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  11:51:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good job stu pledger.

I pledged nothing, and got to listen to the entire album for free today several times for nothing, so I am grateful to both all the pledgers and Belly for writing and recording this wonderful new album.

Would I be right in saying King wasn't that great? Bit of a let down maybe. I only listened to it once recently on Apple Music and I was left uninspired. It was just like one of those 90's album you didn't pay much attention to from the britpop era.

Star though, that's been on playback a few times in my life. First time I heard an entire Belly album was in a box of crap left by someone who lent me their squat for three months.

That would be great if Kristin made a guest appearance, I'm sure there's potential there for that to happen.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  12:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't as much of a King fan first time round, saw them a couple of times touring it in '95 but it didn't click like Star which I can still listen to any time.
I like King a lot more now, I think the running order hurt it at the time but it's aged well. Strong B sides on everything they did too.
The 2 new non-album RSD B sides are floating around on youtube.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  05:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that King didn't seem as good at the time simply because Star was just SO DAMNED GOOD
listening now I can appreciate it much more than I did when it was released. not that I didn't like it at the time, but Star was (and still is) the stronger album of the two.

Dove is great, but anyone hoping for Star (or even King) v2.0 might be disappointed. it is a strong album from a matured band. not as many riffs, but just strong songwriting throughout.

Edited by - rivum on 05/02/2018 05:54:18
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  01:42:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Belly have just had to move their gig from the O2 ABC to The Garage following the fire that hasjust ravaged the iconic Glasgow School of Art building (again!) and spread to the 02.

Fuckin 'ell... what?

Very sad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000