Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Pixies Interviews 2017.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

pixie punk
* Dog in the Sand *

2379 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  01:01:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/89932863/the-pixies-still-delivering-musical-mayhem

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Sprite
= Cult of Ray =

654 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  05:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Obviously it was high time for their first break-up officially referred to as a hiatus especially once conflict between Deal and Thompson escalated into actual violence"

JFC
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
- FB Fan -

218 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  06:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

"Obviously it was high time for their first break-up officially referred to as a hiatus especially once conflict between Deal and Thompson escalated into actual violence"

JFC

Yeah that was a little intense to read.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
206 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  09:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
After a bit of teasing and a handful of solo albums,

...is where I stopped reading. FB&C not even worth a mention? Please.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
* Dog in the Sand *

2379 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  01:05:39  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/the-literal-magic-of-the-pixies

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
* Dog in the Sand *

2379 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  01:17:11  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.soundcloud.com/abc-melbourne/black-francis-and-paz-lenchatin-from-the-pixies-with-clare-bowditch

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
- FB Fan -

218 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  04:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great interview. That Dylan ref is savage.

And writing the second verse of Break My Body the day it was first performed live, did I hear that right? Sick.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
206 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  05:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that explains why he never seems to have quite settled on those lyrics. Every Break My Body performance seems to come in a different variant.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
- FB Fan -

218 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  11:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like he writes them fast a lot of the time. Didn't he say somewhere that most of FMRM were just "quickies"?

I've often thought about how he could potentially spend a total of less than one hour writing and recording a song that I end up listening to for hours and hours and hours.

I bet there are song of his I listened to this week that he hasn't touched in 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
= Cult of Ray =

654 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  11:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always did love that second verse on Break my Body.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
* Dog in the Sand *

2379 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:17:53  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.hauraki.co.nz/listen/radio-hauraki-audio-vault/angelina-interviews-pixies/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Edited by - pixie punk on 03/07/2017 01:18:34
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
* Dog in the Sand *

2379 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:22:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.rrr.org.au/whats-going-on/news/life-as-a-pixie/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
* Dog in the Sand *

2379 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:40:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-charles-thompson/8312766

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
- FB Fan -

218 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard / read Dave make that Grateful Dead comparison a few times.

I know very little of the Dead.

Are there any Deadheads on the forum who can comment on the analogy?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
674 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  04:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I skip any interview by Dave. Seems like a nice enough guy but there is almost never anything insightful gained from his interviews. I miss Joey's randomness and sarcasm.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
= Cult of Ray =

985 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  09:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading Fool the World, Doolittle 33 1/3 and countless interviews over there years there isn't much left in the way of interviews for me; probably a good exhibit of FB/Pixies overkill on my part.

Now I think the best interviews are ones like Mr. Peter Radiator's, someone who's a hardcore fan yet with a skill to follow the flow of the person being questioned. I've read/heard interviews where the person will cut off someone just to get to the next question and a potentially interesting road remains untraveled.

Otherwise it's the same thing said in slightly different ways, which I understand, most people don't have close to 1000 posts on a FB message board.

I suppose an exception to the above are when they're about a new record, though after a while those usually become the same, because...well...how much can one go on about the same topic? How long can I go on about it in this dang post?!

About Dave, easily the most surprising thing I learned years ago was his love for Rush and how he really had to curtail his playing for Frank's songs. I love drumming, watching, listening, etc. but I've never paid too much attention to his for the most part, which is a testament to how well he serves the song.

Live while they're not at the supersonic pace of the late 80s/early 90s, I still think he keeps a damn good rocking beat with a lot of energy.

cheers

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000