Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  08:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest entry, #6, about the FRANK BLACK solo album is up.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2021/03/21/frank-black-o-rama-6-frank-black/

I started doing these early last year, but got busy and put it on ice for awhile, but now I'm back in the saddle and excited to press forward. Some people liked these back then so I thought I'd start a thread.

Here's a "Table of Contents" page for the series as it develops.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/frank-black-o-rama-table-of-contents/

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  17:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

The latest entry, #6, about the FRANK BLACK solo album is up.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2021/03/21/frank-black-o-rama-6-frank-black/

I started doing these early last year, but got busy and put it on ice for awhile, but now I'm back in the saddle and excited to press forward. Some people liked these back then so I thought I'd start a thread.

Here's a "Table of Contents" page for the series as it develops.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/frank-black-o-rama-table-of-contents/

Jason, I have been loving these, and I can't wait to read your latest entry. Thanks for the time and effort, and also I'm glad to see you started a fresh thread for this. Great stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2021 :  22:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Frank Black's music is a fascinating thing to talk about for a lot of reasons. His music is often a reaction against whatever's happening in music/culture at the time. He's also this oddball who made his own path and had a lot of different phases along the way. I'm 44 and I love to observe the many different ways that people age and Frank has been so prolific that there is an epic narrative there to talk about.

I want to take my stab at telling that story, but from the point of view of the person walking up to the record store counter with the new album in hand. Or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2021 :  06:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
having received by mail a stellar new turntable w/speakers and amp included from turntablelab I was at once both psyched and intimidated. Eventually I figured out the whole fishing string with tiny weight thing. The result, Orange Gold! You never forget the first new turn upon play.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2021 :  06:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is that sponsored content, dan?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2021 :  14:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

is that sponsored content, dan?

it's educational

no. but damn I dig the sound
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2021 :  22:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black-O-Rama! #7: TEENAGER OF THE YEAR
http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2021/04/28/frank-black-o-rama-7-teenager-of-the-year/

Long albums, old magazines, The Kinks, UFOs, 50s rock, great music made under pressure and a few other things.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2021 :  21:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black-O-Rama! #10: THE CULT OF RAY
http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2021/07/31/frank-black-o-rama-10-the-cult-of-ray/

More UFOs, more 50s rock, Ray Bradbury, homemade album covers and does Frank write many songs about Kim Deal?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2021 :  10:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your entry on TOTY is spectacular. I can’t wait to reread and comment further. Who else remembers the day TOTY came out? I bought my cassette from the very hostess with the mostest.

I can’t get your Cult of Ray link to open for me. Surely that is an alien conspiracy at work. Help me if you can agent. Can’t wait to read it
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  01:01:16  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great read there Jason. The Cult Of Ray is a cracking album and I thoroughly enjoyed your take on it.
I'm a massive fan of the '96 shows - they had so much energy and were quite unlike any of his other periods.
Here's a great video of a COR-heavy set which I'm sure you've already seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY6cn2NFJgY
And a superb sounding 87-min audio set from '96 as well: https://ln4.sync.com/dl/b01ba3b20/qb7p6i8j-szpjn8fb-mi2uygk5-e7cthcjw

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  06:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I have no idea why the Cult of Ray link didn't open for you, Bedbug. I did a Wordpress update yesterday. Maybe that will fix it.

I wish I bought TOTY when it came out, but I was about a year away at the time from even knowing who Frank Black was.

My first Frank Black show was in 1996 in Dallas. I still remember that he was smiling a lot and moving around on stage, something that I later learned that he's not exactly known for doing.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  11:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jason I was able to read it. Great stuff as always.

January was 25 years since CoR. What a great album, one that I think separates the casual FB obsessive from the ultra obsessive. I just listened to it straight through this week. Looking forward to your review of Oddballs.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  13:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always a good read. COR is the first one that didn't grab me and still hasn't to this day.

But I'm gonna have a readandlistenanathon and give it another whirl :)
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2021 :  22:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Niiiice write-up. Good site. I love Cult of Ray, one of his best.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2021 :  12:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

The next 5 will be...

11 - DEATH TO THE PIXIES
12 - FB AND THE CATHOLICS
13 - PISTOLERO
14 - ODDBALLS
15 - DOG IN THE SAND

I think...

I'm undecided about whether to include all of the Pixies archival releases (such as the BBC album and the B-sides collection). I think I've run about things to say about Pixies 1.0, but I'll see how I feel as I go along.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2021 :  15:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks.

The next 5 will be...

11 - DEATH TO THE PIXIES
12 - FB AND THE CATHOLICS
13 - PISTOLERO
14 - ODDBALLS
15 - DOG IN THE SAND

I think...

I'm undecided about whether to include all of the Pixies archival releases (such as the BBC album and the B-sides collection). I think I've run about things to say about Pixies 1.0, but I'll see how I feel as I go along.

Can't wait for whatever you do next. I hope you do 'em all and don't skip anything.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2021 :  20:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black-O-Rama! #11: DEATH TO THE PIXIES
http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2021/09/17/frank-black-o-rama-11-death-to-the-pixies/

Frank Black makes peace with the Pixies in 1997? Maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2021 :  12:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice! thanks, jason.

my (first) copy of death to the pixies didn't actually come with the live disc.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2021 :  04:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great read, thanks Jason.

I never had this album, so I never heard that live performance til YouTube.

I did have that t-shirt back in 1992 that said "Death to the Pixies" in the long lettering and the thumbs down. I see now that if I would have hung onto that shirt I could sell it for $400. New ones are available at Walmart.com for $25. Kind of ironic.

Did Charles come up with the idea behind the shirt in 92 (and ultimately the album in 97) as a way of expressing how he was feeling about the band?

I agree the 17 tracks on the album are a nice enough mix. Not what I would have done with them, but definitely a good intro to the man and his band.

Thanks again Jason for your time on these pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2021 :  07:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always been under the impression that the "Death to the Pixies" shirts went way back to the early years of the band. Like "Surfer Rosa" era, if not earlier. I was just a kid so I don't know firsthand, though.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2021 :  09:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2021 :  11:58:42  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another great writeup.
I might dust off my 4x10" vinyl boxset of DTTP for the spin today...

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2021 :  08:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've always been under the impression that the "Death to the Pixies" shirts went way back to the early years of the band. Like "Surfer Rosa" era, if not earlier. I was just a kid so I don't know firsthand, though.

That's interesting. FB does look young on the pic
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2021 :  20:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black-O-Rama! #12: FRANK BLACK AND THE CATHOLICS
http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2021/11/12/frank-black-o-rama-12-frank-black-and-the-catholics/

A little history, a little of this, a little of that.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  08:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really enjoying these Jason! Thanks so much.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  18:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am surprised however that there's no mention of the They Might Be Giants influence on his first three solo albums. I basically assume that since in the early 90s Frank became "obsessed" with TMBG's Flood, his songwriting and approach changed drastically, and those first two albums basically sound like Pixies meets TMBG (not to mention a Cult of Ray song named after Flansburgh banter.) There's a lot of musical influences on those albums, but I think TMBG really changed things for him at that time (and then he reflexed hard against it with the Catholics.)

However, take with a grain of salt as I myself am obsessed with TMBG, and Frank :)

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 11/13/2021 18:56:50
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  19:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been a big TMBG fan so their influence on Frank would be a blind spot for me.

Maybe I would like them. It's been a loooooooong time since I've listened to them.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  20:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved this one too Jason, I'll definitely go back and read it more closely.

I was not aware of the history of the album, so thanks for that.

I agree with you about Dylan. I think there is a lot of Bob in Frank.

I also think this is one of Frank's most spiritual albums.

Thanks again and I look forward to re-reading this one and all the next ones.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  21:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never been a big TMBG fan so their influence on Frank would be a blind spot for me.

Maybe I would like them. It's been a loooooooong time since I've listened to them.

I tell TMBG fans if they like TMBG, they'd like Teenager of the Year. So the inverse is true, if you like Teenager, you'd like TMBG! Short melodic rock songs with oblique and fascinating lyrics, mostly about dark or haunting subject matter.

If you want some buddies following along in listening, me and my friend do a pretty intensive and fun podcast about their stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  05:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

I tell TMBG fans if they like TMBG, they'd like Teenager of the Year. So the inverse is true, if you like Teenager, you'd like TMBG! Short melodic rock songs with oblique and fascinating lyrics, mostly about dark or haunting subject matter.

If you want some buddies following along in listening, me and my friend do a pretty intensive and fun podcast about their stuff!

Wow, comparing anything to TOTY is quite the extraordinary claim.

Where should someone who knows nothing of TMBG, such as myself, begin?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  23:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

It's not extraordinary to a TMBG fan :) To me TOTY is just Frank trying to be TMBG (among his other influences too.)

My two favorite albums are Lincoln and John Henry, which are forever locked in battle in my head. I'd also recommend following along with my podcast, if you're the type who listens to podcasts. I've had people tell me it really boosted the experience for them in checking out TMBG albums. Of course, you can also just listen to the music.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2021 :  04:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

the most accessible records are their more commercial ones ie. Flood and Apollo 18. I love both of those records, but they really are all great.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2021 :  08:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's funny, I've never thought of those albums as commercial, especially Apollo 18. I could see John Henry and some of the 2000s albums as commercial for sure. But to be honest, I'm not sure that's an adjective I'd ever use to describe their stuff. They seem incapable of following any popular music current trends in a normal way or not sounding like themselves.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2021 :  05:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fair enough. it's just that those were the albums that had some radio and video play where I live
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2021 :  11:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
1.) Frank Black was clearly over being rock’s top UFO conspiracy weirdo. There’s not ONE WORD on this whole album about Mars or outer space or aliens. The subjects here are love gone wrong, death, religion, escape, traffic, mysticism, personal misery and Jonathan Richman.

Isn't Dog Gone about aliens?

quote:
I have fuzzy memories of an old interview in which Black says that the lyrics are from a dog’s point of view, but don’t quote me on that.

You must be thinking of Pray For The Girls, which is from a dog's point of view. I've always taken the lyrics in Dog Gone to be from an alien's point of view. He said that in an interview, I swear to god.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 11/29/2021 11:42:40
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2021 :  12:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMBG interview in the Guardian recently. I remember Istanbul and Birdhouse in Your Soul being on radio quite a bit back then, my brother had the Istanbul single on vinyl. Random fact, my workmates parents neighbours daughter is married to John Linnell, nice man I'm told!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/nov/29/i-wrote-it-from-the-perspective-of-a-night-light-how-they-might-be-giants-made-birdhouse-in-your-soul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000