Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  09:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doing my best Bedbug impression here. What are your expectations ?

Mine:

- More Joey (he was great on HC but maybe a bit stuck in his trademark two-string bends and usual tricks - need more melodies !)
- Paz: she's a good musician, she can play other instruments
- Dave: a litte more fantasy
- Black Francis: continue to amaze us
- Message to the band (even if it's too late !): Screw fans ! Step out of your comfort zone. We don't need a Surfer Rosa 2.0.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 12/30/2018 09:31:04

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  10:19:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Disappointment again probably
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  01:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Disappointment again probably

Has nothing from the first two albums brought you any joy Pot?

Personally I loved Indie Cindie, I though Bag Boy, Andro Queen, Greens and Blues, Women of War, Jaimie Bravo were all great.

From HC I thought Plaster of Paris and Baals back were fantastic.

Surprised they left you disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  02:16:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're talking about comparing 2.0 to 1.0 here. I don't hate the new stuff, Greens and Blues is a good song and there are some new songs I like, but overall I find the 2.0 stuff so disappointing. It doesn't leave me wanting to go back for more, like the old stuff always has.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  02:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I am with pot on this one.

My expectations are low. I expect the third 2.0 album will be one of my bottom three "Pixies" albums, along with HC and IC. But I like them all. Hope that makes sense.

And great impression picpic!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  03:57:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From 2.3 I'm expecting something that will likely deviate from the Pixies canon somewhat and bring Paz in to play some folky instrument numbers. Whilst in general I like that kind of thing I will find it hard to think of as "Pixies"

Who knows though they might knock out some real classics so I remain optimistic.

Edited by - pot on 12/31/2018 03:58:30
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  06:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expectations are different than desires, so I'm just being my usual pessimistic self.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  06:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

From 2.3 I'm expecting something that will likely deviate from the Pixies canon somewhat and bring Paz in to play some folky instrument numbers. Whilst in general I like that kind of thing I will find it hard to think of as "Pixies"

Why not ? Late 1.0 albums are very different from the early ones and those are still Pixies whatsoever.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:28:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Why not ? Late 1.0 albums are very different from the early ones and those are still Pixies whatsoever.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yes I suppose there is quite a lot of variation in style between the 1.0 stuffs.

They've never done folk music though, although Frank Black has so I guess in anticipation of something like that I would be more inclined to relate that to the solo FB stuff than Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
zero excitement so far
hoping to get aroused by some leaks from the recording, or live versions

maybe a full-band intense version of Please Don't Go would be my current level of expectation

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paz line up is 2.1, surely? Kim S would have been 2.0.. Or was 2.0 the 3 piece following Kim D's departure and then 2.1 was with Kim S and 2.2 is Paz?

Also, there was 1.1 with Santiago 2.0 and 1.2 with EDF?

Happy NYE 2019.0 btw!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead of starting another thread like bedbug would, I'll just ask everyone here:

If you're not excited now for the new Pixies album, what WOULD get you excited for the new Pixies album?

For me, it would be the absence of compression coupled with speed / high energy. That would get me interested at least.

And maybe if they would just cover Bad Wicked World or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested anyway but a bit more diversity in track lengths and tempo would be welcome. A more dynamic mix too. I don't mind a bit of variety with the instrumentation but it needs that core of dual guitars, bass & drums - I don't want to start hearing piano ballads or C&W songs.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:11:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something that sounded exactly like Bossanova 2.0 but uniquely different in it's own 2.0 way
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  08:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Something that sounded exactly like Bossanova 2.0 but uniquely different in it's own 2.0 way

So picpic doesn't want Surfer 2.0 (see the OP) but you want Bossa 2.0. :-)

Either one sounds good to me.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  09:35:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly Head Carrier was said to be sort of Doolittle 2.0, but it wasn't really was it.
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  13:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing as everyone's expectations are low, and few believe they can reach the heights of Pixies 1.0, I'd like for them to stop worrying about trying to create Surfer Rosa or Doolittle clones, trying to please everyone with 11 or 12 pretty okay to good tunes, while still pissing everyone off because the new songs are not as good as the old ones.

Just go for broke and 'The adventure and the resolution' the fuck out of everything. Kitchen Sink the next one with weird, unfinished stuff (for example, 'Snakes' would still be pretty cool if it was just a variation of that intro). Fill it up with non-traditional Pixies material, like 'Meet me at the ghetto gates'-type stuff. Just stay away from boring songs (I'm looking at you, 'Please Don't Go').

I know that time between the oddballs tends to be so very long, and that probably this kind of experimentation comes from bands that are close to their prime, but a less safer road wouldn't be that bad of a choice for their next one. The hate reviews will come either way.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  20:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything they release will be compared negatively to their original body of work. Even if it's really good. Those albums have had 30 years, why does anything new have to be compared to them, because of the band name?

I personally think Indie Cindy and Head Carrier are good albums and I expect the next album to be good also. Sorry to be a grouch but I think the whole 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever is a load of balls. It's Frank, enjoy him while he's here.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  01:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that it’s all Frank and we should enjoy him by whatever form he takes, but if you don’t draw a distinction between 1.0 and 2.0 then I don’t know what to tell you.

I’ve made the argument before that the best Pixies album of all time is TOTY, if you don’t distinguish between dispensations.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  05:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, TOTY has 3 Pixies if you count EDF. Though I don't know if the naysayers would allow him to be classed as an official member. I would!

My previous post wasn't aimed at anyone I was more just vent posting. I was thinking about when the Catholics went from Lyle to Rich or to Dave P there was no (from what I recall) thoughts of the Catholics being a different band or a different carnation.

But then again the change of personnel with the Catholics was during their life cycle and they have not been reincarnated or rebooted which is how I guess the Pixies are probably viewed now.

That got me to thinking about the ethos of both bands. The Catholics ethos was to record live to 2 track and any change of personnel did not change that.

The Pixies original ethos (to me anyway) was indie art rock borrowed from the Velvet Underground minus the glam.

I don't think that ethos has changed too much despite the time apart, huge reunion, ageing etc. Maybe their work now isn't as essential but to compare it to the body of work of their first outing isn't just comparing it against their own work but genre defining albums. I'm more just appreciative that they are making music coming from the same place.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  06:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10
The Pixies original ethos (to me anyway) was indie art rock borrowed from the Velvet Underground minus the glam.

Maybe they never bothered dressing the part, but the artsy proto-punk kind of glam rock was definitely an influence on the music.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  06:11:19  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.dreamlandrecording.com/console/ I'm sure Mr.Dalgety got heavenly and devilish sounds on that console.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  10:50:25  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
If you're not excited now for the new Pixies album, what WOULD get you excited for the new Pixies album?

I want a new Frank Black solo album.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  20:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  03:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

I want a new Frank Black solo album.

Denis

You'll get one later this year.

(featuring the Pixies as the backing band)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  04:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, I was gonna say, aren't all his albums Frank Black albums.

But then of course we'd have that whole debate again and then be here for a while.

But if vilainde means something a la the imperial era, then I'm with him 100%.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  06:54:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
But if vilainde means something a la the imperial era, then I'm with him 100%.

I mean, we all would love to get back to that era. An album a year (sometimes 2), small club tours, constant experimenting. It's hard to ask someone to earn LESS money though... But 10-15 years ago I was eagerly counting the days when I'd run into the record store to get the new FB album; last week I passed without stopping by the SR/CoP reissue (yeah! the same albums we've had for 30 years, PLUS yet another live gig!) and I died a little inside.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  07:00:57  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thinking about it, I think it's the touring that angers me more than the new albums. If there were 3 years between each new release, but because they did something else meanwhile (don't know, painting - is he still doing this? - , composing soundtracks, guesting on charity compilations... I don't know, sail around the world or something), I'd understand it. But how someone, so creative as they are, can spend 15 years doing the same fucking concert each night is just beyond me. I'll listen to the new album. I did buy Head Carrier the day of its release and I like it quite a lot. But learning they'll do yet a new Pixies/Weezer tour in 2019 makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2019 :  10:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate your view and passion and everything vilainde, I really do. And I'm with you all the way.

I've brought up the unseen hand before, and I keep wondering if it's true:

Is there some producer type principality that discourages FB (or other artists in his situation) from doing little side gigs, one man shows, random events, etc., because it takes away from the bottom line at the big shows (the Weezer shows, etc)?

Plus the fact that he's only got so much time and energy, and many other responsibilities, that to do a fun one man show of b-sides, covers, requests, and other oddities, accompanied by a weirdo like EDF, just wouldn't be worth it for the couple thousand bucks he'd end up with.

What is the total number of people on earth that want to hear him perform Calistan? Fewer than one hundred?
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  06:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expect nothing from the new album. Na-da. Zilch.

LP7 will be a triumph if it includes even one track that I would happily listen to during a live set, content with knowing that it's crowding out coin-flip songs like Dead, River Euphrates, Rock Music, Tame, and No. 13 Baby. (How those songs aren't setlist staples is beyond me.)

By that rather simple standard, Indie Cindy utterly failed to produce anything of value. Head Carrier produced two worthy setlist detours: Baal's Back: a nasty little song with a dirty rhythm -- it gets me (and the audience, from my experience) dancing from the first beat -- and of course the blissful Plaster of Paris: its subtle build from 1:10 to 1:30 elevates us to the heavenly apogee of 2.0. Pixies ("I'll be the son of a son of a son of a bastard.") It's no wonder this track, and this moment of exaltation, was the record's original namesake. When the Pixies get it right, they get it perfect.

If this album can do that again, even just once more, even just for twenty seconds, I'll be grateful.

Edited by - tamefan on 01/07/2019 06:31:26
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  06:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I expect nothing from the new album. Na-da. Zilch.

LP7 will be a triumph if it includes even one track that I would happily listen to during a live set, content with knowing that it's crowding out coin-flip songs like Dead, River Euphrates, Rock Music, Tame, and No. 13 Baby. (How those songs aren't setlist staples is beyond me.)

By that rather simple standard, Indie Cindy utterly failed to produce anything of value. Head Carrier produced two worthy setlist detours: Baal's Back: a nasty little song with a dirty rhythm -- it gets me (and the audience, from my experience) dancing from the first beat -- and of course the blissful Plaster of Paris: its subtle build from 1:10 to 1:30 elevates us to the heavenly apogee of 2.0. Pixies ("I'll be the son of a son of a son of a bastard.") It's no wonder this track, and this moment of exaltation, was the record's original namesake. When the Pixies get it right, they get it perfect.

If this album can do that again, even just once more, even just for twenty seconds, I'll be grateful.

I am already a tamefan fan
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2019 :  08:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't really expect anything fantastic. What I'd LOVE them to do is something similar to what Fitzy said, weird unconventional stuff. Pere Ubu's Carnival of Souls album from a few years ago - some of that is unhinged, weird, nuts, etc. And the first track Golden Surf II rocks. They are similar bands and I often wish BF could make a ballsy album like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHfZovOsXlI

The thing about any new Pixies album - there WILL be nuggets of gold. Of course there will be. But that just makes it a greater shame that he's no longer cracking out an album a year like he used to do.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  23:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan
-- and of course the blissful Plaster of Paris: its subtle build from 1:10 to 1:30 elevates us to the heavenly apogee of 2.0. Pixies ("I'll be the son of a son of a son of a bastard.") It's no wonder this track, and this moment of exaltation, was the record's original namesake.

Really ? I thought it was "Cephalophore" ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  08:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

Just go for broke and 'The adventure and the resolution' the fuck out of everything. Kitchen Sink the next one with weird, unfinished stuff (for example, 'Snakes' would still be pretty cool if it was just a variation of that intro). Fill it up with non-traditional Pixies material, like 'Meet me at the ghetto gates'-type stuff. Just stay away from boring songs (I'm looking at you, 'Please Don't Go').

other than the usual (would rather hear a new FB&C album) I agree with this
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  09:35:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have no “expectations” per se. I don’t even know what I’d like. Certianly not an attempt to capture the 1.0 lightning in a bottle. I think more than anything I’d just like to be surprised, ideally in a good way, by whatever it is. Something that catches me off guard.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

trevgreg
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  10:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde
But how someone, so creative as they are, can spend 15 years doing the same fucking concert each night is just beyond me.

This is the type of post I see on just about every other band's message board. Not so much of a Pixies one though.

quote:
Plus the fact that he's only got so much time and energy, and many other responsibilities, that to do a fun one man show of b-sides, covers, requests, and other oddities, accompanied by a weirdo like EDF, just wouldn't be worth it for the couple thousand bucks he'd end up with.

Ditto.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000