New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  01:01:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/89932863/the-pixies-still-delivering-musical-mayhem

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  05:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Obviously it was high time for their first break-up – officially referred to as a hiatus – especially once conflict between Deal and Thompson escalated into actual violence"

JFC
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  06:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

"Obviously it was high time for their first break-up – officially referred to as a hiatus – especially once conflict between Deal and Thompson escalated into actual violence"

JFC

Yeah that was a little intense to read.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  09:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
After a bit of teasing and a handful of solo albums,

...is where I stopped reading. FB&C not even worth a mention? Please.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  01:05:39  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/the-literal-magic-of-the-pixies

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  01:17:11  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.soundcloud.com/abc-melbourne/black-francis-and-paz-lenchatin-from-the-pixies-with-clare-bowditch

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  04:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great interview. That Dylan ref is savage.

And writing the second verse of Break My Body the day it was first performed live, did I hear that right? Sick.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  05:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that explains why he never seems to have quite settled on those lyrics. Every Break My Body performance seems to come in a different variant.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  11:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like he writes them fast a lot of the time. Didn't he say somewhere that most of FMRM were just "quickies"?

I've often thought about how he could potentially spend a total of less than one hour writing and recording a song that I end up listening to for hours and hours and hours.

I bet there are song of his I listened to this week that he hasn't touched in 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  11:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always did love that second verse on Break my Body.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:17:53  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.hauraki.co.nz/listen/radio-hauraki-audio-vault/angelina-interviews-pixies/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Edited by - pixie punk on 03/07/2017 01:18:34
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:22:06  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.rrr.org.au/whats-going-on/news/life-as-a-pixie/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:40:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-charles-thompson/8312766

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard / read Dave make that Grateful Dead comparison a few times.

I know very little of the Dead.

Are there any Deadheads on the forum who can comment on the analogy?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  04:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I skip any interview by Dave. Seems like a nice enough guy but there is almost never anything insightful gained from his interviews. I miss Joey's randomness and sarcasm.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  09:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading Fool the World, Doolittle 33 1/3 and countless interviews over there years there isn't much left in the way of interviews for me; probably a good exhibit of FB/Pixies overkill on my part.

Now I think the best interviews are ones like Mr. Peter Radiator's, someone who's a hardcore fan yet with a skill to follow the flow of the person being questioned. I've read/heard interviews where the person will cut off someone just to get to the next question and a potentially interesting road remains untraveled.

Otherwise it's the same thing said in slightly different ways, which I understand, most people don't have close to 1000 posts on a FB message board.

I suppose an exception to the above are when they're about a new record, though after a while those usually become the same, because...well...how much can one go on about the same topic? How long can I go on about it in this dang post?!

About Dave, easily the most surprising thing I learned years ago was his love for Rush and how he really had to curtail his playing for Frank's songs. I love drumming, watching, listening, etc. but I've never paid too much attention to his for the most part, which is a testament to how well he serves the song.

Live while they're not at the supersonic pace of the late 80s/early 90s, I still think he keeps a damn good rocking beat with a lot of energy.

cheers

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  09:33:53  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://glidemagazine.com/183004/joey-santiago-pixies-talks-new-tour-familiar-audience-recovery-interview/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  21:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://glidemagazine.com/183004/joey-santiago-pixies-talks-new-tour-familiar-audience-recovery-interview/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  04:21:30  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/13/the-pixies-come-to-southern-california-for-a-quartet-of-shows/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  06:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/13/the-pixies-come-to-southern-california-for-a-quartet-of-shows/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

It will be nice to read articles about 2.0 when the first sentence of the opening paragraph is not about John Murphy's wife.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  01:33:52  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.kx935.com/podcasts/tnn-radio-april-16-2017-pixies/ Podcast with Joey.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  02:11:08  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/the-pixies-joey-santiago-and-paz-lenchantin-on-making-music-after-kim-deal-9381120

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  02:27:17  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sd-et-music-the-pixies-20170413-story.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  02:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sd-et-music-the-pixies-20170413-story.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

"3 weeks to learn 90 songs"

That's amazing.

And makes me think that leaves what, 18 songs or something that she never learned?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  04:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess she didn't have to learn all the lost gems they never played since the reunion.

1- Oh my Golly
2- I'm amazed
3- All over the world
4- Down to the well
5- The Happening
6- Hang Wire
7- Trompe Le Monde
8- Palace of the Brine
9- Letter to Memphis
10-Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons
11-Space I Believe In
12-Lovely Day
13-The Navajo Know
14-Silver (played only at the Doolittle tribute shows)
15-Stormy Weather (played on the reunion tour)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  04:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I guess she didn't have to learn all the lost gems they never played since the reunion.

1- Oh my Golly
2- I'm amazed
3- All over the world
4- Down to the well
5- The Happening
6- Hang Wire
7- Trompe Le Monde
8- Palace of the Brine
9- Letter to Memphis
10-Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons
11-Space I Believe In
12-Lovely Day
13-The Navajo Know
14-Silver (played only at the Doolittle tribute shows)
15-Stormy Weather (played on the reunion tour)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Probably she didn't have to learn Bravo either, and a few of the others from IC (Ring the Bell?)
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  04:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct ! Bravo and Ring the Bell were never performed either.

(and Woman of War, and many pre-reunion B-Sides)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 04/20/2017 05:00:04
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  05:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't WoW the first song that Paz sings on? And she hasn't sung it since that day in the studio?

That's a real shame if so, because the tempo alone would make it an awesome live experience.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  08:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I just reread the article and Paz says she "learned every single song on all the records," so I imagine she learned those 15 that they'll not likely play? Even Space (I Believe In).

Wow indeed
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  01:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

It looks like they started to play Ring the Bell on June 7th 2015 in Toronto but abandoned it (from setlist dot com)
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  03:16:45  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.houstonpress.com/music/paz-lenchantin-is-more-than-a-hired-gun-for-the-pixies-9389792

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  12:07:11  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.freepresshouston.com/everyone-is-getting-it-an-interview-with-pixies/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  16:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

It looks like they started to play Ring the Bell on June 7th 2015 in Toronto but abandoned it (from setlist dot com)

I was at that show and created that setlist. It was an odd show - at a small venue in Toronto after a cancelled opening slot for Robert Plant. Members of the crew came out before the band to "inform" the audience that the Pixies had not played a small venue in many years and to please keep our drinks off of the stage. It was pretty funny and amazing to literally be moshing 5 feet away from FB.

Anyway - on the setlist. I made notes throughout the show because I was worried, given the small size of the crowd, that no one else would. I used a notepad app on my cellphone. Unfortunately, my phone's screen unlocked in my pocket about mid-set (during one of the moshes) and it jumbled up my notes. Some songs were deleted and others had random jibberish text.

So I am not 100% certain on the exact order of some of the songs from around #5-#15. I'm dead certain on the start of the set and also the last-half. Luckily, I took several videos which showed transitions between songs so that helped to improve the accuracy of the list.

I know the comments I made on the setlist have been met with some skepticism on this forum. A few notes. I noted in the setlist the "extended intro" they played for Gouge Away, which the band has played at subsequent shows (I saw them twice in Europe last summer and they did a shortened version of the extended version that I first saw them play at this show). They also performed an extended version of U-Mass - basically, FB played the riff for (what felt like) 30+sec and Joey did some spacey guitar stuff.

I was hesitant to add Ring the Bell to the setlist, for two reasons. First, because they do not play the song live and they did not play it at this show. Second, because the false start that I heard was super brief and I could be mistaking it for Ring the Bell. Nevertheless, they played something and it closely resembled that high note that opens RTB. I'm not sure what else it could have been. The opening to this show was just weird in general - U-Mass and Gouge Away were these slow, meandering versions and the band seemed to be warming up to the fact that they were in the back room of a bar with fans who could reach out and touch them.

Another note on the show: they also played an extended version of In Heaven, which I did not note on the setlist website. This version was slowed down, with a spacey guitar vibe. I believe they've played it this way since (I recall them doing something similar at a show that I saw last summer - although this version in Toronto felt particularly moody, likely because it was my first time hearing it and given the intimate setting).

Finally, my note that they played a "jazz version" of Nimrod's son is admittedly a little embellished. Between the chorus and second verse, the tempo came down and FB played with a sort of jazzy swagger. They played through the second verse at this slowed pace. I can't recall if the tempo picked up for the final chorus, I just remember the song reminding me of the surf version of Wave of Mutilation.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  01:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I was at that show and created that setlist. It was an odd show - at a small venue in Toronto after a cancelled opening slot for Robert Plant. Members of the crew came out before the band to "inform" the audience that the Pixies had not played a small venue in many years and to please keep our drinks off of the stage. It was pretty funny and amazing to literally be moshing 5 feet away from FB.

Anyway - on the setlist. I made notes throughout the show because I was worried, given the small size of the crowd, that no one else would. I used a notepad app on my cellphone. Unfortunately, my phone's screen unlocked in my pocket about mid-set (during one of the moshes) and it jumbled up my notes. Some songs were deleted and others had random jibberish text.

So I am not 100% certain on the exact order of some of the songs from around #5-#15. I'm dead certain on the start of the set and also the last-half. Luckily, I took several videos which showed transitions between songs so that helped to improve the accuracy of the list.

I know the comments I made on the setlist have been met with some skepticism on this forum. A few notes. I noted in the setlist the "extended intro" they played for Gouge Away, which the band has played at subsequent shows (I saw them twice in Europe last summer and they did a shortened version of the extended version that I first saw them play at this show). They also performed an extended version of U-Mass - basically, FB played the riff for (what felt like) 30+sec and Joey did some spacey guitar stuff.

I was hesitant to add Ring the Bell to the setlist, for two reasons. First, because they do not play the song live and they did not play it at this show. Second, because the false start that I heard was super brief and I could be mistaking it for Ring the Bell. Nevertheless, they played something and it closely resembled that high note that opens RTB. I'm not sure what else it could have been. The opening to this show was just weird in general - U-Mass and Gouge Away were these slow, meandering versions and the band seemed to be warming up to the fact that they were in the back room of a bar with fans who could reach out and touch them.

Another note on the show: they also played an extended version of In Heaven, which I did not note on the setlist website. This version was slowed down, with a spacey guitar vibe. I believe they've played it this way since (I recall them doing something similar at a show that I saw last summer - although this version in Toronto felt particularly moody, likely because it was my first time hearing it and given the intimate setting).

Finally, my note that they played a "jazz version" of Nimrod's son is admittedly a little embellished. Between the chorus and second verse, the tempo came down and FB played with a sort of jazzy swagger. They played through the second verse at this slowed pace. I can't recall if the tempo picked up for the final chorus, I just remember the song reminding me of the surf version of Wave of Mutilation.

Thank you tamefan for the eyewitness account. I don't doubt your reporting. Sounds like a great show to experience. I saw them three times in May 2015 and, like most members of this forum, was hoping I would hear something new / different along with the classics. Even then I noticed that the IC songs were less prominent in the setlists than maybe they could have been, certainly less prominent than the HC songs are in 2017 setlists. At this rate it looks like you and a few others there that night are the only ones who will get to hear any of Ring the Bell in a live performance (I think I'll live).

If you ever come across a recording of that show let us know.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  03:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still doubt about Ring the Bell being played. It's strange that they didn't even try to play it again at any other show ?

Generally they have a bunch of "discarded" song(s) for every album. Seems like Bravo & Bell were the discarded ones from IC. They initially didn't even planned to do a video for Ring the Bell. They only suggested some fans to make one by accident.

Sad Punk has kind of a similar lead guitar intro.

Interesting trivia ;-)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 05/02/2017 03:45:35
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  07:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still doubt about Ring the Bell being played. It's strange that they didn't even try to play it again at any other show ?

Generally they have a bunch of "discarded" song(s) for every album. Seems like Bravo & Bell were the discarded ones from IC. They initially didn't even planned to do a video for Ring the Bell. They only suggested some fans to make one by accident.

Sad Punk has kind of a similar lead guitar intro.

Interesting trivia ;-)

___
"Service Unavailable"

I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and thought the music playing was Ring the Bell by the Pixies. It turned out to be Amy Grant or Celine Deon or somebody, but sounded about the same.

I never thought I'd hear any comparison made between Ring the Bell and The Sad Punk, but I get your point picpic. There is some similarity to the first guitar note. Still, it's hard to believe the same band is behind both songs.

Nevertheless it would be cool to hear it live. If tamefan can confirm that he / she heard some of the lyrics, that would settle it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000