New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  13:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I recently turned 50 and my asked my kid (who is into Pixies) to get me the BTE vinyl box set, with the demos, etc. Thought it would be nice to be able to associate the album with him.

But...since he's 14 and a little %^@&$ he totally snoozed and blew it. And of course it's sold out. I looked on eBay and saw some signed CDs but no vinyl/demos. ME NEEDS IT! Anybody know where to get one online? Thanks!

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  14:57:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out page 9 of the BTE main thread. Warpig’s Link is live, and DM SmurfyX, he apparently made Sprites rips anonymous with mediafire or something - and I don’t know how to access that but he (or she?) should.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  19:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it's on page 7. Thanks Sprite.
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  01:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Frank Black community!

I've been bitching about technology recently, how all these systems meant to simplify our lives seem instead to present a bunch of hurdles (i.e. "We don't recognize this device, so please enter the confirmation code that we've sent via text to your recovery phone number. Please note that if the recovery phone number does not belong to you, and you cannot reach that person for the code, then you will not be able to access this account. Ever. etc....")

That said, technology is also pretty amazing. I clicked the link for the demos, clicked a couple more things and within 60 seconds I had the demos. Amazing, thanks again!

The point of my original post was that I was (and still am) looking for the actual vinyl copies, I would like to own the BTE vinyl box set, but haven't been able to find any online. Maybe there will be more after the initial furor dies down (can you feel the FUROR?!?). If anyone sees any floating around, please advise. Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  03:31:41  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you’re going to have to pay a pretty penny for the vinyl, Neptune. The only one I’ve seen is on Discogs for 250 smackers. There is another one there for $60 but the condition is listed as “poor.” I’m assuming someone is trying to sell their warped / dished / defective copy. So I’d steer clear of any low priced copies.

I don’t think I saw anything on the board here, but over on the stevehoffman.tv forums there were several guys that got really defective copies and they had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a replacement. One guy’s replacement was defective too. Mine was fine, a little pitting here and there, but that’s the problem with these non-black vinyl releases. Nothing is ever as good as good old fashioned black vinyl.

Good luck in your search though!

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/03/2019 04:14:25
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  07:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man why did you trust such an important purchase to a 14 year old?? Haha poor kid I hope you weren't too mean to him
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2019 :  10:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

"Caught in a Dream" is the bonus track on the Japanese cd release.
So that's one track that has been made available elsewhere...

If anyone's interested in the cd sourced version of Caught in a Dream, it's here for one week only: https://we.tl/t-7ftnG8MFqe

I'm not an expert on any of this, but I can imagine this could possibly be useful in getting the correct speed on vinyl transfers?

Either way, it's the only non-vinyl demo I know of.
Enjoy, if this is your cup of tea.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  11:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The CD quality version sounds incredible. More punchy. Hope the rest surface some day.

I listened to the demos again the other day and damn...I just love this album so much. I'm seeing it as an album. I suggest calling it Beneath Beneath The Eyrie.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  15:12:58  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed there are a couple on Youtube that look similar to the official releases, not sure of the quality.

Edited by - hammerhands on 10/28/2019 15:14:48
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  23:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

I noticed there are a couple on Youtube that look similar to the official releases, not sure of the quality.

there are a couple of what on youtube?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  23:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
about the vinyl rips of the demos: two different ones were shared on here.

1. sprite's mp3s: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9ha49g563uu29hz/BonusTracks.zip/file
flacs were also made available, but the dropbox link no longer works. i was too late. and i've not found a longer living mediafire equivalent.
any chance the flacs could be uploaded again, anyone? thank you!

2. warpig81's (48 kHz/24-bit) flacs: https://mega.nz/#!Th5ghAoa!QoI2ZyHKx4OlteoHdMcTtllOSt6iOmlah97DxFkalrM

thanks again for your effort!

are there any other transfers out there?
if so, where can they be found?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  06:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS to all for the vinyl rips and to Discoking for the CD track rip.

Yes, the CD version sounds GREAT.

I cannot help but think that THIS is the sound that Joey kept mentioning when he was waxing on about the group taking an old-school, "raw" approach to their next record.

It sounds like them in a rehearsal space, using their road gear and tracking not long after they finally got the arrangements down, then overdubbing keeper vocals and mixing without much artifice.

Once can only assume there also exist demos from these same sessions for all of the tracks that wound up on BTE which were not composed in Dreamtime Studios, but that the band and/or management felt it was better not to duplicate those songs on the bonus disc.

It might make for an uncomfortable situation where uberfans would wind up comparing and contrasting them to Dalgety's finished versions...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  08:22:01  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

there are a couple of what on youtube?

it's educational

Pixies Demos
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUKA3YrXwgVj6haivzO9WD8ASUcXKugLO
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  16:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

about the vinyl rips of the demos: two different ones were shared on here.

1. sprite's mp3s: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9ha49g563uu29hz/BonusTracks.zip/file
flacs were also made available, but the dropbox link no longer works. i was too late. and i've not found a longer living mediafire equivalent.
any chance the flacs could be uploaded again, anyone? thank you!

2. warpig81's (48 kHz/24-bit) flacs: https://mega.nz/#!Th5ghAoa!QoI2ZyHKx4OlteoHdMcTtllOSt6iOmlah97DxFkalrM

thanks again for your effort!

it's educational

Here is a link to the FLAC files that Sprite uploaded:
https://mega.nz/#!wxthyQaB!-xO48UrQtrA66RO3MU6yxzgCEm7_WMuYBcQ9HuwqglM

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  00:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

I cannot help but think that THIS is the sound that Joey kept mentioning when he was waxing on about the group taking an old-school, "raw" approach to their next record.

It sounds like them in a rehearsal space, using their road gear and tracking not long after they finally got the arrangements down, then overdubbing keeper vocals and mixing without much artifice.

Yes, I thought the exact same thing
The timelines of demo recording vs. Joey interviews seem to match

I can totally consider these demos as a (good) Pixies album, because of stylistic and sound consistency

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Edited by - sdon on 10/30/2019 01:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  04:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aerohead

Here is a link to the FLAC files that Sprite uploaded:
https://mega.nz/#!wxthyQaB!-xO48UrQtrA66RO3MU6yxzgCEm7_WMuYBcQ9HuwqglM

Enjoy!

Thank you very much!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  04:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

The point of my original post was that I was (and still am) looking for the actual vinyl copies, I would like to own the BTE vinyl box set, but haven't been able to find any online. Maybe there will be more after the initial furor dies down (can you feel the FUROR?!?). If anyone sees any floating around, please advise. Thanks!!

I had another look, but couldn't find anything that wasn't ridiculously priced.
One day... It's probably too soon now.

The "poor quality" on discogs is just the box, without the records, by the way. LOL!
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1003078407 "Just the boxset ,without vinyls, cd and booklet. New, but with a ding on a corner."

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
255 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  05:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been keeping an eye on a few of the major torrent sites and the demos have not popped up there in any format.
This board is the only place I've ever seen any rips of the demos.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  09:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those demos becoming rarities is kinda cool.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  16:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caught in a dream is caught in my head
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  20:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love BTE so much that I actually forgot about the bonus demos until last week or so. I did not buy the super collector vinyl (bought the Deluxe Edition CD; wish they were there), but I did SEEK my SOUL and there they were were.

And they're great!

If you bought it, can you post the songwriting credits? There are several Frank/Paz collaborations on BTE and I'm curious if that's true of these, too.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  02:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The demos are all credited to Black Francis.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  04:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apple Music just uploaded "Beneath the Eyrie Demos, Pt. 1 - Single"

Somewhat similar art to cover of BTE.

Track list is:

The Good Works of Cyrus
Please, Don't Go
Chapel Hill

Better late than never.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  07:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice find Bedbug, thanks! Were you just browsing or how did you come across it?

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  07:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, note to all... now that the demos are commercially available, any torrents/etc should be removed please and thanks.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2020 :  12:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cult of Frank.

I found them by browsing. The pros and cons of hitchhiking so to speak.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000