New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SPEEDYMARIEGONZALES
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  14:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have been listening to grant hart record "hot wax" from last year
awesome album, one of the best from last year,anyway i would like to recommend to give it a listen.

Manuel wants to keep his pet rat.
Manuel: Mrs. Fawlty, please understand. If he go, I go!
Basil Fawlty: Well, goodbye!

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  18:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good album indeed. I've heard/read that he will play with a backing band for a few shows!
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  02:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I listened to it last night after reading this - it's on Spotify. I liked it, nice 60's tinges but the songs got a bit samey and repetitive. That's only one listen though. Preferred it to Bob Mould's recent offering.

Easy Easy Easy!! MicknPhil Marathon Lads Sign this petition
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  12:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw the man himself play last week. Surreal seeing one of my 'heroes' (well, someone whose music I respect and love) play in a small late bar boasting little over thirty people. Have to say, he put on a great show - the Hot Wax material mixed very nicely with the Husker Du songs.

Highlights included Pink Turns To Blue, California Zephyr (which I love; the chorus reminds me of Don't Ya Rile Em), The Last Days of Pompeii (which I hadn't heard before the gig but it blew me away), Back From Somewhere, Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill and My Regrets (another gem from Hot Wax).

Hope Bob hauls his ass over here (Ireland) too.

Also, this is a long shot but it's been bugging me for years, I think I read somewhere that Grant Hart and BF fell out years ago over something as obscene as a yogurt? Basically someone ate the other's yogurt, much to the innocent party's chagrin. Did that happen or did I dream it? I know that Hart dislikes all the attention Pixies receive in comparison to the Du but I always found this alleged yogurt incident highly amusing.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  23:42:06  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://postimage.org/image/4f46muqs/ (spin magazine)

If someone dared to eat my yoghurt why I'd...

Edited by - fbc on 04/10/2011 10:20:08
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  03:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha knew I'd seen it before. Explains Hart's reaction to some boisterous fans asking for Pixies songs at a gig some years ago. "Hi I'm Frank Black. I'm an asshole."

Edited by - The Maharal on 04/10/2011 03:15:03
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  10:17:07  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always thought there was a 'H' in yoghurt, but now my spelling looks weird compared to yours.
Just had a look and it can be spelled with or without, even with "hou".

I like Muller's Amore.

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  00:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think in recent years there has been a concerted campaign to drop the 'h' in yoghurt. These are shadowy nameless forces who will stop at nothing. We have to resist. Wake up people before it is gone for ever.

Easy Easy Easy!! MicknPhil Marathon Lads Sign this petition
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  01:17:06  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bastards. Without "h" there is no "hope". Üsker Dü
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  05:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I'm Frank Black, I'm an Assole" - Grant art

haha

i vaguely remember that from back in the day. i think there was a similar blurb in the NME or Melody Maker.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  10:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mould is touring Copper Blue this summer. He's playing in Ireland in a week or so and I'd love to go but it's at some otherwise unappealing festival at the other end of the country. Can't convince anyone to head with me either. :/
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  05:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sugar was the loudest (and one of the awesomest) shows i ever went to. definitely a treat. saw bob mould a few years back and he played husker du, sugar, and solo songs from before and after sugar, pretty darn good!

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  05:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Mould is touring Copper Blue this summer. He's playing in Ireland in a week or so and I'd love to go but it's at some otherwise unappealing festival at the other end of the country. Can't convince anyone to head with me either. :/

So I went in the end and it was definitely worth the 21 hour round trip. The Sugar album was mighty but it was the five Husker songs in the end that made it for me. I went nuts to Could You Be The One.

Managed to get a setlist at the end too. One of the happiest hours of my life.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2012 :  20:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nice. scan and post a pic. would love to see what non copper-blue songs he played. man, i hope h ebrings this to the west coast of NA...

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  10:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No scanner but I'll write down what he played in a bit. His new album is streaming here. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/album-premiere-bob-mould-silver-age-20120827

He played three Silver Age songs in between the Sugar and Husker stuff at the concert and they weren't out of place. Great rockers.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  18:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hart's touring Ireland this week. Probably gonna see him in Dublin on Friday - he'll be backed by a full band so it should be great.

Anyway, great interview with the man here http://thumped.com/interviews/grant-hart-all-of-my-old-friends-are-assholes.html

I often struggle to decide whether I think he's an asshole or an alright guy. Same with Mould actually.. Good thing their music is so good.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  20:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the replacements can get back together to record a covers EP; there's hope for us husker fans. maybe grant and bob can bury the hatchet and cover johnny cash's folsom prison blues, neil diamond's cracklin' rosie, and nana mouskouri's nickels and dimes......i'd pay for that...

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  12:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Grant Hart gig was good but.. short. Very short. An hour maybe.

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  17:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone uploaded it to Dime http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=432252

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  14:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP Grant Hart. Died too young.

Wonderful singer and I'm sad his music and art is almost relegated to "side man" status.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  01:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting round to listening to Grant Hart.

Now what's this about Frank Black eating his yogurt?!
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  02:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I see the link above is no more but it was roughly Grant went into the wrong trailer or something and ate Frank's yogurt. Frank, despite his obvious love for Green Eyes and Husker Du, wasn't very forgiving. Would partly explain all the venom in Hart's comments about Pixies' reunion.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  02:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are your thoughts on his music?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  11:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've heard so far, great. Really like You're the Reflection of the Moon on the Water from Hot Wax. What's his best album in your opinion?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  12:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah that's a belter of a track. I really like Hot Wax but Good News For Modern Man might pip it. And The Argument, whilst very long, is brilliant as well and reminds me a lot of David Bowie. I don't have a definite favourite really - much like our own Black Francis the quality varies album to album but you're always guaranteed a few gems.

Were you a Husker Du fan?
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  17:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Husker Du were the best rock band ever. I only challenge this statement every time I watch the Pixies live at Brixton.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  04:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah like Husker Du, maybe not as much as two reelers! Zen Arcade is a classic and I've been more familiar with the Bob Mould solo stuff compared to Grant Hart.

Are there Husker Du fans who think Candy Apple Grey (or Warehouse: Songs and Stories) is their finest? (Like Pixies and Trompe/Bossanova)
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  08:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Candy Apple Grey is decent (all of Grant's songs are very, very good) but it's let down by a few so-so songs. I adore Warehouse and would probably have it as my favourite Du album; it's just chock full of great songs. Bob in particular was on amazing form: These Important Years, Could You Be The One, Bed of Nails, Up In The Air, No Reservations, Standing in the Rain and Turn It Around are all brilliant. Up In The Air, Could You Be The One and Turn It Around are just slices of pop gold. A few years ago I'd have had CYBTO as my favourite Du track - the first time I heard Bob perform it it gave me gooseumps. Ice Cold Ice and Visionary are also fun. Grant had a few misfires but She Floated Away and Back From Somewhere are amongst his best. And then the final song You Can Live At Home is the best finish to an album (and band) I can think of. Cathartic.

But yeah the criticism usually aimed at Warehouse is its production - a bit tinny, some strange effects, etc. - but I don't mind that much. The songs are just too good.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  15:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imo, warehouse simply has too many songs. All or many are really good, but none of them has this singular edginess or outstanding craziness. I like candy apple grey and new day rising most. The best combination between really good songwriting and the speed-induced madness and intensity of the early years.
I also just bought the recent boxset of their early years, and wow! The early songs stand the test of time! In a free land, Everything falls apart, Diane - these are among their best songs as well.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Edited by - two reelers on 02/05/2018 07:00:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000