Page: of 2

ofabsis
= Cult of Ray =

France
268 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  12:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Reissue news

Demon Records is proud to present a new series of vinyl reissues from American singer-songwriter Black Francis / Frank Black.

The first release in this new series is ‘Christmass’, a collection of acoustic performances from Frank Black’s 2006 US solo tour. Recorded both live on stage and in hotel rooms whilst on the road, the album includes tracks from across Black’s career.

Highlights include stripped-back renditions of Pixies’ classics ‘Where Is My Mind?’, ‘Cactus’ and ‘Wave Of Mutilation’ along with
‘I Burn Today’, ‘Bullet’ and ‘Nadine’ from Black’s solo albums. This new definitive vinyl edition is pressed on two 140g ‘cactus’ green vinyl.

https://townsendmusic.store/cart/product.php?id=72466

Fab.

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  14:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very very nice news!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2020 :  11:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that album

Wish it was on Apple Music
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2020 :  19:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Psyched
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  05:32:04  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Cult of Ray and Oddballs are next apparently:

https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue/releases/oddballs-140g-silver-vinyl/ - 12/02/2021
https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue/releases/the-cult-of-ray-140g-blue-vinyl/ - 12/02/2021

I already have the 2013 reissue of Oddballs, but a vinyl CoR is just awesome news.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  06:17:04  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and from a FB source:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159074926628559&set=p.10159074926628559&type=3

lists more -
5/14/21 - Frank Black Francis
7/2/21 - Honeycomb
8/27/21 - Bluefinger
8/27/21 - Live at the Hotel Utah Saloon
10/8/21 - Svn Fngrs
10/8/21 - Live in Nimegen
11/27/21 - NonStopErotik
11/27/21 - Paley & Francis

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  07:53:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What?? No, I want the FB&TC albums!!

Denis
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  08:24:00  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Live at the Hotel Utah Saloon? Was that a solo or full band show? Seems to have completely passed me by whatever it is...

Anyway, seems strange to have some 'actual' FBF news. Almost makes it feel like the good old days..!
Go to Top of Page

madtempest
- FB Fan -

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  10:13:02  Show Profile  Visit madtempest's Homepage  Click to see madtempest's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sadly, no Catholics stuff just yet, but the future is bright...
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  10:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ricj

Live at the Hotel Utah Saloon? Was that a solo or full band show? Seems to have completely passed me by whatever it is...

Anyway, seems strange to have some 'actual' FBF news. Almost makes it feel like the good old days..!

https://www.discogs.com/Black-Francis-Live-At-The-Hotel-Utah-Saloon/release/2412302

Asked the same question myself and quick Google search came up with this. Vaguely remember there was the USB show thing from blackfrancis.net back in the day but totally forgot about it.

Looking at tracklist is this the same show where the live tracks from Christmass are from?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  11:36:44  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Christmass live tracks were taken from several 2006 concerts.

Track CD-1: Lead acoustic guitar recorded at Hotel Santa Cruz, CA. Bass recorded at Planet of Sound, Hartford, CT.
Track CD-2: Brooklyn, NY, Southpaw, Early Show. August 19th 2006.
Tracks CD-3 to CD-5, CD-7 to CD-9, CD-13, CD-16: Bellingham WA, The Night Light Lounge. September 10th, 2006.
Tracks CD-6 & CD-10: Recorded at the Valley River Inn, Eugene, OR. Instruments recorded at Planet of Sound, Hartford, CT.
Tracks CD-11 & CD-12: Brooklyn, NY, Southpaw, Late Show, August 19th 2006.
Track CD-14: Recorded at the Valley Inn in Eugene OR. Backing vocals recorded at Planet of Sound, Hartfort, CT.
Tracks CD-17 & CD-18: Chicago, IL, Auditorium Theatre. August 25th, 2006.
Track CD-19: Los Angeles, CA, Pantages Theatre, August 29th, 2006.
Track CD-20: Olympia, WA and Bellingham, WA.

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Black-Christmass/release/938332

The Hotel Utah Saloon is a solo acoustic gig with lots of banter. The tracklist is great (Space Is Gonna Do Me Good!) but if I remember well it's from those days when he'd do weird versions of his songs (you know, the sloppy Cactus version). I haven't listened to it in a while, will give it another go.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  12:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

The Christmass live tracks were taken from several 2006 concerts.

Track CD-1: Lead acoustic guitar recorded at Hotel Santa Cruz, CA. Bass recorded at Planet of Sound, Hartford, CT.
Track CD-2: Brooklyn, NY, Southpaw, Early Show. August 19th 2006.
Tracks CD-3 to CD-5, CD-7 to CD-9, CD-13, CD-16: Bellingham WA, The Night Light Lounge. September 10th, 2006.
Tracks CD-6 & CD-10: Recorded at the Valley River Inn, Eugene, OR. Instruments recorded at Planet of Sound, Hartford, CT.
Tracks CD-11 & CD-12: Brooklyn, NY, Southpaw, Late Show, August 19th 2006.
Track CD-14: Recorded at the Valley Inn in Eugene OR. Backing vocals recorded at Planet of Sound, Hartfort, CT.
Tracks CD-17 & CD-18: Chicago, IL, Auditorium Theatre. August 25th, 2006.
Track CD-19: Los Angeles, CA, Pantages Theatre, August 29th, 2006.
Track CD-20: Olympia, WA and Bellingham, WA.

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Black-Christmass/release/938332

The Hotel Utah Saloon is a solo acoustic gig with lots of banter. The tracklist is great (Space Is Gonna Do Me Good!) but if I remember well it's from those days when he'd do weird versions of his songs (you know, the sloppy Cactus version). I haven't listened to it in a while, will give it another go.

Denis

Merci beaucoup! I remember a few shows around that time with great banter, eg 6 million dollar man! Great that these are getting a release.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  03:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Utah set list is great
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  23:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard the Utah one, any sign these'll be getting a digital release?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  02:29:42  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just noticed something, since an ad for the reissues was just posted on the Pixies FB page:

“Christmass is a collection of songs recorded in hotel rooms, nightclubs, and even a few actual recording studios. Some are standard live repertoire and some are new songs never to be revisited again, well, until now, sort of, so see what you think as needles drop.”

Should we understand "revisited" as "reissued on this vinyl edition", or as "ah, screw Pixies, I'm doing a solo acoustic tour in 2021"?

Ah well, it's nice to dream a little...

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  05:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just noticed something, since an ad for the reissues was just posted on the Pixies FB page:

“Christmass is a collection of songs recorded in hotel rooms, nightclubs, and even a few actual recording studios. Some are standard live repertoire and some are new songs never to be revisited again, well, until now, sort of, so see what you think as needles drop.”

Should we understand "revisited" as "reissued on this vinyl edition", or as "ah, screw Pixies, I'm doing a solo acoustic tour in 2021"?

Ah well, it's nice to dream a little...

Denis

I vote for your dream! That would be awesome. Second to a solo FB tour would be seeing him do the unthinkable, which is have the 2.0s play FB stuff when they tour again. Either one would be terrific. Thirdly would be seeing him play some solo FB stuff from his couch on vimeo or something.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  07:27:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just saw the ads for this today on Facebook - woohoo! About time!!! Can’t tell you how excited I am about these, particularly Honeycomb, FMRM, Svn, and Bluefinger.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  07:28:11  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
List posted above doesn’t include FMRM but it’s on this list, although this article does mistakenly state that Christmass was only previously available on CD... I have the original pressing on black vinyl.
https://music.mxdwn.com/2020/11/30/news/frank-black-announces-12-album-series-of-solo-album-vinyl-reissues/amp/

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 12/02/2020 07:31:30
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  13:14:28  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

List posted above doesn’t include FMRM but it’s on this list, although this article does mistakenly state that Christmass was only previously available on CD... I have the original pressing on black vinyl.
https://music.mxdwn.com/2020/11/30/news/frank-black-announces-12-album-series-of-solo-album-vinyl-reissues/amp/

The first vinyl edition was already a reissue if I remember well. The original release was CD only.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  13:16:24  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I vote for your dream! That would be awesome. Second to a solo FB tour would be seeing him do the unthinkable, which is have the 2.0s play FB stuff when they tour again. Either one would be terrific.

Nah, just him with Joey & EDF. Playing Cinema Star.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  14:39:45  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The first vinyl edition was already a reissue if I remember well. The original release was CD only.

Denis

Right, but it was released on vinyl before, whereas that article said it was previously only available on CD

Go to Top of Page

ofabsis
= Cult of Ray =

France
268 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2021 :  11:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Denis. Comme toujours.#128522;
Oddballs will be released next month
Amazon
Oddballs/Vinyle Argent https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08NWTVPKL/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_i_37CeGbKFJ79WT

quote:

The Cult of Ray and Oddballs are next apparently:

https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue/releases/oddballs-140g-silver-vinyl/ - 12/02/2021
https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue/releases/the-cult-of-ray-140g-blue-vinyl/ - 12/02/2021

I already have the 2013 reissue of Oddballs, but a vinyl CoR is just awesome news.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  11:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.loudersound.com/news/pixies-leader-black-francis-sets-out-vinyl-reissue-series

Nice to read him acknowledging his solo work.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  12:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so now it's:

Feb 12: Frank Black - The Cult Of Ray (Blue Vinyl)
Feb 12: Frank Black - Oddballs (Silver Vinyl)

Apr 16: Frank Black - Francis Black Francis (White Vinyl)
Apr 16: Frank Black - Honeycomb (Translucent Honey Vinyl)
Apr 16: Frank Black- Fast Man Raider Man (Translucent Vinyl)

Jul 02: Black Francis- Bluefinger (Red Vinyl)
Jul 02: Black Francis - Live at the Hotel Utah Saloon (Blue Vinyl)

Sep 03: Black Francis - Svn Fngrs (White Vinyl)
Sep 03: Black Francis - Live in Nijmegen (Clear Vinyl)

Nov 27: Black Francis - NonStopErotik ( Silver Vinyl)
Nov 27: Black Francis - The Golem (White Vinyl)
Nov 27: Paley & Francis - Paley & Francis (Clear Vinyl)

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  14:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posting so I can say I was here in 2021
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  10:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! I wonder if they've been remastered specifically for the format, or if they're basically the CD but pressed onto vinyl?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  04:55:25  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Nice! I wonder if they've been remastered specifically for the format, or if they're basically the CD but pressed onto vinyl?

Not sure but if it’s the same process and folks used for the RSD FB and TOTY, I can tell you those 2 releases don’t stack up to the first pressings. They’re thinner on the low end and have more sibilance. They don’t sound bad, but they could sound better. I don’t know what process they used though.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  09:14:01  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Posting so I can say I was here in 2021

Hey darwin!

Denis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7436 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  09:15:39  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not sure but if it’s the same process and folks used for the RSD FB and TOTY, I can tell you those 2 releases don’t stack up to the first pressings. They’re thinner on the low end and have more sibilance. They don’t sound bad, but they could sound better. I don’t know what process they used though.

True. I'm not an audiophile at all but I was really disappointed with my FB RSD vinyl.

Anyway has anyone bought the vinyl Christmass reissue? How is it?

Denis
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  09:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those RSD vinyl sound so bad. I'm so disappointed by them.

Christmass sounded great as far as I'm concerned. A few pops here and there, nothing unusual for new vinyl though. Probably just some static.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  13:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checked in after reading about Dave Philips (RIP).

My blue Cult of Ray arrived only a couple of days ago, really like the presentation... even the cheapo artwork looks good with the vivid blue vinyl, feels nice and weighty, though I'm no audiophile... so it sounded good to me.

http://www.hi-toro.com/images/fb.jpg

Finally played the weird 2 x green Christmass today after holding onto it for a few weeks, that was good too.

--
DruggedBunnyToo
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  11:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought my RSF reissues sounded great, which makes me wonder what I was hearing incorrectly. My copies of Oddballs and Cult have been delayed until April.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  11:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodney

My copies of Oddballs and Cult have been delayed until April.

mine seem to be delayed as well. record shop doesn't have them yet. nobody mentioned april, so i hope they'll arrive sooner than that.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  03:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

Feb 12: Frank Black - The Cult Of Ray (Blue Vinyl)
Feb 12: Frank Black - Oddballs (Silver Vinyl)

they're here! :)

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  09:28:05  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Per FB:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=142056614588819&set=a.132372878890526

"Abbabubba, available on vinyl for the first time at @RSDUK on the 12th June. Pressed on stunning 180g heavyweight Black & White split Vinyl, and issued for the first time. A collection of remixes, reworkings and B-sides from legendary Pixies’ frontman Black Francis

Available from a participating indie record shop near you

#RSDDrops / #RSD21"

--------
baby poop, curry
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2021 :  07:30:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Folks, it’s a glorious day: Honeycomb and FMRM just showed up at my house, pressed on lovely vinyl. And they sound spectacular. Well, HC does anyway. I haven’t gotten to FMRM yet. I knew it at the time but in hindsight as the years continue to unfold, these 3 slabs of vinyl amount to an absolute masterpiece by the man. It was the culmination of several years of musical evolution before he hit the reset button and went down another path. I love love love these albums.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000