Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  09:21:34  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Except the one time he was always super nice. And he wasn’t mean or anything the last time, he was just a little weird. Still chatted though about the solo tour and the preceding Pixies tour. I wouldn’t be intimidated if I were you. He was smiling, chatty, and was happy to sign an LP or CD for anyone that had one.. even had a sharpie on him for it one time. This was in ‘02 and ‘13 though - I wasn’t standing in a crush of fans outside a door, we were just on the floor in the club. And a younger Charles in ‘96 might also have had a different perspective than later. Who knows.

I think I only have like 6 or 7 total autographs in my entire collection of like 1000 CDs and 1500-1600 records. And one of them is the 5 disc Golem that came signed anyway. The only time I struck out actually trying/hoping to get one was the last time with BF. It’s not something I do often…

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/19/2022 09:23:33
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  15:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I have the signed Golem thing too. Something I've never understood is someone paying for an autographed item, like on ebay or a band's website. To me an autograph is mainly special if it's signed TO YOU and in person, a document of a memory of an encounter of meeting one of your art heroes.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  15:46:02  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Yeah I have the signed Golem thing too. Something I've never understood is someone paying for an autographed item, like on ebay or a band's website. To me an autograph is mainly special if it's signed TO YOU and in person, a document of a memory of an encounter of meeting one of your art heroes.

Definitely meets the criteria for "superuncool." Proud to say I've never even considered that.

The 5-Disc Golem set, on the other hand, is rad as fuck.

As a side note to the Golem 5 disc set, I had an interesting experience with that one. I pre-ordered it, as uber fans do, but on the day it showed it, it weirdly showed up as twins. I had two packages on my doorstep. Long story short, they accidentally sent me 2 copies for the 1 I actually paid for.

Being an ethical guy, I immediately emailed the company (I think it was black francis' dedicated website, if I recall...) and told them their mistake and asked how to ship it back because I didn't want to deprive someone of the opportunity to own that 500 copy release if they wanted it. They emailed back, thanking me for letting me know, but told me to just keep it, free of charge. I still have it, still in the shrinkwrap.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/19/2022 15:54:32
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2022 :  16:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amazon once sent me two copies of The Wire complete series on DVD! I don't remember what I did with the extra one.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2022 :  00:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Herman Brood
Freddy Fender
John Denver
Iggy Pop
John Candy
The Three Stooges
Mose Allison
Alec Eiffel
Jack Nance
Peter Ivers
Ray Bradbury
Jonathan Richman
Robert Zubrin
William Mullholland
johnnyribcage

Honestly I think it's an honor.

+ Dr Doolittle, Jack Palance and Daniel Boone :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2022 :  03:22:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We forgot Desmond Dekker, twice. At least.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2022 :  08:42:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I almost put Jack Palance but I didn't consider the song to be ABOUT Jack Palance. Same reason I didn't put Daniel Boone.

If that makes sense...
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2022 :  11:56:10  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Named but not famous people or less famous:
Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie
I guess there are a lot of these.

Did he not say who Dead Man's Curve was about?

Edited by - hammerhands on 06/22/2022 12:19:18
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2022 :  12:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which one is about Beef?

quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2022 :  13:15:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

Which one is about Beef?

quote:

Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie

85 weeks

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2022 :  13:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On one of the live albums, Frank intros "Dead Man's Curve" as a "song about Freddy Fender".
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2022 :  14:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense. Thank you for that.

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

Which one is about Beef?

quote:

Jacques Tati
Captain Beefheart
Kim Deal

Bailey's Walk
Ed is Dead
Speedy Marie

85 weeks

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2022 :  03:06:27  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are Nance and Ivers in one song or two?

I would have mentioned Hank Williams, Johnny Horton, Billy Jean in Everything is New.,
but you wouldn't list everyone in Half Man.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2022 :  06:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this, Mr. Ribs! It would have made a lovely crackpot theory on the podcast and it is quite enjoyable to really dive into the lyrics with any theory and stop for a moment and think "What did he mean by that?" and I can definitely picture myself in the same situation as you, wondering if it was me... especially since I still think FB/FB/CMKT3 is just an all around amazing human and someone I would never want to piss off, so I'd be extra paranoid.

You don't look like a bug but you spin a good theory!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2022 :  08:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are Nance and Ivers in one song or two?

One, I Gotta Move.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2022 :  17:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that Johnny or anyone asked for my take on the tune, but I’ll summarize it here:

Bagboy is Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus Christ, and the song is a peek inside his thoughts.

“I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings” The only record of Jesus Christ writing is the public writing he does in the famed story of “the woman taken in adultery,” the one where we get the sentiment, “let him without sin cast the first stone.”

The reason why this event of Jesus is relevant to Judas is because later in the gospels another woman of ill repute breaks an alabaster box of perfume on Jesus' feet. Judas complains that the perfume could have been sold and given to the poor instead. But the narrator says, “this he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the BAG, and bare what was put therein.”

The song contains many allusions to the accounts of this event through imaginings of what might have been going through Judas’ mind as he was plotting his betrayal of Christ, having “no satisfaction” by Jesus’ “recent sightings” among the public, feeling “so disappointed” that he had begun following Jesus (which probably began with “small talk” as in the case of other disciples) thinking that there was going to be great gain in doing so, and now feeling “crapped on” and smelly.

Jesus’ teachings, which Judas was there to hear, began to turn him off, and included references to the washing of others’ feet (“feet slapping”) and the significance of even “small birds,” and communicated that following Jesus was not a path to riches in this life. The “buzz” that Jesus had generated among many people had turned in Judas’ estimation to be a “crock.”

Judas states that the woman who anointed Jesus with the perfume “had some beauty” (as someone in her line of her work might be expected to have) and “manners” (humility obviously) but “you look like a bug,” which refers to Psalm 22 which predicts that the Messiah will be “a worm,” which referred to an insect in that part of the Middle East. The woman “planned” and traveled (“migration”) to come to Jesus to give him the perfume, and Judas accuses him of being “smug,” probably for accepting it.

Jesus certainly was known for “proselytizing alone.” “Regurgitating the tone” could refer to repeating his teachings, and Jesus was controversial because he touched lepers and dead people, and even healed someone with his spit (“dead things that you licked”). Judas’ “feedback” to Jesus can’t be stopped, so the betrayal happens.

And the chanting? Perhaps Judas psyching himself up to complete his plan. Perhaps a demonic chorus influencing his mind, as the book of John says that Satan entered into Judas right before the betrayal. Jesus cast out many demons, but this satanic suggestion to betray Jesus could not be exorcized / “evicted.”

The Bible that so many FBF songs refer to literally says Judas “had the bag.” He was the bag boy. This song is a non-linear imagination of Judas’ thoughts and the events surrounding his betrayal of Christ, presented in a style, say, similar to the way David Lynch gives us events in his films.

Anyway, if you read all that, thank you.

Now some of you might be asking: Is it significant that Judas Iscariot is the subject of the first song released by the Pixies immediately after Kim Deal left the band? I have no idea.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2022 :  03:50:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That was amazing

Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2022 :  06:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my take on the song. I think the most likely subject of BF's frustration is a journalist...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings
I get no satisfaction from your very recent sightings

BF doesn't like what he's read from this journalist. By describing their work as that of a hobbiest he's implying that their work is that of an amateur and not very professional. BF has seen this journalist (or their work) on multiple occasions and isn't pleased about it.

Like when I hear the sound of feet slapping on the runway
Like a small bird pretty while it’s crapping on the new day

This journalist is ruining BF’s day. BF is likening them to bird taking flight and crapping on him from upon high. A small pretty bird may seem innocent to most but to BF, who has just been crapped on, it’s irritating.

So disappointed I was that I had made small talk with you
(Cover your breath, cover your teeth)
I'm not feeling your buzz I only smell your crock of stew

BF reluctantly spoke to this journalist. Rather than discussing worthwhile subject matters the journalist was instead more interested in “small talk”. The journalist’s “buzz” suggests some enthusiasm on their part but BF either thinks their enthusiasm is put on or BF is simply not interested in reciprocating. The references to bad breath are a metaphor for someone who is talking shit. What they are saying is toxic to BF. The “crock of stew” is the wretched shit soup swirling inside their mouth. “Cover your breath, cover your teeth” is BF’s way of saying that he wishes this journalist would stop subjecting him to all the shit that they are talking.

Bagboy
Bagboy
Bagboy
Bagboy
Bagboy (bagboy)
Bagboy (bagboy)
Bagboy (bagboy)
Bagboy (bagboy)

BF is using this term as an insult. He’s describing them as someone with a very small, unimportant role in his music career. The goods (the music) are BF’s.

She had some beauty and manners but you look like a bug
Migrations of their type are such good planners and not smug

This is the most difficult to decipher verse. In the first line I think BF is maybe unfavourably comparing the irritating journalist with another whom he holds in higher regard. I’m not too sure about the second line.

You are proselytizing alone, listening to the voice with your ears
You have regurgitated a tone now sat in your tract for many years
Picked up from dead things that you licked
It's a feedback loop you can't evict

The journalist is shaping their work to their own twisted design. The songs or answers they are listening to are being heard but not truly understood. They’re listening with their ears but not their brains. Once again the journalist is “regurgitating” the same old shit. This shit is informed by toxic stuff they’ve taken in over the years and now they’re stuck in a never ending cycle of garbage.

Edited by - jake3 on 06/25/2022 11:42:03
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2022 :  08:37:37  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3
BF is using this term as an insult. He’s describing them as someone with a very small, unimportant role in his music career. The goods (the music) are BF’s. I don’t live in a country where a bag boy is an occupation for someone but I’m guessing they would make “small talk” and put on a (often fake) friendly demeanour.

Nope. Bagboys are pretty miserable and just put your shit in a grocery bag and look like they want to blow up the supermarket. I've literally never encountered a friendly or conversational one. Sullen teenagers.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2022 :  11:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jake3
BF is using this term as an insult. He’s describing them as someone with a very small, unimportant role in his music career. The goods (the music) are BF’s. I don’t live in a country where a bag boy is an occupation for someone but I’m guessing they would make “small talk” and put on a (often fake) friendly demeanour.

Nope. Bagboys are pretty miserable and just put your shit in a grocery bag and look like they want to blow up the supermarket. I've literally never encountered a friendly or conversational one. Sullen teenagers.

Understandable. Will edit accordingly!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2022 :  12:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know what though? I live in NYC. It is possible in the midwest or something, there are some cheery bagboys. I did notice in a recent road trip that people do act more friendly in certain places.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2022 :  12:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know what though? I live in NYC. It is possible in the midwest or something, there are some cheery bagboys. I did notice in a recent road trip that people do act more friendly in certain places.

I was gonna say this, Midwest and south Bagboys might make small talk.
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2022 :  16:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a really interesting read and thoroughly entertaining, both the original post and everyone's replies (especially Bedbug's interpretation, above!). A fun bit of speculative lore. As for the discussion about autographs: I complimented Charles once on Twitter -- I remarked on an exciting sequence of Pixies songs played at a recent show. He retweeted my compliment.

I was so glad that he had seen some positive feedback and it made him smile. I wonder sometimes whether the band members read much feedback from fans, especially from serious fans like those of us who post here. I hope they do. Apparently Charles used to post here? So maybe he still reads our ramblings? For me this was better than an autograph, because instead of asking Frank for something, I could give him a small token of my appreciation, after all of the hours of music he has given me.

Edited by - tamefan on 06/26/2022 16:20:57
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2022 :  11:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He set up his own questions and answers thread and he'd show up now and again. I am sad that some of the pages got purged during a forum crash - including some of the questions I'd asked him! Violet used to post now and again, as did Jon Tiven!

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3015

Incidentally a few weeks ago I came across another fun thread where someone apologised for gate-crashing a BF afterparty and apparently being rude to the man himself (who actually responded in the thread).
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2022 :  15:48:37  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bedbug - great interpretation! I’ll chose to go with that going forward.

Yeah tame, I haven’t seen the man around here since Indie Cindy. But I go on long hiatuses with the forum. Maybe he’s was on a few times after that.

Once in a while, usually around a new release, I’ll hop on and unload, but I can only forum it up so much on a single topic, so I go back to the ‘cage for a year or so to recharge.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/28/2022 15:49:52
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2022 :  17:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope he read our gushing praise for BTE. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000