Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2022 :  01:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.dekmag.com/new-products/dek04

35 page feature, it's a lovely mag but crazy expensive. The Cure WMS feature they did was a good read.

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2022 :  23:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the heads-up.
i've got the first issue, with a feature about david bowie's photoshoot for outside. good stuff.

unfortunately, shipping to the EU will result in taxes and fees, and will probably triple the (already quite high) price. not sure if it's worth it. :-/

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2022 :  10:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snaffled a copy here https://www.mmslondon.co.uk/shop/p/dek?rq=dek

12 quid with free postage :)
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2022 :  06:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turned up this week, well worth hunting down. 's pretty much a long form Gil Norton Trompe interview with the band chipping in here and there (no Kim).

Lots of interesting nuggets, about the sessions and recording, some thoughts on why some songs don't get played - there's some detail about every Trompe song at some point. And a bit of puff about the Brixton box set.
Loads of gorgeous Larbelestier imagery too.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2022 :  06:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the report stuczuba. I may pick up a copy. Trompe #1
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2022 :  13:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it shipped via the channel to the continent.

As I'm obsessed (in a healthy way) with TLM, I had to have it. And I'm not disappointed, it has a lot of interesting new information. Mostly, it rectifies my assumption that the band was totally disjointed during the recording, which I could not never reconcile with the greatness of that record. It seems they were still working very well together.
Surprisingly, there is almost zero discussion on the heavy, metal sound of TLM. Frank played bass on Bird Dream, I did not know that before.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2022 :  17:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dying to read this thing.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  03:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kicking myself I didn't get one. At the time I thought £12 was bit pricy for a magazine. It's sold out now
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  03:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is also somewhat surprising to me that Letter to Memphis is the only song from the record which Frank is no longer really fond of. I consider it to be the high point on the album in term sof composition and delivery.
Nice insights from EDF in the article as well.

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  06:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please scan the article?
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  10:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Kicking myself I didn't get one. At the time I thought £12 was bit pricy for a magazine. It's sold out now

seems to be still available here: https://www.dekmag.com/new-products/dek04

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2022 :  14:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah magic spot Discoking, I just picked one up :)
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  12:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Leonard Cohen cover "I can't forget" was recorded during the TLM sessions, and EDF has contributed to this cover as well.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  17:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it talk about the B-sides / demos from TLM at all?

The Planet of Sound b-sides are Theme From Narc, Build High, and Evil Hearted You. Build High is really old, right? None of them sound to me like they would have been recorded during the TLM sessions, but I could be wrong.

Were there others?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  23:02:38  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Does it talk about the B-sides / demos from TLM at all?

The Planet of Sound b-sides are Theme From Narc, Build High, and Evil Hearted You. Build High is really old, right? None of them sound to me like they would have been recorded during the TLM sessions, but I could be wrong.

Were there others?

The intrumental version of Letter To Memphis and some live tracks. I don't have the single at hand to see the recording info, but yes, Build High was an original Pixies tune, from 1986.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2022 :  08:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't think the magazine talks about any of the b-sides/demos.
i do remember a very short mention of "i can't forget".

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2022 :  14:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thenme from Narc was recorded cos they spent so much downtime playing the arcade game. It was fucking awesome, can't blame them.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2022 :  14:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read it today. Will try and scan it when I get a chance. A few nuggets that were news to me were

EFF quote "I met Charles at the sound heck and he seemed like a nice guy. I had no idea he was in the Pixies. He was such an affable young man and since we got similar accents we talked about Los Angeles and Doritos. Anyway I saw them playing and was very surprised he was the guy I was talking to earlier"

"Thompson had to be restrained, said Norton. I remember on one occasion been sent out to Switzerland by Ivo Watts Russell who was worried that Thomson was about to disrupt a tour by disappearing into the studio for days as he was so creative and wanted to record". But sadly no mention of any leftover tracks or demos.

Thompson points out that they still play 7 songs from it live? (I can only think of Planet, Head On, U-MASS, Roswell, Subbacultcha)

I did not know Jefrey with one F was EDF's brother!

U-Mass had origins from the early days

Jim and William Reid pitched up to the post mixing party in Gil's London Flat (if it had been me I would have you said you should have recorded Coast to Coast).
Go to Top of Page

Jamie
- FB Fan -

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2022 :  23:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thompson points out that they still play 7 songs from it live? (I can only think of Planet, Head On, U-MASS, Roswell, Subbacultcha)

They played The Sad Punk and D=RxT when I saw them in KC in 2014. And I'm pretty sure they've played Alec Eiffel at least a few times post-reunion.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2022 :  05:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

quote:

They played The Sad Punk and D=RxT when I saw them in KC in 2014. And I'm pretty sure they've played Alec Eiffel at least a few times post-reunion.

Yes - Alec Eiffel was played in quite a few 2005 shows.

D=RxT didn't get an airing until the 2013/14 tours! Sounded brilliant with Charles playing his SG.

If I remember correctly, Motorway to Roswell wssn't played until then either (although Charles did feature it during the US solo tours of 2008/09 with his band, and playing solo also).
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2022 :  07:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Point is that Trompe Le Monde is a perfect record and the songs should be in heavy rotation
We got the B-sides from Doolittle a whole tour long.

I would take Lovely Day, Navajo Know and Space (I Believe In) and the title track over any of those tossed of Doolittle tracks

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2022 :  11:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could it be that some songs on Trompe are so perfect that they cannot be played live in a way that would do them justice?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2022 :  14:49:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are hard in some cases, yes

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2022 :  05:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked the set list at the Troxy 2010 which I attended and I see Alex Eiffel and Sad Punk. Must have forgotten them!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2022 :  02:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just checked the set list at the Troxy 2010 which I attended and I see Alex Eiffel and Sad Punk. Must have forgotten them!

That was a good show (although the sound was pretty bad from where I was standing). Cecilia Ann and Rock Music too!
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2022 :  13:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dreadful venue, The Troxy, and they botched Rock Music on the second night but it was still a cracking show.
Should have released it as planned, seeing as we voted for that setlist :)
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2022 :  08:42:38  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love TLM. Just an awesome album. One thing though - and this is probably anathema to some around here - I feel like it could benefit from a remix. The sound of the album is pretty brittle and very treble heavy. I assume that’s what they were going for though. Also, there is so much going on sonically on this one - truly a little planet of sound - that I think a tasteful remix that maintains the integrity and spirit of the original mix while beefing up the low end and creating a little more definition could be awesome. Steve Wilson, although not infallible, is a master at this.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2022 :  09:14:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Remix or would a remaster be sufficient?

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2022 :  16:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree about a remix. It's not mixed well. I still love it, and some stuff like Head On is a great mix, but I think some of the songs could sound a lot better.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2022 :  19:51:56  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Remix or would a remaster be sufficient?

Definitely a remix. And of course, if you remix, obviously you have to remaster after that. So both I guess. If you’re going to bother messing with it, go back and work the mix, then give it the sheen. There is a lot that can be improved, and someone like Steven Wilson could probably create a revelation out of this material.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2022 :  06:54:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a mo-fi soundlab version and I do think that it breathes more
But what do I know?
Never done a blind A/B-test with the original cd

How's the new vinyl?

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2022 :  07:22:51  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I have a mo-fi soundlab version and I do think that it breathes more
But what do I know?
Never done a blind A/B-test with the original cd

How's the new vinyl?

Delayed response incoming: I put my mofi trompe on this morning, and it’s noticeably warmer, fuller, and less harsh than the cd and streaming versions. But it’s still pretty sizzling in places. And that’s running it through a $500 ortofon stylus and a Marantz 2275.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2022 :  19:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also saw Pixies on that 2010 tour and we got Sad Punk, Planet of Sound, Is She Weird, and Alex Eiffel, plus five songs from Bossa: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2010/piazza-castello-ferrara-italy-4bd433ca.html It was a shorter show (30 songs) and they still managed to fit in all of the "hits." I suppose the difficulty with 2.0. shows is fitting in new songs... they come at the cost of Trompe & Bossa songs, unfortunately.

Pixies could sell out a tour where they exclusively play Trompe & Bossa (maybe with a few other hits at the end as crowd pleasers), similar to how they toured Doolittle and also recently Pilgrim & Surfer.

Edited by - tamefan on 05/31/2022 19:54:40
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2022 :  13:01:32  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I also saw Pixies on that 2010 tour and we got Sad Punk, Planet of Sound, Is She Weird, and Alex Eiffel, plus five songs from Bossa: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2010/piazza-castello-ferrara-italy-4bd433ca.html It was a shorter show (30 songs) and they still managed to fit in all of the "hits." I suppose the difficulty with 2.0. shows is fitting in new songs... they come at the cost of Trompe & Bossa songs, unfortunately.

Pixies could sell out a tour where they exclusively play Trompe & Bossa (maybe with a few other hits at the end as crowd pleasers), similar to how they toured Doolittle and also recently Pilgrim & Surfer.

This setlist is almost like a 1991 show

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2022 :  13:45:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

https://www.dekmag.com/new-products/dek04

35 page feature, it's a lovely mag but crazy expensive. The Cure WMS feature they did was a good read.

5 pounds now

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2022 :  15:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still want to read this damn article.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000