The Return of Grand Duchy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1052 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2021 :  21:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Violet Clark posted several Black Francis' related videos recently on facebook and finally admited they got together again. And so is Grand Duchy. There is probably new productions to be expected accordind to her comments.
Good news to me because it may mean that HE might start to work again on some solo things. As far as I am concerned I'm a bit fed up with Pixies. IC was retrospectively their best release from the 21st century.
Ah, yes, and the best thing they did with Paz Lanchantin sonically wise was Women of War AND particularly the BTE Demos.
Yes, long live the DEMOS
#Iwantmyfrankblackback
I said ;)

++++

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2021 :  05:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's nice!
thanks for the heads-up.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2021 :  15:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woh!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2021 :  13:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was not expecting to read that when I clicked on the topic! Very nice but of news.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2021 :  17:16:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm totally up for Grand Duchy 3, been missing a bit of a soloesque Frank Black. Really liking what Pixies are doing, or were doing before the apocalypse but something new and unexpected would be most welcome. Violet has been posting a lot of old Grand Duchy and Christmass stuff on facebook but I must have missed the bit where she said Grand Duchy was returning? She also posted some Youtube clips of one or two of the offprings making music, can't remember which ones might be of the Thompson genus though but my overall thoughts were.. hmmm
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2021 :  05:33:38  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’m with you pot. Bring on the Grand Duchy, yes. However... I’d love some solo FBF. I’m genuinely surprised that he hasn’t been pumping out quarantine recordings, but It’s a different time though and a weird thing (the last year) and everyone is handling it their own ways, as they should. I’ve been working on tons of stuff myself but most of it exists in sketch form on iPhone “remember this one” videos even with all this time on my hands.

I would have bet money though that we would have a quarantine FBF batch of stuff by now. But I would have bet money on myself having more in the can by now than I do as well. I got in trouble the last time I publicly questioned the man and his activities...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/18/2021 06:19:46
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2021 :  06:20:41  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe he's writing songs and then thinking "that's rather good actually, maybe I'll save it for the next Pixies record"?

Maybe he doesn't have a studio, or decent enough recording facilities where he lives?

I don't know what the situation with lockdown is where he currently resides though, I think a lot of US states have gone back to normal.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2021 :  08:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

I’m with you pot. Bring on the Grand Duchy, yes. However... I’d love some solo FBF. I’m genuinely surprised that he hasn’t been pumping out quarantine recordings, but It’s a different time though and a weird thing (the last year) and everyone is handling it their own ways, as they should. I’ve been working on tons of stuff myself but most of it exists in sketch form on iPhone “remember this one” videos even with all this time on my hands.

I would have bet money though that we would have a quarantine FBF batch of stuff by now. But I would have bet money on myself having more in the can by now than I do as well. I got in trouble the last time I publicly questioned the man and his activities...

Yeah it's a little surprising, but then those New Zealand Pixies demos are in the can already.

Seems to be painting a lot and enjoying life!

Very much looking forward to what comes next though. I listen to BTE (and the second disc) an awful lot. Some career highs on there.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1013 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2021 :  12:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catholics., anybody?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2021 :  13:29:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think he should form a Pixies - Grand Duchy - Catholics supergroup
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2021 :  07:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

Catholics., anybody?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Won't be the same with Dave. But, I'd still like to hear a new Catholics record (and see a tour).

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2021 :  10:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I think he should form a Pixies - Grand Duchy - Catholics supergroup

The Grand Duchy return is great news if true, and pot I agree with your comment here. Many of us dream of a Frank Black Supergroup where everything in his canon is fair game.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2021 :  10:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed Let the people speak.
Sales were very low probably
Same for their YT channel. Well it wasnt the album/videos of the century but the number of subscribers/views does not pay tribute to the creative effort.
https://www.youtube.com/user/grandduchyofficial/videos

Have they ever toured GD material ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 06/16/2021 10:31:23
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2021 :  16:22:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I really enjoyed Let the people speak.
Sales were very low probably
Same for their YT channel. Well it wasnt the album/videos of the century but the number of subscribers/views does not pay tribute to the creative effort.
https://www.youtube.com/user/grandduchyofficial/videos

Have they ever toured GD material ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

I dug that one a lot too, a good bit more than petit fours. Not that it wasn’t good too.

—————-

As for the supergroup - I love the idea but I don’t think it will ever happen. Never say never but it feels like that ship has truly sailed.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/24/2021 06:02:36
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2021 :  08:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and "Where is John Frum" is on "Let the People Speak" ! Probably one of my favourite "recent" BF songs (Pixies included)

BF/VC vocals is the perfect mix. I think she was also on Bluefinger ? (Treshold Apprehension / She took All the Money), those are on my daily playlist. Great stuff. Can't wait for a new GD album.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

auxfnx
- FB Fan -

Ireland
29 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2021 :  06:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been rediscovering how incredible Grand Duchy are over the past year or two, and would love to see more from them! Some of my favourite recent BF material for sure
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2021 :  13:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

Been rediscovering how incredible Grand Duchy are over the past year or two, and would love to see more from them! Some of my favourite recent BF material for sure

I really like Petit Fours, I haven't really connected as much with Let the People Speak but there is always time! Great bass lines. What's your favourites?

Edited by - Stevio10 on 09/13/2021 13:08:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000