R.I.P. Dave Philips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  03:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to Jason Narducy (who played with Dave in Robert Pollard's band), Dave Philips has recently passed away. There's no cause of death listed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLn56t5F_S_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I first met Dave at a Catholics show in Pittsburgh, and he was very kind and patient and couldn't for the life of him remember the name of the new song that we eventually came to know as "Massif Centrale."

We met for a second time at a Pollard show and, again, he was very sweet to an overly enthusiastic fan.

To those who love him, my condolences. I'll be playing some of his work loudly today in his memory.

- Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 02/23/2021 03:50:28

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  05:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really sad news. RIP Dave.

Here's the first Youtube clip I saw of Dave. I loved it and thought, who's this new guitar player that Frank has in the band? Fantastic guitar player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL3gehT24Fk

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  05:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredibly sad. FB&TC were great but become so much better when he joined. RIP, Dave.

-Marcus

Edited by - marcusb on 02/23/2021 05:30:01
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  05:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  06:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing Brian, this is sad. He was still so young!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  07:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich Gilbert posted a tribute to Dave

https://www.facebook.com/LegendaryRichGilbert/posts/10224994749959351

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shocking and very, very sad. Not the kind of news about FB&TC I was hoping for. So young and so gifted. My heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  09:29:54  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is so sad. I've been listening a lot to Catholics gigs lately, I know I always loved Dave's playing. I often wondered what he had done after the Catholics (though he has credits on FMRM & Nonstoperotik).

I remember he did smoke a lot, and Rich mentions a cancer. R.I.P. Dave.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  13:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad news indeed. One of my favourite Catholics. RIP Dave.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was 20 years ago this month I first saw Frank Black and the Catholics on their Dog in the Sand tour.

Dave P was always the coolest with his puff of smoke, cool clothes and power stance.

Cancer is a fucker.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  19:33:21  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's very sad. So young.
I too will be listening to some Catholics records nice and loud in memory.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  02:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad news.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  11:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrible news. I can’t believe the music press isn’t mentioning this at all.
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2021 :  14:02:36  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ah that's awful news, saw him tear the roof off the place at an Irish festival on the DITS tour. condolences to his family and friends.

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  00:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some nice words from FB and Tommy Stinson about Dave.

I didn't know he was in Robert Pollard's band along with Tommy Keene. Going to seek out his non Catholics music.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/dave-philips-dead-frank-black-tommy-stinson-1234915925/
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  04:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey gang. been a few days and i'm still a bit stunned by this. sure wish i got to know Dave better, but i got to see him play a whole lot, with FB & the C's of course, but also with my pal Lisa Marr. i became a fan and admired his steel playing in particular. imagine my delight when we got to record together on Show Me Your Tears. i kept meaning to bug him for some tips on steel playing during those hours, but then Van Dyke Parks showed up and we were all nearly speechless and got to work. Dave was always ready. i loved watching him at the live shows, how he would zero in on Frank's head in the last few bars of a song to anticipate what song was next. he didn't seem to need a set list, and of course for many of those gigs, there was no set list! Dave was a total natural.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  06:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric, good to hear from you again! Stevio, thanks for posting that link. That was a great article and I think I will be pilfering some of that to update Dave's bio in the next few days.

There was a little bit of talk with FB about Dave P and his work with Robert Pollard in episode 20 of the FB.Net Podcast.

On the topic of bios, is anybody interested in a long overdue update to the biographies here? You'd need to have some writing and grammar skills, but as you can see from what's already there, the bar isn't set that high. :)

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  02:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Thanks Eric, good to hear from you again! Stevio, thanks for posting that link. That was a great article and I think I will be pilfering some of that to update Dave's bio in the next few days.

There was a little bit of talk with FB about Dave P and his work with Robert Pollard in episode 20 of the FB.Net Podcast.

On the topic of bios, is anybody interested in a long overdue update to the biographies here? You'd need to have some writing and grammar skills, but as you can see from what's already there, the bar isn't set that high. :)

Happy to help with this.

Sadly I never got to see the Catholics play live. Very moving reading the tributes to Dave. Love his playing on the underrated NSE too!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  07:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to read this; very sad. I think I spoke with him once before a show, told him how much I enjoyed them live and encouraged or more likely, pleaded with him for a live album. Was easy to talk to and quite pleasant. Seemed humbled I'd traveled a bit to see them play.

As for his playing, I loved it; the perfect balance to Rich's wonderful histrionics and shredding.

I haven't listened to the Catholics in a loooong time, perhaps I'll pull out some of their stuff (eventually) and give it a spin. Some bootlegs too.

I'll say a prayer for him and his family.

cheers

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  10:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

Happy to help with this.

Sadly I never got to see the Catholics play live. Very moving reading the tributes to Dave. Love his playing on the underrated NSE too!

Thanks Ziggy, if you want to start with Dave’s in a Google doc that would be much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  15:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

Happy to help with this.

Thanks Ziggy, if you want to start with Dave’s in a Google doc that would be much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  01:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cool muther effer
So god dam cool
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  03:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
remember the Devil's Workshop tour, when Rich Gilbert was apparently not available? (at least for the L.A. show i saw), so Dave did all the guitar and steel. lots of heavy lifting. at first i was bummed to miss Rich, but soon became amazed at Dave's appetite for the work. it was one of those no-set-list gigs. and he would run with whatever first few chords or vocals FB would throw out. also, those gigs that were just Frank and Dave, i believe there was one where Dave played steel all night, on any tune Frank would toss out. i played in a band with a good singer/writer around that time, and i would often dread the gigs where we were just a duo and he didn't want to rehearse. but they would often turn out well. Dave seemed fearless in that way, diving in to what ever random impulse FB would lead with.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2021 :  14:15:49  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh man, just saw this. Terrible to hear.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000