Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2020 :  10:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy, friends.

I am not sure if this is the right spot on the Forum for a post of this nature, so if any of the Mods need to move it to a more appropriate location, please feel free.

I have started a new, tiny indie record label and am mapping out the next few years' worth of releases.

One plan is to release an extensive Tribute Album devoted to the words and music of both "Frank Black" and "Black Francis" in July of 2021.

The album will definitely be available as a high-fidelity, lossless digital download with full, high-resolution printable PDF artwork and liner notes.

If there is enough interest to make it financially feasible, it will also be released as an extremely limited-edition physical CD with deluxe packaging and Bonus Tracks.

At present, I am hoping for at least 140 minutes' worth of material (a 2-CD set), but if a tremendous amount of top-quality submissions come across the transom, I can see it being a 3-CD box.

We may also release a VERY limited run on cassette tape, but NO vinyl. The costs and technological hurdles to pressing vinyl at this point make that format prohibitive for a release such as this.

Anyone who is interested in discussing the technical and legal requirements for making a submission should feel free to shoot me an email directly at this address:

FakeFangsRecords@gmail.com

However, in general, here's what I am looking for:

1. The scope of the record will cover ONLY "solo" material which has been released/billed under the names "Frank Black" and "Black Francis." That means NO Catholics stuff, NO Grand Duchy and NO Pixies. Francis/Paley compositions are fine, however. How come? Because we're also planning dedicated FB & The C's and Pixies Tributes for later on down the line...

2. One notable exception to this general rule is the "Frank Black Francis" album, which essentially serves as solo demos of material designated and later released by Pixies, so NOTHING off that record will be considered.

3. Musicians/artists who submit tracks do not have to be established or enjoy an existing public profile in any way, shape or form. The quality and caliber of both the recorded performances (and the recordings themselves) are of paramount concern in the selection process. I am hoping for a healthy mix of both well-known acts and relative unknowns. However, in order to achieve that goal, the unknown or DIY artists' contributions must sit nicely alongside the more professional or experienced artists' submissions. If an act is INTENTIONALLY going for a Low-Fi aesthetic, that will be taken into account. Hope all this makes sense.

4. This is a legitimate, legally-produced Tribute Album, with all required publishing royalties paid to FBF.

5. All contributors will sign an industry-standard contract, and will receive royalties from any net proceeds on the project in exchange for the exclusive licensing of their Master Recording to the label. Be aware that there is (unfortunately) at least a decent chance that this project may either not break even on its production and marketing costs, or perhaps only generate a tiny amount of profits. So, ain't nobody gonna make a lot of dough on this. That said, all the contributing artists will receive a fair share of whatever proceeds are realized from the release.

6. While the quality of the performances and recordings are of main concern, I also highly encourage artists to "put their own stamp" on these songs -- either via new arrangements or approaches to the material. That is not required, but may yield surprising and memorable results.

That's it!

This Forum is the first place I have announced this project, so by all means, if you know someone who might not see it here but would likely be interested in participating, please feel free to copy this post and share it with them.

By the way, the label's debut release is now available, and I hope some of you may want to purchase a copy and support this endeavor.

It's a long-lost 1997 compilation of mid-'90s underground bands from the Savannah, GA area which has been remastered from the original 2-Track Master Tapes, hidden in storage for 23 years, and which provides a great snapshot of this hitherto undocumented time period in this Deep South alternative music scene.

Dig it here:
FakeFangs.com

Stay safe, healthy and upbeat.

Best,
Peter Radiator
Fake Fangs Guy

Edited by - peter radiator on 10/26/2020 20:51:30

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2020 :  00:34:02  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool. Look forward to following the progress of this.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  12:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

Very cool. Look forward to following the progress of this.

Me too!

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  01:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great initiative !

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  09:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me know if I can do anything to help, but I'll be looking forward to the results!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000