908 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  11:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Sentences I never thought I'd write.

I prefer their version of Que Sera Sera

(Seriously it's very good)

Agreed!

In addition to finding Human Crime bland, I'm glad it's a one off, because unlike auxfnx (sorry!) I'm very unimpressed with that artwork, so am glad it's not going to be the aesthetic of the next album.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  12:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I take it back, 3 listens now and I am starting to buzz. Plus Paz looks like she throws amazing parties!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  12:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although it does remind my a tiny tiny bit of Dance with Me Tonight (Olly Murs - if you don't know, don't look it up...)
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  12:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With each listen, I'm hearing new things. Structurally/sonically, I think the song is very rich, much richer that the lyrics. But maybe that's the point. Frank Black has a knack for writing seeming "love/heartbreak" songs where deliberate lyrical simplicity, after repeated listens, gives way to melodically rich structuring. That's his art and craft.
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  12:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sure I agree - many of his love/heartbreak songs are lyrically quite rich and inventive. I'm thinking, for example, of Selkie Bride, I Burn Today, Honeycomb, and Death Horizon. Even with those aside, I think it's worth distinguishing between lyrical simplicity (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash - this is the side he leans towards on many of the Americana Catholics albums, in particular Show Me Your Tears) on the one hand, and vague and unevocative lyrics that are just place holders for a melody on the other (this and Hear Me Out).

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 03/02/2022 14:00:24
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  12:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect it's not the lyrical simplicity or the saccharine chorus (made all-the-sweeter by those hand claps). No, I think the problem is Joey's absence during the verses and his artless chord progression during the chorus. He isn't bringing much to the table, except for the solo, which is fairly forgettable, by Pixies standards, but is nevertheless evocative, thanks to a fantastic guitar tone and the brief duelling guitars going on, which is cool. The verses are literally Paz's thudding bass, the Arcade Fire-sounding organ, and Charles' vocal hook at about halfway thru the verse (imo the best part of the song). There's not much and it's sort of mushed together in the mix. The verses need Joey doing something weird and the chords during the chorus should be replaced with a melody that better conveys some emotion.

Edited by - tamefan on 03/02/2022 13:02:50
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  13:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I'm not so sure I agree - many of his love/heartbreak songs are lyrically quite rich and inventing. I'm thinking, for example, of Selkie Bride, I Burn Today, Honeycomb, and Death Horizon. Even with those aside, I think it's worth distinguishing between lyrical simplicity (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash - this is the side he leans towards on many of the Americana Catholics albums, in particular Show Me Your Tears) on the one side, and vague and unevocative lyrics that are just place holders for a melody on the other (this and Hear Me Out).

On first listen I was definitely getting a Catholics vibe.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  13:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy reading your takes, Brank Flack and tamefan. It's something I've missed on this board and I'm glad this new release has marked a return to some thoughtful and interesting discussion. Someone mentioned that this was a song Frank Black played solo at a benefit concert last year. I wonder when the song was written.
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  13:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two thumbs up from me.

I felt like if someone said "here's a Catholics B-side you've never heard of" I would have believed them after the first listen.

Thanks Frank for another nice song.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  15:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find the solo really really boring :(
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  23:32:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do love the key change
One of the very few suprises in the song

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  23:34:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I suspect it's not the lyrical simplicity or the saccharine chorus (made all-the-sweeter by those hand claps). No, I think the problem is Joey's absence during the verses and his artless chord progression during the chorus. He isn't bringing much to the table, except for the solo, which is fairly forgettable, by Pixies standards, but is nevertheless evocative, thanks to a fantastic guitar tone and the brief duelling guitars going on, which is cool. The verses are literally Paz's thudding bass, the Arcade Fire-sounding organ, and Charles' vocal hook at about halfway thru the verse (imo the best part of the song). There's not much and it's sort of mushed together in the mix. The verses need Joey doing something weird and the chords during the chorus should be replaced with a melody that better conveys some emotion.

Arcade Fire was also one of my first thoughts

Good review, man!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2022 :  23:49:40  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As with BTE I totally dig all the stuff in the background

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  06:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I find the solo really really boring :(

What were you expecting, Dean Ween?