New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  20:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Live at Melkweg album and I have no idea who plays on it. Could anybody fill me in? Oh, and how is that organ solo at the start of Gouge Away so damn transcendental???

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  09:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This page has some credits: https://www.allmusic.com/album/live-at-melkweg-amsterdam-march-24-2001-mw0002317009/credits

Their format is a bit messy, so here's a cleaner list of who plays what:
  • Frank Black -- Guitar, Vocals
  • Scott Boutier -- Drums
  • Rick Gilbert -- Guitar, Keyboards, Pedal Steel, Vocals (Background)
  • David McCaffery (McCaffrey?) -- Bass, Vocals (Background)
  • Dave Phillips -- Guitar, Pedal Steel, Vocals (Background)

Edited by - McDutchie on 12/05/2019 09:35:56
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  15:22:35  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

Oh, and how is that organ solo at the start of Gouge Away so damn transcendental???

It is superb isn't it!
Definitely my favourite Catholics-Pixies song
There are a few cracking versions out there.
This is probably the best with a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBXYjtcreTA

Definitely EDF that started the whole organ thing, and love how Frank bought it back all those years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t62eLREiK-8

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  10:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dancing the Manta Ray is also great, the keyboards sound gives it an awesome B movie feel.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  08:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Dancing the Manta Ray is also great, the keyboards sound gives it an awesome B movie feel.

Totally agree, great description
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  08:10:46  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this album.. I love it cos it's quite obviously brilliant but it also makes me a little angry because it's the biggest missed opportunity of all time and I really don't understand the decisions behind the runtime and tracklist...

Why put pretty much 50% Pixies songs on it when it's a FB&TC's album?!? It would've been the perfect opportunity to capture the spirit of what a Catholics live show was all about and also would've given us excellent quality live versions of so many other Frank solo songs mixed in with the amazing Catholics versions of the Pixies songs.... Such a shame... I often wonder how hard it would be to persuade The Bureau to release the rest of the show (as a digital only release perhaps)? Next year is the 20th anniversary so it'd make sense. Either that or another full show from 2001?
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^^I can't believe it's ACTUALLY happening now!!!! These things never happen in real life!!!

Also, 99% sure I'm definitely fully responsible for the re-release of this album via my above post
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  13:22:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ricj

^^I can't believe it's ACTUALLY happening now!!!! These things never happen in real life!!!

Also, 99% sure I'm definitely fully responsible for the re-release of this album via my above post

Haha Thanks

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2022 :  19:52:24  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if it's being released on streaming platforms or any non-vinyl format for that matter?
I'd love to listen to the entire thing in this quality. I do have the complete audience recording, as well as the 7 song FM broadcast, but that's totally different.

Edited by - benji on 09/28/2022 20:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2022 :  04:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

Anyone know if it's being released on streaming platforms or any non-vinyl format for that matter?
I'd love to listen to the entire thing in this quality. I do have the complete audience recording, as well as the 7 song FM broadcast, but that's totally different.

From what I've learned there will probably be a digital release but it's still to be confirmed, same with cd.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2023 :  23:36:08  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still waiting eagerly for that digital release....
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2023 :  12:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ricj

Still waiting eagerly for that digital release....

Me too! I used the contact section on the blackfranc.is website where it was described as 'likely but not confirmed' for digital / CD

I suppose there would probably be some period of exclusivity for the vinyl to maximise sales etc.

Would love it if it was available on Bandcamp.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2023 :  02:03:15  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I've listened to the 'Pixies version' a million times, I just want to enjoy the novelty of listening to the full version, the massive familiarity of those first few songs causing me to forget I'm listening to the full version and then having all the gaps filled in.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2023 :  02:10:13  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I ended up buying the triple vinyl... expensive but slightly less than I thought (got it for €55, the price of a Pixies ticket!) so I relented. I only listened to the first vinyl so far but it's really something. Amazing sound and there's some stuff on there that's just crazy... The countryfied version of Fiddle Riddle is worth the price alone.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2023 :  03:38:38  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hot damn Six Sixty-Six on vinyl is quite something :)

Denis
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2023 :  06:20:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
enjoy, Denis!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000