New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  10:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any ideas?

I nominate Cult of Ray, whole album recorded in 72 hours.

https://www.avclub.com/frank-black-1798207955

Is there a quicker one that anyone knows about? I feel like there could be...

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  16:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Any ideas?

They are talking about FB&TC, not COR...

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  16:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Serious
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  02:36:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

quote:

Any ideas?

Yeah I’m pretty sure I remember somewhere he talked about feeling like COR spent too much time baking in the studio. Like they over worked it (overdubs, tweaks, polish, etc) and felt some of the life was snuffed out of it or something. I could be conflating someone else’s analysis with his actual take on it - I can’t find an interview to cite. It might have even been here.

Anyway though, the down and dirty lightning fast approach of the Catholics straight to two track, skipping all the overdubs and tweaking, was a direct reaction to how COR came out. If you basically cut a final mixdown every time you perform a song, it takes a lot of the stuff that usually burns time in the studio out of the equation entirely - hence the ability to do a whole album in 3 days.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/25/2019 02:39:05
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  06:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB&Cs would be the quickest of the Catholics?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  07:06:02  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

FB&Cs would be the quickest of the Catholics?

Probably. There aren't a lot of production details floating around about them DITS was 10 days according to this article: http://magnetmagazine.com/2001/04/15/frank-black-odd-ball/

I'm not sure how you could get much faster, short of just recording a live show from one evening straight to 2 track.

I love FB&C and a big part of it, outside of the strong material, is the way it was done. You can literally hear his voice getting more ragged as the album progresses (until The Man Who Was Too Loud ... sounds like a fresher take). Not sure if they did it mostly in order or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm guessing the artwork was done during a couple breaks on one of those recording days too

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  08:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

quote:

Any ideas?

Yeah I’m pretty sure I remember somewhere he talked about feeling like COR spent too much time baking in the studio. Like they over worked it (overdubs, tweaks, polish, etc) and felt some of the life was snuffed out of it or something. I could be conflating someone else’s analysis with his actual take on it - I can’t find an interview to cite. It might have even been here.

Anyway though, the down and dirty lightning fast approach of the Catholics straight to two track, skipping all the overdubs and tweaking, was a direct reaction to how COR came out. If you basically cut a final mixdown every time you perform a song, it takes a lot of the stuff that usually burns time in the studio out of the equation entirely - hence the ability to do a whole album in 3 days.

That makes for an interesting theory on COR. Wonder what it would have sounded like if they released it with less finaglings.

I don't suppose we will get many articles next year celebrating 25 years of the Cult of Ray.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  15:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wait I am really confused about what people are saying about Cult of Ray. That's an incredibly stripped down album and I thought I had read it's basically live except for a few things? It doesn't sound fussy or overworked with tons of overdubs at all, it sounds like exactly the opposite of that. Teenager of the Year sounds fussy and tons of overdubs and etc, not Cult of Ray.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  23:23:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Wait I am really confused about what people are saying about Cult of Ray. That's an incredibly stripped down album and I thought I had read it's basically live except for a few things? It doesn't sound fussy or overworked with tons of overdubs at all, it sounds like exactly the opposite of that. Teenager of the Year sounds fussy and tons of overdubs and etc, not Cult of Ray.

I’m just trying to paraphrase what I’m 99% sure frank said at some point about COR. I don’t know where you got “fussy” from, I didn’t say that. I’m not sure what fussy sounds like tbh. And you can overdub (re-record is what I mean) a guitar solo hundreds of times, but still only have one solo. It doesn’t have to be A Night at the Opera. I don’t recall exactly what was said, if it was specifically about “overdubs.” It could have been more about mixing. I think it was implied that they just spent too much time in the studio, which could mean multiple takes, playing with arrangements and stuff until it loses some freshness.The gist was it came out different than he/they wanted, and they blamed the studio process.

It doesn’t matter though, I could be mistaken. You don’t have to believe me, I can’t find the interview to cite it anyway.

Surely someone else on this forum recalls this. Unfortunately most of the forum participants that would be able to back me up are long gone.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 06/25/2019 23:35:51
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  02:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dalgety should listen to COR. I love how this album sounds. Drums are awesome.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  02:43:33  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Dalgety should listen to COR. I love how this album sounds. Drums are awesome.

___
"Service Unavailable"

It is really well engineered. And the drums sound smokes anything 2.0

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  05:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any ideas?

I always thought SVN FNGRS was recorded quickly but looks like it took a week... had to dig through an old interview to double check but it's a pretty cool interview and worth revisiting!

https://www.villagevoice.com/2008/04/15/interview-black-francis-aka-frank-blank-aka-charles-michael-kittredge-thompson-iv/
Go to Top of Page

ClassicalRey
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  14:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Paley and Francis: two days.

https://www.reidpaley.com/04_REID.PALEY.Paley_Francis.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly