Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  10:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question was about a favorite 2.0 song. And it's interesting because 'Snakes' is kind of a throw away song. But I love it and I've seen it win over people in concerts, clearly listening to it for the first time.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  13:52:23  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://glidemagazine.com/232881/pixie-recapture-studio-mystique-via-beneath-the-eyrie-album-review/ Another good review.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  23:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

About IC, it's funny how Frank stated once again in a recent interview (following a very lame 'what's your favourite Pixies song' question) that "Snakes" is his favourite !

___
"Service Unavailable"

Snakes followed by Silver Bullet (or vice versa) works really well, like a 2 headed snake!

I was initially not fond of snakes the song but after seeing them perform it live a few years ago I completely changed my mind on it, it's fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  00:10:46  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A an even lighter [or much lighter on some songs] touch on the compression would have done miracles.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/22/2019 00:11:22
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  00:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In at #1 in the Indie chart
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  03:45:09  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

A an even lighter [or much lighter on some songs] touch on the compression would have done miracles.

Probably, but I’ll take what I can get. I have no complaints after the brickwalled mess of HC and IC. If those two albums had the exact same mastering as BTE, for me anyway, they would have come across quite differently.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  06:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

The question was about a favorite 2.0 song.

Nope, in the latest interview he's asked about one Pixies song he's particularly proud of. Not a 2.0 song only.
https://youtu.be/mLWtRtp14V0?t=159

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/22/2019 06:11:55
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2019 :  08:16:58  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey may have just been throwing a random song out there that wasn’t expected for the hell of it, but I think snakes is one of the 3 or 4 strongest songs on IC. For me it’s probably tied with Hexe and Andro for my favorite on that album.

Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  04:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

About IC, it's funny how Frank stated once again in a recent interview (following a very lame 'what's your favourite Pixies song' question) that "Snakes" is his favourite !

___
"Service Unavailable"

I love Snakes - my favorite song from IC. I just love the rhyming couplet he came up with for the chorus.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  07:13:07  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://thefirenote.com/2019/09/23/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-album-review/ Another good one.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  11:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I love Snakes - my favorite song from IC. I just love the rhyming couplet he came up with for the chorus.

Snakes has got me thinking it's a Dark Mountain song. I never really paid a whole lot of attention to the lyrics until now.

Meet me at the Coppice stool, before the night takes back it's jewels. Bring your life of memories before they sink into the seas.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  11:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Review

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pixies-review-alternative-legends-firing-on-all-cylinders-l769gtvlg
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2019 :  12:30:17  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’m a lot less skeptical of these reviews that come out about a week after release. Makes me think for a moment that, hey maybe, just maybe, they listened to the album more than once while they were cleaning the kitchen before writing (or copy pasting) their review

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  03:41:44  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://amherstwire.com/29430/entertainment/life-death-and-surfing-pixies-ride-surreal-waves-to-new-gothic-heights-with-beneath-the-eyrie/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  04:02:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://amherstwire.com/29430/entertainment/life-death-and-surfing-pixies-ride-surreal-waves-to-new-gothic-heights-with-beneath-the-eyrie/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Good review... except for lifting Hunter Thompson’s famous quote verbatim and not citing him.

Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  04:45:52  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Good review... except for lifting Hunter Thompson’s famous quote verbatim and not citing him.

And the fact that the writer said this is THE 17TH RELEASE by the band.... is he including singles and compilations?!?!
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  06:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Review

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pixies-review-alternative-legends-firing-on-all-cylinders-l769gtvlg

Paywall, fades out before they get to Kim Deal.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  07:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right about now I can't decide which songs are my favorites. Been a while since I said that.

If you would have told me that Los Surfers Muertos was a 1.0 B-side like Santos or Corazon Diablo I would have believed you. I use B side as a complimentary term.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  10:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daniel Boone is Where Is My Mind? filtered through Dog in the Sand (the song)

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  09:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really enjoying the new album. So good.

I haven't checked out the bonus tracks ("demos") yet.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  09:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Set back Chapel Hill to it's proper length

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hnxzzi73canest/BTE_Demos_FLAC.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FFLAC

where can this one be found these days? the link isn't working anymore.

thanks for the vinyl rips, everyone!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2019 :  12:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The question was about a favorite 2.0 song.

Nope, in the latest interview he's asked about one Pixies song he's particularly proud of. Not a 2.0 song only.
https://youtu.be/mLWtRtp14V0?t=159
___
"Service Unavailable"

I stand corrected. A stupid question then, but still a fun little interview that's worth watching.

quote:
Originally posted by marcusb

Daniel Boone is Where Is My Mind? filtered through Dog in the Sand (the song)

-Marcus

The bridge on Daniel Boon makes it a better song than Where Is My Mind or Dog in the Sand.
Go to Top of Page

marce
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  03:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Flacs.

SmurfyX can you do your Mediafire thing? I don't want this link to be live too long

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hnxzzi73canest/BTE_Demos_FLAC.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FFLAC

Any chance you would re-post a link? Thank you so much!!!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  10:31:04  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
The bridge on Daniel Boon makes it a better song than Where Is My Mind or Dog in the Sand.

It's there so it can get across the water.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  05:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it but I don't think I like it better than WIMM or DITS.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  10:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you could combine the two albums into one reasonably-timed collection what would you include? I'd have something like this, probably a few flow issues as I have thrown it together without too much thought in the ordering.

In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain
On Graveyard Hill
Chapel Hill
Caught In A Dream
Catfish Kate
This Is My Fate
Silver Bullet
St. Nazaire
Hey, Debussy
How I Learned To Earn Rewards
I Just Can't Break It To You
Bird of Prey
Daniel Boone
Death Horizon

I'm tempted to shunt On Graveyard Hill as for me the chorus is pretty weak but it's a rare fast-paced song. Would also cut a few seconds off Debussy.

I caught myself singing Caught In A Dream on the street earlier. It's got a lovely melody and I'm just realising the end of it echoes No 13 Baby a little.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  10:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if the All Music Guide review was posted. It's a nice review and refreshingly doesn't use the word Gothic once. https://www.allmusic.com/album/beneath-the-eyrie-mw0003284691
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  14:43:37  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Not sure if the All Music Guide review was posted. It's a nice review and refreshingly doesn't use the word Gothic once. https://www.allmusic.com/album/beneath-the-eyrie-mw0003284691

Yeah the whole “gothic” thing is really annoying. I don’t even know what that means. Cause the album cover is black? Because it was recorded in a church converted into a recording studio? Not a gothic church either btw? Those are pretty common. There’s one down the street from me. Because there are songs about death? Aren’t like a good 1/3 of all songs ever about death? At least? A song about a witch? What’s “gothic” about that?

I don’t know. It’s a tiresome adjective. Part of the marketing I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  16:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The minor arpeggio chord thing in Mark of Cain is extremely gothic, it sounds like something off of a Gothic Archies song or The Cure or something. That's why reviews call it gothic, because one of the first things on the album is a blatantly gothic musical motif. There's also supernatural and witch references in some songs, which is as gothic as it gets.

MOST OF THE ALBUM, THOUGH? Not super gothic. But sometimes a few motifs on an album stand out so much that the album as a whole seems to take that shape. TMBG's album John Henry has 5 songs about car crashes. But there's 20 songs on the album. So only 1/4th of the album has car crash songs, but to me it's the car crash album, just from how it's spread out all over it (and begins and ends that way too like bookends.)

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 09/30/2019 08:57:08
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  01:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you could combine the two albums into one reasonably-timed collection what would you include? I'd have something like this, probably a few flow issues as I have thrown it together without too much thought in the ordering.

In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain
On Graveyard Hill
Chapel Hill
Caught In A Dream
Catfish Kate
This Is My Fate
Silver Bullet
St. Nazaire
Hey, Debussy
How I Learned To Earn Rewards
I Just Can't Break It To You
Bird of Prey
Daniel Boone
Death Horizon

I'm tempted to shunt On Graveyard Hill as for me the chorus is pretty weak but it's a rare fast-paced song. Would also cut a few seconds off Debussy.

I caught myself singing Caught In A Dream on the street earlier. It's got a lovely melody and I'm just realising the end of it echoes No 13 Baby a little.

Cyrus
Graveyard
Chapel
Fate
Caught
Prey
Mal de Mer
Cain
Don't Go
Surfers
Debussy (shorter)
Horizon
Marigold (shorter)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  09:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn’t
Change
A Thing
About BTE
Love
The
Demos too
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  10:12:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really don’t think these demos and the album work well together. The songs don’t compliment each other side by side in my opinion. I did mess around with trying to figure out a mix, but it didn’t flow. Not just because of the production, but the songs themselves. Jarring.

For me it would be like trying to mix Svn Fngrs and BTE. I find the songs and approaches to be that different.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  12:32:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both albums have a few fillery tracks, but that's OK because Mark of Cain, Boone, Chapel Hill, Hey Debussy and the last two rocking numbers at the end. Please Don't Go can go if it wants, and the indy poppy ones too (Graveyard Hill and Catfish Kate) so bored of hearing them on Radio 6. I knew I was going to get tired of listening to both those tracks fairly early on.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  23:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Caught in a Dream" is the bonus track on the Japanese cd release.
So that's one track that has been made available elsewhere...

it's educational

Edited by - Discoking on 09/30/2019 23:33:26
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you could combine the two albums into one reasonably-timed collection what would you include?

BTE is already 39 minutes: the same length as Bossanova, Doolittle, and Trompe. So it's difficult to go by time. If I were making a BTE-demos album, I would do three things: (1) aim for 15 tracks, (2) shorten many songs (Silver Bullet, Los Surfers, Caught in a Dream, Please Don't Go)... a song like Debussy should be a full 60 seconds shorter, and (3) increase the tempo on several songs which would also reduce total time (in fact, I have already used Audacity to increase the tempos on Graveyard, St. Nazaire, Hey Debussy, and Kate by 10%).

My 15 tracks, in order, would be:

Silver Bullet
On Graveyard Hill
Long Rider
Bird of Prey
St. Nazaire
Los Surfers Muertos
Catfish Kate
Hey Debussy
This is My Fate
Mark of Cain
Chapel Hill
Ready for Love
Daniel Boone
Under the Marigold
Caught In A Dream

This is roughly the order I listen to the album now.

Edited by - tamefan on 10/01/2019 00:59:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000