Posted - 09/18/2019 :  12:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprite, thank you so much for this.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  12:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flacs.

SmurfyX can you do your Mediafire thing? I don't want this link to be live too long

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o0szy0yi2pc9d5/bte_demo_flac.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hnxzzi73canest/BTE_Demos_FLAC.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FFLAC

Edited by - Sprite on 09/19/2019 10:07:25
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  13:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

I'm pretty sure Knock Boots is St. Nazaire. You can hear 2:30 of the 4th episode.

It is

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

It's suggested the chorus was something like "I want to knock boots with you" isn't it, in the original lyric?
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  14:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprite <3
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  14:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey is there some issue with the files for anyone else? Chapel Hill is 11 min?
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  14:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Chapel Hill track is actually the full audio for the first side of the album (The Good Works Of Cyrus, Please Don't Go, Chapel Hill, Caught In A Dream, Mal De Mer)
Go to Top of Page

warpig81
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  16:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my personal flac rip if anyone is interested....

https://mega.nz/#!Th5ghAoa!QoI2ZyHKx4OlteoHdMcTtllOSt6iOmlah97DxFkalrM

I've lurked here for YEARS. Figured it's time I give something back :)
Go to Top of Page

Aerohead
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  16:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warpig81

Here is my personal flac rip if anyone is interested....

https://mega.nz/#!Th5ghAoa!QoI2ZyHKx4OlteoHdMcTtllOSt6iOmlah97DxFkalrM

I've lurked here for YEARS. Figured it's time I give something back :)

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  17:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate you, Sprite.

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Flacs.

SmurfyX can you do your Mediafire thing? I don't want this link to be live too long

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

SmurfyX
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  17:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Flacs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o0szy0yi2pc9d5/bte_demo_flac.zip?dl=0

Do you want me to upload it there or just use the link Warpig gave? I'm down for either bby you just holler
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  21:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well seen as mine have garbled up Chapel Hill might as well go for the Warpig link.

Epic first post Warpig

Edited by - Sprite on 09/19/2019 03:39:36
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  21:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks warpig ! (cool name by the way)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1052 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  00:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Warpig! Are you Kelley Deal or what?

++++
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  02:21:16  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.treblezine.com/reviews/pixies-beneath-the-eyrie-review/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

dthomas850
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  02:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks warpig and sprite!

Dan Thomas
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  04:22:38  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.dailynebraskan.com/culture/review-pixies-develop-darker-sound-on-new-album-beneath-the/article_0c428554-da76-11e9-9501-a71135072ace.html

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

warpig81
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  04:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would give both sprite's and my rip a listen. Different turntables/cartridges/signal chains/etc can vary in how things end up sounding.

There's quite a bit of inner groove distortion during "I just can't break it to you", due to how the record was mastered. To my ears, sprite's mix has a little less high end, so the distortion isn't nearly as obvious.

For my mp3 player, I use my rip for all but the last track which is swapped for sprite's.

I am kinda a nerd about this stuff #128513;
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunnyToo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  05:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the uploads!

--
DruggedBunnyToo
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  05:16:38  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would give both sprite's and my rip a listen. Different turntables/cartridges/signal chains/etc can vary in how things end up sounding.

There's quite a bit of inner groove distortion during "I just can't break it to you", due to how the record was mastered. To my ears, sprite's mix has a little less high end, so the distortion isn't nearly as obvious.

For my mp3 player, I use my rip for all but the last track which is swapped for sprite's.

I agree. I’m using an Ortofon Super OM40 and my copy on my turntable is fairly hot as well. Those higher end cartridges are great but on a poorly mastered (or due to other production choices) recording they bring out the bad with the good.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/19/2019 05:27:13
Go to Top of Page

warpig81
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  05:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

I agree. I’m using an Ortofon Super OM40 and my copy on my turntable is fairly hot as well. Those higher end cartridges are great but on a poorly mastered (or due to other production choices) recording they bring out the bad with the good.

My setup isn't even that great. Just an atlp120usb with the preamp bypassed and a basic at95 cart. It's not garbage but not high end by any means.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  08:42:05  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot.
I would have gladly paid for those on CD...
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  10:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set back Chapel Hill to it's proper length

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hnxzzi73canest/BTE_Demos_FLAC.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FFLAC
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  11:15:53  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, a week in I feel comfortable saying BTE is outstanding and definitely has staying power for me. Dare I say it’s a triumph? I know there are still some mixed / wishy washy reviews from casual fans, a few magazines, and diehards that think it’s 1992, but this album is a winner (I’m being a little snarky there - I can see why some might not like it I suppose..?) edit: that comment about casual fans and die hard sis more about what I’m seeing on other forums, not here [much].

I think I said several months ago when news was trickling out and the potential was being discussed, that it came across to me like they were going for a “moon shot” with this one. I took some ribbing for that (pun intended), but hey... here we are.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 09/19/2019 11:26:05
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  11:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. I've been listening to it for just a couple days now, and this is the most I've been excited about anything FB in more than a decade. I can't stop listening to it, and I keep discovering new things every time through. I'm obsessed like someone falling in love.

quote:

Well, a week in I feel comfortable saying BTE is outstanding and definitely has staying power for me.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, a week in I feel comfortable saying BTE is outstanding and definitely has staying power for me. Dare I say it’s a triumph? I know there are still some mixed / wishy washy reviews from casual fans, a few magazines, and diehards that think it’s 1992, but this album is a winner.

I think I said several months ago when news was trickling out and the potential was being discussed, that it came across to me like they were going for a “moon shot” with this one. I took some ribbing for that (pun intended), but hey... here we are.

Agreed that BTE, the more I listen to it, is beginning to feel like a superlative work in Black Francis'/Pixies 2.0 career.

It's strange that it seems to have garnered very little buzz around it, not only in the weeks leading up to the release date, but also after the album was available to everyone.

Maybe it has something to do with the lack of narrative behind it, even with the gothic vibe stuff. There's no big story to talk or write about, no big drama surrounding it, you just have to listen to it.

The b-sides are great for the most part, but IMO, with the exception of 'Chapel Hill' and 'Under the Marigold', the twelve tracks on BTE are much stronger than these.

It's still a joy to listen to them, though, especially when Joey is shining this bright on everything.

Edited by - Fitzy on 09/19/2019 12:26:23
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

My setup isn't even that great. Just an atlp120usb with the preamp bypassed and a basic at95 cart. It's not garbage but not high end by any means.

I was using the AT95 on my Technics 1200, but I upgraded because of the inner groove distortion. I have the Shure M97xE (R.I.P. Shure styli) and it performs much better.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  12:37:12  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those M97xE’s a re tricky to set up but once you get them perfectly dialed in they’re a really nice cartridge.

Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  02:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've really enjoyed it. I'm sad they don't make them anymore. I know there are better stylus/cartridges out there, but for the $80 or so I paid it's been super nice and the improvement over the AT95 was huge.

-Marcus
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  07:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am perplexed with the reviews that say this is a "return to form" - This is by far the most FB/FB&C's Pixies work so far. I think its a solid piece of work although at this point I think HC was better. That could change over time. I'm impressed that they are closing shows with Daniel Boone as the encore. That and Bird of Prey signal a bit of a direction change and it is welcome.

The demos are fine - Caught in a Dream and Mal de Mer are just fantastic though!
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  14:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp

I too am perplexed with the reviews that say this is a "return to form" - This is by far the most FB/FB&C's Pixies work so far. I think its a solid piece of work although at this point I think HC was better. That could change over time. I'm impressed that they are closing shows with Daniel Boone as the encore. That and Bird of Prey signal a bit of a direction change and it is welcome.

Reviews that say this are either copying each other and being dishonest or they just know nothing about Pixies or Frank's music.

This album in several ways sounds like Catholics songs to me, as did a lot of Head Carrier. And that's fine. I think it's totally OK that Frank is just gonna write in the style he wants and the Pixies will Pixie it up for him. Birds of Prey, Daniel Boone, Catfish Kate, This Is My Fate, all of these have this folky country pop feel that Catholics albums had.

I listened again to Indie Cindy today and that album sounds like Bossanova to me, like classic Pixies (or at least a blatant ATTEMPT to sound like that), and it's baffling that reviewers are waiting till now to say things like "return to form" now that Frank has shed that off and is just doing his (assumed) natural songwriting again. What are they even talking about?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  14:47:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man I'll tell you what, I'm glad I didn't lollygag ordering that Deluxe LP. They're rare as hen's teeth now. None on ebay and the only one on discogs is priced at $252... yikes!

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  22:05:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp

Reviews that say this are either copying each other and being dishonest or they just know nothing about Pixies or Frank's music.

This album in several ways sounds like Catholics songs to me, as did a lot of Head Carrier. And that's fine. I think it's totally OK that Frank is just gonna write in the style he wants and the Pixies will Pixie it up for him. Birds of Prey, Daniel Boone, Catfish Kate, This Is My Fate, all of these have this folky country pop feel that Catholics albums had.

I listened again to Indie Cindy today and that album sounds like Bossanova to me, like classic Pixies (or at least a blatant ATTEMPT to sound like that), and it's baffling that reviewers are waiting till now to say things like "return to form" now that Frank has shed that off and is just doing his (assumed) natural songwriting again. What are they even talking about?

I'm hearing a bit of everything in it (demoes included). I'd consider it very much return to form for Pixies though. Joey's guitar on Boone really takes me back to the early days; it's like I'm 19 again and just starting out at uni. The demoes have a healthy mix of rocking Catholics and quirky Come on Pilgrim.

Nothing not return to form about it for me. IC was a disaster. HC was an improvement. BTE is what I've been looking and hoping for from a new Pixies 2.0 album for many years.

It has the right balance of something new and the old Pixies sound we all love. They nailed it. I hope they make more albums like thisand this is just the start of a new era of Pixies.

I can't think of another band who've come back with a new album after so many years and sounded as fresh as this?

Edited by - pot on 09/20/2019 22:06:16
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2019 :  22:09:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man I'll tell you what, I'm glad I didn't lollygag ordering that Deluxe LP. They're rare as hen's teeth now. None on ebay and the only one on discogs is priced at $252... yikes!

Lollygag?

That's a new one for me.

If I hadn't lollygagged on so many things recently I'd have died of malnutrition (but my liver would probably have benefitted so at least another surviving alcoholic with liver failure could have got it)
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
813 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  05:19:45  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nothing not return to form about it for me. IC was a disaster. HC was an improvement. BTE is what I've been looking and hoping for from a new Pixies 2.0 album for many years.

I can't think of another band who've come back with a new album after so many years and sounded as fresh as this?

Still don't get why fans don't like IC. Every time I hear it I like it more. I'd say it's at least half fantastic and half solid.

Anyway, Camper Van Beethoven's reunion album after a very Pixies-like split (the frontman ended the band and started the country/pop-ish Cracker, not unlike the Catholics) was brilliant. An elaborate concept album about aliens taking over the government and the main character a suicide bomber who bounces back and forth between both factions...but mainly what was great was how incredible the songs are on it.

One of my favorite albums of all time and shockingly ambitious and great for a reunion album. All their other new albums have also been really great. I would think Frank fans would like David Lowery, he's the only other songwriter who can do David Lynch references well.

Edited by - Troubles A Foot on 09/21/2019 05:20:48
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2019 :  05:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About IC, it's funny how Frank stated once again in a recent interview (following a very lame 'what's your favourite Pixies song' question) that "Snakes" is his favourite !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000