Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  02:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Dalgety funded the podcast in response to all the compression hate he was getting here? ;)

I don't think he's overstepped the mark in terms of suggestions etc. He's proactive but still in the producer space. It's a testament to their chops that they can roll with any suggestions that are thrown at them.

Enjoyed hearing them in the raw, thoroughly expecting all those rough edges to be dealt with in the mix/master.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  13:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

I assumed the 9 demos on the deluxe edition would be the songs that were recorded and left off the album, but I think the latest episode implies they aren't. It mentions there were 19 songs recorded in total, 3 of which being covers. We know the covers aren't on the demo album, so that would only leave 4 recorded songs. I guess it could be a combination. Has anyone kept track of the songs that have been mentioned in the podcast as being left off the final album?

Yes. Here are the 19 tracks:

Dreamland Recording Studios Session - December 2018
- 'Bird of Prey' [Previously known as 'I Have Your Mark', 'Birdie' and possibly 'Birdsy One']
- 'Catfish Kate'
- 'Caught In a Dream'
- 'Chapel Hill'
- 'Daniel Boone'
- 'Death Horizon' [Previously known as 'Extra Eye']
- 'Grow Fins' [Captain Beefheart cover]
- 'In the Arms of Mrs. Mark of Cain'
- 'Long Rider' [Previously known as 'Bogman']
- 'Los Macheteros'
- 'Los Surfers Muertos' [Previously known as 'Song 8' & 'Killer Dana']
- 'Mambo Sun' [T.Rex cover]
- 'On Graveyard Hill' [Previously known as 'Whaleback Hill']
- 'Ready For Love'
- 'Silver Bullet' [Previously known as 'I Like To Drive']
- 'St. Nazaire' [Previously known as 'Knock Boots']
- 'Sweet Relief' [Also known as 'Mysterions' & 'Hear Me Out']
- 'The Whole of the Law' [The Only Ones cover]
- 'This Is My Fate'

Edited by - jake3 on 09/11/2019 13:28:15
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2019 :  19:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

I assumed the 9 demos on the deluxe edition would be the songs that were recorded and left off the album, but I think the latest episode implies they aren't. It mentions there were 19 songs recorded in total, 3 of which being covers. We know the covers aren't on the demo album, so that would only leave 4 recorded songs. I guess it could be a combination. Has anyone kept track of the songs that have been mentioned in the podcast as being left off the final album?

- 'Bird of Prey' [Previously known as 'I Have Your Mark', 'Birdie' and possibly 'Birdsy One']
- 'Catfish Kate'
- 'Caught In a Dream'
- 'Chapel Hill'
- 'Daniel Boone'
- 'Los Macheteros'
- 'Ready For Love'
- 'This Is My Fate'

Awesome work Jake! Thanks for this and the song tracking in the BTE thread as well.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  11:51:02  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I read a couple of interviews that the podcast was a means of getting funds for the recording of BTE
Also Paz produced one or two episodes but they were rejected! Frank would have preferred the left field approach

Who do you think paid for it? Google? Record company? Booking agents?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  19:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After falling in love with BTE and listening to it nonstop for the last month, I finally listened to the podcast. Reading through this thread, I get the sense my perspective is a bit different than others'. To me, the podcast is a fantastic documentary about a great album. I'm so glad it happened -- it offers a ton of perspective and helps me understand and enjoy the songs even more than I already did.

Some observations:

Tom Dalgety did a fantastic job managing the recording of this album. I liken him to a classical conductor. In classical music, the conductor is playing a huge, complex instrument: the orchestra itself. The Pixies essentially entrusted Tom to play them, coax the art out of them, and then fine-tune it after the fact. And he did such a fantastic job. I especially like how he talked FB into writing that great bridge in "Daniel Boone."

"Daniel Boone" is a really special song. It was already my favorite thing FB has done in years, but it was so cool to listen how it came together, and how much the whole band reveres it. Especially Joey.

Paz is every bit as much Pixie as Kim Deal was. Maybe more. Her creative input is huge, as is her contribution to the band's dynamic.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2019 :  09:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Producing an album *effectively* for a group you are not already an actual member of is a Black Art.

It is akin to the ever-elusive "bedside manner" of a beloved and trusted physician.

Tom Dalgety is NOT too heavy-handed or intrusive in his efforts on HC and BTE.

How do I know that? Because the band LIKES what he brings to the table, and how he sets it.

They like it so much, that they CHOSE to work with him again, and even gave him MORE latitude (as far as his input and imprint goes) on their second collaboration.

That's what making a record with a dynamic, acclaimed outside producer is.

It's a creative partnership between the artists and the producer.

They agree up front on ground rules, and then work TOGETHER to create a record that is greater than the sum of their parts.

The artists TRUST the direction and suggestions of the producer. They usually have some sort of final say or veto power over what is done, but - generally speaking - they go into the process with the intent of hearing the producer out and giving that person's feedback, suggestions and viewpoints (including new musical parts to songs, changes in arrangements or lyrics, the addition of instruments or sounds outside of the group's normal comfort zone, etc...) at LEAST as much weight as that of the bandmembers themselves.

The producer is expected to be the one person who can straddle the delicate line between being objective and subjective as far as the work that is being done - and to look out for the artists' best interests in making the best record they can, without getting lost in the ego weeds of doing so (as usually happens to artists once they become so laser-focused on the costly and time-sensitive task at hand).

What many people are hearing in the podcast is actually so commonplace a relationship between producer and artists that it is essentially routine at this point in time.

This may be blowing the minds of people who never really gave that much thought to just how records are actually made, but it's true.

Some producers are not particularly musically inclined themselves and/or very "hands off" in the recording process, but, as someone said in the thread above, that makes them much more of a glorified recording engineer than an actual "producer."

In other words, it's the difference between a movie director and the guy on set who loads the film into the camera and makes sure the lens cap is off before the director yells "Action!".

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Edited by - peter radiator on 10/26/2019 09:19:53
Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
177 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2020 :  12:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Confession. I've never listened to this podcast! Thought it was a dumb idea at the time it was announced and never bothered to check it out. Am currently listening to Episode 1 right now and what a pleasure it is. With some whiskey. Being familiar with all of the tracks and loving them as I do is heightening my enjoyment of the sessions. The band truly has treated us with this album cycle. Also, everyone in the band sounds so happy

Edit: Okay, I've been listening like all day and now I'm on Episode 8. Paz has twice detailed the research she's done for conceptualizing two songs on the album (Los Surfers and Graveyard Hill). And it seems the songs start with a very specific subject -- Surfers is about the Killer Dana wave/Paz's late friend and Graveyard is about the atropa belladona plant/Hecate (the goddess of witchcraft). She clearly has a great collaborative relationship with Charles as they would play with ideas in the evenings and record in the mornings. They seem to have a light-hearted and teasing/playing rapport. She seemed really excited to tell Charles about the ideas behind Los Surfers, it was adorable. And he sounded genuinely pleased. So glad she's part of the band. I gained a huge appreciation for her (and for Dalgety) from the podcast series. Hopefully her positive influence will encourage the band to continue recording together -- and hey, maybe Paz could take an even larger writing role on the next record?

Edited by - tamefan on 02/25/2020 16:31:36
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2020 :  12:44:02  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

quote:

- 'Catfish Kate'
- 'Caught In a Dream'
- 'Chapel Hill'
- 'Daniel Boone'
- 'Los Macheteros'
- 'Ready For Love'
- 'This Is My Fate'

Great list. I have been obsessing about Sweet Relief lately. The snippets in episode 6 to 9 are amazing. This sounds like it should be released.

Los Macheteros is with the popy two guitar riff right?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  10:33:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The song seems to be called Hear me Out now and was listed on Amazon briefly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000