Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  08:03:43  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Just catching up on episode 2. Paz, for seemingly no reason, at 6:18 or so, sings out a recurring theme from The Beach Boys Smile that precedes the Child Is The Father Of The Man sections. Interesting.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

She does! Great observation!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2019 :  22:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Episode #4 Right there, that's me tuning a six string. Every time...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  00:07:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very nice episode

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  00:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is there a place/way to download these podcasts somewhere? (i have no experience with podcasts, but would like to check these out.)

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  02:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://player.fm/series/its-a-pixies-podcast

...or there are some links to places you can get it here - https://www.pixiesmusic.com/podcast
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  03:59:09  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

is there a place/way to download these podcasts somewhere? (i have no experience with podcasts, but would like to check these out.)

it's educational

Do you have a smartphone of some kind?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  07:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What song is being played at the beginning of each episode? Sounds great
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  07:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

What song is being played at the beginning of each episode? Sounds great

Pretty sure it's Catfish Kayt
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  08:49:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure it's a great song too. Catholics vibe and a sweet chorus

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  11:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This whole new album just sounds like a Catholics album to me, just like Head Carrier was, based on the clips in the podcast so far...and I have mixed feelings about that.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  12:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plaster of Paris sounds like the Catholics???
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  19:36:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I understand the mixed feelings
Still, as long as the material is good, I'm ready for some Catholics

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  23:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the clips in the podcast make me feel like this will be very Catholics-like. More subdued or straightforward vocals and Joey's guitar not standing out as much as it should. While I admire BF's abilities as a songwriter, I'm also worried that his recent stuff doesn't sound as inspired as past work by a wide margin. Lot of repetition going on, how many times does he repeat the choruses in these songs? The outros are basically the chorus sung over and over again until the music stops. I don't know, I'm officially worried about this upcoming album, mostly due to the songwriting and Dalgety's influence which is way more than I would've suspected. Was hoping Joey would finally get his wish for a more raw sounding group of songs.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  00:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Do you have a smartphone of some kind?

nope.
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

https://player.fm/series/its-a-pixies-podcast

thank you. that did the trick.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  00:22:56  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

I agree that the clips in the podcast make me feel like this will be very Catholics-like. More subdued or straightforward vocals and Joey's guitar not standing out as much as it should. While I admire BF's abilities as a songwriter, I'm also worried that his recent stuff doesn't sound as inspired as past work by a wide margin. Lot of repetition going on, how many times does he repeat the choruses in these songs? The outros are basically the chorus sung over and over again until the music stops. I don't know, I'm officially worried about this upcoming album, mostly due to the songwriting and Dalgety's influence which is way more than I would've suspected. Was hoping Joey would finally get his wish for a more raw sounding group of songs.

Indy Cindy had a lot of songs that went on forever.
Chorus, after chorus. Gil Norton finally got what he wanted!

I do think that Dalgety helps to keep the songs shorter on HC and BTE

Joey was playing great leads on IC and saved that record for me, but I have the feeling that he's having a hard time nowadays.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  00:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman
Joey was playing great leads on IC and saved that record for me, but I have the feeling that he's having a hard time nowadays.

Right.
I was also a bit surprised with the recording process. So Charles writes by himself, and Joey arrives near the end, and do what he does, sometimes without even knowing the vocals (???).
Then he puts lots of pressure on himself, and pretends that he "only knows a few tricks" (which is halfway true). And he's encouraged to "be himself" --> meaning he's comfortable repeating the same tricks over and over again.

I agree Joey sounds great with his few usual tricks, but I wouldn't be against some experimentation (even if Charles doesn't seem very enthousiastic about experimentations, as he stated in a previous episode).

Their communication skills haven't improved a lot since Loud-Quiet-Loud. The podcast is honest about that at least, it's interesting to see how the (non-)communication works.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 07/22/2019 00:37:03
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  02:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Gigantic. All over the world. Blast Off. Western Star. Threshold outro.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  03:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monkey gone to Heaven, Here comes your man, Into the White....
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  07:30:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe most of those Pixies songs mentioned are way shorter!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  07:31:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Blast Off is amazing
But
I rarely listen to the ending

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  07:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

quote:

Gigantic. All over the world. Blast Off. Western Star. Threshold outro.

That is why All over the world is the downer on Bossanova. If they would have cut it halfway through, and woulf have skipped Down to the well, and would have a little more inspired production/sound on Blown Away, Bossanova would be as good as Trompe Le Monde.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  09:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heresy. All Over The World is amazing.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  09:57:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bossanova is also a tiny bit better than Trompe

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  12:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is why All over the world is the downer on Bossanova. If they would have cut it halfway through, and would have skipped Down to the well, and would have a little more inspired production/sound on Blown Away, Bossanova would be as good as Trompe Le Monde.

Yikes, could not disagree more with all of that.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  12:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's do album survivor for a change

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  12:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe most of those Pixies songs mentioned are way shorter!

I was referring more to the use of repeated chorus on fade out. It's a common motif since Pixies 1.0.

I've come to the conclusion that the thing I dislike most about the Dalgety production is the time sync. I quite like sound of the Graveyard Hill (and the other snippets so far). But the vocals overall sound not synced correctly (especially the Witchy power line) and put together from one or two takes. Even though I'm sure it's been tweaked and tweaked in Pro-Tools or something. Whatever it is I really dislike it.

My favourite FB&C records are the more 'over produced' ones (DITS, BLD) compared to self-titled and Pistelero. I don't like the rougher that'll do feel of those. But their vocals are still better than GH.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  12:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And All over the World is immense.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  15:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Let's do album survivor for a change

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Can we shorten it by declaring Trompe as the winner, followed by the first 4 Frank Black solo records?

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  15:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

And All over the World is immense.

I think it is their worst song (not counting some b-sides, maybe). It is the only Pixies/FB-song where, to me, the attribute "pretentious" comes to mind. This applies to the second half only, which however completely ruins the song. Isn't it also the longest Pixies song? They are just not made for the Radiohead or Pink-Floyd format (and I love Pink Floyd).

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  19:34:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love Joey on this track. Could be shorter though.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  02:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, reading the discussion above was crazy. You crazy forum members!

Episode 5 has a 2018 FB performance of New House of the Pope for those interested

New album sounding good!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  03:43:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joey playing Is She Weird-esque lines in this podcast

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  12:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What new songs previewed in the podcast sound exciting to you all? They all sound pleasant enough but I'm hoping for some edgier stuff that I don't think we are gonna get. This is my Fate so far has a vibe I am desiring as a fan. Sounds kinda ominous and punchy.

Paz seems really cool and laid back in the studio from what we've heard. Confident in her abilities. The Killer Dana wave as a song idea is cool.

Edited by - natenate101 on 07/25/2019 14:44:28
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  00:02:46  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep, I like the songs. I tend to like Frank's writing (surprise!). So they sound exciting to me in that regard.
Still, I would push these 4 pixies as a producer to keep it weird. Keep the energy high.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  04:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, I like the songs. I tend to like Frank's writing (surprise!). So they sound exciting to me in that regard.
Still, I would push these 4 pixies as a producer to keep it weird. Keep the energy high.

Exactly. Keep it weird. So far only This is my Fate has that legit oddball factor to me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000