Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  16:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if the prologue is better than the logue itself?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  19:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Present is Epilogue would have sounded pessimistic

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  00:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it means that IC & HC are prologue, then that would be good news I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  03:19:56  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which is to say, Pixies... As in, Pro. Pro logue. Not a logue!, I don't have a logue, I mean, you know...If I had a logue... Not in the sense that you think I said I did...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  03:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it’s referring to 1.0, then there’s the whole escape from your past thing that’s probably gonna come up.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  09:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile, Dalgety has 6 months ahead to process, sample, equalize, clip, normalize, autotune, compress and brickwall the new music.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  11:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've real mixed feelings about this. I can't see myself listening to podcasts if the tracks are being drip fed one by one. I listened to the Doolittle demos just once. It's not my thing.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  11:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK that's a bit grumpy...I am also very excited about a new Pixies album in September
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  14:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just the latest in a series of rather unorthodox moves that FBF and the band have delighted (or felt somehow compelled to engage) in.

I think it's a healthy tact for themselves, as it can only serve to both "own" the legacy they never meant to create, but which was foisted upon them and now hangs around their neck like a boat anchor, AND to at least partially and playfully demystify their famously perplexing (to outsiders) band dynamic and creative process.

Back in 2006, FBF autographed a concert poster for a friend of mine, and directly underneath his name, he wrote in HUGE letters "I invented alternative rock!"

He meant it to be funny, and it was -- but in a canny sort of way.

He did not invent alternative rock, but he certainly wound up focusing it and defining a big chunk of it. All by accident, just through the force of his will to create material and performances that would hopefully stand respectably alongside those of his own personal musical heroes.

They were all involved in seeing that mutual goal to fruition, and now they are constantly looking for ways to balance giving the vast majority of their fans "what they want," while bemusedly cocking their heads and chuckling at the absurdity of it all (in no small part for the benefit of those of us who pay much more attention to them and their work than the average "greatest hits" owner or "Fight Club" fan).

Good for them.

It sounds like it will be both stupid and silly, while simultaneously serving as something of an eye-opening look at the businesslike approach of making solid record albums in a real, pro studio (something I am eternally interested in).

I certainly prefer the surprise of an album that drops out of the sky onto my head in its entirety, but I owe this band so much allegiance and goodwill that I'll play by their rules if they ask me to.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  22:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He invented alternative rock. And aliens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUDlRI1DZgg

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  17:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

He invented alternative rock. And aliens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUDlRI1DZgg

___
"Service Unavailable"

I never knew I needed to hear Motorway with extra screaming until now.... and lol that is one hell of an introduction.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  19:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

___
"Service Unavailable"

I don’t think the aliens ever intended for that song to be played live. It never seems to translate
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  15:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else feel like 12 eps = 12 songs on the album? One episode each focusing on their creation?

Edited by - natenate101 on 03/18/2019 15:52:43
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  09:06:14  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it could be right....although I'd like something closer to 15 tracks a la Doolittle and Trompe, they'll probably follow the trend of Indie Cindy and Head Carrier with 12 tracks.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  01:44:55  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Anyone else feel like 12 eps = 12 songs on the album? One episode each focusing on their creation?

hmmm... I don't know. I have mixed feelings about this anyway, but if they go through all the tracks breaking them down before the album is even released, I don't think I'd like that. It will be hard to not check it out because I'm a fan, but it could spoil the album. I like hearing a new album the first time, expecting the unexpected.

If they go through everything and show us how the sausage is made before we even taste it... It would be like going to a big magic show where in the first half they showed you in detail how all the tricks and illusions work, then in the second half they actually perform the show.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  01:54:10  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even reading the lyrics of an album before listening to it is sacrilege. It's like reading the script of a film before watching the film.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  09:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s what I expect.
Same as IC. With footage.
Album is the final package.
Maybe it makes sense. Economically.

I like behind the scenes stuff but indeed it would make more sense to hear the album first and then only later (even years !) be abke to know how it was made. Like looking back at a piece of history. I’d like to see the making of IC 7 years later for example. With Kim leaving and BF painting in Wales.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  10:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would be interesting is if the episodes just go into the origins of the tracks along with the buildup of the song. Play some quick snippets or stems of the track elements, but make us all wait until the album to hear the final versions. That would help preserve the anticipation but also give backstory and depth to the songs in terms of seeing how they came together from the start.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  10:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the podcast out yet?
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  12:43:59  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not til June
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  15:12:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another yearly quarter to go before the 13 week podcast release party.

Might as well just give us all the ful album now, because based on what I've heard from the 3 live clips so far I'm not really that bothered.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  16:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

What would be interesting is if the episodes just go into the origins of the tracks along with the buildup of the song. Play some quick snippets or stems of the track elements, but make us all wait until the album to hear the final versions. That would help preserve the anticipation but also give backstory and depth to the songs in terms of seeing how they came together from the start.

I guess they went to the studio with songs already written & rehearsed
It would be nice to have the prologue of the prologue (jam sessions). But I guess even at that stage, BF already has his songs ready in his head.
If I remember correctly, Snakes was written in the studio in Wales. As All i think about now for HC ? Theres a few exceptions but not that many.
I expect the podcast to be heavily focused on production, Dalgety in particular

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 03/20/2019 16:55:49
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  22:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't "All I Think About Now" based on a Paz bass melody on top of a Charles demo? Didn't think it was a studio creation.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  07:39:40  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Isn't "All I Think About Now" based on a Paz bass melody on top of a Charles demo? Didn't think it was a studio creation.

I understood it as Paz "mishearing" the demo and writing a bassline that didn't work with the demo at all. But they liked what she came up with, so they wrote a new song around her new bassline. So it started from something that ultimately wasn't included in the final song.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  01:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, something like that - the original demo was a Charles home recording that was too muddy to pick out any details so what Paz came up with became the spine of a new song.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  11:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Past is Prologue” was deliberately chosen as the Podcast series title as it refers to the duality of a journey, what the band has done previously and what the band is doing now. Said Michael Simons, co-founder of Signal Co. No1, “While the emphasis of the Podcast will be on the creation of the new album and looking forward, we were very interested, from a story perspective, in the way history has shaped who the Pixies are, and how and what they are creating now, how the past creates the present.”

For the “Past is Prologue, Pixies” podcast, Signal Co. No1 recorded every moment of the creative process, both in the studio’s control room, the main room, and in a special “video booth” where the band members documented their thoughts and observations over the course of recording. Every episode will document the band’s new music, from its earliest stages through to completion, giving fans the opportunity to witness the evolution of the tracks. Additionally, Fletcher spent copious amounts of time with the band at the studio, soaking up the entire process and conducting interviews with every band member as well as with Dalgety.

--
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  04:08:38  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKuukazuojw

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  15:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can hear a bit of a couple of the new songs in the background. CAN'T WAIT
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  15:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for the record...don't really care about the podcast
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  20:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper

you can hear a bit of a couple of the new songs in the background. CAN'T WAIT

Yes, Saint Nazaire and Catfish Kate
They sound bright, rather close to what we heard in live versions, not a bad thing

--
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2019 :  20:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward for the podcast, but I'd rather have the full album, have a good listen at it, learn to appreciate the songs, wait a few months, and then watch the making of.

Of course it will be impossible not to watch the podcast.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  08:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will be happy to hear Charles talk as he's usually quite interesting even when he's off-form but the rest I'll probably be fast -forwarding.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  15:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surprised at some of the indifferent reactions. Maybe it's just from myself making music and being interesting in production, but I couldn't be more fascinated about how a Pixies album comes together in the studio. Really looking forward to this. I think this is a pretty amazing gift to all of us.
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  15:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As echoed above, I think I would be really interested in it if I had already heard the album. But I don't really want to have it deconstructed for me before I've even heard it. Especially not with a BF project, where half the fun is "WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  16:06:15  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Super happy they threw another curve.Every record brings a lot of originality at least to my ears.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000