Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  11:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, he's got seven fingers, but does he have seven toes? (Please don't prove he does!)

Edited by - Stevio10 on 03/18/2019 11:50:04
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  11:51:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Sure, he's got seven fingers, but does he have seven toes? (Please don't prove he does!)

Presumably yes. Most of us have seven toes (at least)
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  12:49:06  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But... are you sure? I mean, that guy looks genuinely okay with it. Like, he really seems pleased with my vote. Almost like he’s endorsing it...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  12:52:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

But... are you sure? I mean, that guy looks genuinely okay with it. Like, he really seems pleased with my vote. Almost like he’s endorsing it...

He likes it when guy's diss his favourite album, if you know what I mean
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  07:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the much anticipated mid-Tuesday numbers for everyone:

FMRM - 4

Pistolero - 2

Golem - 1

SVN Fingers - 1
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  07:41:56  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pistolero then
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  13:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay I might be in the extreme minority here, but I’m going with SVN fingers. Not because it isn’t great relative to the others - it is. It’s just not substantial enough when I stack it up against what’s left. 7 songs, 20 minutes, and one of those songs has a much better version imo floating around.

It’s just too bite sized compared to what’s left, except Come On Pilgrim, but... come on.

This makes sense. Some absolutely fantastic songs (When They Come To Murder Me is my favourite), but to stand against other 'full' albums it's probably just not long enough.

Looking at the current votes though, I'm gonna say Fare Thee Well to FMRM. Svn Fngrs might be a wasted vote with only 1 other vote so far, and I do like Pistolero which has 2, so I feel like a FMRM vote might be more valuable at this stage of the round.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  13:47:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can't vote out an album because it's not long enough, or not got enough tracks, or got too many tracks that aren't that good.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  00:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

You can't vote out an album because it's not long enough, or not got enough tracks, or got too many tracks that aren't that good.

Too many tracks that aren't that good is my mine reason for every vote I've made so far!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  01:37:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Too many tracks that aren't that good is my mine reason for every vote I've made so far!

Yes but FMRM might have more good tracks than SVN FNGRS, while at the same time also having more bad tracks.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  01:40:12  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Voting out an album for not having enough good tracks seems like it would be the most logical reason of all.

What if the first 3 tracks of a Pixies album were something like Debaser, Monkey Gone to Heaven, and Velouria, but then then next 12 tracks and 30 minutes were only random fart and scratching noises over a Casio keyboard drum beat? Would it not make sense to vote it out?

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  01:50:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Voting out an album for not having enough good tracks seems like it would be the most logical reason of all.

What if the first 3 tracks of a Pixies album were something like Debaser, Monkey Gone to Heaven, and Velouria, but then then next 12 tracks and 30 minutes were only random fart and scratching noises over a Casio keyboard drum beat? Would it not make sense to vote it out?

What if SVN FNGRS had 10 tracks, and 7 of them were good. Would that be different to only having 7 tracks, 7 of which were good tracks (even if there's apparently a better version of one of them)

What if FMRM had a million tracks and 8 of them were amazing?

Edited by - pot on 03/20/2019 01:50:52
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  03:01:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’d probably say svn has some great stuff but overall not enough, and FMRM would have gotten my first vote for the boot

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  10:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here is our Wednesday update for those following:

FMRM - 5

Pistolero - 3

Golem - 1

SVN Fingers - 1
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  11:47:24  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to offer a cash bung to whoever voted for Golem and SVN in exchange for a vote for my Pistolero/save FMRM motion.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  14:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am voting Pistolero
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  15:35:51  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'd like to offer a cash bung to whoever voted for Golem and SVN in exchange for a vote for my Pistolero/save FMRM motion.

As an American, I'm not sure what a bung is - we're not as savvy with slang, but are you saying you'll give me cash to go against my personal beliefs? Because if that's the case, it don't get any more American than that. I'm on board. I'll defile myself.

... how much?

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  15:57:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
`
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

As an American, I'm not sure what a bung is - we're not as savvy with slang, but are you saying you'll give me cash to go against my personal beliefs? Because if that's the case, it don't get any more American than that. I'm on board. I'll defile myself.

... how much?

Name your price. It's a pretend bung though so feel free to ask for as much money as you want and you'll get the same
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  03:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FMRM vs SVN FNGRS is an interesting discussion...sheer number of good songs vs higher % of good songs. I could make a 7-song album from FMRM that I liked as much as SVN FNGRS or even more....but then what would I be left with? Three more FMRM EP-length groupings that are much weaker than SVN-F

Put another way, if I total up the "quality", the 27-song album is going to have more than the 7-song album. But if I average the quality, SVN FNGRS comes out way ahead

I vote FMRM
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  03:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pistolero
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  04:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest poll numbers are as follows:

FMRM - 6

Pistolero - 5

Golem - 1

SVN Fingers - 1
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  06:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And just to weigh in on the FMRM vs SVN debate:

What’s better, to wish there were more songs on an album or to wish there were fewer?

Edited by - Bedbug on 03/21/2019 06:32:17
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  06:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

What’s better, to wish there were more songs on an album or to wish there were fewer?

all killer, no filler

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  07:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

all killer, no filler

--

If all was killer and none was filler we would be done with Survivor before we started.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  08:31:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gotta tell ya, not trying to be nit picky here, but I’ve never thought of svn as even being an album. It’s basically an EP. Number of songs isn’t necessarily a big deal for me either. You can have a whole 45 minute album with 1 45 minute song. Or a double album with just a few yet it’s an hour and a half. I don’t know what my point is other than I think the number of songs thing is kind of a red herring for me.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  08:57:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a mini-album
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  10:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's definitely one of his concept albums
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  10:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, the song Seven Fingers is another that refers to the Selkie Bride, I think.

It's amazing that Seven Fingers has become my favorite song on that album just since we started playing this round of Survivor.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  12:36:05  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is no doubt, no matter how you slice it, SVN is great. I just wish it had the Charles Normal mix of Seus on it. I have my own iTunes playlist version of it that does though. I also made an expanded SVN that included a bunch of the castaways from abbabubba and christmass on it, which I throw on fairly often. Definitely not in line with his vision, but a much heartier listening experience for me.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  05:31:23  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What happens in a tie?

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  06:01:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What happens in a tie?

Half of each album is given the boot, so we're left with either Fast Manolero or Pisto-Raider Man
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  06:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, like most double albums, it took a while, but we finally are finished with FMRM.

Week 17 voting starts now!

Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides
Head Carrier
FMRM

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Golem
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  06:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What happens in a tie?

It's almost happened a couple times, and my thinking was we would just say goodbye to both albums at once.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  06:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My word, we've lost some good ones. OK one more heave....Pistolero!!!
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2019 :  11:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting Golem

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic