Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  09:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm disappointed that I wasn't around to try to save Honeycomb but I think it would have gone anyway. It's tough to take, especially when there are compilations still in there.

Now I'm torn between B-Sides and Christmass. I'll vote Christmass as most songs on there are on other album releases anyway. I do really like Gyaneshwar and She's My Way, but I'm slightly more nostalgic about B-Sides.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  09:51:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
B-Sides is a great album. I'd never heard any of the tracks when it came out, and I think it stands well alone as an album. If they weren't all B-sides I think it would be unnoticeable.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2019 :  21:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting Golem

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  00:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll vote Christmass to save Der Golem. I love the original tracks on Christmass but can live without the live stuff. In that regard it's more of a EP / live album hybrid.

As for B sides, while it works well as an album, those songs are all available on the singles so technically they wouldn't be erased if the album was voted off...just playing devils advocate
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  05:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monday morning update is as follows (correct me if I'm wrong):

Christmass - 5 (Active Duck, Sprite, Jeepster, Pixiestu, Stevio10)

Head Carrier - 3 (danjersey, pot, bedbug)

Golem - 1 (sdon)

Some have commented but not voted yet so far as I can tell.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2019 :  09:20:05  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay I was confused on the timing of all this, especially with the downtime. I’m voting for Christmass

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  04:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Middle of the week update

Christmass - 6

Head Carrier - 3

Golem - 1

Christmass is not on Apple Music and my disc is who knows where right now, so I have no way to listen to it other than the infraweb.

It's a weird album to be sure. And don't forget that it comes with the live DVD which I suppose counts toward the entire experience.

I think it's got the best version of Gyaneshwar out there, a very good Bullet, (I won't do a track by track thing, almost did), She's my Way is great, great version of the Water, and of course the highlight for me is Don't Get Me Wrong, definitely on my top 25 list of Charles' work.

But a lot of the stuff I could live with out, so if Christmass gets cancelled this year, which it looks like it will, I'll be okay.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  05:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gobble gobble
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  09:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote for B-Sides

I missed the first few weeks of this thread, but I would have suggested that the Two Pale Boys "remix" disc from frankblackfrancis be included among albums. It is certainly unique, and while the songs are all available elsewhere, the "reimagined" versions are not....and they're way different than the originals

For years this disc was my go-to "driving home from a (non-Charles) gig" listen. Don't like them all, but really like some...I'm a good target audience for a 15-minute version of Planet of Sound!

Too late now....wonder if it would have been voted out before Paley and Francis?
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  13:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

I vote for B-Sides

I missed the first few weeks of this thread, but I would have suggested that the Two Pale Boys "remix" disc from frankblackfrancis be included among albums. It is certainly unique, and while the songs are all available elsewhere, the "reimagined" versions are not....and they're way different than the originals

For years this disc was my go-to "driving home from a (non-Charles) gig" listen. Don't like them all, but really like some...I'm a good target audience for a 15-minute version of Planet of Sound!

Too late now....wonder if it would have been voted out before Paley and Francis?

It's one of the more unique releases in his catalogue. I actually listened to the acoustic demos a heck of a lot more than the second disc though. I would have voted Paley & Francis before it, which sort of contradicts my whole 'compilations should probably go first' attitude in most of these rounds. But hey, I just like it. Those acoustic demos to me are like a little piece of history.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  10:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we discussed adding the fbf album on the first page of the thread. Probably should have done it. I don't listen to it that much. Love the 15 minute Planet though, when I'm in the mood for it.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  03:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Les Claypool asked, "What if Christmass doesn't come this year?"

Now that the Grinches have won, what will happen in round No. 13?

Voting starts now:

Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Cult of Ray
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
FMRM
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Golem
Head Carrier
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  04:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna dive in early and observe that every single one of those records has at least 3 or 4 highpoints....except for Cult of Ray.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  05:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

I'm gonna dive in early and observe that every single one of those records has at least 3 or 4 highpoints....except for Cult of Ray.

OUCH!!!!

That hurt....
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  08:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

OUCH!!!!

That hurt....

I did skip around on that one (not every single time)
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  08:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

OUCH!!!!

That hurt....

I did skip around on that one (not every single time)

I was hoping someone would complete the reference!

A tip of the cap to you sir.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  09:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did IC go before Ray?!?

I vote Ray
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  11:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

How did IC go before Ray?!?

I vote Ray

I know this is the world we live in, but Ray is so much more listenable than our compressed friend Cindy.

Nevertheless I fully excepted Ray to get killed off early.

But do me a favor forum members: listen to Ray one last time this week before you say goodbye to him and see him sink into the melted rock from which he crawled. This album is freaking brilliant if you let it be
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  14:54:28  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I went on a Ray tear a few pages back, so I won’t repeat myself. I’m fine with it biting the dust this week. I would have been fine with it a month ago. I’m going to hold off on my vote a little this week though.

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  21:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voting Golem

Delenda est Golemo

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  00:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't appreciate Ray for a while, but something clicked after a time. Maybe it was after seeing the tremendous video for I Don't Want to Hurt You or the grooves of Creature Crawling or the amazing outro of Jesus was Right but it has enough moments for me to keep it alive. Not the album I listen to most but I respect it's stoic difference to TOTY and FB self titled.

Voting B sides this week - good album but they're available on singles.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  08:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am voting for The Cult of Ray this round.

Why you may ask?

Because we don't deserve it, and I want to put it out of its misery before it gets disparaged any further.

An entirely original Frank solo album, produced by the man himself, with a great backing band, tons of energy (way more energy than anything 2.0 obviously) and so much beauty and humor and weirdness; it deserves better. But again, I'm surprised it made it this far, so off you go little friend. Wish we had 20 more just like you.

Update:

Cult of Ray - 3

Golem - 1

B-sides - 1
Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  09:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
voting for B-Sides

as for Ray, there are a couple of beauties on there. I always thought You Ain't Me was the obvious catchiest tune on the album, but I've never seen it receive much love on here. I enjoy the lyrical delivery, with the lines running together...not to mention the artistry of the "self-congratulatory/masturbatory" rhyme...
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  10:57:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to attempt something that's never been been done before and instead of voting out an album I'm going to try and unvote an album that's already been voted back. This week I will be unvoting NSE back.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  00:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update

Cult of Ray - 3

B-sides - 2

Golem - 1

NSE - negative one (?)

Re: pot's attempt to resuscitate NSE, I suppose if more people voted to keep NSE than to vote off the next album, we could have grounds to debate this. Right now it's a moot point. UNLESS I change my vote from Ray to join pot in his quest, and then we've got a tie of sorts.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  03:21:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ray me

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  07:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Monday Update is as follows

Cult of Ray - 4

B-sides - 2

Golem - 1

NSE - pot
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  11:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NSE? WTF? I thought that was voted off already
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  11:59:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

NSE? WTF? I thought that was voted off already

No, it's an unvote back. In an unprecedented move I have decided to completely subvert the the rules and attempt to vote back an album that's already been voted off, knowing fine well it's a waste of time but nonetheless worth a punt for shits and giggles.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  13:10:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm basically trying to buy myself more time to revisit the Catholics albums; but there's just too much new music coming out all the time.

Pistolero was the first FBC album I bought from iTunes and I liked it I think. I bought all their albums on iTunes. Now I have to pay Spotify to listen to them.

I'd like to say also that the acoustic iTunes/Apple EP that FBF recorded during the Bluefinger era (I think it might have been recorded in Luxemburg with Charles Normal and Jason Carter?) but anyway I can't remember what it was called but I think it should be included.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  13:32:54  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fully support pot's unprecedented vigilante stand in this matter. Godspeed, you crazy bastard!

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  15:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies Minotaur vs FB & the C’s complete recordings
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  16:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devil's Workshop
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  00:47:20  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good picks. Minotaur: the Pixies album that turned out to be an expensive box set noone could afford. In the bin with that nonsense!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  03:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it looks like there is no saving Ray then I will probably end up changing my vote to Devil's Workshop or Show Me Your Tears.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000