Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  13:28:10  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gonna have to say Let the People Speak as well....
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  02:23:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think we should include LTPS: Gloom Prophet Mixes
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  02:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

LTPS will grab you by the pussy unless you listen to it first before voting.

That was hilarious. Thanks for LOL!

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  08:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let the People Speak

Abbabubba has so many crackers - Polly's Into Me and Virginia Reel are peak Frank and I'm always singing Il Cuchauia and Alabaster (fan theory time: this is probably about Kim). Then there are possibly the best versions of Rabbits and Dead Mans Curve, an absolute rocker in the form of Get Away Oil and then the always fun Do What You Want Gyaneshwar. The only stinker for me is The Water but that's a slightly controversial opinion. In any case, this was a glorious time in the career of Frank - his Blue/SVN fingers and NSE period - where he just seemed to be farting out songs.

God save the lonely boy that dislikes this album.

Edited by - The Maharal on 12/14/2018 08:57:47
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  08:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And with another Friday behind us week 2 of voting comes to a close.

It was neck and neck for a while, but the people have spoken (about seven people) and Let The People Speak has not survived.

I'm not going to mention anything about who I'm voting out this round yet, a) because I haven't decided, and b) because I don't want to always be the first album people here voted against.

I will say this however: I listened to Abbabubba twice this weekend from front to back, and it is a fantastic listen. So I don't think I'm voting against it this round.

Happy voting!

Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Cult of Ray
Oddballs
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
Sunday Sunny...
Snake Oil
One More Road for the Hit
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Petit Fours
Golem
NSE
Abbabubba
Indie Cindy
Head Carrier
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  11:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the passionate defence of Abbabubba and Let the People Speak! I don't disagree
with either side - it goes to show what a great black catalogue he has! But we always have to choose 1.

My next choice might be controversial but I've gone for this album not because I dislike it, quite the opposite. It has achieved a godlike status universally.

I've listened to it so many times it is ingrained to my brain. It is probably the only album I could happily give a 10 year rest to. The other albums deserve a chance to reach this status - thankfully we are a diverse bunch compared to popular opinion.

It could easily be Surfer Rosa but no, Doolittle it is.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  12:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Pray for the man in the middle, the one who got bored of Doolittle

(I'm not voting to remove it btw- I don't know the back catalogue super well so I won't vote until I've heard the majority of the albums being voted on)

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  20:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

quote:

Pray for the man in the middle, the one who got bored of Doolittle

(I'm not voting to remove it btw- I don't know the back catalogue super well so I won't vote until I've heard the majority of the albums being voted on)

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.

Haha nice pun! Another reason I've gone for Doolittle is because it is a double edged sword. Yes it's a masterpiece. But it's also used negatively to measure every release by CT since.

Pretty much every review or opinion on a new album whether it be Dog in the Sand or Indie Cindy usually starts off by denouncing it is not Doolittle in some negative undertone.

So for me, it's time to slay this minotaur Doolittle so the world can move on and judge other albums for what they are as opposed to not being Doolittle.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  00:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to vote Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day, because although I really like it I think all of the songs on there can be found on other releases in this survivor, and I actually prefer later recordings of some of the songs for the most part.

I'm sure it definitely has fans, and it does work well as a collection of songs, but as a non-official release I just don't have that affinity that I have with most of the other titles on the list.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  01:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The day Trompe was released Doolittle stopped being my favorite Pixies album, and it hasn't been in my top 5 (maybe even 10?) for quite a while.

This will be an interesting round.

I will go with pixiestu and vote off SSMVGD. A fine listen but pretty easy to vote off early.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  11:07:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't even know who some of you people are any more.

I never get bored with Pixies 1.0 albums, because I don't listen to them too much. Thoroughly enjoy the experience every time I decide to dog one out and listen to it. Last time I did that with Doolittle was down by a river, drinking a beer on my own. I hope noone heard me trying to sing along to some of it.

Still deciding on my album of choice this week.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  13:48:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll pop in for a Petit Fours. Both Grand Duchy's shake out at or near the the bottom of this list, but I think Let the People Speak is a far better record than Petit Fours.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  13:52:23  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Soooooo.... here you are. A Frank Black, and presumedly Pixies fan. Looking at that big old list there, someone is asking you to pick the worst album off that whole thing. The WORST album off the remaining list. And you're splitting hairs between Surfer Rosa and Doolittle?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you'll lose a little credibility with that pick. Unless you're just trolling. Maybe I need to re-read the posts that led up to this...

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  21:15:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm resigning from the cabinet if any of the Pixies 1.0 go before Abbabubba
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  00:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Soooooo.... here you are. A Frank Black, and presumedly Pixies fan. Looking at that big old list there, someone is asking you to pick the worst album off that whole thing. The WORST album off the remaining list. And you're splitting hairs between Surfer Rosa and Doolittle?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you'll lose a little credibility with that pick. Unless you're just trolling. Maybe I need to re-read the posts that led up to this...

Haha maybe you're right, my perception may be way off here. Not intentionally trolling and I don't think Doolittle or Surfer Rosa are the worst. My reasoning for choosing Doolittle is what it represents and how it is used to measure every release since - mostly negatively. Google any post Doolittle review and it is always mostly mentioned and compared.

It's like that super hot date you had when you were 14 and your parents were so proud yet every date after was compared unfavourably, even at your wedding! (Not you as in you personally, you as in anyone)

Ok so I'm stretching it a bit there haha, and I fully accept the basis for voting off Doolittle is flawed given that I want the other albums to be judged on their own merits (I'm not judging Doolittle for the same reasons as I want the others to be judged).

It shouldn't bother me the music media or public opinion of Doolittle but it does have an effect on the demand for which guide or band we see Charles perform live with, and with it goes the chance of seeing an FB, TOTY or Catholics show anytime soon. But what they heck, it's only music and it's all good.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  01:10:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Pixies better get their shit together or we demand a Catholics reunion! It's all Doolittle's fault for being such an influental masterpiece. Next time I'm going to vote for Bossers because my first girlfriend dumped me just before that came out.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  05:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate the strong feelings re: Doolittle. The curse of the album that's just too good?

I promise I'm not trying to be contrarian either, but there are plenty of songs on Doolittle I have been skipping for years. More than I do on Trompe or TOTY for sure.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Right now the score is

SSMVGD 2

Doolittle 1

Petit Fours 1

Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  06:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will throw my vote to Head Carrier

I understand the backlash against Indie Cindy, but feel it is a much better album.

Everything CT has released has some gems, there is no doubt, but less of these songs (Head Carrier) resonate with me than other releases.

So, Head Carrier it is.

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  00:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abbabubba
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  05:05:34  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indie Cindy.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  05:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

I understand the backlash against Indie Cindy, but feel it is a much better album.

Everything CT has released has some gems, there is no doubt, but less of these songs (Head Carrier) resonate with me than other releases.

So, Head Carrier it is.

After spending a long time thinking HC >> IC I had been revisiting Indie Cindy a lot in recent weeks. The last 5 songs are as good as anything on the earlier records, its only IC, Bagboy and Hex that drag it down for me. I also think IC would have been received a lot better if they hadn't engaged in the monumentally dumb idea to put the songs our first on 3EPs.

I still prefer HC overall (even songs I did not like for the first 6 months (e.g. Bel Esprit) work for me now big time).

So rather than ditch records I have listend to over and over I am going to go for a record I've never owned (or listened to as an album)

So long SSMVGD!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  06:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

So, Head Carrier it is.

After spending a long time thinking HC >> IC I had been revisiting Indie Cindy a lot in recent weeks. The last 5 songs are as good as anything on the earlier records, its only IC, Bagboy and Hex that drag it down for me. I also think IC would have been received a lot better if they hadn't engaged in the monumentally dumb idea to put the songs our first on 3EPs.

I still prefer HC overall (even songs I did not like for the first 6 months (e.g. Bel Esprit) work for me now big time).

So rather than ditch records I have listend to over and over I am going to go for a record I've never owned (or listened to as an album)

So long SSMVGD!

Wow, the 2.0 albums continue to divide people. It never stops. I think we all like them somewhat better than when we first had them, but we can't agree why. So interesting.

Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  09:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get onboard with binning SSMVGD..

There's a lot of stuff on the long list that I just cant find time to get into :/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  00:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SSMVGD - 4

Doolittle - 1

Petit Fours - 1

Abbabubba - 1

Head Carrier - 1

Indie Cindy - 1

Those are the latest results.

Polls for round 3 close tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  02:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never listened to SSMVGD as an album, but there are some great cuts off of it.

Constant Sorrow Man
Pan American Highway
Humboldt County Massacre

Some of my fave's.

But heck, I love COR, too, so mine is probably not the popular opinion.

Hate to see it go so soon. SSMVGD I hardly knew ya!

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  03:18:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Abbabubba
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  04:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have never listened to SSMVGD as an album, but there are some great cuts off of it.

Constant Sorrow Man
Pan American Highway
Humboldt County Massacre

Some of my fave's.

Agree re: Humboldt. Love all three versions on Complete. I always listen to all 3 in a row.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  04:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

Constant Sorrow Man
Pan American Highway
Humboldt County Massacre

Some of my fave's.

Agree re: Humboldt. Love all three versions on Complete. I always listen to all 3 in a row.

Most of these songs I know from getting promo discs. Loved listening to the b-sides on those.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  15:10:10  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So long SSMVGD!

Sorry, I'm going to go off the rails a bit into a topic that's been hashed out quite a bit on other threads already - but I do have to say I think the 2.0 records are pretty great overall. And I think IC would have been MUCH MUCH better off if not for a couple things.

1) In my opinion, Bagboy is fucking weird, and not in a good way. Besides the Seus-ish delivery (not a positive aspect of the song), it has a real ax to grind, feels petty, and it's just not much fun to listen to. I do think Charles might be pleased to hear that opinion on it though. Regardless, the order of events in those days, after years of post-reunion speculation and dreaming about new Pixies music, leading off with that release as the ice-breaker... not a great start. The Pixies aren't a singles band, and IC is definitely not an album of individual strengths - it's an AOR set of songs if there ever were one. Put it all out at once, then let people decide which ones float to the top. None of them were going to get radio play or the internet equivalent - why bother w/ a singles and EP approach?

2) The EP approach was/is flawed. Big bang, drop a whole album out of the blue - that's the way to go with something like this. Nursing it out... I hated that. As much as old guard bands want to be "hip," and randomly pop one song or another out there in today's music consumer landscape, the followers of these bands are old school, not new school. And the Pixies aren't picking up new fans with a first time run through Bagboy. They're picking up new fans from 14 year olds finding Dad's copy of Doolittle, or reading an article where the 2018 band they're into (or maybe Nirvana if they're on a research mission and 'discovering' the good stuff) namedrops Surfer Rosa or Doolittle, inspiring them to go out and turn over some stones to make some personal discoveries. Also, If you want to maintain the 'hip' aspect, most big acts these days with a big following do indeed "drop" a new surprise album - full, with no lead singles or milking it out - out of the clear blue as a preferred strategy.

All that said - I think IC is a brilliant album. Well-produced, well-written (with a few exceptions), very deeply creative, and well executed as a whole, etc. Just with a flawed marketing and release schedule, and of course, brutally poorly mastered. HC feels like the natural, pendulum-swing, underproduced rebound from that, but is also excellent. Maybe even better. Neither will make my cut for voting off the list until much later in the proceedings.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 12/21/2018 15:20:49
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  00:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gone:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day

Still surviving:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde
B-Sides
Frank Black Self-Titled
TOTY
Cult of Ray
Oddballs
Frank Black and the Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
Snake Oil
One More Road for the Hit
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Petit Fours
Golem
NSE
Abbabubba
Indie Cindy
Head Carrier

This round I'm voting off Snake Oil. Vastly inferior to One More Road For The Hit.

Happy Voting!

Edited by - Bedbug on 12/22/2018 01:04:09
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  06:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

quote:

1) In my opinion, Bagboy is fucking weird, and not in a good way. Besides the Seus-ish delivery (not a positive aspect of the song), it has a real ax to grind, feels petty, and it's just not much fun to listen to. I do think Charles might be pleased to hear that opinion on it though. Regardless, the order of events in those days, after years of post-reunion speculation and dreaming about new Pixies music, leading off with that release as the ice-breaker... not a great start. The Pixies aren't a singles band, and IC is definitely not an album of individual strengths - it's an AOR set of songs if there ever were one. Put it all out at once, then let people decide which ones float to the top. None of them were going to get radio play or the internet equivalent - why bother w/ a singles and EP approach?

Merry Christmas!

Arf, so many diverging opinions

I felt so relieved that Bagboy was the first Pixies track in the 2.0 era (counting Bam Thwock as 1.5). It felt brutal, sick, and modern, like Trompe taken a step further.
Part of my deception in IC and HC was because it wasn't as good as that first single to my ears (apart from Boom, Indie Cindy verses, and Oona). They tried to make too many songs sound "pretty".

Voting for Petits Fours

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  00:19:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm voting for Christmass, because it's Christmas. Bah humbug.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  08:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Snake Oil - 1

Petits Fours - 1

Christmass - 1
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  00:11:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems we have a tie-break situation
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  00:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be willing to change my vote to Christmass.

DGMW is one of the best things he’s ever done, but not enough to save Chrostmass
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000