Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Kim (briefly) comments on leaving the Pixies.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2018 :  21:41:20  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Yeah anyway. Kim fans can still listen to Bagboy and hear her (uncredited) chorus

Yeah that sounds like a Kim fan... giving her credit for something she didn't actually do... ;)
Go to Top of Page

trevgreg
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  06:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Yeah that sounds like a Kim fan... giving her credit for something she didn't actually do... ;)

I read a review where the guy was bashing either EP 1 or Indie Cindy, and he talked about how traumatic it was hearing Bagboy on the radio realizing it was a new Pixies song, and then hearing KIM come in on the chorus.

I had to write him back and say "If you did any research on this article whatsoever, you would have realized..." etc. etc. about the Kim thing.
Go to Top of Page

trevgreg
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  06:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

They are a band, but their (collective) creativity is rather poor unfortunately, except for some flashes. Sure, BF still can come up with great chord progressions and lyrics (more on IC than HC), sure Joey can compose great riffs. But something is missing. They do not challenge themselves as much as before, they have lost their avant-gardist take and make do with what's comfortable for them.
I think Kim's contribution was much more than 2 songs out of 5 albums. She was the muse AND the critic, she was the one who pushed BF to excel and to trash average songs. In addition to having a huge stage presence.
I've been in bands, I know some members can be a pain in the ass to work with, but geniuses all the same. I think Kim's solo work or some of her Breeders songs have kept that indie vibe that Pixies have lost. If they could all grow up, and acknowledge and accept their respective strengths and weaknesses, they could be once again the greatest rock band alive.
--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

I see this argument on a lot of message boards for bands out there. Somehow one person who isn't there anymore was the critic or the moderating force behind a band, and so on. Smashing Pumpkins fans are assigning that sort of thing on Darcy nowadays and talking about how that's why the new music isn't up to par, isn't experimental/avant-garde, etc.

I don't know... I guess I have a hard time thinking that these bands aren't doing anything different from what they were before in a huge way. Or that somehow all these bands had their songwriting abilities go off a cliff around the turn of the century (which, coincidentally, is when the Internet was really starting to take off for discussing these things). Although I don't buy albums as much anymore, I still give music a chance by people I've previously enjoyed listening to. And more often than not, I still find some things to like and take away from it. If I don't for the rest, I shrug and move on. Even if they did a 180 on whatever it was they were doing, I doubt my reaction would be a whole lot different, honestly.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  13:21:33  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The main reason why bands sound different today than they did 30 years ago is because those people change. These songwriters are in completely different stages and places in their lives, we shouldn't expect things to stay the same forever. Now, whether what they're doing now is as good, better, or worse than previous works made when they were decades younger and in a completely different stage of mind/life/etc, that's subjective and debatable. But saying the reason why a band isn't "as good" as they once were is solely because a Kim or a D'arcy isn't in the band in anymore is just too simplistic to me.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  16:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Another pause. "I think that the girl who is actually the bass player now would have a problem with me showing up."

But Kim, "the girl who is actually the bass player now" wrote a song about you, her idea, her lyrics, in your honor. Maybe she wouldn't have a problem? How would we know?

A not so subtle dis.

It's clear that Deal miscalculated. I'm sure she thought the Pixies wouldn't last long without her. Here they are, still playing in front of large, enthusiastic crowds. I'm also sure that Thompson is glad to be rid of her.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  09:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's still got credibility though.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  00:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually I think Fissile is 99% wrong but this time I think he could be 10% right.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  18:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like 2018 was a good year for the Breeders.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  01:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see KD as a machiavellous and manipulative individual.
Not giving a shit and leaving the band high and dry in the middle of a recording session like a teenager, OK. But calculating her way out like Fissile said ? Nah.

We all know they're shitty communicators. So it probably just happened the way the band described it. -"I'm leaving"... -"Oh ok. Bye.".

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 12/18/2018 01:55:51
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  02:02:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still not heard The Breeders cover of Gates Of Steel
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  06:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fissile said, "I'm also sure that Thompson is glad to be rid of her."

I agree, but in a "Fitzgerald" sort of way.

Listen to that song and think of Mrs. John Murphy.

"Though you are so loved, it had to come to this..."
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  10:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She tried to dance the super slo-mo. She ended up in limbo so low. She's afraid of a bite that was bitten. She's afraid of volumes unwritten. She's afraid... at least that's what I say.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  11:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good one.

The ol’ black eyed mannequin
Go to Top of Page

Fitzy
- FB Fan -

Portugal
86 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  12:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great Breeders album, though.

Even if Kim is the ol' black eyed mannequin (thanks for the laughs, The Maharal and Bedbug:), All Nerve is a very strong showing from her and sets a high bar that I'm not sure both Kim and Charles will be able to match or surpass.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  13:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, All Nerve was fantastic and the Breeders’ live shows have been great on this past tour. If Kim had to leave Pixies to create an album that good, then I’m glad she did.

Kim was probably being dismissive of Pixies because it’s annoying to constantly be asked about them when she’s trying to discuss her own music. FB could get bitchy when interviewers asked about Pixies before they got back together, too. Now Pixies got their good thing and Kim’s got hers (am I doing this lyrics thing right)?

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  14:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the forum agree that All Nerve is a superior listen than either IC or HC?
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  16:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I’m fond of IC and HC but neither of them have Spacewoman. All Nerve does. So yeah, it’s better.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  17:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ummm...no way, not even close. I do not know where all of this love for the Breeders comes from that average, at best record. Pod was and is the best that Kim Deal can possibly do, along with a few songs from Last Splash. From a top to bottom record perspective, there are way more better songs on IC or HC alone than All Nerve.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  20:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't listened to All Nerve but my passion for the Pixies is not related to KD at all. KD is probably good, but comparing her to the guy from Wonderland ? Here ? Are you serious ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  01:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont really compare All Nerve and HC at all, both good albums without needing a dogfight.

But, if you have to compare, then neither is as good as Dove
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  04:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bravo

quote:

Ummm...no way, not even close. I do not know where all of this love for the Breeders comes from that average, at best record. Pod was and is the best that Kim Deal can possibly do, along with a few songs from Last Splash. From a top to bottom record perspective, there are way more better songs on IC or HC alone than All Nerve.

Breeders have their small fan-base, but the reality is that the Breeders will not stand the test of time. The Pixies are now legend, and will be remembered the way the Velvet Underground is remembered. Kim contributed her bit, even though she was, and remains, clueless as to how or why. Regardless, she does deserve some credit for being a good sport about it for as long as she did.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  07:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bravo

quote:

Breeders have their small fan-base, but the reality is that the Breeders will not stand the test of time. The Pixies are now legend, and will be remembered the way the Velvet Underground is remembered. Kim contributed her bit, even though she was, and remains, clueless as to how or why. Regardless, she does deserve some credit for being a good sport about it for as long as she did.

I think when it's all said and done, Charles will be seen as a legend, and 1.0, 2.0, Catholics, et. al. as people who got to play with a legend.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  11:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
History will be all about Pixies 1.0 - the Catholics, Breeders, 2.0 etc. will all be footnotes.
And, it's a crime but no-one will really remember FB or TOTY. Such is life.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5993 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  07:48:29  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All Nerve is good, my problem with it is that it's just the same record again.
Pod, Title Tk, Mountain Battles and All Nerve all sound more or less the same.
Last Splash and Pacer are not that unique too.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000