Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  06:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.ticketnews.com/2018/10/weezer-announces-release-of-the-black-album/

I realize that Weezer are big fans of our man, but to name their entire next album after Frank Black is really something!

Hopefully it's all FBF covers.

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  07:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it’s gonna be an entire concept album about him! Like Bluefinger but less depressing.

...at least that’s how it would be in an ideal world. Weezer released the lead single already and it’s about Uber.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  08:50:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's hope it's better than the Metallica version.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  09:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one wondering what this second tour with Weezer is all about besides sentimentality and money? I could see this happening once, but a second time? I don't get it. Could they at least have switched so that Pixies are headlining this time around? My only solace would be the announcement of new material (that doesn't sound anything remotely like the new Weezer single).

-oddball

Edited by - oddball on 10/11/2018 09:23:10
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  09:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think touring with Weezer is a great way- possibly the ideal way- for Pixies to reach a younger audience and expand their fan base. The average teenager has no idea who Pixies are, but will gladly sing along to any Weezer hit- even the crappy ones. I know people who started listening to Pixies after finding out about them through the Weezer connection on the last tour. Whether or not this was intentional on Pixies’ part, it’s pretty ingenious.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  10:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken, Jeepster. I'm sorry for coming across like a grumpy old man. Perhaps I'm entirely alone in thinking that this is the worst possible Pixies news imaginable (short of releasing new music that sounds like the new Weeezer). The timing just seems very strange. For me, this equates with the Beatles opening for a band that got its foot in the door by sounding like the Beatles, but then sounds nothing like them and "drags" them along on tour for the hell of it. I am all in favor of the PIxies broadening their fan base, but think they are way too good for this avenue/approach for doing so.
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  10:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally understand your disappointment. I’m no Weezer fan myself, and I think it’s an absolute disgrace that Pixies are opening for them and not the other way around.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pixies are playing the long game, though. They go on a couple tours that are beneath them and find a bunch of shiny new fans. And to make sure the older fans know they’re still appreciated too, they play the upcoming Pilgrim/Surfer shows. They get plenty of money, presumably used by Joey to buy cool hats. Then Pixies release a new album to the newly-reinvigorated fan base, which includes new fans who aren’t all jaded by nostalgia and won’t immediately dismiss the album on account of no Kim or not being a track-by-track remake of Doolittle or whatever.

...or maybe they’re just really good friends with the Weezer guys?

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  13:10:12  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the last tour was really successful, and from what I saw and read from the band members via internet/social media, it looked like both bands and their families had a fun time touring together. So... more success and another fun tour for the band? Don’t blame them one single bit.

Of course, if it were all about me, it would be a solo theater tour promoting a brand new album that we just got an amazing first single from. But it’s not that. So I’m ok waiting for that album and that tour, and I’m ok with them going out in another leg of a very successful and fun tour for them.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  15:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, any Pixies tour is better than none. sometime they'll release some new music, and until then they'll still have my ticket money whenever they play near me!

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  17:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is kind of weird. The thing is with Pixies it's not like they need more exposure. They're a legendary indie rock band well known by people all over the globe. If they enjoy this type of tour more power to them though. But I wouldnt buy a ticket myself. I thought Weezer was doing some good stuff a few years ago but it seems they've resorted back to the mainstream radio sounding stuff, etc.

Edited by - Skatealex1 on 10/11/2018 18:13:29
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2018 :  21:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll chime in and say that I too am not that into Weezer, not that into the idea of Frank and Friends touring with them again, especially if the setlists are going to be what they were this year, basically best of stuff.

Glad Frank's making money. Glad Joey et. al. are living the dream. Glad some kids in middle America are getting to hear our man. But I have no plans to buy a ticket to any of these shows.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  07:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're right to do so. Even if it's not exciting for us here. But if they respond to what the majority their main audience wants, that's cool. I'd love more new songs, more Trompe/Bossa songs, a tour for Teenager of the Year 25th in 2019. But we all know this is not going to happen, right ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  07:49:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pixies supporting Weezer is like The Rolling Stones supporting One Direction.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  08:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My initial reaction is 'what, again?' and kind of dismiss it. But then I realise the Catholics aren't coming back, TOTY and Bluefinger etc were phases and it's likely the Pixies won't be around forever either (although after all these years it feels like they have!)

Who knows, in 5-10 years these songs may never be performed live again. I try to embrace and appreciate the now and not let it be debased by my yearning for Catholics circa 2001 - as hard as that may be!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  04:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I felt the same way about Pixies opening up for U2.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  04:27:23  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Good point, but I'd say this analogy is only relevant to the post Rattle & Hum neverending shitfest of the U2 progression.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  04:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Good point, but I'd say this analogy is only relevant to the post Rattle & Hum neverending shitfest of the U2 progression.

You may very well be right, I don't know enough U2 to comment either way.

I just think the Pixies fit in with U2 about as well as Spinal Tap fit in at the Air Force base.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  05:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies & FB are top of the tree for me but I'd rather listen to U2 than Weezer.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  06:44:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Pixies & FB are top of the tree for me but I'd rather listen to U2 than Weezer.

I've always considered Weezer to be a fairly throway, generic pop/rock band. Instantly accessible music for the non-discerning listener. All I really know about them is the Buddy Holly song and pie and beans though.

Early U2 is in a whole different league. These days though they're a complete embarassment and should just retire before they release any more shit albums.

Edited by - pot on 10/17/2018 06:44:56
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  06:47:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You may very well be right, I don't know enough U2 to comment either way.

The Joshua Tree is probably in my top ten albums of all time. All the rest before it are also great, The Unforgettable Fire.
Go to Top of Page

trevgreg
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  06:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Early U2 is in a whole different league. These days though they're a complete embarassment and should just retire before they release any more shit albums.

Their 2015 album was actually pretty good, I thought. Their last one in 2017 had two singles that featured the same G-D-A-Bm chord progression though, which was the closest time I thought they strayed too hard to lazy songwriting.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  05:32:43  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://alt929boston.com/contests/were-sending-you-to-see-weezer-the-pixies-in-vegas/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  20:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that anyone here cares, but Weezer’s release of the Teal album? Billie Jean? That’s gonna fit nicely with Nimrod’s Son.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  05:19:45  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Caught this tour last year... it was ok. The Pixies set was kind of by-the-numbers. It was basically an abridged version of the same show they headlined for Head Carrier tour. Which itself was a slightly updated version of the ongoing reunion tour that's been rolling along for over a decade. Very predictable setlist. If you'd never seen them, or hadn't seen them recently in particular, it was probably fantastic. I saw several people really digging it. For me it was kind of like seeing the highlights of a show I already recently saw.

The Pixies aren't the Grateful Dead - they don't vary the performance of the individual songs enough (or at all) to keep me coming back again and again for the same setlists. Don't get me wrong, I love it. Just wish there was a little more variety and deep cuts.

As for Weezer... I'm not a big Weezer fan, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the first two albums. I've revisited here and there through the years. I thought the Everything Will Be Alright album was quite good though, so I grabbed the white album when it came out. And immediately regretted it on first listen. Anyway, as a fan of their first 2 when I was a teenager, and being someone who had never seen them before, I really enjoyed the first half of the show. I started losing interest though after awhile.

I'm looking forward to the next Pixies headlining tour, although who knows when the next one of those will be. I'll skip the Weezer + Pixies tour this time around. I assume they're combining efforts w/ Weezer so they can play bigger venues. On their own, in my neck of the woods anyway, they can only pull off medium-sized venues.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  02:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More coverage of Pixies upcoming tour and new album

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/weezer-pixies-tv-on-the-radio-msg/amp/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  01:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How to get 10% off your Weezer Pixies Tix apparently

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/amp/27899288/weezer-pixies-head-madison-square-garden
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  00:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Win free tickets here

https://madison.com/entertainment/win-tickets-to-the-weezer-pixies-show-at-the-coliseum/html_93af4344-3853-11e9-aecf-ef3c2b2fa840.html#//
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  03:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a26590113/weezer-fortnite-song-log-off/

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  10:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, if I were thinking of staying for the Weezer half of the concert?
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  02:36:42  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/03/05/weezer-pixies-start-2019-tour-louisville-kentucky-at-kfc-yum-center/3053407002/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  05:01:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh god I just listened to Black Album! What an absolute, utter basket of hairy road apples

How can the Pixies be actually, seriously considering and actually touring with them as their support!

Edited by - pot on 03/08/2019 05:02:23
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  03:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their cover album is amazing. Not in a good way though.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  06:30:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

___
"Service Unavailable"

I heard their cover of Toto's Africa. It's quite good actually, but it just sounds exactly the same as the original.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  14:21:19  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

lol

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  03:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I heard their cover of Toto's Africa. It's quite good actually, but it just sounds exactly the same as the original.

Yeah. It's amazingly pointless.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  17:22:14  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.louisville.com/content/weezer-pixies-louisville-photo-gallery-tour-concert

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000