New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  01:52:57  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.nme.com/news/music/pixies-announce-london-roundhouse-residency-30-years-surfer-rosa-tickets-2298073

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  02:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.seetickets.com/tour/pixies

£50 each. Quite pricey but I got one. But if they are reading this I WOULD RATHER A NEW ALBUM....
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  02:04:15  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8slFH4i5mc

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  02:32:11  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6101985/pixies-2018-uk-tour-tickets-dates-prices-roundhouse-london-gigs/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  02:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now wondering how they hell do they do Gigantic.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  02:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So they are releasing CoP and SR as one album?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  03:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been sold as a combined CD for quite a while. Actually I don't know if COP was ever released on CD. I had them both on vinyl back in the day.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  03:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those two album covers make them seem like one album anyway, or a double album. Plus they sound so similar.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  04:10:20  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a COP CD, but it was bought after I lost or wore out COP/Surfer Rosa a couple of times.

This would be a good time for 4AD to release a Pure Audio Blu Ray version to match Doolittle!!!
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  05:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Crowd sing along gets my vote.

Or Dave.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  09:16:49  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe they just play video of Kim doing Gigantic from one of her recent Breeders gigs and the band go backstage for a pee break while it plays.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  04:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess that means no new album this year if the promotion of these shows are to go by.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  05:03:20  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stevio10 new álbum is in the works.The special shows in London are most likely a celebration before they go on their holidays vacation with their families as they always do.They'll have plenty of time to tour the new récord in the summer and hopefully play more COP + S.Rosa shows around the world.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  05:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not seen anything to suggest a tour (yet) - could be that these 5 shows are a one-off fund raiser to pay for studio time/next album stuff :/

Does this mean there is the possibility of a Bossa/Trompe night at some point in the future?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  06:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey posted an advert for the shows on twitter saying 'coming to a city near ye'
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  08:14:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Crowd sing along gets my vote.

Or Dave.

I got drunk and sang the chorus lines to Gigantic one night at The Rat Pack piano bar in Edinburgh. Guy on the piano doing covers: I asked for Pixies, turned out he was a massive fan and did 5 Pixies songs that night including All Over The World.

Singing along drunk to Gigantic is enormous fun and I think this kind of dynamic would work well in the Roundhouse.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  14:41:35  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A Kim Hologram? Don't think so,they don't follow trends :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Edited by - pixie punk on 04/21/2018 14:42:19
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does this mean there is the possibility of a Bossa/Trompe night at some point in the future?

No. Goal is to fill venues.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  03:31:34  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'd say there's a market for that too.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  04:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think so, The Fax Anniversary tour. With EDF.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  00:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'd say those albums are nearly equally disregarded by the standard Pixies audience than FB solo work.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  01:56:14  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'd say those albums are nearly equally disregarded by the standard Pixies audience than FB solo work.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'd say there are enough fans of those albums to do anniversary tours.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  02:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://4ad.co/PIXIES30th

In addition to these special shows, 4AD will be releasing a 30th Anniversary deluxe edition of the album entitled Come On Pilgrim...it’s Surfer Rosa on August 24th 2018. More information to be released soon.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  03:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome troll title.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  08:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo... Fingers crossed for something new!!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  09:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, not a fan of that marketing move, although it does remind me of that sticker that was on the Orangelo album.

There was a while there where they could have marketed the band by saying "the Pixies do little"
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  21:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Come On Pilgrim...it’s Surfer Rosa
Would this not be the perfect time to release "Watch What You're Doing"?

If not now, then never.
If the only copy is by now unplayable, should they re-record it?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  22:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea.

And the Trompe "widow tracks" as a bonus.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  01:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've not seen anything to suggest a tour (yet) - could be that these 5 shows are a one-off fund raiser to pay for studio time/next album stuff :/

We have had nearly all COP & SR songs through every reunion show so far since 2004. I'm going to the roundhouse but I hope they play new stuff too.
It will be a great few nights i'm sure, but I personally would much rather bossa & trompe played in full just for variations sake.
Unfortunately the lazy narrative is that these two and Doolittle are the definitive Pixies, which is total crap of course but lazy writers stalk the land.

Hopefully we will some new stuff before Nov 18.....

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  04:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

We have had nearly all COP & SR songs through every reunion show so far since 2004. I'm going to the roundhouse but I hope they play new stuff too.
It will be a great few nights i'm sure, but I personally would much rather bossa & trompe played in full just for variations sake.
Unfortunately the lazy narrative is that these two and Doolittle are the definitive Pixies, which is total crap of course but lazy writers stalk the land.

Hopefully we will some new stuff before Nov 18.....

Well said Sam.

Hope you enjoy the show, and please any one who goes please give us your reports.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5993 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  05:12:02  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

___
"Service Unavailable"

This is not the case if you ask me. Bossa and Trompe are canon. The reunited Pixies don’t focus on those records for personal reasons. The band was under pressure and eventuele falling apart falling apart during 1990-1993. Reviews and adoration from fans were still sky high. Rightfully so.

It’s just easier (mentally and technically) to play songs from the first records. Marketing and lazy journalism resulted in SR and Doolittle are the two classics. I have never read that statement before 2004.

Maybe I’m wrong though.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  05:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bossanova had just come out right when I first became a fan, and everything I heard was basically "not as good as Surfer and Doolittle." At the time I agreed.

When Trompe came out and me and my friends bought it at Record Town, we liked it, and reviews at the time were positive, but again there was a lot of "SR and D are the best."

Now of course I think Trompe is probably his / their single best album. But it seems like a lot of the songs are not a fit with 2.0, or even with the revived 1.0 in 2004.

Whatever the circumstances of those songs, and whatever they meant to FB and company at the time, I'm guessing all of us have thought about them / listened to them 1000s of times more than they have. (That's what I think every time I listen to Fazer Eyes. He's played it live like what, fewer than 10 times? if that? And I listen to it every week since 94).

If they do do a Trompe anniversary tour they absolutely should have EDF as a member of the band. And still people will be yelling for HCYM or whatever else they heard on the radio at the dentist.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  22:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

This is not the case if you ask me. Bossa and Trompe are canon. The reunited Pixies don’t focus on those records for personal reasons. The band was under pressure and eventuele falling apart falling apart during 1990-1993. Reviews and adoration from fans were still sky high. Rightfully so.

It’s just easier (mentally and technically) to play songs from the first records. Marketing and lazy journalism resulted in SR and Doolittle are the two classics. I have never read that statement before 2004.

Maybe I’m wrong though.

I wasn't including myself in the standard Pixies audience. Trompe Le Monde is a fucking masterpiece (regardless how it was recorded) and Bossa is not far behind.

I never really understood why they discarded many of the best tracks from those albums since the reunion. Maybe they need keyboards on them. Or a second guitar. Or they just base their judgment on crowd reaction, discarding the least crowd-shaking numbers (like they did with some IC songs). Maybe it would be a cruel disappointment to hear modern renditions of Bird Dream, Letter to Memphis, Palae of the Brine or Trompe Le Monde. Maybe they took the right decision leaving those songs alone ? I don't know. I still consider those as the Holy Grail.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  00:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Maybe I’m wrong though.

I wasn't including myself in the standard Pixies audience. Trompe Le Monde is a fucking masterpiece (regardless how it was recorded) and Bossa is not far behind.

I never really understood why they discarded many of the best tracks from those albums since the reunion. Maybe they need keyboards on them. Or a second guitar. Or they just base their judgment on crowd reaction, discarding the least crowd-shaking numbers (like they did with some IC songs). Maybe it would be a cruel disappointment to hear modern renditions of Bird Dream, Letter to Memphis, Palae of the Brine or Trompe Le Monde. Maybe they took the right decision leaving those songs alone ? I don't know. I still consider those as the Holy Grail.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Can't judge a crowd response if you don't play it. I can't help feeling they're going to need to play some of that stuff they've been avoiding if only to stop the live show becoming completely stale.
There are only 2 songs across Pilgrim/SR/DL that I've not already seen them play and I'm assuming they're going to play them in these dates. As much as I like seeing them, who's going to keeping spending to see the same set over and over?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  08:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Maybe I’m wrong though.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Trompe indeed is a masterpiece. Of interest is how old Subbacultcha is and the fact that he was able to incorporate it into this new perfect piece of work. Just the sort of stuff that David Lynch does with his films.

And great point about "cruel disappointment." Few lives versions of Motorway do it for me the way the studio version does. Maybe better to let some of Trompe lay hidden away like the grail.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  08:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Maybe I’m wrong though.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Can't judge a crowd response if you don't play it. I can't help feeling they're going to need to play some of that stuff they've been avoiding if only to stop the live show becoming completely stale.
There are only 2 songs across Pilgrim/SR/DL that I've not already seen them play and I'm assuming they're going to play them in these dates. As much as I like seeing them, who's going to keeping spending to see the same set over and over?

If they would just sprinkle in some FB tunes that would do the trick too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000