Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  07:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose Trompe le Monde is a very, very loose sci-fi concept album, but I would love a good old-fashioned narrative album. Denis, I’m gonna give that album a listen, seems awesome.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  07:58:52  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There’s always Lenny White Presents The Adventures of Astral Pirates, which is pretty much the last word in sci-fi concept albums. And probably the last word in Lenny White albums for that matter...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  09:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

There’s always Lenny White Presents The Adventures of Astral Pirates, which is pretty much the last word in sci-fi concept albums. And probably the last word in Lenny White albums for that matter...

Love that one! And we’ve got to mention Ziggy Stardust and Parliament-Funkadelic of course. Janelle Monáe’s concept albums are brilliant too. sci-fi concept albums are so damn fun.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  11:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moon Safari by Air is my favourite sci fi concept album. Love concept albums in general, Golem was awesome and Sufjan Stevens has done a few greats.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  11:33:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Moon Safari by Air is my favourite sci fi concept album. Love concept albums in general, Golem was awesome and Sufjan Stevens has done a few greats.

Well then all album are concept albums. Hang on, I think we need to define exactly what a concept album is?

"A concept album is an album by an artist that contains three or more songs which have a strong inter-relationship that also has some relevance to the title and/or sleeve design for album"

Agree with Air though. And the 10 kHz Leg end album that came out after that, is that not also a concept album? Takes me back to Guildford train station on the way from Reading to Portsmouth for a job interview testing space electronics to go to Mars, and O' Neills Irish pub.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  22:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Well then all album are concept albums. Hang on, I think we need to define exactly what a concept album is?

"A concept album is an album by an artist that contains three or more songs which have a strong inter-relationship that also has some relevance to the title and/or sleeve design for album"

Agree with Air though. And the 10 kHz Leg end album that came out after that, is that not also a concept album? Takes me back to Guildford train station on the way from Reading to Portsmouth for a job interview testing space electronics to go to Mars, and O' Neills Irish pub.

Yeah, maybe we can start this topic by giving some examples of what is definitely not a concept album.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  01:55:13  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Yeah, maybe we can start this topic by giving some examples of what is definitely not a concept album.

This is a huge rabbit hole that would probably need its own thread. It’s a super subjective definition, and one that requires a ton of caveats and a generous sliding scale.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  03:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

This is a huge rabbit hole that would probably need its own thread. It’s a super subjective definition, and one that requires a ton of caveats and a generous sliding scale.

Agreed.

Which is why I said that Frank has been doing concept albums since at least Tromple Le Monde.

In fact, Surfer Rosa is enough of a concept album for me to count it as such. Sounds like one big crazy song to me.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  11:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In fact, Surfer Rosa is enough of a concept album for me to count it as such. Sounds like one big crazy song to me.
[/quote]

a concept album about what, exactly?

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  13:22:57  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can’t get down with Surfer Rosa as a concept album. By that definition, basically any album is a concept album: Greatest Hits - what’s the concept? Hits. Beach boys early albums? Surfing concept albums? I gotta draw the line somewhere around here, with one or both of the following being true:

1) the artist says it’s a concept album
2) there is a common, intentional lyrical thread either thematic or story, to some or all of the songs. But songs about similar topics doesn’t necessarily make it a “concept” album.

Examples of obvious, clear cut concept albums:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Passion Play
Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Final Cut

Examples of loose concepts, maybe with some or several songs totally unrelated to the “concept,” but still probably a “concept album” either due to strength of theme or the artist implying it’s a concept:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Black Francis - Bluefinger
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
Kinks - Lola vs Powerman

Albums that are objectively not concept albums:

Most albums in general
All Pixies albums
Any singles, hits, or other compilation

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 01/20/2019 13:28:12
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  20:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

quote:

a concept album about what, exactly?

[/quote]

About incestuous unions and biblical violence

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  21:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile theres a photo of Pixies gear on their official twitter page showing a 12 string epiphone.

Has BF ever played a 12 string ?

Maybe this is the concept of the new record ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  04:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can’t get down with Surfer Rosa as a concept album. By that definition, basically any album is a concept album: Greatest Hits - what’s the concept? Hits. Beach boys early albums? Surfing concept albums? I gotta draw the line somewhere around here, with one or both of the following being true:

1) the artist says it’s a concept album
2) there is a common, intentional lyrical thread either thematic or story, to some or all of the songs. But songs about similar topics doesn’t necessarily make it a “concept” album.

Examples of obvious, clear cut concept albums:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Passion Play
Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Final Cut

Examples of loose concepts, maybe with some or several songs totally unrelated to the “concept,” but still probably a “concept album” either due to strength of theme or the artist implying it’s a concept:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Black Francis - Bluefinger
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
Kinks - Lola vs Powerman

Albums that are objectively not concept albums:

Most albums in general
All Pixies albums
Any singles, hits, or other compilation

Didn't have time to check OED right now, but if concept means something like "an abstract idea, a general notion," then I would say Surfer Rosa has a general notion to it.

Of course I agree that works like Bluefinger and Golem are much more outright "concept albums," but I wouldn't want to exclude Surfer.

Wikipedia: "A concept album is an album in which its tracks hold a larger purpose or meaning collectively than they do individually. This is typically achieved through a single central narrative or theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, or lyrical."

That makes me think of Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde.

Regardless, I just want to be able to hear the new album clearly.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  07:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is compression a concept ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  08:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Meanwhile theres a photo of Pixies gear on their official twitter page showing a 12 string epiphone.

___
"Service Unavailable"

There's 12-string guitar on HC, and likely buried nicely in the overall mix of many other Pixies tracks.

It could be either FBF or Joey playing it. Or, come to think of it, these days it could be Paz as well...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Jeepster
- FB Fan -

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  09:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

There's 12-string guitar on HC, and likely buried nicely in the overall mix of many other Pixies tracks.

It could be either FBF or Joey playing it. Or, come to think of it, these days it could be Paz as well...

--

I think Joey played a 12-string guitar on Here Comes Your Man, layered with a bunch of other guitars.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  09:58:54  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

--

I think Joey played a 12-string guitar on Here Comes Your Man, layered with a bunch of other guitars.

-----------------------

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/pixies/here-comes-your-man

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  01:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was listening to Zen Arcade on the bus earlier and it got me thinking that a Pixies concept album would be really cool. Maybe a sci-fi epic.

Bluefinger might be about as close as we'll ever get. I'm under the assumption, right or wrong, that intentions, at least at first, were for those songs to make up a Pixies album.

I can't recall now if it was Charles or Kim but either one or both of them said the new stuff he was trying to write for the band was sounding 'fakey' so they didn't do a Pixies album, and we got this instead. Which, imo, is right up there with the very best of anything FBF has ever put out. In my personal top 5.

Agreed Jonny!!! great record.

With the Pixies would have been incredible.

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  03:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs-rv4fHveg/?hl=en
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  08:09:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got done cranking Head Carrier on vinyl. Man, it’s a really great record. I’m excited to see what’s next.

I like IC, but it’s... well, everyone has an opinion. I find it to be of a much higher quality than a lot of folks around these parts. But if IC was overthought, overwrought, and saddled with the Deal fiasco undercurrent, HC was a breath of fresh air. They sound much more comfortable, the songs for the most part don’t feel forced, and they sound like they’re having fun. And it’s good. They have Paz playing the character of “Kim Deal” a bit, but that’s okay.

For the next one I’m assuming they’ll be settled in even more, and I’m looking forward to some fun and some surprises.

Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2019 :  15:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just got done cranking Head Carrier on vinyl. Man, it’s a really great record. I’m excited to see what’s next.

I like IC, but it’s... well, everyone has an opinion. I find it to be of a much higher quality than a lot of folks around these parts. But if IC was overthought, overwrought, and saddled with the Deal fiasco undercurrent, HC was a breath of fresh air. They sound much more comfortable, the songs for the most part don’t feel forced, and they sound like they’re having fun. And it’s good. They have Paz playing the character of “Kim Deal” a bit, but that’s okay.

For the next one I’m assuming they’ll be settled in even more, and I’m looking forward to some fun and some surprises.

Thank you! Finally, somebody looking past all of the BS and just seeing things for what they are. They are just a rock band and have always done things pretty much "blue collar". They were and are so heavily critiqued because nobody can sound like them period. I can't speak for anybody else, but to me in this day in time, I love their new material. I was excited when IC came out, and HC as well. I absolutely love some songs on both as much as some songs on the previous albums. We can't go back in time, and we can't go forward in time. Our feelings and our thoughts were different back then compared to now, it's that simple. This coincides with the Pixies as well. They are not in their 20's anymore, so there just isn't as much angst, they are not as angry, I am not as angry so it is what it is. That is really the only noticeable difference in some of the new recordings that I can relate to and it's truly ok. Not to mention the musical landscape/attitudes in the late 80's early 90's compared to say 2012/2013. When I try to think about it in general it's just not even remotely close. There used to be "musicians", and a good number of great one's for decades, modern day does not include that any longer. Pixies are one of the few remaining, and everyone should be counting their blessings for that alone.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  01:19:36  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they’ll keep going with the album initials pattern, IC, HC... GC? Maybe, “Go Canoeing.” Or “Gift Card.” Or “Gonad Church.”

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  02:13:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ginger Cockwomble
Galactic Crematorium
Gooseberry Cake
Germanium Corbynista
Ganymede Children
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  02:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GigantiC
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  02:53:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see what you did there
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  03:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Ginger Cockwomble
Galactic Crematorium
Gooseberry Cake
Germanium Corbynista
Ganymede Children

Ganymede Children could be a sequel to Andro Queen

--
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  05:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's Gun Cotton then that would make a lot of sense
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  07:06:59  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Call
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  07:12:55  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Good Call

Outstanding!

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  07:15:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Ginger Cockwomble
Galactic Crematorium
Gooseberry Cake
Germanium Corbynista
Ganymede Children

Ganymede Children could be a sequel to Andro Queen

--

Or an episode of The Expanse
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  06:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bravo

Thank you! Finally, somebody looking past all of the BS and just seeing things for what they are. They are just a rock band and have always done things pretty much "blue collar". They were and are so heavily critiqued because nobody can sound like them period. I can't speak for anybody else, but to me in this day in time, I love their new material. I was excited when IC came out, and HC as well. I absolutely love some songs on both as much as some songs on the previous albums. We can't go back in time, and we can't go forward in time. Our feelings and our thoughts were different back then compared to now, it's that simple. This coincides with the Pixies as well. They are not in their 20's anymore, so there just isn't as much angst, they are not as angry, I am not as angry so it is what it is. That is really the only noticeable difference in some of the new recordings that I can relate to and it's truly ok. Not to mention the musical landscape/attitudes in the late 80's early 90's compared to say 2012/2013. When I try to think about it in general it's just not even remotely close. There used to be "musicians", and a good number of great one's for decades, modern day does not include that any longer. Pixies are one of the few remaining, and everyone should be counting their blessings for that alone.

Amen.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  01:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous Chauffage

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  04:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grosse Connerie...? (hey, Frank is a francophile after all)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 02/04/2019 04:09:05
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  00:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodbye Charles
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  00:38:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George Cruss
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000