Page: of 17

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  01:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, let's compile the current rumors

- According to some interviews (often Paz), a new album is in the works
- Someone on this forum supposedly heard that the Rockfield studios in england have been booked in early 2018
- Charles said to some journalist last year that he'd like his next record to be produced by both Dalgery and Norton

As for the songs, nothing new on the BMI catalog, but there's still many unreleased "new" songs in the list. We already know some of them as official/unofficial demos/raw versions or short live snippets (Super Lecker), but not all of them.

ALICE PRIN	                14843364
BANKS OF THE DRAIN	        14843409
LAND OF GREEN	                14843908
LAST NIGHT THE WOLVES CAME OUT	14843911
O LITTLE CLOUD	                14844131
PICKEREL PICKER	                14844189
RATS ALIVE	                14844230
TRANQUILIZE ME	                14844508
DOWN IN TOULON	                20616476
I LIKE TO DRIVE	                20616992
SUPER LECKER	                20617959
AMERICAN RHYME	                22096890
BOGMAN	                        22096929
SCREW PINE	                22097414

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 12/19/2017 10:03:34

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  02:12:37  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There might be a song with full Spanish lyrics.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  06:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Were zero of those 15 songs attempted in studio during IC or HC? Do any of them exist as unreleased B-sides with the full band?

2) If the only version of Super Lecker or O Little Cloud that you will be given will be a compressed version a la IC would you still want it?
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  11:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thread, thanks picpic

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  11:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like Black to just produce the thing himself. Or get Mark Mulcahy or someone involved. That said, I'll take anything that Black puts out.

Can't wait to hear whatever Bogman is. Great title. Reminds me of this little gem by another band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQVKd-ZAIe8
Go to Top of Page

TheScooper
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  15:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this will sound ridiculous, but I want them to record with Tom Waits/Kathleen Brennan. Bad as Me sounded so awesome.

Just please don't brickwall the thing AGAIN, whoever does it
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  22:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

1) Were zero of those 15 songs attempted in studio during IC or HC? Do any of them exist as unreleased B-sides with the full band?

Drive & Toulon were (partially ?) recorded during HC sessions. Maybe others. But those were eventually dropped by the producer.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  01:58:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like those song titles. Good to hear they are keeping up the momentum and writing more new material, but I don't really see new Pixies albums as Pixies anymore; more like new Frank Black material and it just happens that his latest band consists of two other original Pixies members.

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Can't wait to hear whatever Bogman is. Great title. Reminds me of this little gem by another band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQVKd-ZAIe8

I used to know a guy who was into bogs. His name was Pete. He was a right durty bastard.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  08:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
2) If the only version of Super Lecker or O Little Cloud that you will be given will be a compressed version a la IC would you still want it?

I’ve heard compression is slowly becoming out fashioned as most music streaming services have recently adopted new standards regarding volume levels. (Let’s hope Norton & Dalgety are aware about that !)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 12/09/2017 08:58:22
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  09:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by pot

but I don't really see new Pixies albums as Pixies anymore; more like new Frank Black material and it just happens that his latest band consists of two other original Pixies members.

100% agree, and been saying for a while that the last pixies album was the first half of Bossanova. But Black is Black, so can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  09:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

I’ve heard compression is slowly becoming out fashioned as most music streaming services have recently adopted new standards regarding volume levels. (Let’s hope Norton & Dalgety are aware about that !)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Here's hoping you are on the money.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  11:24:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

but I don't really see new Pixies albums as Pixies anymore; more like new Frank Black material and it just happens that his latest band consists of two other original Pixies members.

100% agree, and been saying for a while that the last pixies album was the first half of Bossanova. But Black is Black, so can't wait.

I no understand.

Bossanova is Pixies, front and back, for me anyway. I guess though, unlike most original hardcore pixies fans it was my first full album pixies epxerience. Every time I walk past Farmfoods in Dumfries I remember being in there in the summer of 1990 when it used to be a record shop listening to Havalina and Stormy Weather and contemplating buying a non-thrash metal album for the first time in 2 years.

They're just older and have lost much of the youthful energy that came across in their early music, can't be helped. Who knows though maybe they'll blow us all away with the 3 reincarnation and it'll turn out to be their best album ever.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  01:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I no understand.

Bossanova is Pixies, front and back, for me anyway. I guess though, unlike most original hardcore pixies fans it was my first full album pixies epxerience. Every time I walk past Farmfoods in Dumfries I remember being in there in the summer of 1990 when it used to be a record shop listening to Havalina and Stormy Weather and contemplating buying a non-thrash metal album for the first time in 2 years.

They're just older and have lost much of the youthful energy that came across in their early music, can't be helped. Who knows though maybe they'll blow us all away with the 3 reincarnation and it'll turn out to be their best album ever.

I just think the second half, other than The Happening, is really lacking compared to the first half. Has always sounded that way to me.

Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  14:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I no understand.

I just think the second half, other than The Happening, is really lacking compared to the first half. Has always sounded that way to me.

Blown Away and Hang Wire are lacking? HMMM....
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  23:50:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^^that's what I thought. Bossanova is a solid album from end to end. There are no bad tracks on it.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  01:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a Pixies song, anyway ? Needs its own forum thread I suppose.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  04:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bravo

[/quote]

Havalina is lacking!?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  04:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bravo

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I no understand.

I still view Bossanova through my tenth grade eyes, when it came out and I said, “hey, this isn’t as good as SR and Doolittle.” Of course I have come to love it more and more over the last 25+ years, but every now and then I recall why I had those thoughts many moons ago. It felt like the second half of the album had some filler.

Today of course an album like Bossanova from 2.0 would be amazing.

I didn’t mean to derail this thread.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  04:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quoting the man himself on this very forum:

quote:

we are aware of certain opinions regarding the band and new music. generally, they fall into 3 camps:

1) keep your original sound intact.

2) please, ignore your old sound and develop a new sound.

3) stop making all music

we actually don't subscribe to either agenda 1 or 2 (agenda 3 seems ridiculous as we are all working musicians and probably always will be). we make music. if it sounds like "the pixies of 1989", so be it. that is our background. if it sounds "new", great! we like it when new things develop.

I'm in camp 2. Or oscillating between 1 and 2. In fact, I don't really care. If it sounds like vintage Pixies, it's good. If it sounds new, well, I won't complain.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 12/11/2017 04:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  06:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of us are outside of that trichotomy.

4) Make music for as long as you want and can, just don’t label it Pixies, please.

If you refer to them as 2.0, you’re basically doing the same thing, as 2 is not 1.

It’s more of a quadlemma.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  06:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, then, again, we all have a different view about what is Pixies ? I personaly don't care. And I can't really get why this seems to be so important. It's just a name. But again, that's another thread, right ? Since they obvioulsy will make another Pixies record.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  07:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, then, again, we all have a different view about what is Pixies ? I personaly don't care. And I can't really get why this seems to be so important. It's just a name. But again, that's another thread, right ? Since they obvioulsy will make another Pixies record.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I’m totally with you on not wanting to derail this good thread with another good thread, but let me just say again, that if the name doesn’t matter then I completely consider TOTY to be the greatest Pixies album of all time. Charles and Joe and the other supporting cast members kill it on that album. I realize Kim isn’t there, just like she isn’t there on IC and HC.

Charles is the one who’s changed names around so many times. Those who see a difference between 1.0 and 2.0 will use that sort of designation, and those who see no difference will just call it all “Pixies” (or The Pixies, is there a difference when the definite article is used?)

Bottom line again is he could call it Shwarma for all I care, I will buy it and put it on repeat.

The name analysis is, for me, just a fun thing to do during commercials
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  08:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need a beer

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  08:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the name of the beer?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  10:25:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like the thread is right on track to discuss new and old Pixies material.

I think a few of the earlies have a bit of a problem with Bossanova? My first exposure to the Pixies was on The Chart Show. This Monkey's Gone To Heaven is not their best song and I wasn't sold until I heard the follow up single Here Come's Your Man. Then I thought, yeah OK I like that it's quite catchy and uplifting.

In between that and the live TV set of Cecilia Ann/Alison on The Word I was busy trying to find music that symbolised death and insanity.

Farmfoods was the selling point for me though. I don't remember how or why I knew it was the new Pixies album, maybe I just recognised the sound or in those days they used to have the album they were currently playing on the counter. But anyway it worked and the guy who owned the record shop in Sanquahar was quite pleased that I had actually ordered an album worth listening to, and also one that he could get for me.

Bossanova was my diversion from what might have been a very boring life listening to only heavy metal into the world od indie music.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  03:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Drive & Toulon were (partially ?) recorded during HC sessions. Maybe others. But those were eventually dropped by the producer.

___
"Service Unavailable"

There is also this quote by Paz from some interview

""We had a good twenty that we had learned and were ready to record when we went to RAK Studios in London"

Wonder how many they did in the end.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  09:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the names of all 15 songs listed above, although Pickerel Picker makes me think of something like "Jumping Beans." Who knows, maybe it will be more in the vein of Baal's Back.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  09:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Sounds like the thread is right on track to discuss new and old Pixies material.

I think a few of the earlies have a bit of a problem with Bossanova? My first exposure to the Pixies was on The Chart Show. This Monkey's Gone To Heaven is not their best song and I wasn't sold until I heard the follow up single Here Come's Your Man. Then I thought, yeah OK I like that it's quite catchy and uplifting.

In between that and the live TV set of Cecilia Ann/Alison on The Word I was busy trying to find music that symbolised death and insanity.

Farmfoods was the selling point for me though. I don't remember how or why I knew it was the new Pixies album, maybe I just recognised the sound or in those days they used to have the album they were currently playing on the counter. But anyway it worked and the guy who owned the record shop in Sanquahar was quite pleased that I had actually ordered an album worth listening to, and also one that he could get for me.

Bossanova was my diversion from what might have been a very boring life listening to only heavy metal into the world od indie music.

I could be totally wrong on this, but I don't think Bossanova or Trompe were acclaimed critically or from the fanbase when they came out. I remember buying the cassette of Trompe the day it came out and my friend and I telling each other that it was good but then going right back to Surfer.

Now I think Trompe is the best Pixies album of all, and Bossa is brilliant.

I'm sure the original reviews of both albums are out there somewhere if I cared enough to dig them up.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  09:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see Pickerel Picker as a Fall-esque song, something like Totally Wired. That would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  21:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picker! Picker conspiracy
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  07:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting my jangly indie-rock fix with Half Forward Line. A lot of fun.

https://halfforwardline.bandcamp.com/track/joint-account
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  08:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'On' isn't a new song. It's just another song incorporating 'Where is my Mind?'. This to be precise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32OTz_uREj8
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  08:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  09:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops - that post of mine above was meant for the 'what are you listening to' thread.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  10:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

'On' isn't a new song. It's just another song incorporating 'Where is my Mind?'. This to be precise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32OTz_uREj8

Thanks. Edited 1st post.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  17:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that it's 2018, I'm really ready for some "Pixies are working up new material" type rumors. Paz has an IG post playing violin, talking about working on new music. That's a start.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000