Head Carrier.....WTF?!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  14:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Long time, no here. First of all I love the Pixies, love Frank Black Francis. Have every thing Pixies and solo Frank have ever done. Also Love Paz..........even saw here way back with Zwan he he. Seen Pixies well over 40 times since '04 and seen Frank, solo, w/Catholics, etc just as many times

Long story short, soooooooo disappointed in how bad "Head Carrier" is. If this was any other artist, it may be kinda OK, at best. But, except for maybe one or two songs (being generous here), this is really, really bad. Can't believe Charles composed these. It really genuinely saddens/hurts me how pedestrian these tunes are. For another band/composer maybe all right . But for my heroes, Black F and the P's ? wow.

HOWEVER.....I'm still gonna see them 3 times this week in NYC! and looking forward to it........for the old stuff and the excellent musicianship, energy and Frank himself. Thanks for reading. Peace.

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  15:09:25  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Give it time.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  15:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok. maybe ur right bot dont think so, i know i'm late on this but after like 6 full listens think that's enuf. like i said havent been to this cool forum for ages so dont know if similar feelings to mine about "new" album.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  17:18:28  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stop listening to it for awhile, go to the concert, wait a couple of weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  01:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you simibaby.

While I like Head Carrier more than you do (and way more than Indie Cindy) it's just.... ok overall, which is not something I would ever dreamed I would hear myself say re: a Pixies / FB record.

What speaks loudly to me (and quietly) is that in 2017 my frequency of listening to Head Carrier has been going down, and yet I'm still listening to Trompe all the time, and even the other albums more frequently.

But I like Head Carrier, I really do. As I've said 10 other times on here, my brain just won't let me classify it as a Pixies album.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  03:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you might like the songs a lot more after you've heard them in concert. it's not impossible.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  07:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Nice advice, folks. Seeing them this Weds, Thurs and Fri. Not gonna listen til after at least the first night.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  08:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even All the Saints and Oona ? Very nice tunes.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  13:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I hear you simibaby.

While I like Head Carrier more than you do (and way more than Indie Cindy) it's just.... ok overall, which is not something I would ever dreamed I would hear myself say re: a Pixies / FB record.

What speaks loudly to me (and quietly) is that in 2017 my frequency of listening to Head Carrier has been going down, and yet I'm still listening to Trompe all the time, and even the other albums more frequently.

But I like Head Carrier, I really do. As I've said 10 other times on here, my brain just won't let me classify it as a Pixies album.

You are exaggerating when you say you'd "never dream of saying a Pixies/FB album is just ok" right? You've heard FastMan Raiderman, Non-Stop Erotic, FB&C Black Letter Days, Honeycomb right? Are these albums way beyond OK to you? If they are I can't understand that as while they all have their moments overall they fail to reach any lofty level for BF/FB's career like other albums in the catalog. Now, if you say that it's just well below the quality of Pixies 1.0 albums I could see that perspective. But yeah, it's not like every FB release has hit the high mark and HC has more than enough strong songs to warrant placement in the middle of his catalog quality-wise, imo. Kinda feel like the later FB albums are gonna be overly praised now that he's given up the solo career so many here were heavily invested in. I honestly remember that time of the later releases as one where he probably needed a big change to his approach. The Pixies reunion came at a great time, even if I don't really enjoy IC much at all nowadays. I'm glad it was made in order to get them to HC. And of course excited to see what's next.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  01:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I hear you simibaby.

You are exaggerating when you say you'd "never dream of saying a Pixies/FB album is just ok" right? You've heard FastMan Raiderman, Non-Stop Erotic, FB&C Black Letter Days, Honeycomb right? Are these albums way beyond OK to you? If they are I can't understand that as while they all have their moments overall they fail to reach any lofty level for BF/FB's career like other albums in the catalog. Now, if you say that it's just well below the quality of Pixies 1.0 albums I could see that perspective. But yeah, it's not like every FB release has hit the high mark and HC has more than enough strong songs to warrant placement in the middle of his catalog quality-wise, imo. Kinda feel like the later FB albums are gonna be overly praised now that he's given up the solo career so many here were heavily invested in. I honestly remember that time of the later releases as one where he probably needed a big change to his approach. The Pixies reunion came at a great time, even if I don't really enjoy IC much at all nowadays. I'm glad it was made in order to get them to HC. And of course excited to see what's next.

I concede your point natenate101. I should have said I never would have dreamed of saying that a Pixies record was ok, not Pixies / FB. And even then, I can still remember the day Trompe came out thinking that it was subpar to Doolittle and Surfer, which I completely think the opposite of now.

Having said that, the FB albums you mention have all grown on me over time. Head Carrier seems to be wearing thin on me. I don't know if that's been true for any of his other work. But it's only been six months or so. Maybe it will reverse the trend.

I would rank Head Carrier in the lower half of his work, but definitely above some things. I can't think of any album that is worse than Indie Cindy. I know people may disagree with that, but one of his albums has to be last (unless they're all tied for first). Ranking schmanking, I know.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  06:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't rank HC/IC as terrible albums, but rather as uneven albums. I got BF point on many songs on IC, but most of them sound unfinished. They all lack a little something (including further editing / more work). Head Carrier is better on that level, but I'm definitiely not of fan of the lyrics and BF's voice on this one. I think his voice is more mature and needs to adjust to something else. Maybe they need to tune everything down (live shows included), I'd like to hear him sing in a lower vocal range, I'm pretty sure it would sound better. Aging is not a bad thing and I'm eager to see what's next, Pixies or not Pixies.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  11:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Letter Days is my 2nd favourite Catholics album (behind DITS) and quite possibly my 2nd favourite FB/Pixies/BF album.
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  06:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The SONG itself, "DITS" is one of the most beautiful songs ever, to me. The ending kinda makes me well up sometimes in its simple beauty.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  06:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

The SONG itself, "DITS" is one of the most beautiful songs ever, to me. The ending kinda makes me well up sometimes in its simple beauty.

Totally agree.

Think what a gift it would be if 2.0 ever busted out The Surf Epic. That would please just about everybody.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000