Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  19:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

So the 5+ minute scene of the guy sweeping the floor at the end of the night in the Bang Bang Bar at the end of episode ? fits in somewhere in the overall story arc of season 3?

I admit you pick a pretty difficult scene to explain.

Maybe this will help:

In episode 14 a scene from the Twin Peaks movie (1992) is replayed, and one of David Bowie's lines that seemed inconsequential at best, and incoherent at worst, now has taken on a huge significance since Season 3's events. It really was breathtaking to see how Lynch weaved the two together.

I'm not saying that will be true of every scene in S3, including the broom scene.

What I am saying is: Absolutely not. But maybe.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  04:57:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll have to take your word for it having chosen to watch the series in reverse order. I'm too busy trying to work out what deeper hidden meaning there is to Game Of Thrones right now to be concerned with decyphering crypticisms of the David Lynch variety. I liked the 2001 references at the beginning of the new series though, another great work that is filled with unfathomable mysteries.

Edited by - pot on 08/14/2017 04:59:13
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  11:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'll have to take your word for it having chosen to watch the series in reverse order. I'm too busy trying to work out what deeper hidden meaning there is to Game Of Thrones right now to be concerned with decyphering crypticisms of the David Lynch variety. I liked the 2001 references at the beginning of the new series though, another great work that is filled with unfathomable mysteries.

I'm not sure when I'll get to Game of Thrones but it's on my list.

Glad you're watching TP3, hope you're glad you invested the time when it's all said and done.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  23:39:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's given me a laugh or two, and I've always been a fan of surreal anything.

It makes me think of my old friend from Glasgow who was really into it at the time. He was a big Lynch fan and was also doing film studies at the art collage or something, so I think he had aspirations there but as far as I know it never came to anything.

I onced asked him to show me something he was working on, and it was this long drawn out scene of a guy walking up a square multi-flight stairwell in a tennement block, and I was like "is that it?"

He got a bit annoyed with me because I obviously didn't get it, and I always assumed that he was going to use only a small part of the whole scene and cut out the bits that worked the best and use them in the context of something else. But now that I've seen the broom scene maybe his intention was to just use the whole scene of the guy walking up the stairs and it somehow meant something.

I watched the latest one last night, now I know what you are talking about with the David Bowie scene. Gotta get some Bowie in there somehow. It would be wrong not to.

How are they doing these scenes with the younger actors? Is he using old archived footage from the original series or clever CGI or both?

I feel that there should be some meaning behind the madness in a series as long as this and I hope it's not just random things. But I'm also a fan of Vic & Bob so surreal inanity is usually enough to satisfy me as long as it's funny.

The character played by Lynch in it is hilarious, some form of post-ham acting or something?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  06:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

It's given me a laugh or two, and I've always been a fan of surreal anything.

It makes me think of my old friend from Glasgow who was really into it at the time. He was a big Lynch fan and was also doing film studies at the art collage or something, so I think he had aspirations there but as far as I know it never came to anything.

I onced asked him to show me something he was working on, and it was this long drawn out scene of a guy walking up a square multi-flight stairwell in a tennement block, and I was like "is that it?"

He got a bit annoyed with me because I obviously didn't get it, and I always assumed that he was going to use only a small part of the whole scene and cut out the bits that worked the best and use them in the context of something else. But now that I've seen the broom scene maybe his intention was to just use the whole scene of the guy walking up the stairs and it somehow meant something.

I watched the latest one last night, now I know what you are talking about with the David Bowie scene. Gotta get some Bowie in there somehow. It would be wrong not to.

How are they doing these scenes with the younger actors? Is he using old archived footage from the original series or clever CGI or both?

I feel that there should be some meaning behind the madness in a series as long as this and I hope it's not just random things. But I'm also a fan of Vic & Bob so surreal inanity is usually enough to satisfy me as long as it's funny.

The character played by Lynch in it is hilarious, some form of post-ham acting or something?

I hear you re: your friends art project. Lynch's works have always been meditative to say the least, plodding, deliberate, slow to use some other words. He's him, and that's about all you can say.

The David Bowie scenes that occurred in episode 14 (which recounts Cooper telling Cole about a dream he had, which in fact is a dream itself that Gordon is having [at least this telling of it in 14]) are not CGI or anything but are originally from FWWM. When we all saw Bowie point to Cooper back in 1992 and say to Cole, "Who do you think that is there?" we had no idea of the significance of that statement. Now in 2017 it hits like a ton of bricks.

And yes, I think your phrase "post-ham acting" is very good, although Lynch has been having his performers do that sort of thing since at least since Eraserhead if not The Grandmother or The Amputee.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  02:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 hours left and still SO many loose ends. Loving it but maddened by the whole thing
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  23:55:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A funny thing happened last night while I was watching episode 15.

Firstly... I MUST POINT OUT THAT I HAVE GONE PARTIALLY DEAF RECENTLY. By coinicidence, I'm getting my lugs syringed tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to hear again and no more wax drops..

So I was watching the episode on one of these online sites with the volume(s) turned up full so I can hear and it gets to the scene where Cooper arrives at the convenience store and meets the weird guy with the black face, they walk up the stairs and disappear and then for 10 minutes all I can see is a still view of the convenience store from outside. I'm thinking this is another broom scene. And I'm reading the subtitles and wondering... How can there be the sound of trees moving in the wind if the tree is still? Why can't I hear anything? Is it because there's no sound or is it because the scene is playing really quiet in the background, and you can hear things from inside the house but because I'm partially deaf I can't hear anything?

Anyway, 10 minutes go by and I'm starting to get suspiciou. Then the screen turns a blurry orange hue and there's still subtitles and I'm thinking something must be wrong here, this is way to weird even for David Lynch.

So I skip forward and it's the same. Turns out I forgot to plug my laptop in to the wall, which makes it act weird sometimes. I'm also maxxed out on disk space so maybe something to do with that.

Anyway, for 10+ minutes I watched a still scene from the show, in silence just reading subtitles thinking this was how it was supposed to be. I even considered at one point that it was supposed to silent and everyone else who didn't have subtitles turned on were just seeing this still shot of the house and in order to understand what was going on you needed to turn on the subtitles, and this was David Lynch being super cryptic.

This is the effect David Lynch is having on me.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  05:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is brilliant!!!!!!

You out Lynched Lynch!!!

(PS good luck with the ears).
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  06:13:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank :D it's all freaking me out a little bit, especially because there were stairs involved.

It's a frigging nightmare going deaf, been like this for 4 weeks now. Ear wax build up and inner ear canals swollen due to summer allergies..
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  13:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine

I get clogs sometimes, hydrogen peroxide helps

The severed ear in Blue Velvet comes to mind
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2017 :  21:06:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's easy to imagine being deaf. Just put your fingers in your ears and listen.

As long as my ear drums still work, once all that wax is syringed out I'll probably hear everything ten times louder than I have for years. I'd like my hearing restored to what it was like before anyway.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  10:52:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you know when David Lynch started wearing the hearing aids in the new series, I don't know if his original character was half corned beef or not? but anyway I mean I didn't cotton on to the reason why he was talking this way initially...

I can hear now. Apparently all that was in there was a few bits of hard wax and lots of oil that I had put in. The reason I was half deaf was because I was trying to cure my temprorary deafness. What I needed to be doing instead was putting air in my there to replace the wax.

Hot baths is what you need. Get the inside of your ears warm. And time to go backwards so you grow younger.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2017 :  13:16:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, on the day I get my hearing back, I also went in to a shop to get my bike fixed, that has been offroad for 7 years because it was vandalised.

So I not only get my hearing back, and I've never in my entire life been so grateful of the ability to hear things, but I'm also getting my wheels back, and a bike I love more than my camera.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  08:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great article in the Times comparing / contrasting TP and GOT

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/arts/television/twin-peaks-game-of-thrones-hbo-showtime.html
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  11:19:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well... when they both end it's nice to know that there's always more new TV coming. For instance, Charlie Brooker has a new 6 part series of Black Mirror coming out soon. The time between the two final mini-seasons of GoT will be reminiscent of the wait to see how Breaking Bad ends.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  08:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have absolutely no idea how this is going to end.

Will it even matter how it does?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  08:23:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not to me. I've got no idea what any of it's about.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  00:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He did it!!!!

Unbelievable episode!

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  11:32:25  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ending was freaky. So it's all about tulpas or something? Looking forward to the prequels...
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  11:24:56  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's Chrysta Bell singing a song about impending doom. The clever YouTube algorithm is recommending David Lynch stuff to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVFlipgTLDo

I wish I could get more into to in that some of the hardcore fans seems to be, but it all largely goes over my head. Tulpas though, I didn't know what they were until they shot Diane. Mystical entities brought forth through collective thought or something...

I had a look again at the original series, from the episode 2 anyway as the pilot wasn't there and it's just.. what? Slow and weird. I'm not sure if I'll manage to get through the original series since I developed my aversion to television shows that aren't in the now standard 16:9 aspect ratio.

The final scene with Audrey dancing at the Bang Bang bar and then suddenly flipping into a completely different reality was interesting and creepy.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  01:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonight's the night!

See you at the
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  03:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man! Wish I would venture into General Chat more often as I would have noticed this thread earlier! Absolutely loving this season. It's incredible. I was a big fan of the original series (having watched it for the first time three or four years ago) and re-watched it a couple of months ago. S1 brilliant. S2 brilliant until the middle few episodes. But then the finale is fantastic and redeems things. The movie is absolutely nightmarish. Brilliant but nightmarish. I might watch the Missing Pieces tonight to keep me going until I watch the s3 finale tomorrow. I'm very sad this is ending. However, I do intend on buying Frost's Secret History of Twin Peaks book that was released this year.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  04:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Do you know when David Lynch started wearing the hearing aids in the new series, I don't know if his original character was half corned beef or not? but anyway I mean I didn't cotton on to the reason why he was talking this way initially...

Yeah his character has always been deaf. Lynch was inspired by his mother who was deaf so based all his shouting and speech repetitions on things she used to say.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  04:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and the broom scene - I guess it's one of Lynch's trademarks to have those long, lingering scenes. If you go back to the season two finale you had the old safety deposit box clerk trudging over and back for two or three minutes. I like to imagine the origin of the sweeping brush scene was Lynch hearing the song Green Onions and thinking "this song would sound cool in ANY scene". And then decides to make the scene about something as incredibly banal as someone sweeping the floor. I loved it anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  19:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finale blew me away

!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  13:03:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll have to take your word on that bug. I liked elements of it, but overall I thought it was completely disjointed, lacked some sense of coherent structure. I also thought some of the special effects were a bit crap, but nonetheless contained their own lo-fi charm. I hope that they were all done personally by David Lynch.

Something you might be interested in, from the school of abstract and surreal cinema that I caught the other night but have only watched a bit of so far:

Galaxy Of Horrors

Very Lynch I'd say, but perhaps a little bit more (I can't remember who the other director was that it made me think of, it wasn't Kubrick)

A similar concept to XX (cf Cat's Eye) that comprised three short films of the horror genre tied together by a common external dialogue. (one of them was directed by Annie Clark of St Vincent)

Anyway, the premise of the movie is the same, but I have only watched 1/3. It's made up of a series of short movies that play into the whole film in some way. I watched the first three and they were all very good. I think this is a cult classic.

This new thing about making a film a series of independent short films is interesting.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  14:25:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No that was it, Lemon.

Surrealism is the new thing.

Not the best art house film I've seen recently, it's quite weird and random. Jewish humour maybe, also a bit Woody Allen.

Now that the internet is here everyone is trying to outweird everyone else to get attention.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  18:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still processing the finale and all of S3; will be for a long time.

Thanks for the recommendations pot, I'll check them out.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  03:57:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I watched the rest of the Galaxy Of Horrors last night and it was surprisingly good. 8 short films of the horror genre, all very different. Some had a bit of a lynch feel to them I'd say, but 6 and 7.. without giving out any spoilers were definately parodying a couple of well know classics, especially 7..
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  05:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man that was a haunting finale.. really eerie. I had a messed up sleep after watching it. I felt frustrated but after thinking about it a little that's a beautiful way to end the show... Wonder if they'll do a fourth.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  06:34:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why Agent Cooper didn't ask the current residents of the Palmer housegold for the address of the previous occupants, and try to trace laura's parents that way? Persumably also the FBI would have been informed of their new address as they were still trying to find the murderer.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  08:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to try to tie this back to the reason why we're all here to begin with: I think Lynch entirely succeeded where the Pixies really failed, namely, if you're going to revive in the 2000 teens what you started in the 1980s you should do it crazier, more baffling, more maddening and breathtaking and mesmerizing than ever before.

TP3 did exactly that.

IC and HC did not.

Imagine die hard twin peaks / Lynch fans being a given a "fine" or "passable" or "decent" Season 3, instead of the unfathomable one they got... that would be worse than just leaving it dead with Season 2 and FWWM.

IC and HC are at best fine. You can live without them. You never feel like you have to listen to them again, really. They don't go beyond the original five albums in any way, and they certainly do not create any new fans on their own.

Probably should have just left off with Trompe...
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  08:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Man that was a haunting finale.. really eerie. I had a messed up sleep after watching it. I felt frustrated but after thinking about it a little that's a beautiful way to end the show... Wonder if they'll do a fourth.

I really get the feeling that will be it.

Lots of themes about the neverending (infinite) conflict of good and evil. I think it will be Coop versus Judy for as long as the world lasts.

But man would I love a fourth season. I just hope Lynch does another something in the not too distant future.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  08:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I don't understand why Agent Cooper didn't ask the current residents of the Palmer housegold for the address of the previous occupants, and try to trace laura's parents that way? Persumably also the FBI would have been informed of their new address as they were still trying to find the murderer.

Cooper started to seem not so much like himself once again during that last episode. His last words (apparently the last words of the entire show) will haunt us for life.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  14:47:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this is real news, or if I'm still watching Twin Peaks Series 3?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/worst-date-ever-liam-smyth-poo-disaster_uk_59afa2f4e4b0b5e53101f044
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000