Hearitagain.net
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  19:04:58  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember these guys?
Any issues with me sharing these recordings on here?
I assume (as I haven't checked) that there's no way of purchasing these shows any longer, so no harm aye?
If these are still available, I'll certainly not do it, but I can't imagine they're still out there after all these years.
I have (I think) Double Door, Chicago (2003-03-28), Slim's, San Fran (2003-04-18) & Shepard's Bush, London (2003-12-01). Was this them all?
Anyways I can't see that Frank (& band) would mind this long down the track.....
Thoughts?

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  08:24:13  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd love to hear those.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1871 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  08:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
share, brother, share

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  08:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benji,
It seems unlikely they or the band would care at this point. The company as far as I can tell is defunct and Fb always seemed all right with fans trading live show recordings. I purchased Double Door, Slim's and Shephard's Bush at the time and enjoyed them quite a bit.

I think they were onto a potentially good business; I'm sure people would love to own shows they were at in good sound quality. Who knows why it didn't take off for them. The fastest live recording turnover ever was the pixies live discs I picked up right after the end of the show. Good sound quality all things considered. What a good idea and a fun souvenir! Perhaps something as simple as the ubiquity of online trading sinks most of these ventures or it's only a smaller hardcore group that purchases them.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if anyone materialized saying you shouldn't do this but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  19:25:15  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought.
Anyways, here they are. I feel certain that the first 2 shows are direct from hearitagain, while the last one isn't. It's had the missing first song (massif centrale) and first few seconds of 2nd song (cactus) added in from an audience recording to make a complete recording.
Frank Black - 2003-03-28 Double Door, Chicago, IL
https://mega.nz/#!Q1Q0RCTY!AekVI0IUWu4AsjGfGmjWNb_u9lNVh_KDabYUfeYG4Mc

Frank Black - 2003-04-19 Slim's, San Francisco, CA
https://mega.nz/#!whZy2JrI!KCU7LFJDxV38aql-GOL1E4JdCPG9HGS7ruNpjEFApmw

Frank Black - 2003-12-01 Shepard's Bush Empire, London, England
https://mega.nz/#!JsZ2QL4Y!NWyUpnZZ4cOEZWt0rgmsP0A8OXlRIAzm_ItepaamLbY
I was at this last show, and remember it being absolutely amazing. It's definitely the best sounding of the three as well!

Enjoy.

Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  01:02:50  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
These are awesome. Thanks Benji (and for all your other generosity over the years)
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  08:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji
Frank Black - 2003-12-01 Shepard's Bush Empire, London, England
https://mega.nz/#!JsZ2QL4Y!NWyUpnZZ4cOEZWt0rgmsP0A8OXlRIAzm_ItepaamLbY
I was at this last show, and remember it being absolutely amazing. It's definitely the best sounding of the three as well!

Nice! The last Catholics show. I did indeed purchase that one from hear it again, there was some technical difficulty with the recording at the beginning. Later on another recording surfaced of the whole show.

I love those drum fills by Scott in the middle of Bullet.

cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  23:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, great, thanks Benji. I was at a September 2003 show, those Catholics were really great.

Listening to the Shepherd's Bush show. Forgot about the extended outro of Hermaphroditos.

They made Cactus sound awesome. Although I prefer the slow/fast version of Nimrods Son to the slow/slow one here. But it's great hearing all this mixed together including Headache, great set.

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  05:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, benji!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  11:33:47  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you sir Benji!
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  05:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These were great shows. I miss this band. Hows the quality? Haven't listened to them in a long time. be nice if they got cleaned up and reissued hi rez.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  09:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mac E. Doobage

These were great shows. I miss this band. Hows the quality? Haven't listened to them in a long time. be nice if they got cleaned up and reissued hi rez.

I thought perhaps they'd re-form for a show or two when the box set was released, a summing up and goodbye of sorts.

With the Pixies a full time band again releasing new records it seems doubtful. Maybe that's just as well, though it would've been sweet to hear them perform 1826 at least once and just let Rich and Dave shred.

Who knows? Maybe Frank will reform 'em for a reunion concert after a Pixies tour.

Anyway, great band. Deceptive as well, on first listen they seem a bit mired in classic rock and as Frank noted, "embracing cliche" but his unique and wonderfully askew songwriting persisted, the melding of the unusual and "classic" and country rock making for a unique energy...easily dismissed at one listen but enjoyed after a few and fully savored over many.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  10:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen Pixies 3 times and Catholics twice. For me Catholics win hands down. As forum member Kathryn one said, they just rock harder.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  12:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I've seen Pixies 3 times and Catholics twice. For me Catholics win hands down. As forum member Kathryn one said, they just rock harder.

I think it's just a difference in style.

With more musicians on stage the Catholics generate a deeper, warmer sound. You've got at least two technically proficient guitar players one of whom can also switch to keys.

The Pixies live have an angular feel with a lot of space and while they can generate joyful abrasive sounds they don't quite capture the power of the albums.

They still rock, this is just a difference in degrees.

On a side note, I keep hoping Joey will mix up what he does in Vamos or just throw in a more traditional metalesque solo or just do to Vamos with a different song.

cheers

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 02/28/2017 13:44:02
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  22:49:44  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you guys (and girls) have enjoyed them. This stuff is good to revisit every now and then cause it chronicles a time which I look back so very fondly upon. Amazing to think it's been nearly 14 years. Christ I'm getting old. And the rest of you's as well!
Having just this week gone back to being a student 20 years after starting university the first time, I've found myself being rather nostalgic!

Back on topic - I agree with Mr Arm. The Catholics were special. The Pixies were/are special. Do I have a favourite? Depends on the day.
Would I be more excited about the Catholics reuniting than I am about the Pixies still going on? Absolutely.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  09:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji.
Would I be more excited about the Catholics reuniting than I am about the Pixies still going on? Absolutely.

I'd like it if the Pixies played longer concerts, I don't think 90mins is acceptable for a band of their stature and discography and it would be cool if they threw in some Catholics songs every so often, since the odds of those songs ever being played again by Frank in a full band setting seem slim. Same with his own solo material.

I understand why neither of these things are likely though.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  01:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I often think about some kind of "pre-cor" again where he could come out with the acoustic, do Horrible Day or whatever, go back inside, and come out later and do the 2.0 thing for everybody else.

I'm sure that's unheard of and never going to be done, but it's fun to imagine it happening.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  02:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once had a dream I was at a Pixiepalooza style festival (all related bands etc) and was torn between seeing TOTY era FB or the Pixies. Silly dream but would be an awesome festival.

Breeders
FB&C's
Miracle Legion
Pere Ubu
Throwing Muses
Reid Paley
Teenage Fanclub
Jonny Palonski (that guy still making music?)
Art Brut
Pixies

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  06:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I once had a dream I was at a Pixiepalooza style festival (all related bands etc) and was torn between seeing TOTY era FB or the Pixies. Silly dream but would be an awesome festival.

Breeders
FB&C's
Miracle Legion
Pere Ubu
Throwing Muses
Reid Paley
Teenage Fanclub
Jonny Palonski (that guy still making music?)
Art Brut
Pixies

Seems like a no-brainer to just go see TOTY era FB. You've seen Wave a million times, and Fazer Eyes probably zero times. Man what a great dream you had.

Will anything from TOTY ever be played live again?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000