New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  16:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few weeks after his last album came out. Entitled "You want it darker", it might be considered as a requiem which he wrote for himself.

He was 82. I think he was not one of the greatest, but simply the greatest songwriter in the 20th century. Mostly appreciated for his lyrics, poetry, and personality, I think his melodies are grossly underrated.

After Johnny Cash has died, it was mentioned that he is now the coolest person on earth. I agreed. Bono said in a documentary some years ago, we can feel very lucky to live in the same time like Leonard Cohen. No matter was one thinks about Bono, the validity of this statement strikes me like lightning now that Cohen's voice is silenced.

Mr. Cohen, Leonard, rest in peace and thank you for endless times of joy and comfort, in the past and as well in the years to come.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  01:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really familiar with his material but I saw a gig on TV the other day with a montage from his latest tours and I enjoyed it. Liked his deep warm voice. Great band, too.

Can't stop listening to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DARtHoktTgE

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  15:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit of a stunner, although I have to admit I'm only familiar with a few of his most famous songs.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  23:43:45  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a letter he wrote to Marianne Ihlen a few months ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3705984/so-long-marianne-leonard-cohen-s-final-letter-to-his-muse-1.3705989

quote:
JCM: It said well Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine. And you know that I've always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don't need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road…

When I read the lines "stretch out your hand," she stretched out her hand. Only two days later she lost consciousness and slipped into death. I wrote a letter back to Leonard saying in her final moments I hummed "A Bird on a Wire" because that was the song she felt closest to. And then I kissed her on the head and left the room, and said "so long, Marianne."
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2016 :  14:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great man. Was very sad to hear the news, though it wasn't really a shock since his latest album is essentially about him ready to go.

Have BF and his I Can't Forget cover to thank as my gateway. Of course, he was famous enough anyway but that made me take attention.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  21:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did he really?
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  07:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

A few weeks after his last album came out. Entitled "You want it darker", it might be considered as a requiem which he wrote for himself.

He was 82. I think he was not one of the greatest, but simply the greatest songwriter in the 20th century. Mostly appreciated for his lyrics, poetry, and personality, I think his melodies are grossly underrated.

After Johnny Cash has died, it was mentioned that he is now the coolest person on earth. I agreed. Bono said in a documentary some years ago, we can feel very lucky to live in the same time like Leonard Cohen. No matter was one thinks about Bono, the validity of this statement strikes me like lightning now that Cohen's voice is silenced.

Mr. Cohen, Leonard, rest in peace and thank you for endless times of joy and comfort, in the past and as well in the years to come.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Amen, two reelers. Nicely said.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000