Originally posted by The Maharal

Paz and Black (Paz and Baz?)

Chaz and Paz?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  06:38:07  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Potz and Paz

Edited by - pot on 09/24/2016 00:44:48
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  06:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rock the Chazbah.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  06:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pizzies

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  06:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaz Franchantin ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  07:03:41  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pazzy Star
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  08:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oona is reminding me of Syd Barrett for some reason.

I was thinking Tenement Song would be my favorite song before I heard the other 9, and it still is.

Great job by Charles and the gang.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  08:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the opening drums of Baals Back reminds me of Punk Rock City, which is tight.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  15:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Bel Esprit might be one of my favorites! Outside of Head Carrier, it's probably Joey's best guitar performance to my ears. And Paz's harmonies in the end are gorgeous.

Talent & Tenement Song are likely my least favorties. There are some nice chords in there, and the latter is certainly solidly crafted, but I just don't connect.

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  21:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now it occurs to me
Indie Cindy was a transitional album, Head Carrier is a self-reconciliation album.
I mean, it's the album in which Charles Thompson reconciles all his personas and past incarnations. A syncretic album.
It's Pixies undeniably (Oona, All I Think About Now, ...), but also FB from pre-Catholics era, and Catholics era glimpses too, and Americana style (Might As Well Be Gone, Bel Esprit...), and Bluefinger/Svnfngrs era too (Um Chagga Lagga has that Captain Pasty / I Get Away vibe). Even The Golem persona is expressed on this album, with intricate narratives. And Plaster of Paris is a new direction (or could it have been a Grand Duchy 80's influenced track?)

A real gem for FBF fans, not only for Pixies fans

--

Edited by - sdon on 09/24/2016 04:30:22
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  00:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re-listened to the whole album this morning (in its "clip fix" version), I clicked with many songs this time. All the saints still my favourite. Sweet vocals and lead guitar. Its amazing how i'm almost hearing different songs now.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  01:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ All The Saints is my favorite too, it's so powerful
Then it's Oona and Plaster of Paris
And the three openers HC, Classic Masher, Baal

--
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  02:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More random thoughts

Head Carrier. Love this tune esp the dirge like quality. Shades of I've been waiting for you which is my fav Pixies B-side
Getting a Back to Rome vibe from All I think about now. The very first note reminds of the the start of Caribou even before the WIMM reference kicks in
Start of Joe's guitar on All the Saints reminds of Check your Bliss by the B-52s

And I have say compression issues aside Dalgety has done a better job than Nortan on IC. The songs are sharper, tighter, leaner, Frank's singing is much better, there's hardly any of the talk-singing, I can feel it's peppered with those little titbits that I am going always make me tingle with anticipation when the song starts (I have the opposite feeling generally with IC). I would have no qualms with him producing the next one. It sounds vital.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  04:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First couple of listens were strange, it kind of passed me by - much like most FBF releases - but liking it now.

Classic Masher is fun, the opening second or 2 sounds like Announcement. The song has a bit of a 'Belly' vibe (Tanya Donnelly fan too).

The beginning of All the Saints similarly reminds me of Surf Epic / Dog in the Sand.

Baals Back...really sounded out of place to me at first but Im liking how it's a challenging listen. Like the ACDC style vocals - though the scream maybe verges a little too close to screamo/nu metal or whatever the kids call it these days.

Overall really like Paz and BF vocals together and Joey's playing. Dave's not bad either!

Liking everyones opinions on the album.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  07:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Definitely a Belly feel to CM. I wonder if they're gonna release it as a single? Not that it matters much of course. I'm a tad sad there weren't more songs like the title track. Love that sludgy Neil Young sort of sound.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  09:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2016 :  13:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man i listened several times and love the álbum, my heroes are back finally
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  15:35:44  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Charles and the band seem really really pumped about this - it's clear they're super proud of this one. That pic shows it for sure. The three released songs are, in my opinion, very much "Pixies" songs, whatever that means. I love IC, and of course it's Pixies, and honestly everything FBF has done through the years feels like part of a continuous whole to me. I know one of the concerns Charles used to explain was that they didn't want to sound "fakey." I always kind of figured that was mostly coming from the Kim side of the table, but that's just speculation. I'm not sensing any of that with what I've heard so far. It's like they said 'fuck it' (actually Joey has basically said that exactly) and did what felt like Pixies music. I cannot wait to hear the whole thing. Vinyl arrives Friday!

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  20:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oona is definitely good.

Funny how BF rythm guitar is clearly the "lead" guitar on this record. Ties up with the theory about Joey playing issues (maybe even in the studio during recording). Hope he's doing ok.

I'm a big fan of BF lead guitar, so that's not really a problem.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  21:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ what theory, the one you recently suggested?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  22:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one Broken Face suggested on page 14.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  22:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Oona is definitely good.

Funny how BF rythm guitar is clearly the "lead" guitar on this record.

Joey's lead is all over this. Where does this guff come from? Can we leave the TMZ \ national enquirer speculation out of the reviews?
This is a great site, but this uninformed, unnecessary and actually insulting speculation is bullshit.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  22:33:21  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Doesn't make sense too, because people can play great while being drunk or high
Or not
It depends

we don't know shit

That being said, Charles' rhythm really grabbed my hear this time. Joey's licks aren't that great in my opinion, with some good exceptions (Oona, All The Saints, come to mind).
I loved Joey on Indie Cindy.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  22:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

Oona is definitely good.

Funny how BF rythm guitar is clearly the "lead" guitar on this record.

Joey's lead is all over this. Where does this guff come from? Can we leave the TMZ \ national enquirer speculation out of the reviews?
This is a great site, but this uninformed, unnecessary and actually insulting speculation is bullshit.

You obviously have hearing problems & anger issues.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  23:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

[quote]Originally posted by picpic

Oona is definitely good.

You obviously have hearing problems & anger issues.

OK, so here we are on a great band's forum, who have just released their latest creation, and speculation says that because Joey is in rehab he didn't contribute to this record. (which has Joey's sound all over it.

OK - yes, you're right, I obviously have hearing and anger issues.
Sorry if it came across as angry but I just find that talk a little too close to tabloid speculation. I have been listening to the Pixies since 91 and my ears tell me Joey contributed significantly here.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  00:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a very special way to relate what other people wrote & draw your own conclusions...

And I don't have ANY issues discussing Joey problems, this is all over Pixies social media accounts including Joey himself.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/26/2016 00:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  00:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You have a very special way to relate what other people wrote & draw your own conclusions...

And I don't have ANY issues discussing Joey problems, this is all over Pixies social media accounts including Joey himself.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I've made my point. You are just speculating and its a little disrespectful of the obvious effort gone into this. No where online or in social media does it say BF plays lead on this album.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  00:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, next time I write something, I'll include a disclaimer for you:
-----
THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION AND DOES NOT REPRESENT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OR THE OFFICIAL VERSION OF THE RELATED EVENTS
-----

You're obviously speculating too ? What's the matter anyway ? What's the point of this message board ? WTF ?

Disrespectful ? Give me a break. Are we on a fucking Michael Jackson fanclub message board or what ?

--> I'M JOKING <---. But, more seriously. Speculating is the point here. And nobody has been "disrespectful"...
___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/26/2016 00:42:46
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  01:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Funny how BF rythm guitar is clearly the "lead" guitar on this record. Ties up with the theory about Joey playing issues (maybe even in the studio during recording). Hope he's doing ok."

Do you see the word "Clearly"??

Guess what? It shouldn't be there. You are speculating and reporting as fact. You are wrong. Live with it.

I guess my frustration is that this band is proud of this. Now that the news of rehab has appeared people are retrospectively creating an image which is untrue.

If you thinks that's cool. Then go for it. Personally I think its lame and would rather say so.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  01:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(don't feed the troll)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

thesilenceofthelens
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  01:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After listening to this album pretty much non-stop over the weekend in different ways, (headphones, loud sound system, laptop speakers) I can safely say that I LOVE this album. It truly is a return to form (and even the production isn't as bad as I first thought and even... gulp... sounds good!). This record just gets better and better with each listen.

That run of the first five songs are simply sublime. But then Talent hits andalmost completely stops the album dead in its tracks. Talent is going to be to this album what Silver is to Doolittle for me - the only real fault. I think if you took Talent out you'd have a near-perfect "comback" album. What I wouldn't give to have Last Night The Wolves Came Out or Women of War included on this record instead - after quite a few listens, it just feels out of place on here for me.

And while I don't like Bel Esperit, Plaster or Saints as much as the first five songs, they fit the album quite well. I'm not 100% sold on the tracklistings of the last third of the album but...

The good thing about this record is, just like their original run of albums, it leaves me wanting more. And that's a GREAT feeling to have once again.

Words can't really describe how much I adore Oona. I get the same feeling with it that I "clicked" Gouge Away, I Bleed and The Happening. I honestly think it's a near masterpiece.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  02:10:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like Talent more and more each day

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  02:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 for the "better and better" feeling over the songs. It's amazing how my impressions of a song can evolve from "what is this crap ?" to "hey, interesting" to "ok, it's great". The only song that still doesn't quite works for me (right now) is "plaster". Another D=RXT / Navajo, maybe ! We'll see on the long run.

That's a big step up from the last album indeed. No real "growers" on Indie Cindy for me.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/26/2016 02:14:38
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  03:03:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like Bel Esprit, particularly because it has a strong male-female vocal combo that is so indicative of this genre, and it's a really happy song that reminds me of old Pixies and Paz sounds a lot like Kim.

I wondered, does aynone know if there is a professional musical term for this, the male-female vocal combo. A lot of shoegaze bands are adopting this style, and I guess probably have for many years because it's so effective?

I saw Big Deal play in Edinburgh this year on their farewell tour, only it only became a farewell tour after they finished touring and decided to split up. They tend to follow this formula quite rigidly, as do Killed By 9V Batteries, Sauna Youth and the song "Fool For Your Face" by Coves is a nice example of this.

Why does this work so well for me? Is it the contrast between the female and male voice, or maybe something deep within my psyche where I'm trying to find some form of substiture for the fact I never really found my true love in life and settled down.

What was the first band to adopt this style? Pixies? My Bloody Valentine?

Male female vocal combos have always been, but this particular style that seems to form a major part of shoegaze, where they don't really so much go for complex vocal harmonies, but more simply they just kind of talk/sing at precisely the same time and on the same note.

There must be a name for it. Bel Esprit isn'ty perhaps the best example of what I mean, but you know what I mean.

Like this and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd6Qz-olFCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1mLFIq38gM

Edited by - pot on 09/26/2016 03:10:58
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  03:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great album! I cant get my head around Talent, and I find Bel Esprit to be a little boring, but otherwise this is an extremely solid album. Baal's Back->Might As Well->Oona is as good a set of three songs as anywhere else in the Pixies catalog.

Indie Cindy felt like they were trying "too hard" to write Pixies material. This album sounds effortless in comparison, and I have to assume the addition of Paz is a big reason why. The hooks seem fresh and classic at the same time. There's also a nice undercurrent of solo Frank Black vibe (Classic Masher always reminds me of If It Takes All Night), I think it works really well.

Plaster of Paris was the last song I got into because the drums are mixed like cheesy 80's production, but that's okay :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000