New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  10:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody watch this show? I absolutely loved Breaking Bad and thought the humour and funny situations that involved Saul were great to watch, so was really excited when they made a spin-off.

The first season I thought was pretty good. Not quite the 'can't afford to miss it' stuff that Breaking Bad was, but on the whole it was entertaining enough.

Season 2 started yesterday on Netflix (Amazon in the US I think).

Anybody else watching?

"The arc of triumph"

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  14:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Season 1 and really enjoyed it, will try to watch Season 2 when I can.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2016 :  10:08:11  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great show

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  11:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a little surprised when I went to watch the latest episode and it wasn't there. Turns out I'd already watched the series finale without realising. It just didn't 'feel' like I was watching a series finale at the time. Still, can't wait to see what's going to happen.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  05:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watched season 1, I'm not sure how I feel about it at this point. It might be a little too dark for my tastes...

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  15:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never watched a single full episode of Thrones or Breaking Bad or anything... although I do like Gotham. It's a bit cheesy but I'm a bit Batfan so I cannae help myself!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  15:56:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've started Season 2 of Better Call Saul and am liking it. Maybe I'm in a darker place now. :)

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5997 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2016 :  10:06:55  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Breaking Bad was too dark for me, I guess. But Better Call Saul is just right

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  16:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really?? I guess BB starts out quite dark with cancer and money problems and leaving behind a family but as that is dealt with, I think the series - in a way - got a little less focused on that and more on the building of a career in crime. Still dark, but with its 'successes' and milestones in the business that offset the spiraling down of his relationship with his family.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  14:56:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pussies. If it's dark you want then Banshee's your show. I'm afraid it's finished now forever though, after they ran out of plot during the middle of season 2. I'm not sure if the word 'dark' has a different meaning in America. It would be nice if there was a TV series that wasn't a constant bloodstream. I liked Six Feet Under a lot for it's daring to portray the more gentle, caring side of humanity in an interesting way, but then Alan Ball went over to True Blood after that, which was really cool as well and also had a bit of a gentle side. Then he became producer of Banshee? I really love(d) that series, but it was so over the top sadistic violent. Why?

What can be next for Alan Ball? Space sci-fi hope.

Uncle Mike is the real star of BCS, everyone knows that by now. But we all know he's going to dieeeee!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  04:32:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dark as in, not light, a little depressing, but you're right there are darker shows in different ways/shades. Incidentally, I did watch all of season 2 and enjoyed it. I've never heard of Banshees though, I'll have to investigate. Re-watching GOT now.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  07:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better Call Saul's really good and better than Breaking Bad.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  17:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS:

It's well made but I don't think I'd be watching it if not for Breaking Bad. I like the languid pace but at the same time, this wasn't a story I needed to see and am thus a bit removed from it. I think they really need to develop Chuck's sympathetic side, the older brother constantly (and genuinely---that's key!) helping the repentant yet constantly reneging on his repentance, younger brother.

And he's quite a ways to fall to become Saul Goodman who often voted to kill people.

I could handle several episodes of his life as Gene, as well as an overlap of what he was doing during the events of Breaking Bad without showing Walt and Jesse.

cheers

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  11:17:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Dark as in, not light, a little depressing, but you're right there are darker shows in different ways/shades. Incidentally, I did watch all of season 2 and enjoyed it. I've never heard of Banshees though, I'll have to investigate. Re-watching GOT now.

Banshee was awesome. It's a real cult show, but perhaps one for the ones who are more into S&M? I'm not at all I just want to say but it's a cool show, and you can see that it's that from watching only three episodes. You can tell from the beginning it has limited potential but they make do. Season 2 is pretty much a rehash of 1 and 3 and 4 have their own evolvement.

I don't like violence, but they made it kind of cool in a "relax, it's harmless television" Dexter kind of way. The series strengths rest a lot on the characters and the way the actors play them so well.

In a way, and you will see the parallels if you watch it, it shares a distant affinity with The A-Team. Also other things.

I came into it from the Alan Ball fanbase and grew to like it, then love it and now I consider it a cult classic. If you just think of it as a long film, which as Kubrick predicted many decades ago is pretty much what it and most other series are nowadays.

As for BCS ... *POTENTIAL I DON'T KNOW SPOILER ALERT*
I think the don't do it sign leaver was
.............fghfghgfhgfhfhfgh
fghfghfghfgh
fghfghfgh
fghfghfgGus Fring...?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  11:18:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

And you're the only person in the entire world to think that?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  11:26:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

SPOILERS:

It's well made but I don't think I'd be watching it if not for Breaking Bad. I like the languid pace but at the same time, this wasn't a story I needed to see and am thus a bit removed from it. I think they really need to develop Chuck's sympathetic side, the older brother constantly (and genuinely---that's key!) helping the repentant yet constantly reneging on his repentance, younger brother.

And he's quite a ways to fall to become Saul Goodman who often voted to kill people.

I could handle several episodes of his life as Gene, as well as an overlap of what he was doing during the events of Breaking Bad without showing Walt and Jesse.

cheers

It's hard to know where they think they are/were going with this. When I first heard of the spin off I imagined a plot by episode situation where they had Saul Goodman playing the lawyer and each episode was going to be an individal story.

But it seems they have gone for an overal series story arc (all the rage these days) instead.

Does anyone here remember Philly? Some law suit Ally McBeal-esque US drama from about the latre 90's early 2000's based in Pilladelphia. I remember watching episodes of that on TV back in 2003 late at night on channel4, back in the days when people still watched television through televisions... and it was really good. It was like Quincey in the 80's, really captivating and interesting stories, a little bit edgy. Then it just... disappeared?

That's what happened to all things before the advent of solid state computers pretty much. Someone somewhere, in Arkansas has an archive.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  04:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

And you're the only person in the entire world to think that?

what a peculiar question

Edited by - PixieSteve on 08/06/2016 04:37:22
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  11:30:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, however what you said was akin to saying something like "I think Frasier was better than Cheers" or "The latest season of The Walking Dead has been the best yet, they are really breaking new ground and the writers were 100% correct to deviate slightly from the original comics"

I like BCS but sometimes it just feels like I'm watching a TV series about a bunch of characters where nothing ever happens. Jimmy's got a new office! Jimmy left his job. Jimmy took his old job back and went back to his old office. No, wait a minute, he's resigned again. Jimmy's delivering ice cubes to his crazy brother again. After the latest flashback he's going to turn into a grifter again, and his girlfriend still can't decide what version of Jimmy she likes.

I'm of course being over cynical about it, but it just seems sometimes like an overly complex plot development of nothing. I thought it was going to be an episode by espisde court room drama, but they really went to town on the whole prequel thing. I thought they were going to take a different slant, but it's just Breaking Bad part Zero. No-one really likes flashbacks, but they work alright in this. Flashbacks within a series of flashback.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  21:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when they first announced it i thought it was going to be quite a cheesy spin off. i didn't really love his character in BB like many did, and because he played a kind of over the top comic relief role, i expected similar from BCS. and yeah, like you say, more of an episodic format.

so i was quite surprised by the maturity of the show we got and i've really enjoyed it. my partner was put off by BB early on and never watched more than a few episodes of it, but loved BCS. maybe i'll convince her to watch BB with me again, maybe i'll rediscover what was so good about it. my memory of it is that it was a bit of a silly cartoon.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  11:39:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know. It just seems like they are writing stories into scenes, as opposed to the other way about? I'm not going to give up on it because we still have Uncle Mike and we know he isn't going to die until the aftermath. I'm sure it will turn out to be a slow cooker.
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1963 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  08:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/better-call-saul-season-3-release-date-breaking-bad-gus-fring-return-confirmed-los-pollos-hermanos-a7521716.html

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  08:47:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was the battery charged?
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  23:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it was.

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  12:06:15  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You don't know that any more than the writers.

Psychological versus physical. It's all particles.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  00:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching this again, and knowing that the pacing is going to be more deliberate so to speak than BB, it helps me enjoy it more.

And there are plenty of amazing scenes and plots along the way.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  02:21:37  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to season 4.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  11:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone notice Charles funeral episode 1 season 4 towards end of episode the music played by string choir was 'The End of the Summer' from Fastman Raiderman? Or was this song sampled from something else previously?

Edit: now found the music is Siciliene op 78 and End of Summer is based on this music. Probably why the album was at one point going to be called 'The Sicilian'

Edited by - Stevio10 on 09/06/2018 07:14:40
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  23:51:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't spot that, but someone else pointed out an anachronism in the latest episode. If I told you what it was though it would be a spoiler.

3.5 seasons in I'm really starting to wonder what the point of this series actually is. Every episode is an enigma: what's Uncle Mike up to now? And then you find out at the end and you think oh that's clever.

I initially thought it was going to be an episode by episode legal case fought by Saul Goodman, but it's just another prequel. It always feels like it's building up to a climatic story arc but never does.

Kim's all over the Mesa Verda job, then she doesn't care. Jimmy's got a new job, then he doesn't want it. What is the point in all of this?

Breaking Bad had a really great story arc that built up suspense all the way through, but this series has none of that. You thinkthe story is going somewhere, then it just goes off on a tangent again.

I've kinda lost the plot over which Mexican drugs cartel is working with who as well now.

So presumably by the end of this season Jimmy will finally become Saul Goodman and then what? A final series with a story arc where we all pretty much know what is going happen?

Edited by - pot on 09/05/2018 23:58:24
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  09:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't watch season 4 yet, but I'll be looking forward to it.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  09:28:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of course you can. You're on the internet. You can watch anything.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  02:21:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bet Kim Wexler smells nice in that cardigan. Hoo! Ha!

Kim Sexler.

Edited by - pot on 09/11/2018 02:32:37
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  08:54:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We bit of No Aloha on the car radio this week. Spotted it right away. Well, I had to Shazam the song but I knew it was The Breeders. How about that?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000