Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  04:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit bummed they are leaving that studio. Now where will we get our Pixies news?
Didn't pixies record for 5-6 weeks in Wales in 2012? A few weeks seems short but they are a polished band by now so maybe they knocked it out. Or, this is just the beginning and they will be working further elsewhere on the music? Either way, hope we here something from the band itself soon.

Anyone able to check BF's Twitter account for clues?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  06:20:48  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

I'm a bit bummed they are leaving that studio. Now where will we get our Pixies news?
Didn't pixies record for 5-6 weeks in Wales in 2012? A few weeks seems short but they are a polished band by now so maybe they knocked it out. Or, this is just the beginning and they will be working further elsewhere on the music? Either way, hope we here something from the band itself soon.

I'm actually stoked that it was quickly recorded. I think they maybe took too long with Indie, even though that was a pretty great record/series of EPs. It seemed a little overcooked. I always thought Charles had the right idea with the Catholics. Get in there get it done, get out of there. Pitch fast and throw strikes.

I am a little bummed to hear that Jeremy is on bass duties instead of Paz. Jeremy is fantastic and I'm sure did an awesome job, but it keeps Paz at arms length still instead of seeming like a legit member of the band. Hey, whatever works for them. I'm not actually sure what the status of all that is since I haven't really been paying much attention lately.

I'm sure the new album will be killer regardless! Looking forward to it!

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  06:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

I'm actually stoked that it was quickly recorded. I think they maybe took too long with Indie, even though that was a pretty great record/series of EPs. It seemed a little overcooked. I always thought Charles had the right idea with the Catholics. Get in there get it done, get out of there. Pitch fast and throw strikes.

I am a little bummed to hear that Jeremy is on bass duties instead of Paz. Jeremy is fantastic and I'm sure did an awesome job, but it keeps Paz at arms length still instead of seeming like a legit member of the band. Hey, whatever works for them. I'm not actually sure what the status of all that is since I haven't really been paying much attention lately.

I'm sure the new album will be killer regardless! Looking forward to it!

Where did the Jeremy (Dubs?) on bass come from?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  09:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeremy (the studio owner) and Dubs (bass and vocals on Indie Cindy) are two different people.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/19/2015 09:03:11
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  10:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Jeremy (the studio owner) and Dubs (bass and vocals on Indie Cindy) are two different people.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I understand that of course, but I don't see where it's mentioned that any Jeremy is on bass duties for this album. Maybe I missed it?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  12:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Johnnyribcage is confusing Jeremy Dubs and this Jeremy guy that just wrapped that recording session with the Pixies.

Paz said she was recording in Canada anyway.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/19/2015 12:25:30
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  23:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very short recording cycle is fine by me, wasn't the purple tape demos done over a weekend? Plus it sounds like they've been practising some new songs for a while so they could have been in pretty right shape already. Either way it's great to know there's a new pot of songs cooking on the stove at last!
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  00:20:18  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is awesome news, I'd love to get another Pixies record by year's end. And I'm all for a quicker session = more raw sound. Loved what they did with Women of War. And I'm glad they're working with another producer, please just don't compress the hell out of this one like you did the last record....

Edited by - yarbles on 09/20/2015 00:21:12
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  04:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My comment about the shortened recording time was based on Jeremy's original comment about the 35 day session. Automatically makes me think of scrapped sessions and moving onto a different studio/engineer/ producer. I'm a worrywart though, haha. But really it's just great to get an update on the group as they all play things pretty close to the vest. I imagine it'll be silent now for awhile before things start popping up, if the sessions were to their liking.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  09:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
15 days in the sudio= 5-6 polished tracks EP, or a pretty raw full album.

Or maybe they're recording at multiple locations ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/20/2015 09:10:00
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  11:35:08  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

, please just don't compress the hell out of this one like you did the last record....

Yes. This. Not just compression though, it's layers of compression, limiting, and gain boost applied liberally during mixdown, then applied again by the mastering process that creates that dreaded "loudness wars" effect. A lot of times I think it's out of the band's control these days.

They ought to change the term mastering to bastarding.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  22:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The blurb on the studio's website is promising;

Welcome to The Canterbury Music Company.
1974 Neve Console. Classic Vintage Mics and Equipment. Pro Tools HD3. Grand Piano. Large Live Studio with 5 Separation Areas. 2 Edit/Overdub Rooms. Highly Experienced Engineers. Downtown Location. Free Parking.

Our goal is to make the best quality recordings with the best equipment available at a cost affordable to all. To make it a fun enjoyable stress free experience, where creativity can flourish unhindered by technology.

The free parking probably secured the deal!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  03:36:10  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

1974 Neve Console.

Oh mama!

Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  04:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spotted that too......

Cant wait for this record

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  08:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who produced?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  08:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neve console... and a nice ProTools setup with tons of limiters/compressors plugins.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/22/2015 08:53:39
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2015 :  01:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehehe

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2015 :  10:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pixies have been in Bath, England for the past few days. Any potential studios / producers in the area?

Looks like its close to Gil Norton's studio in Monmouthshire...

Edited by - Stevio10 on 11/09/2015 11:11:10
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  07:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Joey twitted about some local food. Charles gave some clues, too. What makes you think they're in Bath ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  08:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Joeys Instagram, Bath is set as the location in one of his photos from a few days ago. The King Richard mentioned in the BF tweet is a pub/restaurant in Bath where they were having dinner.
Dave and Paz in a photo there too.

Other than that don't know anything else.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  11:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah. Missed that. So, they are recording at different places. Pretty exciting.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  13:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well spotted! And it seems they're still there going off Frank's latest tweet.

It's also worth noting that both Joey and Frank have recently followed Rockfield Studio producer/engineer Tom Dalgety on twitter, who also just so happens to reside in Bath.

Not sure what all this means, but fingers crossed it means getting that special guest...
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  13:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another potentially worthwhile note... On Tom's Instagram account he posted a short clip of the Pixies playing live 7 weeks ago in, yep, Toronto. Was he out there with them? He was certainly in the USA during October, so it's very possible.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  15:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you guys are thinking Gil Norton is producing again? Not sure how to feel about that. Glad something is happening again though.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  17:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Jake said, probably not Gil.

Rockfield studios is bit far, and the Pixies looks busy in Bath.

Theres a few recording studios in Bath city including Riverside studios. Looks like Tom Dalgety already worked there on a few occasions...

Dalgety also worked for the band Royal Blood, which opened for the Pixies US tour last year.
___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 11/10/2015 18:06:21
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  19:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Theres a few recording studios in Bath city including Riverside studios. Looks like Tom Dalgety already worked there on a few occasions...

Dalgety also worked for the band Royal Blood, which opened for the Pixies US tour last year.
___
"Service Unavailable"

Nice connection there. I just read above that Bath was supposedly close to Gil's studio but didn't research it myself. I'd be excited to hear they are going in a different direction on this new music.

Anyone got any screen caps or links to the Instagram/Twitter posts in question? Or can you transcribe the applicable tweets from BF?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  00:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On BF's Instagram the photo of the Pixies having dinner had a mystery dude there also. A quick Google of Tom Dalgety confirms it is him.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  01:23:35  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSHS6_GJsNw 2011 footage of Royal Blood recording at Rockfield.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  01:34:07  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://vimeo.com/groups/loretzatriverside/videos/86320581 Here you can watch a group called The Bad Apples recording at Riverside Studios.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  01:40:56  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2m6SzSjpMA More footage of the Riverside Studios.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  03:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great vid find Pixie Punk.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  23:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  12:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've sat on this for a while but seeing as not too much is happening at the moment I may as well share it. It's very, very, very possible this has absolutely nothing to do with Pixies, however on the off chance it does...

A few weeks back I was looking into what was happening with one of my favourite bands Future Of The Left (the group that arose from the ashes of Mclusky) and out of the blue the bands bassist Julia Ruzicka (ex-Million Dead) posted a tweet/instagram message saying:

"Last night at Real World studios we got to record a very special vocalist for the album I'm working on. Great fun and very exciting. It'll be out early next year. No spoilers people who know! xx ps. The dude in the pic is Alessandro. Not the vocalist, but a very nice chap indeed :) hello! Thanks for your help."

Knowing that this recording was likely taking place in the UK and knowing that the Pixies were currently there (The post is dated 19th November 2015) and a 'special vocalist' was supposedly going to feature on some new material (but never made the Toronto sessions) naturally it peaked my interest and so I decided to check out where exactly Real World Studio is. Lo and behold, it turns out it's 5 miles away from Bath - exactly where the Pixies have been chilling with producer Tom Dalgety.

Exploring further I found out that Julia posted the following on Facebook a few weeks earlier:

"Urgent! Anyone know of a good recording studio in the Bath area? Or roughly in that part of the country? Need it for one day only, possibly not even a whole day, and not even for a full band. A high profile artist, easy set up, and within a date range from 5th Nov to 15th Nov. thanks all! xx"

To which she then replies to some feedback telling her about Real World Studios.

Enter Charlie Francis (Producer/Mixer/Engineer) who also tweeted on the 19th of November:

"Last night recorded a vocal with an alt rock legend - more than that I can't say right now. He was very nice, and vocal? - perfect."

Was this the same event? Absolutely. Not only was the tweet liked by Julia but also he was the sole individual to like her Facebook post asking about studios around Bath.

The big question... was this Pixies related? Who knows? It involved a recording a vocal for a "very special, high profile, alternative rock legend", just outside Bath, just when the Pixies were in town hanging out with a producer (albeit not Charlie Francis). The event sounds very much 'vocal only' occasion - perhaps a sign of it being a recording for a featured vocalist (Hence "Need it for one day only, possibly not even a whole day, and not even for a full band"), something we know was on the cards but had not happened not too much earlier. Interesting stuff, eh. I'll keep everyone posted if anything else happens - more sleuthing to be done it seems!

Edited by - jake3 on 12/28/2015 13:36:43
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  12:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. Originally I thought it could be a featured recording of Robyn Hitchcock as not only did he like that specific Charlie Francis's tweet, but Joey has recently started following him on twitter and Frank recently retweeted a post or 2 of his (plus he has also stated his love for one of his albums in the past), but unfortunately it seems he was touring the USA at the time. So... I guess we can cross his name off.

This may take some time.

Edited by - jake3 on 12/28/2015 12:48:10
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  02:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting find, let us know if you get any more info! You are the greatest...sleuth!

As an aside, I was having a few glasses (turned into bottles) of wine to celebrate my birthday a few weeks ago. As someone who follows on twitter but never tweets, I drunk up the courage to tweet (replying on an entirely unrelated tweet he ppsted that day) Tom Dalgety and flat out asked him if he was producing Pixies.

I received a very prompt, polite request for me to delete the tweet which I noticed the following day and did so in my sober state!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000