Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Who are the heart and soul of the Pixies to you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  13:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^Or were... I'll start.

BF would have to be the heart of the band, with Joey no doubt being the soul of the Pixies and the songs. It's just not a Pixies song without him.

May or may not be obvious, though I'm starting to realize how ridiculously relevant Joey has been to the band, just now. I haven't really given it a lot of thought before - rather thought of his guitar work as just really cool.

Joseph Santiago is God.

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  18:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoginLeSand

^Or were... I'll start.

BF would have to be the heart of the band, with Joey no doubt being the soul of the Pixies and the songs. It's just not a Pixies song without him.

May or may not be obvious, though I'm starting to realize how ridiculously relevant Joey has been to the band, just now. I haven't really given it a lot of thought before - rather thought of his guitar work as just really cool.

Joseph Santiago is God.

When interviewed for the documentary, Gouge, David Bowie said some very nice things about Santiago. I don't think he mentioned Kim at all.

The core of the Pixies are Thompson and Santiago. I also like David, he's a decent drummer, and a good-natured doofus. It's obvious that Kim was divisive from the start. She was contemptuous of the guys from the beginning, and especially of Thompson.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  23:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, not to diminish the role of Kim Deal or David Lovering but without the combination and interplay of BF/Joey there is no Pixies.

While musical influences do not determine your own sound, it certainly forms a large part of 'who' you want to be and what you want to sound like.

With Joey and BF, you can tell their musical influences were very important in forming their sound, especially in the early stages of the band.

It isn't a huge surprise to hear them mention bands like The Velvet Underground, The Ventures, The Beatles to name a few.

When it comes to Kim and Dave, their influences appear to be less integral to the overall sound with Dave mentioning Rush as a major influence and Kim mentioning artists such as Rod Stewart and Whitesnake.

Im in no way saying that their influences are limited to the artists mentioned or that their roles in the band are not important - they are, and are very competent - but when it comes to the identity of sound, Joey and BF pretty much paved the way - in my view atleast.

Certainly when they all came together it created this magical fusion of noise, energy and harmony where the sum of the parts are often bigger than the individual components.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  04:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I agree, not to diminish the role of Kim Deal or David Lovering but without the combination and interplay of BF/Joey there is no Pixies.

While musical influences do not determine your own sound, it certainly forms a large part of 'who' you want to be and what you want to sound like.

With Joey and BF, you can tell their musical influences were very important in forming their sound, especially in the early stages of the band.

It isn't a huge surprise to hear them mention bands like The Velvet Underground, The Ventures, The Beatles to name a few.

When it comes to Kim and Dave, their influences appear to be less integral to the overall sound with Dave mentioning Rush as a major influence and Kim mentioning artists such as Rod Stewart and Whitesnake.

Im in no way saying that their influences are limited to the artists mentioned or that their roles in the band are not important - they are, and are very competent - but when it comes to the identity of sound, Joey and BF pretty much paved the way - in my view atleast.

Certainly when they all came together it created this magical fusion of noise, energy and harmony where the sum of the parts are often bigger than the individual components.

The only positive thing about Kim was her voice, which is nice, and the fact that she was Thompson's clueless foil, little musical jokes that he set up, and which she didn't understand, which is what made the joke. I don't think she gets it to this day.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  06:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At first, what I most liked was the contrast between the voices, growly and silky. I agree with Albini that Kim Deal has the best female rock voice ever, and it always worked magic whatever the band (Sonic Youth's Little Trouble Girl, This Mortal Coil's Me and My Sister). Then I started to appreciate the contrast and interplay between the guitars. I would say the soul of the pixies is in this duality both Joey and Kim had with Charles

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 04/13/2015 06:54:18
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  10:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:
Originally posted by DoginLeSand

^Or were... I'll start.

Joseph Santiago is God.

When interviewed for the documentary, Gouge, David Bowie said some very nice things about Santiago. I don't think he mentioned Kim at all.

The core of the Pixies are Thompson and Santiago. I also like David, he's a decent drummer, and a good-natured doofus. It's obvious that Kim was divisive from the start. She was contemptuous of the guys from the beginning, and especially of Thompson.

I love David's drumming. It's very restrained and sort of proper.

Like, when he kept the hi-hat closed, he kept it fucking closed, for instance. It also felt sort of as if he scored the songs, kinda. He never messed around.

Playing Pixies songs have made me a better drummer.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  10:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

At first, what I most liked was the contrast between the voices, growly and silky. I agree with Albini that Kim Deal has the best female rock voice ever, and it always worked magic whatever the band (Sonic Youth's Little Trouble Girl, This Mortal Coil's Me and My Sister). Then I started to appreciate the contrast and interplay between the guitars. I would say the soul of the pixies is in this duality both Joey and Kim had with Charles.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

For me, Kim isn't necessarily the greatest singer out there, but rather someone with one of the best voices out there (if that makes sense).

It's also kinda interesting how Kim and Charles are pretty much polar opposites, when it comes to how they write songs.

Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  06:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pretty much agree with most others here.

BF is the drive. He just does what he always does, whether solo or not: he writes songs and works hard.

Joey is the brakes and the spice. He rejects stuff he doesn't like. He also adds that special Pixies flavour to the songs he does like.

So they are the bicameral heart of the band. Losing any of the two others is more like losing a limb than a heart attack. Paz makes for a very decent prosthetic. (Which is how they treat her. She still isn't "official".)

By the way, Joey also rejects people he doesn't like. BF and Kim Shattuck clearly like each other, they really hit it on in those few joint solo trials they did. But that extraverted personality must have been grating on Joey. Then she jumped off the stage to shake some fans' hands. I saw the video. BF was looking on and smiling, he didn't seem to mind. It must have been Joey who used that as a convenient excuse to get rid.

As much as yet another change of lineup upset me at the time, in hindsight I have to admit it was the right decision. Paz is a much better fit.

So, while BF provides the material, there's really only one guy who is ultimately in charge of the Pixies, and it ain't BF, it's Joey. This is probably even more true now than it was in the past.

Of course, the above speculation is worth what you paid for it.

There's one other thing. Kim Deal was the band's stage personality. Without her, it barely has any, and that is certainly being missed.

Then again, anyone else notice Joey has been smiling all the time since Paz joined?

Edited by - McDutchie on 04/14/2015 06:12:57
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  07:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

I pretty much agree with most others here.

BF is the drive. He just does what he always does, whether solo or not: he writes songs and works hard.

Joey is the brakes and the spice. He rejects stuff he doesn't like. He also adds that special Pixies flavour to the songs he does like.

So they are the bicameral heart of the band. Losing any of the two others is more like losing a limb than a heart attack. Paz makes for a very decent prosthetic. (Which is how they treat her. She still isn't "official".)

By the way, Joey also rejects people he doesn't like. BF and Kim Shattuck clearly like each other, they really hit it on in those few joint solo trials they did. But that extraverted personality must have been grating on Joey. Then she jumped off the stage to shake some fans' hands. I saw the video. BF was looking on and smiling, he didn't seem to mind. It must have been Joey who used that as a convenient excuse to get rid.

As much as yet another change of lineup upset me at the time, in hindsight I have to admit it was the right decision. Paz is a much better fit.

So, while BF provides the material, there's really only one guy who is ultimately in charge of the Pixies, and it ain't BF, it's Joey. This is probably even more true now than it was in the past.

Of course, the above speculation is worth what you paid for it.

There's one other thing. Kim Deal was the band's stage personality. Without her, it barely has any, and that is certainly being missed.

Then again, anyone else notice Joey has been smiling all the time since Paz joined?

Good post, makes a lot of sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  14:14:17  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Charles,Joey,Kim and Dave made history in that order.They all inspired me to play better and have been the only band to make me travel from La Isla del Encanto to see the reunion.And sad but true I could not travel to see the Sex Pistols reunion.Lucky I saw KISS with Ace and Peter.Working at The Hard Rock Cafe I met the new members of the band and they rock too.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2015 :  12:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

You could say that.

https://youtu.be/YpLqtG_kyac?t=52s
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2015 :  15:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh. So much for old Mr. Stoic :)
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  12:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having given it a little more thought, Kim and Dave are the heart - the pulse, the beat the rhythm. BF is the brain and soul - thecreator - with JS being the flesh and blood adding texture, beautiful and vulgar tones in equal measure.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  08:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a very... Anatomical interpretation. Cool.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000