Page: of 2

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  02:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

When brettwb1 came onto the forum asking for questions to submit to Joey, I asked if Kim was intended to sing on any of the tracks and was lucky enough to get it included into the interview:

Q. "What was the extent of Kim Deal’s participation in the sessions before leaving, how much did she get done and were there any songs intended for her to sing on?"

A. "She never intended to sing on a song, or do vocals on a song. So I don’t know what that was about. Bass part wise they were kind of almost there, because it was just a root. She would change stuff arrangement wise, she would change things. She would come up with bass parts of her own at times. Yeah, that’s it."

Now clearly Joey doesn't mean backing vocals, but obviously lead vocals instead.

I still think Kim may have had at least a little left to contribute with in terms of backing vocals.

Her influence on the band is pretty overstated by some, but she wasn't useless, like I get the feeling some people here seem to think.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  05:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not too interested in the reasons why Kim Deal left but find it interesting its a subject she hasnt commented on.

Would be surprised if Paz isn't on next tour, don't see any conflicting tours with the Entrance Band etc...did she ever get her Bass back??

On the recent demos by BF there was a blurb with the songs;

LAST NIGHT THE WOLVES CAME OUT
this song has been demoed several times over the last couple years. It was originally included in potential song list for the Pixies' Indy Cindy LP. It might end up in that repertoire or perhaps a solo LP

O LITTLE CLOUD
Cloud was also demoed for INDY CINDY. I've been performing it recently at solo shows. I've been talking with my good friend and producer ERIC DREW FELDMAN about how we might imagine it again in the future

New material by BF solo or Pixies is always special so either way I look forward to the next release, no new additions on the BMI list presently.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  08:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

My guess as to why Kim quit the Pixies mid session... She heard the instrumental demos and was on board. But at the session, she heard the lyrics for the first time and realized half of them were about the Pixies, and her in particular, and she got a little freaked out. Frank's lyrics are can be interpreted many different ways, and she read them the worst way possible and just got up and split. Just a stupid hypothesis, but my two cents, anyhow.

1c

Half the songs are about Kim? Not sure if serious. I doubt that Thompson would give her the satisfaction of writing even a single song about her, even though Kim seems to have written a song about him.

He admitted to writing You Ain't Me about her. Not that it really matters.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  13:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Not too interested in the reasons why Kim Deal left but find it interesting its a subject she hasnt commented on.

Would be surprised if Paz isn't on next tour, don't see any conflicting tours with the Entrance Band etc...did she ever get her Bass back??

this song has been demoed several times over the last couple years. It was originally included in potential song list for the Pixies' Indy Cindy LP. It might end up in that repertoire or perhaps a solo LP

O LITTLE CLOUD
Cloud was also demoed for INDY CINDY. I've been performing it recently at solo shows. I've been talking with my good friend and producer ERIC DREW FELDMAN about how we might imagine it again in the future

New material by BF solo or Pixies is always special so either way I look forward to the next release, no new additions on the BMI list presently.

Eric Drew Feldman, damn. Neat.

Seeing as you seem like sort of an insider, I gotta ask, are there really no NDAs when it comes to this stuff, or do posters simply decide to leak the stuff anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  01:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoginLeSand

quote:

O LITTLE CLOUD

Eric Drew Feldman, damn. Neat.

Seeing as you seem like sort of an insider, I gotta ask, are there really no NDAs when it comes to this stuff, or do posters simply decide to leak the stuff anyway?

Those demos were posted by BF himself in an email to fans. There were some Indie Cindy demos around but not posted online except for 'What Goes Boom'.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  09:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh? Holy crap, had no idea FB still goes on here.

Cool.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  03:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

Sorry, dont have any inside knowledge, just regurgitated info and a slice of speculation regrettably.

Think Helmut may be the closest to having inside info, think he has a source who worked in a studio for Indie Cindy demo recordings back in 2012 or so
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2015 :  00:25:18  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, dont have any inside knowledge, just regurgitated info and a slice of speculation regrettably.

Think Helmut may be the closest to having inside info, think he has a source who worked in a studio for Indie Cindy demo recordings back in 2012 or so
[/quote]

Yes you are correct, but the last time I spoke to them was late last year before new Pixies paydays were announced. In that time BF may well have done his album, or Pixies may be back at work writing new songs. Plenty can change in a few months, although Kim hasn't rejoined. I really don't think she is welcome.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2015 :  12:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

quote:

Yes you are correct, but the last time I spoke to them was late last year before new Pixies paydays were announced. In that time BF may well have done his album, or Pixies may be back at work writing new songs. Plenty can change in a few months, although Kim hasn't rejoined. I really don't think she is welcome.
[/quote]

Huh, I always had the impression they were on good terms. Oh, well, I like Paz. I'm hoping she'll sing on whatever they have coming up.

Seeing as you're sort of the insider here, what actually did happen to those Indie Cindy demos that were on here?
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  13:36:31  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't have the Indie Cindy demos, all I know is BF is considering recording some of them for his upcoming solo album which is still in the planning stages....he has a shed load of material to use,two to three albums worth of demos from my estimate. Not sure why he is spending so much time as the ten track album he did with Dubbs was releasable by BF standards. Maybe he wants to do something great like his first two solo albums rather than just put out another hit or miss collection of songs?

In terms of the Pixies, they are just doing some festivals at this stage. No plans to record new material and there is no demand anymore so it's just some more pay days. This of course could change, but most are happy with playing and getting paid. Paz is still in, Kim Deal is missing out on some easy money due to her belligerence.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  03:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.pixiesmusic.com/2015/02/north-america-2015/

Paz on bass, and...

"The tour will also set the stage for the debut of some brand-new Pixies songs, written and arranged just in the past few months."

woohoo

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 02/23/2015 03:26:43
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  04:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Paz on bass, and...

"The tour will also set the stage for the debut of some brand-new Pixies songs, written and arranged just in the past few months."

woohoo

___
"Service Unavailable"

Very exciting news and (new) music to my ears after all the rumors.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  06:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paz on bass, and...

woohoo

___
"Service Unavailable"

Glad I came onto the forum even though the server is slow. I got the tour announcement via email but it did not mention new songs.

Very very very exciting
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  10:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

I don't have the Indie Cindy demos, all I know is BF is considering recording some of them for his upcoming solo album which is still in the planning stages....he has a shed load of material to use,two to three albums worth of demos from my estimate. Not sure why he is spending so much time as the ten track album he did with Dubbs was releasable by BF standards. Maybe he wants to do something great like his first two solo albums rather than just put out another hit or miss collection of songs?

I suppose only he knows the answer to that question. I didn't find Indie Cindy to be a "hit or miss collection", though. The man doesn't write bad songs. Like, he can try, but they still come out enjoyable and/or least hilarious by my standards.

Hell, I love Dancing The Manta Ray and The Seus is some sort of masterpiece.

quote:
In terms of the Pixies, they are just doing some festivals at this stage. No plans to record new material and there is no demand anymore so it's just some more pay days. This of course could change, but most are happy with playing and getting paid. Paz is still in, Kim Deal is missing out on some easy money due to her belligerence.

Paz is great. Interesting to hear they got new stuff to play the coming tour.

Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  10:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So there's hope for hearing a Pixies version of Classic Masher, and O Little Cloud...

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  11:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They could release a Jaime Bravo video to promote the upcoming tour. And play it on stage !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  22:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news! "brand-new Pixies songs, written and arranged just in the past few months."

Interesting that its 'arranged' rather than 'recorded', maybe they will get a feel for the new material live before recording?
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  00:22:44  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why is Paz still a guest member? Thomson isn't having Deal back anytime soon. Some hints were passed on from one Pixies member to another about getting together to write via someone on this site, it would be awesome if this was the catalyst for the new songs. Their certain brand of dysfuctionality and some of the people that hang off them and wrap them in cotton wool hinder them to an extent. At the end of the day all we want is fuckin' new Pixies songs, and they are the only ones who can give them to us. I don't see why it is so hard?

Playing the songs in before recording them is a great idea, the new album will be a lot more dynamic as a result and any questionable parts will be ironed out. The Pixies want to be challenged again and become a vital force instead of a nostalgic dad band.
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  08:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Steve that there is a good chance that they want to get a feel for the new material live, before they start recording it... I'd hazard a guess that the ever simplifying backing vocals on 'Bagboy' could have influenced this. Smart move I believe!

'Classic Masher' has surely got to be one of the new songs up to be played. They really should have made a big effort to get it on the last record, even if it was written after the rest of the material had been recorded. It didn't stop them flying Gil out to South America when Frank wrote 'Blown Away' on the road. Indie Cindy was the long awaited comeback record, so any chances to strengthen it should have been jumped on immediately! If they managed to record 'Women of War' I'm sure time could have been made for 'Classic Masher'.

It'll be interesting to see if any songs outside of the BMI playlist cannon show. 'O'Little Cloud', 'Um Chagga Lagga' and 'When the Wolves Came Out' (my favourite of the three) are all alright songs of a similar quality, however they pale compared to most of the tracks on Indie Cindy, in my opinion. I'd take any of them over 'Ring the Bell' though! ha

Apart from the lucky few who have heard the Indie Demos we've still yet to hear the following:
1) Alice Prin [A song Frank described in a magazine interview]
2) Banks of the Drain
3) Land of Green [This could be an alternative title or precursor song to 'Another Toe in the Ocean']
4) Pickerel Picker
5) Rats Alive
6) Tranquilize Me
7) Una

Plus any others we are yet to be privy to. So including 'Classic Masher' we have a potential 7-8 to keep an eye out for.

One thing I hope doesn't happen is we get a new record made up of Indie Cindy rejects. That would be a shame, but knowing Frank, being the grafter he is, I doubt this will happen. One thing I do hope will happen is some faster paced songs will materialise. One of the problems with Indie Cindy (a record I rate highly) is the fact all the songs are so similarly paced. The Pixies were known for having these fast, punky numbers thrown into their albums and seeming as Frank can still pull them off live, it would be great to hear a few new ones... I'm sure the audience will agree too!

Keep up the good work Frank & the Gang! (and tell Gil and Vaughan Oliver to get their arses into gear this time... poor show by them)
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  08:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, hopefully by playing the songs live first, they'll nail the tempo of them before recording them. 'Greens and Blues' is much better at a faster tempo.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  09:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgot to mention, hopefully by playing the songs live first, they'll nail the tempo of them before recording them. 'Greens and Blues' is much better at a faster tempo.

Can't wait until videos start popping up of the new songs. Could proabably let them grow on us, and when they do decide to record them it'll be fucking awesome.

I too prefer Greens And Blues at a a higher tempo. Also, I prefer the electric version. I like that it's kick heavy. Lovering did a good job on that one.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  10:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Keep up the good work Frank & the Gang! (and tell Gil and Vaughan Oliver to get their arses into gear this time... poor show by them)

Am I the only one to actually like the album artwork ? I like the new Pixies logo and the artworks reminds me of some Ralph Steadman drawings... (Maybe a bit too much...)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  11:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they do intend to record I hope it's without Gill Norton. Indy Cindy was far too slick.

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  12:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doubt there will be any new album this year. I also hope that if or when one does come out it's with another producer - greatly enjoyed how rough Women of War sounds. Plus, the raw guitar work of O Little Cloud has been in my head for months and I can't imagine it becoming a slick Indie Cindy-esque cut. Makes me think of Galaxie 500 which is no bad thing.

Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  13:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Am I the only one to actually like the album artwork ? I like the new Pixies logo and the artworks reminds me of some Ralph Steadman drawings... (Maybe a bit too much...)

Maybe? I don't know what the general consensus is on this forum, but I found the Indie Cindy LP cover to be underwhelming, particularly stood next to previous Pixies albums. I liked the Bagboy, EP1 and EP2 covers, the drawings were great (Well done Ian Pollock!), but the images on the Indie Cindy LP looked like a collection of the worst offcuts they had left (minus the robot head). The 'everyone look at me' florescent orange coupled with the large Pixies heading came across as very corporate on the shelves... like they were deliberately trying to grab everyones attentions. Album artwork should be a piece of art... not a poster. It just looked very cheap, and amateur to me. The florescent orange actually looked better in real life, compared to the dull digital version, despite its faults.

Basically I felt the material was there, but it was just managed poorly... a little like the production of the record. I don't know what Gil's impact was in regards to the songwriting process, but the production was very poor. 'Greens and Blues', 'Indie Cindy', 'Silver Snail' and 'Andro Queen' felt really raw and energetic when Frank played them live in his solo shows (this being before Bagboy was released) and the versions we have on the album just sound, cheap, shiny and compressed to hell. Again corporate springs to mind. I THINK Frank hinted that he himself might not be entirely pleased with the production... just by the way he responded in an interview I read a while back in which he mentions he'd be open to trying a different producer next time. Unless Gil, really steps up his game, a different producer is a must for next time around.

Speaking of corporate... the entire process stank of it... releasing a collection of EPs and claiming the LP was dead due to short attention spans... then a compilation of the same EPs as an LP... Ka-Ching!... Videos for every song on the album for maximum exposure? Me thinks they're trying to hard... or more probably this manager of theirs... hmm... food for thought.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  13:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with everyone that this is exciting and gives me renewed hope about the future of the band. And we all know that while Indie Cindy has it's moments, the follow-up was the one to really get hyped for. More raw, more weird, Frank varying his vocal style and upping the tempo on at least some of the tracks seems like an initial recipe for success.

But regardless, it's just good to know they are working on new stuff. They've all mentioned that the next time out they'd like to toughen the edges a bit, and possibly work with someone new so I would think Gil is out.

Women of War was a good track, but I still feel like BF will have a difficult time recapturing the strangeness and oddly sexual tone of some of the earlier stuff. I'd like to see his freak flag fly a bit more. But as a married man with children, I can understand if that isn't as natural as it was previously.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  13:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe? I don't know what the general consensus is on this forum, but I found the Indie Cindy LP cover to be underwhelming, particularly stood next to previous Pixies albums. I liked the Bagboy, EP1 and EP2 covers, the drawings were great (Well done Ian Pollock!), but the images on the Indie Cindy LP looked like a collection of the worst offcuts they had left (minus the robot head). The 'everyone look at me' florescent orange coupled with the large Pixies heading came across as very corporate on the shelves... like they were deliberately trying to grab everyones attentions. Album artwork should be a piece of art... not a poster. It just looked very cheap, and amateur to me. The florescent orange actually looked better in real life, compared to the dull digital version, despite its faults.

Basically I felt the material was there, but it was just managed poorly... a little like the production of the record. I don't know what Gil's impact was in regards to the songwriting process, but the production was very poor. 'Greens and Blues', 'Indie Cindy', 'Silver Snail' and 'Andro Queen' felt really raw and energetic when Frank played them live in his solo shows (this being before Bagboy was released) and the versions we have on the album just sound, cheap, shiny and compressed to hell. Again corporate springs to mind. I THINK Frank hinted that he himself might not be entirely pleased with the production... just by the way he responded in an interview I read a while back in which he mentions he'd be open to trying a different producer next time. Unless Gil, really steps up his game, a different producer is a must for next time around.

Speaking of corporate... the entire process stank of it... releasing a collection of EPs and claiming the LP was dead due to short attention spans... then a compilation of the same EPs as an LP... Ka-Ching!... Videos for every song on the album for maximum exposure? Me thinks they're trying to hard... or more probably this manager of theirs... hmm... food for thought.

Agree completely about the artwork, and I'd extend it to the album title which is regrettable.

Can't fault them for following the manager's path, it worked in terms of exposure. The band's choice of Norton and allowing him to clean the recordings up so much seems to be the largest issue with the comeback era.

I didn't think much of the 3 demos released last year, but they've grown on me. With work they could be stellar tracks.

Edited by - natenate101 on 02/26/2015 13:40:58
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2015 :  14:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree completely about the artwork, and I'd extend it to the album title which is regrettable.

Can't fault them for following the manager's path, it worked in terms of exposure. The band's choice of Norton and allowing him to clean the recordings up so much seems to be the largest issue with the comeback era.

I didn't think much of the 3 demos released last year, but they've grown on me. With work they could be stellar tracks.

Yeah, the album title was definitely on the poor side, (not that any other song title would sound overly appropriate either)... but I'm sure they could have done much better job on that.

True, I can't blame them for going for maximum exposure, although I'm not entirely convinced that they needed it. Reputation alone would have done a good chunk of it. The approach kept them in the press for a while I must say though.

Norton is definitely most at fault though, in my eyes. You don't have to gaze in wonder at the album cover... at the end of the day the album title, is just an album title... but the records... the recordings last forever.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  04:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  04:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't seriously blame Norton, or the cover art for indie cindy's failures without mentioning FB. Indie cindy wasn't a bad album, but it definitely could have used some re-writes, especially considering it was a pixies comeback album.

The best work FB ever did was music that took YEARS to make. Think of the first two albums. They sat on those songs for a long time before they were released, and the doolittle demos demonstrate how good of a producer Norton is.

Seems like Indie cindy wasn't fully realized before they went into the studio, with certain tracks being created on the spot. And it showed. FB, for whatever reason has a tendency to rush things, and a guy like Norton was and is excellent at allowing a song to evolve into something great from mediocrity.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1065 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  04:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I would like to hear on any future release is just press the record button and let them play.

I don't think Indie Cindy is disappointing, but at times it can sound like an album who lost a key member and a producer who tried to over compensate for that loss.

Its doubtful that the Pixies could have recorded at all without Gil, so Im thankful the album not only exists for the material but to now be in a position that allows them to continue and possibly evolve again.

The Pixies shouldn't be synonymous with Gil Norton though (or Steve Albini for that matter), I recall BF said he would like Tom Waits to produce a new Pixies album and it'd be that sort of artistic progression youd expect from the band.

Women of War shows a different sound without Gil and thats why Im excited about what comes next, whether Gil is involved or not. And a new Catholics album please.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
231 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  06:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not so sure that the "best work" took years to make. The Catholics years were marked by a sense of spontaneity that yielded, in my opinion, some of his "best work". Same holds true for the two Tiven-produced Frank Black albums. I guess it's all relative and a matter of opinion. At the end of the day, FB is a prolific artist. Therein lies the talent. I think sitting on songs for a long time stands in the way of his creativity. As do record labels, band members, managers, and producers that like to press pause for reasons that don't really hold water. Maybe I am just longing for the album-a-year days. I sincerely hope something will come out in the near future.

-oddball
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  09:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

You can't seriously blame Norton, or the cover art for indie cindy's failures without mentioning FB. Indie cindy wasn't a bad album, but it definitely could have used some re-writes, especially considering it was a pixies comeback album.

The best work FB ever did was music that took YEARS to make. Think of the first two albums. They sat on those songs for a long time before they were released, and the doolittle demos demonstrate how good of a producer Norton is.

Seems like Indie cindy wasn't fully realized before they went into the studio, with certain tracks being created on the spot. And it showed. FB, for whatever reason has a tendency to rush things, and a guy like Norton was and is excellent at allowing a song to evolve into something great from mediocrity.

I think overall Frank did a commendable job and proved that he was still capable of writing songs that were strong enough to have been part of the Pixies discography of old... which is more than a challenge and a half. I personally believe it was his strongest batch of songs since his first 2 solo records, real proof that he had far from lost his touch. In no way do I feel Indie Cindy was a failure. There certainly was a mixed response to the album, but many people were comparing it to their past releases... some of the best alternative rock albums ever, so it was no surprise really. Personally I thought it was 2 good songs short, (plus vastly improved production) of being something really special. And arguably they had at least one in 'Classic Masher' in the bank, which is why it is so annoying they didn't capitalise on it and include it. Like I said before, this was the big comeback and any opportunity to improve the record should have been pounced upon immediately. I agree some of the tracks do sound like they need to be developed a little more and that's why I think playing them live first is a smart move. In no way have I knocked Gil's ability to help the band write, I have no idea how profound his contributions were and I thought he was the perfect choice to work with again however his production on the album was poor. If his contributions were big, then I have no issue with them working with him again, I just hope the next record is produced as well as 'Doolittle', 'Bossanova' and 'Trompe le Monde'. Why shouldn't it be.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000