Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2015 :  04:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6436685/beck-the-pixies-my-morning-jacket-boston-calling-2015

Let the specualtion begin!

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  07:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MY SPECULATION: The Pixies will be playing in Boston.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  22:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha! Though speculation is futile and Im sure all details will be revealed in due course, I thought the news they are performing this year may prompt some comment or crackpot theories from some sections of the forum!

As much as I dislike speculation in the media etc I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to comments from the likes of Helmut, Fissile, Pot etc (not to single anyone out intentionally, they just spring to mind!) call it a guilty pleasure if you will.

So the news that they are performing in 2015 is a bit contradictory to Helmut's theory that BF has the Pixies on hiatus.

What of that speculative upcoming solo album?

Will these summer festival shows lead to a full tour?

Who will be playing bass?

Will they play new material?

Like I say Im sure this will be clear in due course, but thought the news of upcoming shows this year would cause a bit more...well...news.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  11:02:41  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The main issue was Black Francis the artist wanting to make new music vs the other Pixies who want to be good players. This is why we have had only 14 new songs since 2003. Doing some festivals makes sense as they all need to eat and need a few pay days. Last I heard Black Francis was looking for a studio to do his new album in, I haven't really followed it up. The 3 demos that were sent out were pretty raw, there are 7 more in the can but if they sound like the others they need some more work....which is exactly BF thoughts.

With any luck this show means they are getting together again after six months off and will hopefully start on album #7. I suggested to Joey he might want to get the ball rolling on this #128540;
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  12:55:08  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pixies look like they are filling up their schedule of summer shows. It will be interesting to see if they work up new songs in rehearsals for the shows or keep touring Indie Cindy and the hits. I suspect there may be some resistance from members just wanting to get paid, but I may be wrong. A new tour EP wouldn't be hard and would be a good compromise...
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  13:08:44  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kim, on the other hand, will be kicking herself for quitting. Her goal of breaking up the Pixies failed and The Breeders are a money pit with all profits likely to go in the piecemeal recording of the new album which they are only 2 tracks into. A run of Pixies dates would have served her bank balance well.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  00:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helmut, what was the source on the whole thing with BF wanting to make new music, Joey and Dave wanting become better musicians instead, Kim S annoying the hell out of Joey and Dave, Dave doing pot, etc.

Who was that guy who posted the stuff, even?
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  13:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Kim, on the other hand, will be kicking herself for quitting. Her goal of breaking up the Pixies failed and The Breeders are a money pit with all profits likely to go in the piecemeal recording of the new album which they are only 2 tracks into. A run of Pixies dates would have served her bank balance well.

Kim is not poor, she doesn't need any more money. I don't know why she quit the Pixies, it may eventually come out, but it wasn't so she could do a new Breeders project. I suspect the Breeders were resurrected so Kelley would have something to do besides knitting all day.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/23/2015 13:12:53
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  18:12:13  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:

Kim is not poor, she doesn't need any more money. I don't know why she quit the Pixies, it may eventually come out, but it wasn't so she could do a new Breeders project. I suspect the Breeders were resurrected so Kelley would have something to do besides knitting all day.

My theory as to why she quit the Pixies was because she agreed to do an EP of 4 songs, and she didn't want to do an album half-assed if she wasn't into it. Hence her taking so long getting her parts down. Rather than put her name to some of the lesser songs on the album she walked out as a power play so that they would compromise and beg her to come back to finish the songs she liked and release and tour an EP. When she suggested she come back to the sessions, they already had Ding to play her parts and decided to push on with an entire album and BF and everyone else in Camp Pixie were over her games so they sent word back that she wasn't needed. That is why she lost it and told them to erase her parts. I think this is as close to the truth as we will get, and it comes from bit and pieces they've hinted at in interviews. At the end of the day you are only as strong as your weakest link.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  22:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoginLeSand

Helmut, what was the source on the whole thing with BF wanting to make new music, Joey and Dave wanting become better musicians instead, Kim S annoying the hell out of Joey and Dave, Dave doing pot, etc.

Who was that guy who posted the stuff, even?

i was wondering the same thing.
helmut keeps repeating this, but i have no idea where that came from.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  01:50:04  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I spoke to someone in the Black Francis/Pixies inner circle to get the low down. I'm not gonna reveal any more as they no doubt read this on occasion.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  03:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dates for this summer just seemed a bit soon, to me atleast. Thought it would be longer before they reconvened.

Not that they need new material to justify their presence, although at festivals it often helps.

Intrigued whether it will be a continuation of the Indie Cindy tour (though I think this has officially concluded?) or something new.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  04:05:38  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see the Jaime Bravo video.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  07:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope its to promote new material and not milk Indy Cindy any further

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  11:38:41  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They played plenty of festival dates 2007-09 post reunion tour and pre-Doolittle never-ending tour without new material. They were just getting pay days as Kim blocked the new album (remember in 2008 when we though Minotaur was the new album, but it was another repackaging of old albums?). This will be more of the same, bands don't need new music to tour anymore as no one buys or demands it so why bother? Look how Indie Cindy was received, a solid comeback that got panned on release (if it was released in 1993 it would have been a huge crossover hit selling millions). The Pixies can play shows for another five years before anyone demands a new album, it is just a money making nostalgia machine. I reckon we will hear a few new songs or Indie Cindy outtakes being reworked in the set, but 80% of the set will be the golden oldies.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  17:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I spoke to someone in the Black Francis/Pixies inner circle to get the low down. I'm not gonna reveal any more as they no doubt read this on occasion.

Pretty sure you shared a link with the guy's posts on a forum about the whole thing, too.

I lost the link, though. Maybe that's for the better.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  02:08:27  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Pretty sure you shared a link with the guy's posts on a forum about the whole thing, too.

I lost the link, though. Maybe that's for the better.

Yeah this is the link http://www.soundreliance.com/post/the-pixies-thread-7171233?highlight=pixies
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  07:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can basically tell that post is probably entirely fabricated, due to the fact it offers basically nothing that hasn't been speculated before, and uses cliches such as the compression on Indie Cindy ruining the album.
I guess Kim liking feces is new, and is pretty ridiculous.
I think a new FB solo album is equally improbable, as he has already said that won't happen. He might release something with his wife. Also, stating that Joey and Dave want to "perfect their instruments" is down right laughable.

Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  07:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the guy may be making things up completely.

All I know is that there's a guy with the same username as him, who has run into FB and the Pixies a few times. It's probably the same guy, but of course, running into them doesn't mean one would know all the stuff he posted.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  11:39:03  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Believe what you want or don't want, or maybe do your own research beyond the often painfully awkward band interviews. Fissle is on the money here. Kelley Deal is the only one whose ever mentioned anything about Kim's departure from their camp, saying she didn't quit due to The Breeders tour. I really do think it boils down to her wanting to do an EP vs Black Francis wanting to do an album, and her power play to get her way backfired.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  13:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of it, I do want to believe. At least the stuff about Charles and Kim being on good terms. Some of it just sounds absurd though. Then again, it's the Pixies.

It's just that there's no proof, whatsoever. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  14:37:37  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Kim S feaces story isn't really something you could make up, BF explained it in interviews as her personality being west coast extrovert vs three introverts. Also the part about her playing being average and Joey and Dave pushing for her removal make sense, Joey seemed most irate with her comments about the band after she was fired (calling her and leaving messages to tell her to back off). Anyway I hope they just crank out a limited edition EP for the next run of shows.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  16:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Believe what you want or don't want, or maybe do your own research beyond the often painfully awkward band interviews. Fissle is on the money here. Kelley Deal is the only one whose ever mentioned anything about Kim's departure from their camp, saying she didn't quit due to The Breeders tour. I really do think it boils down to her wanting to do an EP vs Black Francis wanting to do an album, and her power play to get her way backfired.

I think she quit because she wanted a change in the business arrangements. A few years back Thompson said something in an interview about how 'certain members' of the band wanted a change in the business terms. I took this to mean that Kim was probably demanding writing credits, or a bigger percentage, or both. I think she agreed to do the new album, then got over to Wales and started making demands, Thompson refused and she left. She probably thought Thompson would beg her to come back, he called her bluff, and it's now history. I don't think there is any more to it than that.

BTW, after Kim left the band, Thompson's wife put up an interesting post on her Facebook page basically accusing Deal of being a burnt out old ex-junkie that could no longer function like a normal human being. The post was taken down after a few hours. I don't think Thompson will have her back. It costs a lot of money to book time in a studio, hire a producer, fly everyone and their gear to Wales. I'm sure that money would have come out of Thompson's pocket if they packed up and left after Kim abandoned the project. That was really a shitty and immature thing for Kim to do. In any case, the Pixies have proven that they can continue to work, and make money as a band, while the current Breeders project looks like it's shaping up to be Title TK Part Deux.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  21:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

while the current Breeders project looks like it's shaping up to be Title TK Part Deux.

bring it on!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  23:17:27  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Violets infamous post regarding Kim Deal:

Regarding the past nine years: If anyone thinks it was easy for the other Pixies to function and be a vital, real band, with the bass player that they had, then they simply don't know what I know. I've seen people glibly talk smack about the reunion tours being just about making money. That maybe someone we all know simply rejected the new material because it was sub-par and she's discriminating and is protective of the legacy, etc etc. But you have no idea.... NO IDEA. Sometimes people are challenged, and they are difficult to work with. Sometimes these people did a lot of damage to themselves with alcohol and drugs. And its hard to reason with people who aren't reasonable. If you long for the original bass player to be in the band, then you are casting your vote for the other three members of the otherwise vital, eager Pixies to roll over and die, to be imprisoned within the shells of their former creative selves, and to struggle vainly, and/or sell out, forever. The time came for a jailbreak. Rejoice!
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  07:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Violets infamous post regarding Kim Deal:

Regarding the past nine years: If anyone thinks it was easy for the other Pixies to function and be a vital, real band, with the bass player that they had, then they simply don't know what I know. I've seen people glibly talk smack about the reunion tours being just about making money. That maybe someone we all know simply rejected the new material because it was sub-par and she's discriminating and is protective of the legacy, etc etc. But you have no idea.... NO IDEA. Sometimes people are challenged, and they are difficult to work with. Sometimes these people did a lot of damage to themselves with alcohol and drugs. And its hard to reason with people who aren't reasonable. If you long for the original bass player to be in the band, then you are casting your vote for the other three members of the otherwise vital, eager Pixies to roll over and die, to be imprisoned within the shells of their former creative selves, and to struggle vainly, and/or sell out, forever. The time came for a jailbreak. Rejoice!

Thank you. I believe Violet. I think Kim and her sister were unstable from the start, and the substance abuse just put the last nail in the coffin. I doubt that Thompson would have her back, even if she begged to come back. Thompson kept her on because the audience demanded it, but Kim's whack-a-doodle personality eventually depleted whatever good will she had with the public.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  09:03:41  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although Deal is allegedly welcome back to the band at any time, Thompson doubts she will return. No one in the Pixies camp has had anything to do with her since she left, not even a phone call.
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  09:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't Kim say something about "if anyone needs anymore bass" over the phone to Charles, but he tought it didn't sound very committed so he just brushed it off?
Go to Top of Page

DoginLeSand
- FB Fan -

Sweden
34 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  09:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping they'll play Women Of War live in 2015, by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  09:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn't Kim say something about "if anyone needs anymore bass" over the phone to Charles, but he tought it didn't sound very committed so he just brushed it off?

That's what Thompson said. He added that it wasn't enough of a commitment. I recall him saying that the only thing consistent about her was her singing voice. Ouch.

Edited by - Fissile on 01/26/2015 09:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  12:27:24  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thompson said that anyone can do the bass parts as Pixies bass is just root notes or repetitive riffs, hence getting Ding in to salvage the sessions. Thompson had written her vocal parts with Jeremy Dubbs doing her parts on the demos and it is speculated Greens and Blues was written for Kim to sing. She was also welcome to contribute her songs to the album but she came in with nothing except a bad and sabotaging attitude.

Everyone loves Paz and she fits the part well, the band would break up if they kept Deal. The cute 20 something is now a bitter and substance ravaged 50 something with nothing to offer the Pixies. Her solo stuff is decent so everyone wins right?
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  14:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When brettwb1 came onto the forum asking for questions to submit to Joey, I asked if Kim was intended to sing on any of the tracks and was lucky enough to get it included into the interview:

Q. "What was the extent of Kim Deal’s participation in the sessions before leaving, how much did she get done and were there any songs intended for her to sing on?"

A. "She never intended to sing on a song, or do vocals on a song. So I don’t know what that was about. Bass part wise they were kind of almost there, because it was just a root. She would change stuff arrangement wise, she would change things. She would come up with bass parts of her own at times. Yeah, that’s it."

Now clearly Joey doesn't mean backing vocals, but obviously lead vocals instead.

Edited by - jake3 on 01/26/2015 14:35:11
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  02:01:19  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My guess as to why Kim quit the Pixies mid session... She heard the instrumental demos and was on board. But at the session, she heard the lyrics for the first time and realized half of them were about the Pixies, and her in particular, and she got a little freaked out. Frank's lyrics are can be interpreted many different ways, and she read them the worst way possible and just got up and split. Just a stupid hypothesis, but my two cents, anyhow.

1c
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  02:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim sure looks strange and hard to get along with. She looks like a pain in the *ss, but she does not look like a substance-ravaged train wreck either. I thought she had ben sober for years ?

I'd be more concerned about Dave. In backstage videos of late, he's often drinking wine and looks red-faced and kind of confused. Joey behavior looks odd, too.

Regarding greatest hits show, they simply can't avoid it. Ask the Stones or AC/DC to perform new-songs-sets only, they would be booed off too. On the latest tour, they played almost every new song (except Ring the Bell and Jaime Bravo ?). They just don't have enough material yet to avoid the greatest hits.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  03:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the impression that any pre-reunion song is being referred to as "greatest hit" in these discussions, and i don't think that's fair.
i mean, i wouldn't really know how to divide the pixies songs between "greatest hits" and others (singles vs. the rest?), but i have the impression they play a bit of everything, and not just a narrow "greatest hits" selection.

back in 2004, i could understand the demand for more bossanova or trompe le monde, because there was very little of that in the first reunion shows, but after that, i thought they mixed it up quite nicely, with songs from all albums, including plenty of non-singles and a couple of b-sides.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  16:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

My guess as to why Kim quit the Pixies mid session... She heard the instrumental demos and was on board. But at the session, she heard the lyrics for the first time and realized half of them were about the Pixies, and her in particular, and she got a little freaked out. Frank's lyrics are can be interpreted many different ways, and she read them the worst way possible and just got up and split. Just a stupid hypothesis, but my two cents, anyhow.

1c

Half the songs are about Kim? Not sure if serious. I doubt that Thompson would give her the satisfaction of writing even a single song about her, even though Kim seems to have written a song about him.

I Wanna Get Along

We were rich once
Before your head exploded
Imagine doing just what the Big Bang did

The whole world
Knew it was loaded
Wave bye bye 'cause
It ain't ever coming down, now

I just wanna get along
I just wanna get along
I just wanna get along

I look up the heads fly over