Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  09:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As posted on Facebook:

quote:
Black Francis and Pixies will embark upon the last leg of their North American tour starting in San Diego, California on September 27th. In his time off from tour, Frank Black has been hanging out in Easthampton, Massachusetts recording studios Autumn Den and Sonelab, working on brand new material with local musician Jeremy Dubs (of Pixies' "Bagboy"). You can catch the Pixies at the following dates/venues:

I'm guessing it's with Pixies in mind but you never know.

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  12:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does say Frank Black though.....
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

294 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  03:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Why not Black Francis?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  03:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

quote:

Why not Black Francis?

? Beats me. But there must be a reason it specifically says FB. It was posted on Black Francis' FB page. Wierd.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  04:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last time he was making demos, did he knew it was for Pixies ? I think I heard he was just trying out things, not knowing where it might lead him. At least that's what was said in the interview back then.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  05:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Last time he was making demos, did he knew it was for Pixies ? I think I heard he was just trying out things, not knowing where it might lead him. At least that's what was said in the interview back then.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think he made the Pixies demos specifically for the band, as they had several sessions working on the songs. The different names in this announcement makes me wonder.any clues on his twitter feed?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  08:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not Black Francis?

? Beats me. But there must be a reason it specifically says FB. It was posted on Black Francis' FB page. Wierd.

On a similar note, the post also says that he's working on "material", which could mean a lot of things. Maybe he's knitting scarves!!

I'm gonna go e-mail the scoop to Pitchfork. "Frank Black knitting scarves in Northampton."
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  09:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They might give it a 8/10

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  13:44:06  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't he say Frank Black was dead? It was all Pixies from here on out? Not that I ever believed that or that it matters in any way. I would love to hear it, whatever he calls himself

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  21:08:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Didn't he say Frank Black was dead? It was all Pixies from here on out?

Well he had a Pixies record to sell...

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  21:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guncotton

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  23:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, maybe he is working on new Catholics songs, to fill up the Box for Christmas.

Wishful thinking?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  23:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, wait a minute, maybe he's working on a brand new Grand Duchy project with Jeremy Dubs on bass (and sent a fax to terminate Violet Clark)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 09/16/2014 23:51:19
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  02:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why not Black Francis?

On a similar note, the post also says that he's working on "material", which could mean a lot of things. Maybe he's knitting scarves!!

I'm gonna go e-mail the scoop to Pitchfork. "Frank Black knitting scarves in Northampton."

Haha, they would probably say something like, "Black's trademark Fair Isle Knit is instanty recognisable but while in 1989 his scarf was original and genre defining, in 2014 it blends in like any other knit"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  02:36:23  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Haha, they would probably say something like, "Black's trademark Fair Isle Knit is instanty recognisable but while in 1989 his scarf was original and genre defining, in 2014 it blends in like any other knit"

"plus, he's fat (no pun intended)".
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  09:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cult_Of_Frank was recently implying in another thread that there is a new BF song
"Black Francis - Jury's Out"
Any insider news?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  09:35:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, no, that was just a joke. No insider news at the moment (or for the last couple years really).

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  10:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

He going into biz with Kelley?

http://store.kelleydeal.com/

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  06:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He did the last bunch of demos with Jeremy Dubs, so if I were to wager I would say these are Pixies demos again? How long ago were the last demos finished, 2-3 years ago?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  06:36:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeremy said something like "I just recorded an album with Frank Black" on facebook though, so maybe it's something like the Paley&Francis record.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  22:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't he say something recently when asked on how he should be addressed that with the Pixies he is Black Francis, away from the Pixies he is Frank Black?
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  03:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope its for a Pixies record, it'd be nicer if he demoed with Joey though

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1220 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  04:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep agree with that. Indie Cindy feels a little over rehearsed to me. I'd like a more spontaneous approach a la Women of War.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  22:50:08  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Now Kim is out I'm not sure they need to demo the life out of the next batch of songs. Surely the new line up can hash the songs out in a practice room then go lay them down in a studio, try and keep some semblance of freshness..
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  23:54:45  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Pixies are very much over for now, the next album is Frank Black solo. I hope he does some of those Pixies demos justice this time.
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  11:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

The Pixies are very much over for now, the next album is Frank Black solo. I hope he does some of those Pixies demos justice this time.

Noooooooooooo!!!

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2014 :  18:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

that's... kind of a bummer. much as i'm sure he wont disappoint, i was really hoping they were going to make a go of the band. i mean, they've got classic masher up their sleeve!
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  23:34:10  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Charles wants to push the band in new directions musically, the other three are players perfecting their instruments and stage craft happy to tour the same songs.

Anyway the story is here: http://www.soundreliance.com/post/the-pixies-thread-7171233
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  00:34:14  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you write that stuff on the other forum yourself? I'm gonna guess you did. Anyway it seems legit and I like to think BF doesn't like the album mix. But I'd be surprised if Dave and Joey really didn't want to record new songs. They certainly don't want the band to disappear again, and I don't see how it could last without new songs. They did that for 10 years but I don't think they could pull it again.
Plus I want to hear some recordings with Paz :)

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  01:00:34  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I did write it and cbf'ed rewriting it. Pixies will no doubt do stuff down the track with this line up. I'm not privy to why Dave, Joey and Paz don't want to do album #7 since the material is written. Another year touring 12 new songs and 25 year old material would make BF bored considering he writes about 2 solid albums a year. I just don't know why one of these albums isn't a Pixies one. They seemed up for it earlier in the year. Maybe the failure of the album to live up to impossible expectations and the dramas with the Kim's was a bit much?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  06:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of that stuff is already known and not revelatory. The rest seems plausible but I also can't see why Joey and Paz wouldn't want to soldier on with new stuff. Dave has said 1,000,000 times how nice he found the Indie Cindy sessions so not sure why he would be shy to do it again. The weed head thing seems kinda silly.

If BF really wants to take the band in new directions, maybe he needs some new songs because those 3 demos don't sound like they are pushing boundaries or anything. It's hard to believe such gossip but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  07:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what three demos? what am i missing out on!?!
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  10:30:38  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Those 3 demos aren't earmarked as Pixies songs, the planned Eric Drew Feldman sessions plans to include some Pixies demos. I have no idea why the other three don't want to record right now, I suspect they will later as all 4 are happy with the current line up. Maybe an album and a tour a year is a bit much when your pushing 50 (Charles excluded, that's all he does lol) ?
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1870 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  10:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

Paz is great, I really like her. Great bass player, great musician & stuff, looks adorable & easygoing. But her singing is just terrible and doesn't fit at all... That's really the only thing that bothers me about her.

Sometimes Joey & Dave are scaring me. They messed up so many times on the last tour, even on simple riffs or drum fills. Just hope it was just from exhaustion.

Anyway, did the 3 other Pixies ever wrote anything on previous albums ? I guess most of the material, even bass lines & drum ideas came from Charles. Except for Joey "scoring" some songs himself (he said he did that for Jaime Bravo, well that was brilliant). But I assume the next album is mainly upon BF's shoulders.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 11/18/2014 10:35:22
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  11:32:32  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They need another strong singer like Kim, neither of her replacements come close. Jeremy Dubs comes the closest to sounding like Kim lol. Indie Cindy was a strong set up songs that fell flat, maybe this resonated badly on them?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  13:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why Paz has to sound like Kim? Can't they develop a sound that works with her voice? Guest vocalists could work too.

Those 3 demos seem quite tame to me. I can understand of the others weren't all jazzed up by them. Remember Charles had to win them ALL over in order to make a new album. They went through several phases of demos to get to those finished tracks. Maybe Joey and Dave are being choosy.

Saying Indie Cindy fell flat is a bit off to me. There were many critics, but many reviewed liked it, some loved it, and most fans seem content with it as a first shot out of the gate after so long. The real excitement for most on here seems to be about what comes next?

Edited by - natenate101 on 11/18/2014 13:15:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000