New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  02:16:28  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
2007 was the time for the great Pixies comeback album...Charles had run through skeletal versions of songs that would become Bluefinger with the other Pixies, but Deal wasn't having it. It sounds like a two-thirds complete Pixies album, with some Paz backings and Joey's guitar work it would have been the classic Pixies album we all wanted. Then Svn Fingers fleshed out with the Christmass songs earmarked for Pixies album #6 would have been the icing on the cake. Instead we got Minotaur reissue and Doolittle again. Thompson may have put the brakes on Pixies the first time around, but Deal certainly got her revenge the second time around...plus some massive pay days...

I hope Thompson rekindles the magic of 2007-08 in a Pixies context with Deal no longer stifling the band.

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  04:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Threshold apprehension is a classic pixies number.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
908 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  04:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my understanding Threshold was recorded as a bonus track for his Best Of album, and he proceeded to write and record the rest of the album during those sessions, so I don't see how they could have been brought to the Pixies beforehand.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  08:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

2007 was the time for the great Pixies comeback album...Charles had run through skeletal versions of songs that would become Bluefinger with the other Pixies, but Deal wasn't having it. It sounds like a two-thirds complete Pixies album, with some Paz backings and Joey's guitar work it would have been the classic Pixies album we all wanted. Then Svn Fingers fleshed out with the Christmass songs earmarked for Pixies album #6 would have been the icing on the cake. Instead we got Minotaur reissue and Doolittle again. Thompson may have put the brakes on Pixies the first time around, but Deal certainly got her revenge the second time around...plus some massive pay days...

I hope Thompson rekindles the magic of 2007-08 in a Pixies context with Deal no longer stifling the band.

Yup. I gotta think she believed her quitting would lead to the guys begging, or to a final break-up. Didn't happen. Not only didn't it happen, the guys are continuing to play big venues and she's off playing Bob's Bail Bonds and Hookah Parlor.

It's pretty clear that Thompson is playing chess while Kim is playing checkers.....playing checkers while impaired.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  11:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its nice to imagine Bluefinger as done by the Pixies but its equally great the way it is. Theres maybe too much focus on a Pixies release (these days) that has to tick so many boxes before even recording begins that perhaps some of the quirkiness and imperfections of a solo BF/FB release are lost. I am probably totally wrong but Bluefinger is great.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  16:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I consider it a Found Black Francis Album

Edited by - Jason on 08/28/2014 16:52:33
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  22:00:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger is no Pixies.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  09:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tight Black Rubber + Threshold Apprehension + Bluefinger + Gyaneshwar + Demon Girl + Dead Man's Curve + I Sent Away + The Seus + Seven Fingers + Fort Wayne
that would have been my perfect Pixies comeback album
oh boy

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Edited by - sdon on 08/29/2014 09:03:13
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  14:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stupid thread. You chumps should be talking about Guncotton.

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  16:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy with Bluefinger as is but it's an interesting idea. Angels Come to Comfort You seems like it would've been a great song to highlight Kim Deal's voice.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2014 :  22:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an interview recently where BF said (or something along the lines of) that solo material released in the last 6 years had the Pixies in mind.

Bluefinger received some great reviews, if the Pixies had released it how do you think it would have been received?

PS I take back my comments previously, after listening to Indie Cindy again it has plenty of quirkiness and oddness.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  02:25:36  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pitchfork only gave Bluefinger 6.8...I wonder if it would have gotten a 1 if it was a Pixies album?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  11:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger got 73 on Metacritic, joint highest with DITS (no self titled, TOTY or CoR on Metacritic). Interestingly Bsides by Pixies got 89 with Pitchfork giving it 9.6 out of 10. Though Bsides is good that score is insane. When it was released in 2001 post Fight Club, Pitchfork et al were busy writing their version of Pixies grande legacy through their own vision to suit their own needs, it was probably seen as the last water from the well.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  05:52:54  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian, please lock me out of this part of the forum. every time i read something here i get dumber and thus am unable to stop myself from clicking on these threads. it's a vicious cycle. save me from myself.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  01:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

Brian, please lock me out of this part of the forum.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Wouldn't it be easier for Brian to lock Mr Helmut Fissile in?

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  02:59:45  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Myself and Fissile have the right to an opinion. At least we are interesting...
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  05:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have my own opinion about your level of interestingness.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  21:40:05  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger was more of a Pixies album than Trompe Le Monde and the second half of Indie Cindy.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  00:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's funny, because trompe le monde and indie cindy are actual pixies albums. your definition of a pixies album must be a bit skewed.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  02:08:03  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joey played on Frank Black and it was produced by Gil Norton so using the Indie Cindy definition of what constitutes a Pixies album then that is album number six.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  03:36:29  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope they release the other song recorded during the Bam Thwok session, this was the real reunion and they band sounded like they were having fun. Too bad everyone shat on it and killed Kim's confidence in new Pixies music or we may have had Bluefinger released by the Pixies. Criticism by fans like Discoking and Jose Jones killed the Pixies creatively when they were at their peak, and instead they released a Kim-less dad rock album that sits somewhere between Foo Fighters and Cult of Ray.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  03:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
criticism by fans like discoking? ha! you can't be serious.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  04:59:11  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

and it was produced by Gil Norton

Are you drunk?
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  11:59:25  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Produced by EDF, whatevs....he was all over TLM anyway. Pixies über fans smothered the band to death. We deserve mediocracy and a compromised line up and ten years of greatest hits shows because that is what we asked for. If we accepted Bam Thwok then things would be very different today.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  13:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joey played on Frank Black and it was produced by Gil Norton

I guess that makes you an unterfan
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2014 :  17:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what i think of some of indie cindy's songs aside (and i mostly really like to love them), it's an INCREDIBLE showing for Frank as a songwriter.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  15:32:30  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

they released a Kim-less dad rock album that sits somewhere between Foo Fighters and Cult of Ray.

What exactly is ... dad rock?

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  23:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Wiktionary;

dadrock (uncountable)
1.Rock music performed by aging male rock stars, especially such music of the 1960s.

A little harsh, Indie Cindy has 5-6 songs that stand up with the best stuff.

If you take Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds as a comparison and say they disbanded after 1990's 'The Good Son' then their first reunited release was 2013's 'Push the Sky Away'. Regardless of quality it sounds very different to their previous material.

Pixies haven't had the luxury of evolution (as a recording band) over the past 23 years, heres hoping what comes after Indie Cindy gives them the opportunity to make up for that time.

PS, Cult of Ray doesn't deserve the raw deal it gets, I overlooked it for the last 10-15 years but has some fantastic moments, 'Jesus Was Right' outro especially is my current fave.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  05:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cult of Ray is underrated; it's a great album. The two instrumentals are amazing and the title track is incredible. It is a blistering rock album and a style that wasn't returned to till Bluefinger. I love the FB & the C's albums but there's definitely an evolution away from the higher energy of Ray. Not that the Catholics didn't rock, they did but Cult felt like the end of something, though it was really the beginning, since it could be considered a Catholics album since the same people played.

Following up Teenager with another Teenager wouldn't have been good, I'm glad he gave us Cult of Ray and then the Catholics.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  11:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hope they release the other song recorded during the Bam Thwok session, this was the real reunion and they band sounded like they were having fun. Too bad everyone shat on it and killed Kim's confidence in new Pixies music or we may have had Bluefinger released by the Pixies. Criticism by fans like Discoking and Jose Jones killed the Pixies creatively when they were at their peak, and instead they released a Kim-less dad rock album that sits somewhere between Foo Fighters and Cult of Ray.

i think you're giving the fan-base and the influence they may have a little too much credit.

From Pixtionary:

Dadless Kim-rock
1. when a band is creatively stifled by the personal problems of an aging member resulting in satisficing and excessive delays to new material.

I think we would have had a Pixies album 6 or 7 years earlier had it not been for the bad deal.

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."

Edited by - shineoftheever on 10/08/2014 11:01:19
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2014 :  11:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Cult of Ray" is good stuff.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  23:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

"Cult of Ray" is good stuff.

Well, a handfull of songs, maybe, but it's one of the few FB/BF albums that I listen to, thinking it has more misses than hits, even if the energy is there.

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  00:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First 6 songs on CoR are great classic FB, the remaining 7 are solid...if I were to compare it to another FB album (not that I should) it would likely be Devil's Workshop - equally has great first 6 songs and the rest solid.

I recently saw the video for 'I Don't Want to Hurt You (Every Single Time)', it was a great FB period. Take the best bits from CoR and Oddballs and you have a hell of an album.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  16:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny that you would mention "I don't want to hurt you", Stevio10 : I just came across that video too, and I hadn't heard the song in a while, and it really stood out as a great song. I went back and listened to the Cult of Ray and Oddballs. Very creative songwriting - I never understood how a song like "Village of the Sun" could be 'just' a b-side. Or Can I Get a Witness... Many good tunes, for sure.
Go to Top of Page

presley1
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2014 :  11:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Threshold Apprehension is definitely very Pixies, far better than the awful 'Silver Snail'!!

Oh my golly!
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  17:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by presley1

Threshold Apprehension is definitely very Pixies, far better than the awful 'Silver Snail'!!

Oh my golly!

Agree
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000