Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  11:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything Black Francis is doing right now is a betrayal of what he proclaimed before. I can't see that in any other way that a tragic+pathetic renunciation. I'm out, i wont write anymore in this forum, not a fan anymore. I don't even want to listen to the old pixies records. Albini was right saying the pixies were a scam. David Bowie is the real shit and remember Brian Eno didnt procuce any of the Berlin trilogy. Adios

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  12:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice post count
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  15:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love drama queens......I'm lying, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Bye!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  21:50:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did he fuck your wife or something?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  22:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

Everything Black Francis is doing right now is a betrayal of what he proclaimed before. I can't see that in any other way that a tragic+pathetic renunciation. I'm out, i wont write anymore in this forum, not a fan anymore. I don't even want to listen to the old pixies records. Albini was right saying the pixies were a scam. David Bowie is the real shit and remember Brian Eno didnt procuce any of the Berlin trilogy. Adios

excuse me, but HA!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  00:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh... Come on, it is true that this place has lost something for a while but it's not reason to get angry and blame entertainers, dancing bears & drama queens

Anyway, fare thee well, and remember: It all is disco :)

++++
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  00:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

nice post count

It is coming from France.
They know.

++++
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  03:09:58  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope they do a double album of punk and surf and tour the fuck outta it
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  03:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what exactly is lame?
(can you be less vague than "everything black francis is doing right now"?)

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  04:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

and remember Brian Eno didnt procuce any of the Berlin trilogy.

i will try to remember this.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  04:08:44  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As much as I love Bowie... you gotta admit his last album is mostly crap.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  05:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think everything Frank Black has been dong, i.e. recording new music with Joey and Dave is completely true to himself as an artist and fits his modus operandi. The man writes and records a lot of music and I'm sure if Kim hadn't protested new music, we'd have had new albums by them years ago. I don't see how anything connected to Indie Cindy is hypocritical for Frank, assuming that's what is being referred to.

This doesn't even read like most of Grotesque's posts in the past, perhaps the account was hacked?

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 07/30/2014 05:44:14
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  06:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

I think everything Frank Black has been dong, i.e. recording new music with Joey and Dave is completely true to himself as an artist and fits his modus operandi. The man writes and records a lot of music and I'm sure if Kim hadn't protested new music, we'd have had new albums by them years ago. I don't see how anything connected to Indie Cindy is hypocritical for Frank, assuming that's what is being referred to.

This doesn't even read like most of Grotesque's posts in the past, perhaps the account was hacked?

Kim didn't 'protest new music". Why does she keep putting out her own lame shit? She's was being a pain-in-ass, in other words, she was being Kim. The more I see of this, the more I believe the guys are damn happy to be rid of her.

Edited by - Fissile on 07/30/2014 06:04:12
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  06:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My impression from interviews is that Kim was the reason they didn't release new music sooner. I'm not talking about quality control or when they tried to jam out new tunes and it didn't work; I'm referring to the actual idea of going forward with new music as the Pixies. That's what I meant by protested. My point though is that Frank is incredibly prolific and Indie Cindy is just another example of that and in my opinion, nothing hypocritical at all.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  08:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If 'Classic Masher' is on the next Pixies album, Grotesque could be on to something. That song is a Catholics song, if there ever was one. And it's kind of a boring one at that.
What happened to the "no solo songs on Pixies shows"??
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  08:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everything Black Francis is doing right now is a betrayal of what he proclaimed before.

Including Amherst Stuckists?

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  09:55:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyway has Frank done anything recently? Last thing I knew they were touring Europe but that's the only news I've had.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  15:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what my post count is

Oh, ok

Edited by - danjersey on 07/30/2014 15:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  21:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Anyway has Frank done anything recently?

i don't know exactly what charles was doing at the moment grotesque made his post, but maybe it wasn't music related at all.
not recycling a plastic bottle? jaywalking? deciding to sit down to have a wee? trying out a new night cream? calling his wife "princess"? watching repeats of friends? farting in an elevator? forgetting to put his napkin on his lap during dinner? thinking "those damn teenagers" while walking through town? removing the old "welcome" mat at the front door?
it could be anything.
whatever it was, though, it must've upset grotesque tremendously.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  00:09:37  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kim hasn't put out a decent album in 20 years, and even Last Splash was more art than solid songs. Frank has put out at least half a dozen classics, not to mention good songs hidden on his average albums. Thanks to Kim's nonsense Bluefinger wasn't the Pixies comeback album. I think Kim's artistic well is dry, did you hear that last single she did? A 2year old on a Casio would come up with something better.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  01:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Kim hasn't put out a decent album in 20 years, and even Last Splash was more art than solid songs. Frank has put out at least half a dozen classics, not to mention good songs hidden on his average albums.

so basically you're saying that frank has won, and kim lost. game over.
interesting. thanks for sharing that!

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  04:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't care if someone doesn't like Frank's work, but I will say that I don't recall him ever having "proclaimed" anything about what kind of music he'll continue to make or how. He's just kept on keeping on and that's about it.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  04:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Kim hasn't put out a decent album in 20 years, and even Last Splash was more art than solid songs. Frank has put out at least half a dozen classics, not to mention good songs hidden on his average albums.

so basically you're saying that frank has won, and kim lost. game over.
interesting. thanks for sharing that!

it's educational

The success of Last Splash was all style over substance. It was the pinnacle of the MTV era. Kim and her twin were young, attractive women, with goofy endearing personalities, perfect match for MTV. What lasting impression has the Breeders made on music?

During the initial Pixies run, Thompson did an interview where he was asked if selling a million CDs was how he defined success. Thompson replied that it depended on how you sold those million CDs. You could sell a million CDs this year, and be in the discount bin the next year, or you could sell 50K CDs every year for 20 years and that said more about you as an artist. Well, that was very prescient, because that's exactly what happened. The Pixies continue to receive high praise from critics to this day. Every year a new group of hip music fans discovers the Pixies. How about the Breeders?

The Pixies have staying power and the Breeders were a flash in the pan. I think that Kim very badly miscalculated abandoning the Pixies.....if that's what happened and the other 3 didn't actually throw her out.

Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  08:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SO CHARLES LIKE TOTALLY WON, OR WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? WHAT SCORE IS A GOOD INDICATION OF THIS WIN? 3-2? OR RATHER 6-1? thanks.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  14:57:18  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No, Grotesque won by claiming Frank Black is a sell out. I called the Pixies on that when they re-released their old albums under the guise of a new album... The infamous Minotaur sham. At least they are releasing ok music and are tighter than ever with Paz, I'm happy with 3-4 good songs in every batch of 12.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  21:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
minotaur was sold as a "new album"? i must've missed that press release. it always seemed to be a reissue of their old albums to me. and guess what: i didn't buy it. nobody made me. GOSH IM SO ANGRY OMG FUCKING SELLOUTS REISSUING THEIR OLD ALBUMS AND WHATNOT JESUS

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  22:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:

excuse me, but HA!

it's educational

I thought you're gone ?!

----------------------------------
you probably thought i'm a shy guy
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  00:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one accuses authors of "selling out" because of books with new covers or new editions. I thought Minotaur was for hardcore collectors and maybe people who've never owned the albums and want to make a huge commitment. I didn't buy it, why would I? I don't need a fancy box and frankly (no pun intended, ha ha) I was unimpressed with the art. No, actually, I thought it was FUCKING TERRIBLE. A penis doodle? Really? Ooooh, artistic! But anyway, Grotesque doesn't actually mention Minotaur. I don't know what the tragic, pathetic renunciation is. The new album? Interesting that his or (her?) farewell post has generated so much activity. By not being specific it leaves things open to interpretation that message boards are known for.

I still wonder if it's really him and/or a joke post to see what would happen...

Edited by - Arm Arm Arm on 08/01/2014 00:55:28
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  01:08:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My theory is that drunk Grotesque wrote it.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  05:48:23  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This definitely sounds like an angry drunk topic post. I did one of those back while they were recording and I was pissed nothing was going on. Felt bad afterwards and had to apologize to the man.

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  06:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a little too much Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  08:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indie cindy is good.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  09:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I have a drink
I start to think
I write a post on the forum"
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  22:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Giggle
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  06:14:49  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

"I have a drink
I start to think
I write a post on the forum"

Awesome. Maybe that should replace the ancient "let they walk behind" scrolling headline.

My density has popped me to you.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  01:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an FB interview pre pixies reunion in an old thread that temporarily popped up from a hacked post discussing the potential of a reunion where it was confirmed it wouldn't happen, maybe if it was just Joe / FB and that in general reunions shouldn't be about the money.

Maybe Grotesque read this and that interview made him re-evaluate some things post reunion?

I don't know...everyone has the right to change their mind, circumstances change, people change, motivations change. I don’t think the Pixies reforming and the reunion was about ‘selling out’, or atleast that to me did not appear to be the intention. Their legacy had become so huge that it would have been difficult not to ‘sell out’. Although the Pixies were, and still are, a cult band, they just happen to probably be the biggest cult band on the planet!

I don’t know the reason for the change in attitude towards the Pixies but there was a lot of change around the time of the start of the reunion, what with the Catholics disbanding and a divorce. Maybe the embracing of the Pixies and the big time was seen as a new start or a second chance?

I think the reunion went on a lot longer than anticipated and was likely quite frustrating where BF was writing songs of the quality from Bluefinger / Svn Fngrs intended for the Pixies but ultimately didn’t happen.

I don’t think BF lost any artistic integrity with the release of his solo efforts including the Golem, NSE , the record with Reid Paley, if anything those releases are as solid as any of the previous solo work and took a different direction. Even the Grand Duchy releases brought new ideas and directions which belong to the cult artist stature.

So it’s a little strange to have the solo releases that match the artistic integrity that FB/BF has always had mixed with the Pixies reunion which went on and on without any new material. To me it must have been very frustrating, the comments saying it was only about the money seem to be borne out of frustration at not being able to move forward.

Now That Indie Cindy is done (so to speak), for me I would like to see the day where a Pixies show is 90% new material and 10% classics. Other than that, I don’t have any gripes over artistic integrity whether it be BF solo or Pixies who are the same as they have ever been, only they have evolved over time as has the world around them.

Other than that, who knows! Maybe Pot hacked Grotesque's account?! Whatever Happened to Pot?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000