Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

stoffaboy
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  01:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got hold of my indie cindy rsd vinyl ( I have my sources ) and can confirm
That it includes a 1 sided 7" called women if war , not listed to it yet but will report back later when I have !

By the way . . . It's a very nice package !

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  01:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for that update. I was still wondering about that 7". Not many places mention it.
Now I need to find a way to get a copy...

Do you think this 7" is the only difference between the RSD vinyl and the one that will be released later? Or are there other differences? Maybe it is marked or stickered as "RSD"? Or are the RSD copies numbered, perhaps?

Also, about this vinyl release, is it true that all copies come with a cd copy of the album? I read that somewhere. Could you confirm that?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

stoffaboy
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  02:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sticker, not numbered and no cd but there is a download card included,not sure if this version differs from the normal retail release other than the 7"
I guess we'll find out soon ! I'm hoping the download card also gives access to the bonus track and live songs, will try it later.
Go to Top of Page

stoffaboy
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  06:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok quick update,so you guys know what you are buying on Record Store Day!

the downloads aren't available yet but I have listened to women of war, first impressions are that I wasn't overly impressed although it might be a grower but to me it sounds like an average frank black bside, it lasts about 3 minutes and production wise it sounds like it was culled from the Norton sessions but the most striking thing is the use of prominent ( and rather nice ) female backing vocals, Not sure who provided the vocals as the 7" is blank and no credits are contained for the song, unless its Dubs again, but to these ears it doesn't sound like him ( maybe Violet, Kim S or Paz ? )

Other than that, Bagboy is the slightly alternative mix with the backing vocals removed from the first few verses, I don't think there are any other variations to the versions we've already heard, although , like the 10" Eps, it does sound a hell of a lot better on vinyl!

Inside the gatefold there are black and white artworks that were on the covers of the Eps 1 and 3 and also printed lyrics.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  09:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if this bonus 7" will be included worldwide?
Where did you get your copy, stoffaboy? US? Europe? Elsewhere?

And what exactly is this different Bagboy mix? I've compared the different releases (first free download release vs. EP3 release; I haven't heard the album yet), but can't hear a difference.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

stoffaboy
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  11:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got mine in the UK, I assume the inclusion of the 7" is what makes this RSD release special. The "cover your teeth" backing vocals have been removed from the first few bars, much like how they are playing it live at the moment. This version is actually available to download now on UK itunes.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  12:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up! Does the 7" come with any artwork? I am mulling over whether to bother queuing as I already bought the vinyl off the website before I knew about the RDS issue
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  16:34:25  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Thanks for the heads up! Does the 7" come with any artwork? I am mulling over whether to bother queuing as I already bought the vinyl off the website before I knew about the RDS issue

I am in the same boat. Not sure if I should spring for the RSD version since I already ordered the vinyl online. I am leaning towards buying it.

Religion won't save me, the damage is done. The future has ended before it's begun.
Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  04:07:00  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote

In France, there will be a limited edition in the FNAC stores with orange vinyls. It is promoted as world exclusive.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1099 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  20:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooh, cool! i'm a sucker for silly exclusives like that.

is that just in france, or also in other fnac stores (for example in belgium)?
and will this be released on the normal release date, or on record store day (tomorrow)?

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  13:10:25  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I must ask. I have no hope for this being the case but...

Have they done anything about the rip-your-face-off mastering/compression/limiting issues? Or is it the same as the EPs?

Thanks

"A word to the wise is infuriating."
Go to Top of Page

brickisred
- FB Fan -

France
141 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2014 :  23:21:02  Show Profile  Visit brickisred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

ooh, cool! i'm a sucker for silly exclusives like that.

is that just in france, or also in other fnac stores (for example in belgium)?
and will this be released on the normal release date, or on record store day (tomorrow)?

it's educational

I don't know if it will be available in out of France FNAC stores. Maybe as an import.

It will be released on the normal date and priced like the standard vinyl version. Actually, you can already pre-order it on their website.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  05:44:54  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2014/04/19/pixies-women-of-war-record-store-day-single/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  05:52:31  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Picked mine up today, looking forward to rocking out as soon as the wife wakes up (she works nights)

Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  07:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please (please, please, puh-leeze!) rip and upload "Women of War" online somewhere? I haven't owned a turntable since the Clinton era and I'm not going to go buy one for one song but I really want to hear it and download it. Thanks!

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  07:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please (please, please, puh-leeze!) rip and upload "Women of War" online somewhere? I haven't owned a turntable since the Clinton era and I'm not going to go buy one for one song but I really want to hear it and download it. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  08:12:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The song is great.

The best backing vocals of the bunch. Is that Dave on the low vocals?
Jeremy on the high vocals? Or Paz? Violet I guess!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  08:14:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frans vocal is also pretty 'live'. Online subtle fx and compression.

The song itself is not full of hooks, but has some really nice work by Joey

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  08:20:34  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The chorus, however, is super catchy.
Don't want to overhype this, there are better songs on the album.
It's a lot nicer on the ears, production wise

Go to Top of Page

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  09:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, uh, rip?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1221 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  09:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes somebody please rip! I queued for 2 hrs today and it was sold out by the time I got into the shop :(
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  11:22:50  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. Sounds more even than the EP's in production terms. Still powerful, but seems slightly moderated. (edit: fyi the difference is so slight that it may be in my imagination)

The package is top notch quality-wise. Definitely worth picking up if you dig vinyl. Much easier to deal with than the 2 songs per side EP if you want to listen to all the new stuff in one sitting. They had 12 at the famous Attic here in Pittsburgh and they were gone by 930 (They open at 8). I stopped going out on RSD a couple years ago because it was just getting too crazy - there were MF-er's camped outside The Attic a 6pm the NIGHT BEFORE for first dibs at a Cake boxed set. Considering the line to get in was around the block, I guess if you really want it, let 'er rip. I'm so into records though, every day is RSD for me, so whatever. This one brought me out of the house though.

Anyway, the war track - not bad. It's a nice little addition. I do not have the tech to rip it, sorry, just be patient I'm sure it will get out there very very soon. It definitely sounds B-sidish. Actually if you told me it was an outtake from the Catholics era I wouldn't bat an eye.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 04/19/2014 11:31:08
Go to Top of Page

sadpunk74
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  15:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a really really quick vinyl rip...

http://wikisend.com/download/958396/Women_Of_War_ RSD14 .mp3

Edited by - sadpunk74 on 04/19/2014 15:56:01
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

294 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  17:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sadpunk74

Thank you, Sadpunk!
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  20:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sadpunk74

Thanks much.

I like it, as mentioned it's catchy. Sounds FB in spots, pixies in others. Vocals a little low for me but I'd agree that the production does sound a bit better. Seems like this might be the new song Joey posted about a few months back that they were working on with Paz?

It's playful and upbeat, probably better than 4-5 tracks on the album. Very cool.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  20:56:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it sounds live. Not too many overdubs, this could be the Paz track.
Also the guitars are panned right and left as in the good old Catholics days.

The vinyl sounds great, better than the ep's but that's probably my imagination

Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  21:29:59  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool, thanks for sharing this! Was hoping to pick up a copy with the limited 7" but im on vacationa nd couldn't make it to a record store. In some ways I like this more than any other new song they've released in the last year.... mostly because it's fast, poppy, simple and fairly short. It has an energy to it the other recorded tracks are missing... If this was recorded live (with minimal overdubs) I say they should keep doing it this way.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  21:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Women Of War is playful but sounds more like vintage pop-rock than Pixies, almost like Blondie
Glad to hear it, but glad also it's not on the album

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Oui
- FB Fan -

52 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  22:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Women of War is a damn fun song. Love it. I like the 'build high' like laughs. They better get back in the studio ASAP. Joey sounds great.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2014 :  23:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a fun song. Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  03:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for sharing this.

I like it better than some of the songs on the LP too. It's short and fun with great vocal harmonies.

Now if only they'd release Classic Masher...

Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  05:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sadpunk.

Nice b-side, it would have been a weak link on the LP, though.

quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

In some ways I like this more than any other new song they've released in the last year.... mostly because it's fast, poppy, simple and fairly short. It has an energy to it the other recorded tracks are missing... If this was recorded live (with minimal overdubs) I say they should keep doing it this way.

Agreed. It does have a fun, loose feeling to it, unlike almost any of the songs on the LP, which all seem very serious and self-conscious of having to live up to what came before. Corrina, I Sent Away, Six-Legged Man, all have this fun energy that the new LP could have used.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  06:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BF confirms on twitter that Women of War is the first studio track recorded with Paz.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  06:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the 'Indie Cindy' songs a lot, but this genuinely sounds like a band playing together. Great vocal arrangement too.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  06:35:40  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

BF confirms on twitter that Women of War is the first studio track recorded with Paz.

Awesome. I hope they stick with her, she's the kitten's mittens. I would LOVE to see them go the old Catholics route and just start bangin' 'em out one a year or so. That raw approach works so well for Charles. Doesn't have to be set in stone direct to two track or anything, but just strip it back and let it rip.

He strikes me as a guy with the old John Lennon approach to songwriting/recording. Write it in the morning, record it in the afternoon, press it and ship it the next day.

Go to Top of Page

trevgreg
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2014 :  06:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

[quote]

It's playful and upbeat, probably better than 4-5 tracks on the album. Very cool.

Agreed on all counts.

Thanks for sharing SP74!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000